Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2021, 19:25   #5716
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)
Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Smoke View Post
I'm extremely thankful to you people. You all just made the comparison so much clear!

Just for the record @Doc, yes I did have problems with that dimwit owner of U.P. Cycle Stores, but I would have still bought the cycle from him if it were good.

Now my top choice is BTwin! That positive review about the MicroShift is all I needed. I'll go and check it out.

Again, thanks a ton!
Spend the extra few thousands and buy the ST 100.

Firstly it comes with a very decent Suntour XCT fork. Over a no name (probably Zoom) on the ST 50.

It has trigger shifters over the lower spec grip shifters on the ST 50.

And bigger wheels compared to the 26" ones on the ST 50. Also double walled rims compared to the single walled ones on the ST 50.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 19:41   #5717
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Smoke View Post
Now my top choice is BTwin! That positive review about the MicroShift is all I needed. I'll go and check it out.
Good. Advantages of Btwin are

1. Knowledgeable staff (compared to local stores )

2.availability of accessories and standard fitment ( For fender(SKS) fitting in my cycle(Trek) , I have to spend some time to get it proper )

3. Availability of stores in Pan India for servicing (For a non DIY personal )

go for ST 120 or atleast ST 100
greyhound82 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 10:22   #5718
Senior - BHPian

Wanted a pouch to carry my phone along and this Rockbros downtube bag is just perfect. It couldn't be too wide since it will affect the pedaling, so just the phone and a tiny bike lock fits in well
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-img_5327.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 10:36   #5719
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I wonder what each of these cost. Does anyone have ballpark numbers? I know the fair fax is 35k and bang on my budget. I just couldn’t find any details online.
Little late to the query (lot of water has gone under the bridge post that) but these are just product brands. There's multiple options under each of these names depending on the components you want to pay for.

Below are my experiences of prices observed for the different products basis my own purchases and for others.
- Obviously the price increases as you go up in the components.
- Also the price goes up year on year even though there's no reason to do so

Cannondale Quick. : Quick 1 to Quick 7

Quick 5 2012 : ~18k inr (purchased a year old bike for ~12k)
Quick 7 2019 : ~35k inr purchased last year
Quick 5 2020 : ~46k inr price

Specialized Sirrus. : Sirrus 1 to 6

Sirrus 2 2018: ~40k inr (had found a year old used bike selling for ~28k in 2020)

Trek FX. : FX 1 to FX 3

Trek FX 2 2017 : ~35k (had evaluated this for my father)
Others have quoted current prices
Had taken a FX 2 on rent a few years back in the US. Excellent bike and components.

Merida Speeder. : Speeder 100 to 900

Merida Speeder 100 2018 : ~35k (wife's current ride; purchased a 2 year old bike for 18k)

Scott Subcross / Marin Fairfax.
Not aware of prices

My recommendation for hybrids: Cannondale >> Merida >> Specialized <=> Trek >> Giant >> Montra >> Firefox, Hercules, Frog, etc

Decathlon doesn't fit in this hierarchy as it's more of a jack of all trades kind of a brand with vfm offerings.

Edit: This hybrid from Merida seems to fit in your planned range. No idea how's the bike but the components are decent. A 55cm size should ideally fit someone between 5'8 and 6'0. Unfortunately this is an online only purchase.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 16th June 2021 at 10:43.
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 10:48   #5720
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post

My recommendation for hybrids: Cannondale >> Merida >> Specialized <=> Trek >> Giant >> Montra >> Firefox, Hercules, Frog, etc
Thanks for this. I finally went out yesterday and took a test ride of a Hybrid Merida and a MTB (I don't remember which one). And also a Brompton lol!

I found the MTB so so much more comfortable. I loved it. The Hybrid reminded me of the old gen Duke 390.

I am veering now towards a really light + relaxed geometry MTB + 29er + road slicks (I will buy and fit them) + Front suspension with Lock out + preferably a very smooth reasonably high end shimano group set (hyd brakes etc are nice to have).

I know I need to go out and start looking at brands that fit this criteria. But what is your suggestion?

I saw the Cannondale Quick CX series online, that seem to fit above criteria. Would that be correct? And are there any from other brands that would fit the above criteria?

I know I was all over the place earlier, but I am now kind of locking into what I want as a daily rider. 90% of my riding will be rough urban commutes.

I was looking into folding bikes like the montague, but for that one or two trips a year to the mountains or Goa to put the bike in the car convenience, didn't make sense. SoI guess a good bike + rack later if needed.
Old 16th June 2021, 10:55   #5721
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I saw the Cannondale Quick CX series online, that seem to fit above criteria. Would that be correct? And are there any from other brands that would fit the above criteria?

I know I was all over the place earlier, but I am now kind of locking into what I want as a daily rider. 90% of my riding will be rough urban commutes.

I was looking into folding bikes like the montague, but for that one or two trips a year to the mountains or Goa to put the bike in the car convenience, didn't make sense. SoI guess a good bike + rack later if needed.
Cannondale CX is not a bad choice - it's a pretty popular option. If you are going online, then check out the Merida Hybrid I shared in my previous post (as for a comparison). Between the two, I'd vote for the CX.

Folding bikes are a no-no. Makes sense for someone living in a city like NY or London who can then take the bike on trains and buses. I have colleagues overseas who do that. We are still not there yet (not even Mumbai folks).

Do note these CX kind of bikes will be heavier as compared to their hybrid offerings. Not really a big issue but better to be aware of it.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 11:27   #5722
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am now kind of locking into what I want as a daily rider. 90% of my riding will be rough urban commutes.
I think an MTB will be an overkill for this requirement. If the comfort of a suspension fork is required, something like what Ninja mentioned in the previous post maybe a good fit. A Trek Dual Sport 2 is also a good option I guess – a lockable suspension fork, all-terrain tyres, hydraulic disc brakes, its all there; and not too heavy like an MTB.

Last edited by vb-saan : 16th June 2021 at 11:46.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 11:27   #5723
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I finally went out yesterday and took a test ride of a Hybrid Merida and a MTB (I don't remember which one). And also a Brompton lol!

I found the MTB so so much more comfortable. I loved it. The Hybrid reminded me of the old gen Duke 390.

I am veering now towards a really light + relaxed geometry MTB + 29er + road slicks (I will buy and fit them) + Front suspension with Lock out + preferably a very smooth reasonably high end shimano group set (hyd brakes etc are nice to have).
Please share the details of the shop which offered test rides.

Since you are looking at MTBs also, let me confuse you by suggesting Rockrider ST 540. A little over your budget but I feel the price is justified for what it offers like hydraulic brakes, lockout suspension, good components, etc. Sizes M and L are out of stock though.
Jaguar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 11:45   #5724
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Cannondale CX is not a bad choice - it's a pretty popular option. If you are going online, then check out the Merida Hybrid I shared in my previous post (as for a comparison). Between the two, I'd vote for the CX.

Folding bikes are a no-no. Makes sense for someone living in a city like NY or London who can then take the bike on trains and buses. I have colleagues overseas who do that. We are still not there yet (not even Mumbai folks).

Do note these CX kind of bikes will be heavier as compared to their hybrid offerings. Not really a big issue but better to be aware of it.
Would you know who retails Cannondale CX series in India? Couldn't find anything online! Any Bangalore shops? I will do the rounds soon. Plus, are the CX series available on the used market based on what you've been seeing so far?

Wow, used bikes seem the ticket!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I think an MTB will be an overkill for this requirement. If the comfort of a suspension fork is required, something like what Ninja mentioned in the previous post maybe a good fit. A Trek Dual Sport 2 is also a good option I guess – a lockable suspension fork, all-terrain tyres, hydraulic disc brakes, its all there; and not too heavy like an MTB.
This is very similar to the CX series! Superb, theses definitely on shortlist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Please share the details of the shop which offered test rides.

Since you are looking at MTBs also, let me confuse you by suggesting Rockrider ST 540. A little over your budget but I feel the price is justified for what it offers like hydraulic brakes, lockout suspension, good components, etc. Sizes M and L are out of stock though.
Procycle Indiranagar. Great guys, they just took me out for a spin and the owner spent quality time with me too.

The only reason I started looking at MTB was because I could fit 29er's and have a nicer upright position with the relaxed geometry. If there are lighter bikes like the Trek available which offer me all this, there is no need for an MTB for me I guess. Damn, the trek is just a few thousands more than the Twin option too.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 11:59   #5725
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Quoting you separately again, specific to this bike.

I looked up both the Trek DS 3 and DS 2.

The DS 3 offers me the following over the 2.

tubeless-ready rims and puncture-resistant tyres
Shimano Acera M3000, 9-speed
Shimano Acera M3000, 2 -speed
Shimano Acera T3000, 34.9 mm clamp, top swing, dual pull
Shimano Alivio M3100, long cage
Shimano MT200 hydraulic disc

DS2
Shimano Altus M315, 8-speed
Shimano Altus M315, 3-speed
Shimano Tourney TY710, 34.9 mm clamp, top-swing, dual pull
Tektro HD-M275 hydraulic disc

Both have the same 60mm hydraulic suspension lockout system.

Is this all worth the 10k over the DS2? I would like tubeless tyres, are they good on bicycles?

I am also beginning to agree with the general thought process of spending about 20% more than the intended budget to get something great from the get go. Just bite that bullet...

Last edited by Red Liner : 16th June 2021 at 12:07.
Old 16th June 2021, 12:18   #5726
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Would you know who retails Cannondale CX series in India? Couldn't find anything online! Any Bangalore shops? I will do the rounds soon. Plus, are the CX series available on the used market based on what you've been seeing so far?
Know anyone in Kerala?
CX 4 used bike for sale

Sorry - no idea. Choosemybicycle and trackntrail websites have more or less no stock. The local shops are your best bet. If there's stock in the country, they can source it. Most of these shops are well connected within their network so they can procure the bike from other stores if there's availability and ready buyers.

Edit: Bumsonthesaddle are showing Fuji and Giant hybrids and MTBs in stock - maybe that's a store you could give a shot. Fuji bikes used to be VFM from a price point and I know a few owners who have been happy with the bikes. Giant offerings are decent too.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 16th June 2021 at 12:25.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 12:29   #5727
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quoting you separately again, specific to this bike.
Is this all worth the 10k over the DS2? I would like tubeless tyres, are they good on bicycles?
When I was looking at the FX2, we also checked out the FX3. At that time (for my requirements) I felt the FX3 will be an overkill especially considering the price difference here (SGD 300, around INR 15K). The key differences were as you mentioned – 3x8 shifters v/s 2x9, Tektro v/s Shimano hydraulic disc brakes, and FX alloy v/s carbon fork. Did not sounded like a huge difference to me and the friendly sales guy also said a FX2 will be more than sufficient for my requirements; good soul did not try to push down the more expensive FX3 even though it was in stock.

Later I got to know that the carbon v/s alloy fork makes a difference in ride quality (from a few reviews and also Doc mentioned that in one of his posts). But nevertheless, we got two FX2s home.

Now on the Dual Sport 2 v/s 3, both have SR Suntour NEX suspension fork with lockout, so personally I feel you will be good with the Dual Sport 2; the more informed members can add in here. And the rims on Dual Sport 3 are tubeless ready, the stock tyres are not tubeless I believe.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 12:52   #5728
Senior - BHPian

You won't get brand new Cannondale bikes anymore unless some local.store has some old stock left. TI Cycles broke off their marketing tie-up quite some time ago. We were hearing news about Cannondale coming on its own to India like Trek and Giant, but then the pandemic struck and everything is up in the air now.

I'm not a fan of disc brakes on a cycle. Period. For a number of reasons. Primary being the feel and control which is just not there. Weight is another factor. Fiddly removal and refitting of wheels another especially with the thru axles. Lack of adjustability on the road is another, where if the brakes are binding you are essentially stuck. Short of disengaging the entire assembly.

Note how over the past few years as the industry began moving to disc brakes on the road bikes, in the pro tour races, wheel changes have become nearly non- existent, with teams preferring to change the entire bike instead. Simply to save time and the risk of a mal-aligned disc.

Anyways the only real advantage of disc brakes is on long very technical descents, like Alpine passes in the wet. Where traditional brakes test your arm muscles and brake fade becomes real.

99.9% riding in India does not remotely qualify. It's just unnecessary cost and weight and complications and things that can go wrong.

I have very similar views on front suspension forks as well.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 16th June 2021 at 12:59.
ebonho is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 13:24   #5729
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
You won't get brand new Cannondale bikes anymore unless some local.store has some old stock left. TI Cycles broke off their marketing tie-up quite some time ago. We were hearing news about Cannondale coming on its own to India like Trek and Giant, but then the pandemic struck and everything is up in the air now.
@Doc,
Any visibility on cycle tires (global brands). I want to source Schwalbe tires (preferably Durano or Marathon) that are puncture proof. There's absolutely no availability online that I could find. Any pointers on this?
Old 16th June 2021, 13:34   #5730
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Doc,
Any visibility on cycle tires (global brands). I want to source Schwalbe tires (preferably Durano or Marathon) that are puncture proof. There's absolutely no availability online that I could find. Any pointers on this?
People are charging ridiculous amounts for imports man. GP5000s are selling for 9-11k a pair. Some local shops have some heavy duty training tyres. Just to keep the bikes on the road. I don't see the situation improving unless travel begins again and people find ways to get these tyres into the country. Official import channels have been all but closed by the government. Which is why I said that when you buy a new bike, it's tyres are worth their weight in gold currently.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks