Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2021, 21:32   #5746
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by papr23 View Post
RC120 seem to have a dual chainring at the front. Wouldn't that be a problem for not so fit occasional tourer to ride on the hills, say when compared to a typical hybrid like Trek FX series that has 3 rings?
No, not really. Regardless of the number of potential gear combinations, most drivetrains eventually land up having only 10-12 (max) unique ratios, as there is a lot of overlap in the ratios between the chain rings, wherein you will get essentially the same ratio in the big ring as well as the middle ring, 1-2 gear shifts away, and similarly between the middle ring and the small ring. That's how you now have SRAM (with Shimano now following) making 12 speed cassettes for the rear and having all the ratios of a 2x system in a 1x system.

Yes the small "granny" ring on hybrids and MTBs does give you an additional 2-3 lower ratios than what you get in typical road bike gearing, but it surprisingly does not "feel" like that while actually climbing because quite simply the road bike is a totally different beast. A natural much more efficient mountain goat. Where it's light weight and seating and handle grip geometry really shines while powering up.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 16th June 2021 at 21:47.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 22:05   #5747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
No, not really.

Yes the small "granny" ring on hybrids and MTBs does give you an additional 2-3 lower ratios than what you get in typical road bike gearing...
Spoken like a true roadie, Doc!
I get a feeling that there may not be much difference but the third ring does help a recreational rider.
The third ring (smallest) at the front and biggest ring at the rear is my favorite on the hills and it reminds me of this:
Name:  20080401.gif
Views: 956
Size:  57.8 KB

Source
papr23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 22:12   #5748
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by papr23 View Post
Spoken like a true roadie, Doc!
I get a feeling that there may not be much difference but the third ring does help a recreational rider.
The third ring (smallest) at the front and biggest ring at the rear is my favorite on the hills and it reminds me of this:
Attachment 2167958

Source
On the lowest ratio on my ACT, 28 in front and 34 behind, on the steepest bits of Lavasa, I'm doing about 4-5 kmph. So yes, if you're fresh and not fatigued from the climb already, you can probably get off and walk up as fast.

The lowest ratio on my CAAD is 34 in front and 32 behind. Many racers sneer at this and say I should be running a 11-28 at the back, max maybe a 11-30. I don't know till I try. All I know is that I'm 50 now, and I weigh 85 kilos, so I'm grateful for all the help I can get!

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 16th June 2021 at 22:13.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 22:25   #5749
BHPian

Quote:

The lowest ratio on my CAAD is 34 in front and 32 behind. Many racers sneer at this and say I should be running a 11-28 at the back,
I also feel the 32t at back is not of much use. I don't remember last when I used 34-32t combo on any climb. 34-28 is good enough. On an 8 speed bike having 32 is wastage one precious cassette cog.

As you rightly said 11-28 is more useful.

For me the smallest cog, 12, itself is heavy so 11 would be much harder. I feel 12-28 is a better spread for those without strong legs.
shipnil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 22:31   #5750
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
I also feel the 32t at back is not of much use. I don't remember last when I used 34-32t combo on any climb. 34-28 is good enough. On an 8 speed bike having 32 is wastage one precious cassette cog.

As you rightly said 11-28 is more useful.

For me the smallest cog, 12, itself is heavy so 11 would be much harder. I feel 12-28 is a better spread for those without strong legs.
Mine is a beautiful SRAM cassette PG 830, where the first 5 cogs are tightly packed, and the last 3 have big jumps.

Very similar to the old style Alpine freewheels (Mega Range).

11-12-14-16-18-21-26-32

Looks weird but works brilliantly.

And yes you're right. I'm mostly always in the 26 (Bopdev, Sinhagad), except Bhor and Lavasa.

So maybe I'll try a 11-30 when I get stronger. 28 will be too aggressive.

The 11 and 12 are mainly descending gears.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 16th June 2021 at 22:42.
Old 16th June 2021, 23:25   #5751
Distinguished - BHPian

Public bicycling self-service outlet in Thane, Mumbai

The Bicycle Service Station is installed at Hiranandani Meadows Circle – Near Kashinath Ghanekar Natya Gruha, Thane West and accessible to all kinds of cyclists. Cyclists can handle quick fixes and repairs independently – like flat tires and tightening of bolts. The facilities include – air pump, multi-toolkit, and a repair stand. The station is added on Google maps and can double-up as a point of confluence for recreational cyclists.

The Bicycles thread-selfservicebicyclerepairstationthane.jpg

Source: Bicycle-service-station-for-quick-fixes
ninjatalli is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th June 2021, 13:57   #5752
BHPian

Gave me a good chuckle

superguy282 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2021, 15:42   #5753
BHPian

Hi Riders,

I am looking to upgrade to a road bike. Have been using Giant Escape hybrid for 4 years now.

I had zeroed in on Trek Domane AL3 after some research and cost-benefit analysis. But it is not available as Doc said. I am ok with any other option, but the biggest hurdle is the frame size. I'm 192 cm tall and most bikes including Trivan 500 mentioned here has L as the largest size.

Any leads on where to look will be helpful.

Cheers and Happy monsoon riding

Vindy
Old 17th June 2021, 17:30   #5754
BHPian

Quote:
A friend got it delivered here in India by Wiggle.com .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I'm using the RC120 for a long time, and its fabulous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Okay, I guess wider tyres with lowered pressure can be fit. Let me see if used deals are available in the market.
I am on the lookout for a Hybrid bicycle , tried one or two.
I recently rented a BTWIN Riverside 500 and found it very easy to ride and pretty light weight too. Just that on the gearing department there is a lag and a jerk when you upshift.

Since all the good bikes are out of stock decided to wait. Thought of getting a mid level hybrid but am confused between the following

Triban RC100 Flatbar (I dont want the drop handles)
Riverside 900 (After riding the Riverside 500 I am assuming this will be smoother and tad better)

if my budget is max 45k please let me know if there are other bikes that I can consider
Note: if I am shelling out around 40k would prefer one whose Derailleurs are above the basic Shimano Tourney.
I know the ones I opted for come with Microshift Derailleurs .

Bikes like Trek / Cube etc.. do look very cool. But I wonder if spares would be available. Hence was sticking to BTWIN.

Last edited by Fillmore : 17th June 2021 at 17:56.
Old 17th June 2021, 18:47   #5755
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
I am on the lookout for a Hybrid bicycle , tried one or two.

if my budget is max 45k please let me know if there are other bikes that I can consider
Note: if I am shelling out around 40k would prefer one whose Derailleurs are above the basic Shimano Tourney.
I know the ones I opted for come with Microshift Derailleurs .

Bikes like Trek / Cube etc.. do look very cool. But I wonder if spares would be available. Hence was sticking to BTWIN.
Please go over the discussion over the past 2-3 days and 5-7 pages. You should find most of your answers.

Cheers, Doc
Old 17th June 2021, 18:58   #5756
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post

Cycles don't work like cars.

99% of your cycle spares that will be needed (wear&tear/faulty) irrespective of the brand would lead to same options available in the market. If I don't get a particular part for my Cannondale, you can't get that spare part for your Btwin either.

Quote:
A friend got it delivered here in India by Wiggle.com .
By DHL. Great quality and reliability and things went smoothly and the shipment did not get held up.
Add approximately 40% on top of the purchase price for shipping and Customs Duty plus CVD plus IGST.
Ballpark.
Hope that helps.
Doc, this is very helpful! I wasn't aware of any site that was offering shipping to India. Now I have one. Time for some shopping

Edit: Did he go for (paid) tracking option? Any idea how long the actual delivery timelines were like? Shows me about 15 - 21 days currently.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 17th June 2021 at 19:10.
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2021, 19:33   #5757
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Doc, this is very helpful! I wasn't aware of any site that was offering shipping to India. Now I have one. Time for some shopping

Edit: Did he go for (paid) tracking option? Any idea how long the actual delivery timelines were like? Shows me about 15 - 21 days currently.
They say 15-21 days but it usually comes in 8-10 days. This was earlier. Nowadays it seems customs takes another 10 days for clearance, where they open and check the parcels.

He did not opt for the paid tracking option because if they send by DHL you can anyways check online for free.

He ordered wheels and tyres. For 72k. Landed up paying another 28k in customs separate. This was 5-6 months ago. Between the 1st and 2nd waves. I don't have more current information than this.

But wiggle are really big and reputed and I'm sure you can call them first beforehand and clarify things before moving ahead. One thing you know is that any screwup is going to be on our shores and not theirs ....

Cheers, Doc
Old 17th June 2021, 19:56   #5758
BHPian

Bought the BTwin Roxkrider ST100 from Decathlon Salt Lake, Kolkata today.

The Bicycles thread-img_20210617_153821.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20210617_153842.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions @doc, @promit & @greyhound82 !

Now I used to ride a 7 year old Hero Ranger (6 Speed) previously, and for me it's a big upgrade. I'm not a cycling enthusiast: I don't know much about cycles as well. It's just that I'm more involved into cycling now that the gyms are closed. Otherwise if the gyms are open, I don't even cover 10 km a week on my cycle. At the present moment, I might cover 8-10 km a day.

Since my running is so less, and that too at very moderate speeds amidst urban traffic, this cycle more than suffices my needs. That's why I didn't go for the ST120, which is definitely better, but more expensive (6000 bucks more) and is way more capable than what my needs demand. I wouldn't be using the entire capability of this cycle itself! ST120 would've been a bit of an overkill.

Coming to the cycle, it definitely speaks for itself. Every time I ride it, it feels like a full body workout. It's just intense, more engaging, and feels very zippy ( and to be honest, I didn't expect it this way ). The seat is extremely hard though, even after installing a memory foam seat cover. It's way more engaging than what I thought, rather wished for! Anyhow, it's great! Really enjoying this purchase.

Only one concern-

The Bicycles thread-screenshot_20210617191741.png

This black metal cage type protection on top of the gear shifter is absent in my cycle. In fact, the staff in the showroom, while preparing my bicycle, unbolted this protection and threw it in the bin! I was surprised, and was about to ask him, but somehow missed it later on.
That metal cage type protection is present in my Hero Ranger as well, and I've seen it protecting the gear shifter during a fall. I believe it's a very important piece.

Now please guide me what to do. Should I go back to the showroom and ask them back?

Regarding the price: the bike costed 18000 bucks, and I bought a memory foam seat cover for 500 bucks. Mud guard and stand weren't in stock, so couldn't buy them.
Remaining items to buy are mud guard, stand, bottle holder & phone holder (maybe).

Thanks for reading!
Big Smoke is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th June 2021, 20:17   #5759
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Smoke View Post
Bought the BTwin Roxkrider ST100 from Decathlon Salt Lake, Kolkata today.

Thanks for reading!
What a lovely color man. That frame looks just so premium in it! Congratulations. Lovely bike. Perfect. The 120 is 1x and with only 9 speeds at the rear, would be a compromised gearing range for sure.

Please lose that memory foam saddle cover and buy decent padded shorts in the money instead. I'm sure Decathlon will do the exchange.

Also the saddle height is way too low. Needs to be adjusted properly.

No way should the guys throw any part of your bike away. Insist on getting it back. In fact, have it fitted. It protects the derailleur and derailleur hanger from getting bent in a fall. The downside though is that sometimes the frame dropouts get bent instead.

Either way, it's an original part. I would raise bloody hell for it. Tell them you will mount it on your wall if it's all the same to them!

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 17th June 2021 at 20:23.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2021, 20:40   #5760
Senior - BHPian

I ordered myself a Triad X4 from Choose my Bicycle before a few days

https://www.choosemybicycle.com/en/bicycles/triad-x4

This is my first cycle after school, wanted a Hybrid with a front suspension and an alloy frame.

With this combination, this met the bill while being easy on the pocket too. Have read ok ok reviews of this online, let's see how it turns out. Since this is my first cycle after almost 2 decades, I did not want to spend a lot before I was sure that I am going to pursue this form of exercise.

I love to listen to music while going for my run too, so would want that in a cycle, where do you guys keep the phone while cycling? I have wired headphones.

Also, which is the recommended helmet to buy for starter?
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks