Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2021, 10:59   #5311
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Between Bergamont Helix 1.5 and Marin Fairfax 1, what would be better for City roads?

Links below.

https://www.marinbikes.com/in/bikes/2021-fairfax-1

https://bergamont.sportnetwork.in/be...e-my-2021.html
Don't have any experience with Bergamont, but I am owning and using a Marin Fairfax SC1 bike for last 2.9 years. The bike has been absolutely troublefree and never let me down. The max I have ridden it in a single day is 106 kms and felt like I can easily go another 100 kms, it is that effortless.

However when I checked on the above Marin link that you shared I observed that although the bike now comes with a disc brake version (mine was shoe brake), but they have degraded the rear derailleur. It now comes with a Shimano Tourney, 7-Speed, whereas my version came with a Shimano Acera, 8-Speed. DERAILLEUR, FRONT remains the same, Shimano TY510 on both versions.

Having said that even the Bergamont has both the rear and front DERAILLEUR as Tourney only (TX800). The Fairfax has a clear advantage here that it comes with disc brakes both front and rear. The Fairfax 2, though has a DERAILLEUR, REAR made up of Shimano Acera Shadow, 8-Speed. It would be around 10-12K costlier that the Fairfax 1.

So I would suggest if budget permits go for the Fairfax 2. If not then Fairfax 1 would be a better choice over Bergamont.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 11:24   #5312
BANNED

What is the weight of fairfax? I think the SC + discs make the fairfax.
Old 10th February 2021, 11:59   #5313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan42 View Post
Joining the cycling bandwagon (in Bangalore), with the 2020 Montra Downtown. The price of the bike has inflated by quite a bit over the past 12 months, but I felt it's still a very good bike for the price. Hoping for many happy miles, and will follow this thread keenly for tips and updates!
It a very decent hybrid and it looks even nicer in this color.

That's a really nice saddle. Is it after market or stock with the bike. If its stock with the bike, can you find out the cost please.

Its probably the best saddle I've seen on an Indian bike. Very reminiscent of the weird and wacky but very effective (and very costly) Selle SMP saddles.

Cheers, Doc
Old 10th February 2021, 12:17   #5314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
It a very decent hybrid and it looks even nicer in this color.

That's a really nice saddle. Is it after market or stock with the bike. If its stock with the bike, can you find out the cost please.

Its probably the best saddle I've seen on an Indian bike. Very reminiscent of the weird and wacky but very effective (and very costly) Selle SMP saddles.

Cheers, Doc
Hi Doc,

This is a stock saddle that came with the bike. It's XMR branded (product description has the following info- XMR Comfort Saddle, High Density Foam, Steel Rail). It's an excellent saddle, although I'm yet to test it out on longer distances. Barely any sag, and with the perfect low amount of cushioning for my skinny butt I'll see if I can find the price for it, I'll check with the dealer (unlikely that he'll know though).
Sudarshan42 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 12:34   #5315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan42 View Post
Hi Doc,

This is a stock saddle that came with the bike. It's XMR branded (product description has the following info- XMR Comfort Saddle, High Density Foam, Steel Rail). It's an excellent saddle, although I'm yet to test it out on longer distances. Barely any sag, and with the perfect low amount of cushioning for my skinny butt I'll see if I can find the price for it, I'll check with the dealer (unlikely that he'll know though).
Just checked the pricing of the 2020 Downtown. Shocking man! 22,500 bucks from what was a very decent 11,000 bucks and then 14,000 bucks from launch to just a year or two ago.

The Trance Pro in comparison used to be around 17,000 bucks and is now about 24,000. Just 1,500 more than the Downtown, but offering a much better drivetrain.

They've revised the frame of the Trance Pro too. Especially in the rear dropout area.

And given both bikes dual discs.

Thanks for the confirmation on the saddle. I'll check it out here as well. XMR makes good low priced stuff.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 10th February 2021 at 12:36.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 13:44   #5316
BHPian

I plan to get back to cycling after a gap of close to 20+ years !
Based on my current routine, I go on 5-8 KMs walk on a daily basis. Planning to alternate with cycling.

Need help with few basic points
  • What brand do you guys recommend. Budget is 20K.
  • What features are mandatory - Disc Brake ?
  • How frequent is the service needed
  • How is the service priced on an average
Old 10th February 2021, 14:59   #5317
BHPian

What are some good stores in Bangalore to go and check out or test ride a bicycle for a beginner? Budget is around 30k. Decathlons have run dry. Someone mentioned Bums on the saddle in Jayanagar. Anything near Marathahalli or Indiranagar?
Old 10th February 2021, 16:03   #5318
BHPian

^ Guys, Bicycles are in short supply. You don't have much option to choose. Go to the shop and check what is available and based on that, choose your bike.

You need to wait till June for more options. I called Trek dealers in Bangalore (Jayant and Shah bikes) for Trek road bike, both mentioned that I need to wait for few more months. BTW, they mentioned that Marin and some other brands are available. I don't much idea about these brands.

How about Triban RC100? It is available for online order I think. It is really light, but gears are not great. You will look pro with those drop bars.

I wish I bought a drop bar road bike instead of a hybrid.

The Bicycles thread-triban-rc100.png

Last edited by amvj : 10th February 2021 at 16:09.
amvj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 16:26   #5319
Senior - BHPian

Unfortunately that's the fact. Stores have run dry. Try Track n Trail, or get on any of these FB groups selling bikes, both new as well as second hand (Cyclops, for EG)
Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
What are some good stores in Bangalore to go and check out or test ride a bicycle for a beginner? Budget is around 30k. Decathlons have run dry. Someone mentioned Bums on the saddle in Jayanagar. Anything near Marathahalli or Indiranagar?
Old 10th February 2021, 17:50   #5320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post
How about Triban RC100? It is available for online order I think. It is really light, but gears are not great. You will look pro with those drop bars.
In my opinion, there isn't a better bike right now in the 20k bracket. In India. And I've seen so many of these on the roads in Europe that I guess the firangs with their access to the cream of the crop of bikes internationally also love this simple elegant bike.

About the 1x gearing, sure its not ideal. The new RC 100 has a 44 teeth crank with a 12-28 cassette.

The older one had a 48 teeth crank with a 14-34 MegaRange freewheel.

Both are 7 speed. And you're basically missing one (or two) really high gear for the descents, and one (or two) really low gear for the steeper longer climbs, from a full gear range bike like a 3x hybrid or a 2x roadie. Equivalent to being stuck in the big ring of a hybrid.

The older one was a better climber and dual roader. The newer one is a faster more road oriented machine. Both are compromised in terms of overall gear range, but if you are not planning to race or climb steep long hills, both will do nearly all else, including fitness riding and urban commutes, touring and bike-packing, 300-400 km brevets, and even general adventure and mild trail riding.

The USP is the lightweight frame and decent wheels. And Decathlon support for spares, service, and warranty. Something I have not seen any other manufacturer, local or imported, match here in India. And everyone claims that its a really comfortable bike in terms of build and geometry.

You will realise what I'm saying when you bend a derailleur hanger and find that there isn't one for sale in India short of ridiculous 3-400% markups (3500-4000 bucks for that small alloy piece), and then you go to Decathlon and find the store having multiple pieces for both the Triban roadies as well as Rock Rider MTBs for 300-400 bucks a piece.

And trust me, it happens (more than one can imagine). Bending or breaking a hanger and having your bike off the road for want of a spare.

Ditto innocuous little parts like seat post clamps. Enough to bring you to a grinding halt.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 10th February 2021 at 18:12.
ebonho is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 18:24   #5321
BANNED

I visited the Bergamont dealer. Revox is in stock. Helix Deliveries have started. But a fresh booking will take c1 month for delivery. Or an on line purchase with delivery @ dealer location. The Szel showroom is on way back. The Kogin uses Acera components and has a cassette, while the grafit uses a freewheel. The grafit uses a steel frame while Kogin has an aluminium frame. Son rode Kogin and said "it'll do". He also says the Helix (there was size L there) handles were lower than the seat, and he does not want in that way. (Lean down). I did not want mental blocks at this stage. Besides, he was 😎🤩❤ after a test ride. So paid more than the Marin or the Helix. ₹ 34k + a helmet @ 1800 for my daughter.
Old 10th February 2021, 21:20   #5322
Senior - BHPian

Finally received my Finishline products. Didn't know these are from Canada. The Bike wash is especially good, since it covers everything on the bike. There is a fine steel mesh that gives it a bit of fizz. Finished cleaning my Scott, and it looks brand new. Saved me a packet (Compared to BOTS service)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhound82 View Post
Given a good wash to my cycle. Used following consumables and tools; Finishline shampoo,Finishline dry lube
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-img_9361.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 21:43   #5323
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
The Kogin uses Acera components
Oops. It is Altus. Not Acera. Apologies.
Old 11th February 2021, 13:05   #5324
Senior - BHPian

Trying to figure out a lightweight alternative to this Btwin multitool which is great, but weighs as much as a small rock.

The Bicycles thread-img_20210210_195436.jpg

I guess for most regular non long distance rides (including weekend rides within a 160-200 km radius) two basic allen keys should be enough. The one that fits into the big saddle bolt at the base, and the one that fits into all of these - caliper and derailleur cable bolts, brake cartridge bolts, and stem and seat post clamp bolts.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 11th February 2021 at 13:09.
Old 11th February 2021, 14:15   #5325
BANNED

97 gms.

Hey! Checkout this product on Decathlon App https://www.decathlon.in/qr/8386669/-1

156 gm

Hey! Checkout this product on Decathlon App https://www.decathlon.in/qr/8385878/-1

AmazonBasics one which I have is 21x gms. As the doc said find the appropriate tool for your seat post, handlebar, brake adjustment wheels, and tyre removal.

Most Viewed