Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2021, 13:33   #5926
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhound82 View Post
This is the one am using and it is value for money. you can try to get a portable pump too
Thanks man!

Figured a floor pump for home use would be easier. I have no courage to go long distance right away to necessitate a portable pump and carry all that with me. I guess in a month i will slowly work myself up to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Yup should be fine. A friend has the same one.

Attachment 2173436

I have an older more expensive version (900 I think) where the dial gauge markings have smaller units for greater accuracy. Also since I have cycles at home with all types of valves, I bought extra the two sided adaptor from decathlon to replace this fidgety one that requires a lot 9f acrobatics to change from Presta to Shraeder and vice versa. On the new valve there's just a lever. Simple and worth it if you have many bikes.

Attachment 2173427

Cheers, Doc
https://www.decathlon.in/p/8385480/c...8385480&type=p

Guess thats the one you have in blue.

I just have the one roadie with the presta valve. Cant i have the presta set up configured permanently for use on one bike?
Old 1st July 2021, 13:39   #5927
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
https://www.decathlon.in/p/8385480/c...8385480&type=p

Guess thats the one you have in blue.

I just have the one roadie with the presta valve. Cant i have the presta set up configured permanently for use on one bike?
Check the P.S. I added to my previous post.

If you have only one bike (Presta) and both dials do not have the smaller markings (not only do they not have markings for 5 like 95, 105, 115 etc. but they also do not have the bolder markings for the odd 10s like 70, 90, 110 etc.) then you might as well save a 1000 bucks and buy the cheaper 500 and keep the valve adaptor set for Presta valves.

My pump is close to 5 years old now.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 1st July 2021 at 13:42.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 13:45   #5928
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
P.S. Sadly the new 900 has the two way valve adaptor, but the dial is the same as the 500. No smaller markings. You will have to guesstimate.
Ok.Now i begin to understand. So i could be shooting anywhere between 100-120 psi. I understand how important close to perfect tyre pressure is. Annoying but important.

So what would the team recommend? Man that topeak one which our friend Sebring got is eye wateringly expensive at 3100.

Edit: cant i just use this at home and portable too? Connect it to a presta valve? https://www.cyclop.in/products/mi-po...air-compressor

Last edited by Red Liner : 1st July 2021 at 13:51.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 13:54   #5929
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok.Now i begin to understand. So i could be shooting anywhere between 100-120 psi. I understand how important close to perfect tyre pressure is. Annoying but important.

So what would the team recommend? Man that topeak one which our friend Sebring got is eye wateringly expensive at 3100.
Correct. On a road bike with thin tyres, a few psi here or there makes a big difference to feel and handling and braking as well as to frequency of punctures.

Also Topeak is guaranteed top tier quality. And the difference is only 600 bucks.

P.S. Topeak and Bontrager and Cateye and Garmin are all pricey big dollar stuff. But when you feel sad, just compare to your motorcycle prices and you will feel a cloud lift from around your head and the sun will shine again.

Look, you guys are younger. I have 3 kids, 2 of whom are adults now. I have sort of given up trying to find the "best" deal the day I discovered what each of their very frequent swiggy and dunzo orders cost. I'm not even getting into the number of Amazon cartons floating all around the house.

I have only one hobby. So its ok to spend on it.

Quote:
Edit: cant i just use this at home and portable too? Connect it to a presta valve? https://www.cyclop.in/products/mi-po...air-compressor
Check out the videos. It takes hours to fill. I'm not sure if it can fill up to and beyond 100 psi. To my mind, nothing can replace the convenience and efficiency of a good floor pump. So much so that its very common to find big mtb groups, having one faccha designated as the guy who will carry a floor pump in a rucksack on his back, on a group ride.

Last edited by ebonho : 1st July 2021 at 14:04.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 14:05   #5930
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Correct. On a road bike with thin tyres, a few psi here or there makes a big difference to feel and handling and braking as well as to frequency of punctures.

Also Topeak is guaranteed top tier quality. And the difference is only 600 bucks.

P.S. Topeak and Bontrager and Cateye and Garmin are all pricey big dollar stuff. But when you feel sad, just compare to your motorcycle prices and you will feel a cloud lift from around your head and the sun will shine again.

Look, you guys are younger. I have 3 kids, 2 of whom are adults now. I have sort of given up trying to find the "best" deal the day I discovered what each of their very frequent swiggy and dunzo orders cost. I'm not even getting into the number of Amazon cartons floating all around the house.

I have only one hobby. So its ok to spend on it.

Check out the videos. It takes hours to fill. I'm not sure if it can fill up to and beyond 100 psi.
Hmm. Sad man. I have no kids and i dont even order on swiggy or dunzo. I starve off one meal a day (fashionably called fasting) and save money for all this.

So i guess topeak for the top dollar. This MI thing seemed interesting because there is no legwork involved pun intended and its portable too.

Says 145 psi max. Sold on Cyclops as well. https://www.cyclop.in/products/mi-po...air-compressor

Last edited by Red Liner : 1st July 2021 at 14:08.
Old 1st July 2021, 14:14   #5931
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So i guess topeak for the top dollar. This MI thing seemed interesting because there is no legwork involved pun intended and its portable too.
You can check out Icetoolz too. Good pumps. Lots of the hardcore local bike shops use them, so they must be good.

Quote:
Says 145 psi max. Sold on Cyclops as well. https://www.cyclop.in/products/mi-po...air-compressor
This is the most common portable road bike pump used by many -

https://www.cyclop.in/products/iceto...ini-floor-pump

There are other versions of the same sold by other brands. The original ones must all be getting made in the same factory in China and branded (and priced) differently. I think the original Chinese brand is Giyo (which is also available on Cyclop and Amazon for around 1500 ... i.e. 800 bucks less).

It has a gauge too. But no, it cannot double up for your home floor pump (been there, wondered that). Coz it simply takes way too much effort and you wouldnot want to be doing that daily.

Last edited by ebonho : 1st July 2021 at 14:24.
Old 1st July 2021, 17:24   #5932
BHPian

I am 42. 174 cm height and 85 kg weight. Suffering from chronic neck and back issues (spondylosis). Have had enough of constant health struggles and wanted to start work out to recover decent stamina and fitness.

As of now have set a goal of walking 10K steps per day and managed to do it for almost a month now and some 15 to 20 minutes of mild exercises. can feel difference already.

Planning to start indoor cycling as i cannot risk outdoor due to mild vertigo issue. Thinking of getting the below cycle. Please share your thoughts.

https://www.theflexnest.com/products/the-flexbike
Old 1st July 2021, 17:33   #5933
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_madhan View Post
I am 42. 174 cm height and 85 kg weight. Suffering from chronic neck and back issues (spondylosis)......

Planning to start indoor cycling as i cannot risk outdoor due to mild vertigo issue.
Something like a Triban RC100 + Basic Home trainer would be an investment for the future, compared to the option you posted. You'll graduate to road cycling soon enough if you persist.

I was in way worse a condition than what you describe 5-6 years ago. All the best!

Last edited by roy_libran : 1st July 2021 at 17:38.
roy_libran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 17:42   #5934
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Something like a Triban RC100 + Basic Home trainer would be an investment for the future, compared to the option you posted. You'll graduate to road cycling soon enough if you persist.

I was in way worse a condition than what you describe 5-6 years ago. All the best!
Thanks. This seems like a good idea too. Will explore.
Old 1st July 2021, 17:50   #5935
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_madhan View Post
Thanks. This seems like a good idea too. Will explore.
It is
The cycle will help you venture outside your home soon enough.
The home trainer will come in handy during rains or bad weather days in the future.
Consider getting the higher trainer model if you can fit it in your budget, it's way quieter.
roy_libran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 18:06   #5936
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Would be motivating and great to hear your story and journey sometime. Please do point me to where I can read about it if already here.
Old 1st July 2021, 19:26   #5937
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is
The cycle will help you venture outside your home soon enough.
The home trainer will come in handy during rains or bad weather days in the future.
Consider getting the higher trainer model if you can fit it in your budget, it's way quieter.
Roy, don't you also need a different tyre for the cycle to use it on the indoor trainer?
starter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 19:27   #5938
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Roy, don't you also need a different tyre for the cycle to use it on the indoor trainer?
I am trying not to scare him off on the first day
Of course there are some extras needed.

Quote:
Would be motivating and great to hear your story and journey sometime. Please do point me to where I can read about it if already here.
There is no story there, just the usual stuff. In a nutshell -
A family-man, progeny, 35+, 100+ Cervical, Vertigo, Fatty Liver, riding a stupid RE TB, staring down the barrel of a gun with withering romantic prospects, when I decided to make the 40's better than the 30's! Typical mid-life stuff.

Quit alcohol and sweets (Bong!) wholesale, transformed diet, bought a cycle (Montra Blues) and collapsed after my first 15 km ride. Kept at it, upgraded to a Triban 520 and did a couple of Brevets. Left my SR dreams because to take better care of the 'nether twins'. Realized that cardio alone won't cut it, so moved on to Strength training. Built muscle slowly and steadily. No supplements other than good quality protein and very rarely BCAA. Learnt boxing and was getting ready for my first ring fight when COVID hit and that plan went down the drain. Upgraded cycle to RC 500. In the meanwhile bought (and sold) a RC 390 (and lament it every day), a Versys 650 and an Xpulse. Kicked the old RE TB down some drain somewhere. Continuing to focus on sleep, incorporated regular IF (courtesy GRAAJA), a mix of road cycling and strength training, lots of black coffee and an endless supply of the darkest chocolates.
Now well on the wrong side of 40, 75ish since last 3 years and maintaining this with approx. BP 95/45, pulse 45, but DAMN no improvement in romantic prospects. All down the drain I suppose, so why write anything more verbose?

Last edited by roy_libran : 1st July 2021 at 19:42.
roy_libran is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 20:12   #5939
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I , but DAMN no improvement in romantic prospects. All down the drain I suppose, so why write anything more verbose? [/i]
Well the romantic prospects might escalate into 3 kids ordering off your credit card on swiggy - so i call it's alright! Lol!

Just a matter of motivation for folks like us who have just begun our cycling journey. I like slow travel a lot, amd cycling probably helps encourage more of that.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 20:15   #5940
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I Now well on the wrong side of 40, 75ish since last 3 years and maintaining this with approx. BP 95/45, pulse 45, but DAMN no improvement in romantic prospects. All down the drain I suppose, so why write anything more verbose? [/i]
That is very low blood pressure buddy. Fantastic resting pulse. What's your peak HR? Mine is 52 and 183 (a few isolated 185s and one 195 ... but that was when my battery had nearly gone out and the HRM was acting funny).

Quote:
Well the romantic prospects might escalate into 3 kids ordering off your credit card on swiggy - so i call it's alright! Lol!

Just a matter of motivation for folks like us who have just begun our cycling journey. I like slow travel a lot, amd cycling probably helps encourage more of that.
Lol true. Takes a lot of romance for 3 nowadays too.

I've noticed that there is a generation in their late 20s to early to mid 30s and that is distinctly different thinking to us from late 30s to late 40s.

Teens to early 20s are a different species.

Last edited by ebonho : 1st July 2021 at 20:22.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks