Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2021, 15:47   #5881
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
These Decathlon helmets... I don't know i didn't feel too happy in them. Ofcourse i come from super well fitting motorcycle helmets.

What to do?
Fitting or quality wise ? I will suggest to buy the one which is available in the market(if there is a shortage of other brands) and later iterate to a new one . Be on the cycle asap and start exploring the handling, gears, climbs and valleys. Try to prepare for the first 50km and then 100

Happy cycling
greyhound82 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 16:06   #5882
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
These Decathlon helmets... I don't know i didn't feel too happy in them. Ofcourse i come from super well fitting motorcycle helmets.

What to do?
To be honest, I am not surprised.

For anyone with a slightly large-ish head (or anyone who does not have a small/normal head) the fit is pretty high up on the dorkometer.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 16:12   #5883
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post

For anyone with a slightly large-ish head (or anyone who does not have a small/normal head) the fit is pretty high up on the dorkometer.

Cheers, Doc
Speaking of Decathlon Gear / Kit, Doc do you use any rain jacket ? Tried the ones at Decathlon and since the RC 500 is already Blue didnt want to rock that colour as it would look as if I completely raided their store for that colour and the neon one is just too loud for my taste.
Old 28th June 2021, 16:21   #5884
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Cheers, Doc
I am actually 54 cms exact measured. And only XS helmets fit me perfectly. But these decathlon helmets…I felt very weird. Just didn’t get the right feel of protection. Or am I expecting too much coming from motorcycles?
Old 28th June 2021, 16:21   #5885
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnniHilat0R View Post
Speaking of Decathlon Gear / Kit, Doc do you use any rain jacket ? Tried the ones at Decathlon and since the RC 500 is already Blue didnt want to rock that colour as it would look as if I completely raided their store for that colour and the neon one is just too loud for my taste.
Ya I have the purple one which I bought in a larger than normal size to fit over my motorcycle jacket.

I cannot ride in a rain jacket while cycling because I have a body that starts overheating very quickly in such.

Best is the white colored pro windcheater. That one is very close to the ones the pro tour riders wear. I think its now been replaced by an ugly neon yellow one with a black back panel.

The material of these windcheaters allows your body to breathe, is really thin and is like fabric, so your body does not sweat inside it. Unlike the raincoat (the blue one you are talking about) which is thicker and more plasticky.

The windcheater is also good for light rains but it really excels as an additional removable layer in the early morning or late night chill. Instead of a long sleeve jersey (which you are stuck with throughout the day once the sun comes up) or arm warmers (which are not adequate in certain seasons of Poona).

A great piece of kit definitely.

Quote:
I am actually 54 cms exact measured. And only XS helmets fit me perfectly. But these decathlon helmets…I felt very weird. Just didn’t get the right feel of protection. Or am I expecting too much coming from motorcycles?
You will then specifically have to look for brands that make shells that fit very small heads well. I would not suggest the junior helmets because very rarely are they built for serious riding speeds.

The in-mould BTwin helmets are built to conform to the same EN 1078 international standards that the pricier imports are rated for. I've crashed in one (the Rockrider XC). I have seen another roadie crash in the 2,999 one. So tried and tested! Have posted the post crash photos of both helmets here on this thread last year (around November).

Here ...

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ml#post4955224

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 28th June 2021 at 16:33.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 16:59   #5886
BHPian

Quote:
Ya I have the purple one which I bought in a larger than normal size to fit over my motorcycle jacket.

I cannot ride in a rain jacket while cycling because I have a body that starts overheating very quickly in such.

Best is the white colored pro windcheater. That one is very close to the ones the pro tour riders wear. I think its now been replaced by an ugly neon yellow one with a black back panel.

The material of these windcheaters allows your body to breathe, is really thin and is like fabric, so your body does not sweat inside it. Unlike the raincoat (the blue one you are talking about) which is thicker and more plasticky.

The windcheater is also good for light rains but it really excels as an additional removable layer in the early morning or late night chill. Instead of a long sleeve jersey (which you are stuck with throughout the day once the sun comes up) or arm warmers (which are not adequate in certain seasons of Poona).

A great piece of kit definitely.

Cheers, Doc
Could you please post the link to the Purple one ?

I too felt quite warm in that rain jacket so was quite unsure as it was quite a heavy fabric. Is this the white one you are referring to ?

VAN RYSEL WINDBREAKER ROADR UV PROTECT

Cause I tried this and its really light....quite loved it but the Decathlon guy there kept on chirping in my ear that it will wont be any good for our rains and will land up getting drenched.
Old 28th June 2021, 17:09   #5887
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Could you please post the link to the Purple one ?

I too felt quite warm in that rain jacket so was quite unsure as it was quite a heavy fabric. Is this the white one you are referring to ?

VAN RYSEL WINDBREAKER ROADR UV PROTECT

Cause I tried this and its really light....quite loved it but the Decathlon guy there kept on chirping in my ear that it will wont be any good for our rains and will land up getting drenched.
Yes! That's the white one. Its out of stock everywhere, and unlikely to come back. If you are getting one, buy it eyes closed. You will be miserable in a rain coat on the bike. Trust me.

Here's a review by road.cc of the newer version ...

https://road.cc/content/review/26632...cycling-jacket

The idea is not to keep you bone dry. But just add a protective layer to keep you warm and protected from the physical onslaught. And still not steam you up inside so that you overheat from inside.

The good thing about cycling is that you will dry off pretty quickly once it stops raining. Of course its important that you have a lot of lubricant (even coconut oil in a pinch) on your nether regions to prevent the wet lycra from giving you a bad rash.

The purple one I have is a generic rain coat. Not cycling specific. Its really good though and squeezes tight into its own pocket and zips up into a small size that fits easily into your jersey back pocket (or inside your motorcycle jacket's inner pocket).

This is the one (I got it on sale for 299 at the time) ...

https://www.decathlon.in/p/8300325/r...zip-nh100-blue

In fact I liked it so much that eventually my kids too bought themselves one each too. Lol

In terms of rain protection it will be less than the blue cycling rain jacket but more than the white windbreaker. And similarly on the heat and sweating - less than the blue and more than the white.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 28th June 2021 at 17:39.
Old 28th June 2021, 18:09   #5888
Senior - BHPian

Here is road.cc 's review of the white windbreaker (albeit in the neon color) ...

https://road.cc/content/review/13704...ht-wind-jacket

Cheers, Doc
Old 28th June 2021, 20:20   #5889
BHPian

Quote:
Yes! That's the white one. Its out of stock everywhere, and unlikely to come back. If you are getting one, buy it eyes closed. You will be miserable in a rain coat on the bike. Trust me.

Here's a review by road.cc of the newer version ...

https://road.cc/content/review/26632...cycling-jacket

The idea is not to keep you bone dry. But just add a protective layer to keep you warm and protected from the physical onslaught. And still not steam you up inside so that you overheat from inside.

The good thing about cycling is that you will dry off pretty quickly once it stops raining. Of course its important that you have a lot of lubricant (even coconut oil in a pinch) on your nether regions to prevent the wet lycra from giving you a bad rash.

The purple one I have is a generic rain coat. Not cycling specific. Its really good though and squeezes tight into its own pocket and zips up into a small size that fits easily into your jersey back pocket (or inside your motorcycle jacket's inner pocket).

This is the one (I got it on sale for 299 at the time) ...

https://www.decathlon.in/p/8300325/r...zip-nh100-blue

In fact I liked it so much that eventually my kids too bought themselves one each too. Lol

In terms of rain protection it will be less than the blue cycling rain jacket but more than the white windbreaker. And similarly on the heat and sweating - less than the blue and more than the white.

Cheers, Doc
Quote:
Here is road.cc 's review of the white windbreaker (albeit in the neon color) ...

https://road.cc/content/review/13704...ht-wind-jacket

Cheers, Doc
Thanks a ton Doc....always appreciate your replies not to mention the knowledge/tips which you impart. Helps a lot

Will visit Decthalon and try the Blue one out to see how the fabric feels if not will get the White one
AnniHilat0R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 21:06   #5890
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a ton Doc....always appreciate your replies not to mention the knowledge/tips which you impart. Helps a lot

Will visit Decthalon and try the Blue one out to see how the fabric feels if not will get the White one
Check the specs on the water resistance Vs breathability on the website for all three.

Bears out what I surmised seat of my pants.

Cheers, Doc
Old 28th June 2021, 21:48   #5891
BHPian

My strongest 100K thus far. Sub 4 hour elapsed time looked very possible. Made an early start but heat and humidity played spoiled sport. Alas, the last 20kms took me almost 1.5 hours and total elapsed time was 4.5 hours. Still a good ride for me nonetheless.

The Bicycles thread-screenshot_20210628214249.jpg
promit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 21:56   #5892
Senior - BHPian

Got this from the local cycling group

Decathlon is conducting an online tutorial on home bike maintenance https://www.allforsport.in/event-det...6-f36f16b8d051
Old 29th June 2021, 09:37   #5893
Senior - BHPian

Nice one

Cam Nichols says the same on cleat location.

Cheers, Doc
Old 29th June 2021, 13:28   #5894
BHPian

I was looking for quick and easily removable shopping basket for my city bike. Most mainstream ones come with complex designs like click system with a holder attached to the handlebar/stem with the basket being attached to this holder. Then the basket can be detached to take it to shopping or keep it at home when not needed. But this leaves the holder still stuck ugly on the stem when basket is not attached. This is the one example with holder+basket.

The Bicycles thread-download-3.jpeg

So I was looking for a clean solution, where if I take the basket out, then nothing related to basket should be on the bike. I have seen such a basket somewhere, but I couldn't find it in any stores. Until few days ago, when I stumbled upon it's name on pinterest and someone was even selling this new on marktplaats (ebay equivalent in NL). I bought it for 15EUR incl. shipping. This is almost half the price of the normal one sold with bracket. It does the job quite well. I like the functional design and clever usage of plastic injection moulding. IIt comes as 3 parts: the basket, handles and the support for butting against the headtube.

The Bicycles thread-1.jpg

The Bicycles thread-2.jpg

The Bicycles thread-3.jpg

The Bicycles thread-4.jpg

The Bicycles thread-5.jpg

The Bicycles thread-6.jpg

Last edited by carthick1000 : 29th June 2021 at 13:30.
carthick1000 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 14:50   #5895
BHPian

Quote:
Nice one

Cam Nichols says the same on cleat location.

Cheers, Doc
Is it just me ?
Of all the items in the cycling world, a Cleat Shoe somehow seem to be at the bottom of the "want" list when it comes to getting cycling accessories. Maybe the last but one.. the last being the "girly basket" to hang in front of the handlebar which is on the previous post..

No offense to anyone..

I seem to be content with a normal hard soled light weight pair of sneakers.
Fillmore is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks