Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2021, 13:46   #5656
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
#4 rules out a road bike. So, it is a choice between an MTB and a hybrid bike. Of these as you are planning to ride only on paved roads, I would suggest get a good hybrid bike.

If you plan to ride in the hills, you will need a properly geared bike with good lower gear ratio. Doc is the expert on this topic and should be able to give you what gear ratios to look for.

I am not up to date on the latest models so, not able to give you advice on specific model. I am sure you will get the right recommendations from other experts.

Apart from the budget for the bike, please have some budget for the following accessories.

1. A good pair of padded shorts,
2. A helmet
3. Bottle holder
4. If you plan to ride in the dark, a good head light and a tail light
5. A hand pump, tire levers, a multi tool and puncture patching kit

Good luck with the hunt for the bicycle.
Thanks graaja. I guess a bike with a good front and rear suspension is what I need as well. Kind of an adventure bicycle lol. And about the accessories, yes for sure once the bike is in the garage.
Old 13th June 2021, 18:34   #5657
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post

1. Urban commute to replace by motorcycle and car
2. Weekend country roads and if I want to meet a friend across town, bicycle it is.
3. I don't intend to do long distance cycling at the moment, highways on a cycle do not fascinate me. I will however throw the bike in my car and head up to the hills to enjoy the place.
4. Upright bicycle is a MUST. I do not want to bend over and ride.
5. Comfort Comfort Comfort!

I am 5.10 so I guess large frame it is. I have a budget of about 40k for the bicycle. Hybrid bike, Alloy frame etc yes.
Quoting myself.

https://www.marinbikes.com/in/bikes/2021-fairfax-1

Is this available in India and who supplies these bikes? And what does the community here feel about this particular model? Is there something better in that price range I should see?

Found them: https://www.cyclop.in/collections/marin-bikes-india

but this particular model isn't listed and even of it is, i think it might be more than 35k?

Last edited by Red Liner : 13th June 2021 at 18:40.
Old 13th June 2021, 18:47   #5658
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
2. Weekend country roads and if I want to meet a friend across town, bicycle it is.
3. I don't intend to do long distance cycling at the moment, highways on a cycle do not fascinate me. I will however throw the bike in my car and head up to the hills to enjoy the place.
For the requirements you mentioned, this may be a good one - Trek Verve 2
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 18:51   #5659
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I guess a bike with a good front and rear suspension is what I need as well. Kind of an adventure bicycle lol.
On the contrary. Stay away from bikes with suspensions. They are meant for off roading. On paved roads, they only end up wasting lot of power and efficiency. Even if you want to go with a bike with suspension, go for one with lockable front suspensions and absolutely no rear suspensions. When riding on good roads, lock out the front suspensions and unlock it only on very rough roads with lots of potholes etc.
graaja is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 19:00   #5660
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
For the requirements you mentioned, this may be a good one - Trek Verve 2
Wow, but 46k seems a tad over what I was looking at. I am trying to stick to within 35k for a good import which will keep me happy and help me replace my motorcycle and car in the city for the foreseeable future.

Quote:
On the contrary. Stay away from bikes with suspensions. They are meant for off roading. On paved roads, they only end up wasting lot of power and efficiency. Even if you want to go with a bike with suspension, go for one with lockable front suspensions and absolutely no rear suspensions. When riding on good roads, lock out the front suspensions and unlock it only on very rough roads with lots of potholes etc.
I have been reading the same thing. I saw this was a good entry model which seems to have good quality https://www.marinbikes.com/bikes/2021-fairfax-1

and none of the suspension lol. I am good at standing on my motorcycle and riding and will adopt the same posture on the bike as well.

This Kent Hybrid from Marin looks just so so so good! Retro awesomeness. Love it. But for around the same price or maybe just 50$ more the Fairfax seems tremendously better value.

What do you guys think? I have contacted Cyclops as well through their website. Ooooh, am getting excited about this new hobby journey.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 19:59   #5661
Team-BHP Support

Some updates in the bike line-up.

As mentioned in my earlier post, I had bought a Giant Talon 4 for my daughter and a Scott Sub Cross 50 for myself. Later wifey also joined the tribe with a Giant Liv Tempt 3. After a few weeks of usage it was clear that the massive Talon was not the ideal choice for my daughter (D). The wide handlebar and the massive tyres was quite cumbersome for her to handle, and I listed the bike for sale via a local online portal. The deal was done quite quickly and later during our evening ride we dropped by the Trek showroom to check out the Verve 2 Low Step. It looked like exactly the one which my girl will be comfortable with - upright riding position, highly comfort-oriented, but unfortunately that was not in stock. So while discussing about the availability, my wife (W) checked a few bikes there – FX2, FX3, Dual Sport 2 etc., and suddenly the plans all changed. She realized how heavy and slow her Liv was on pavements and park connectors (it was completely at home on a 2km gravel stretch we have in the nearby park connector). D’s bike plans suddenly took a back seat, and we were discussing on a choice between Trek FX and Dual Sport. The sales guy took the details, entered in his excel sheet to inform me immediately on stock arrival – FX2/3 for W and Verve 2 for D.

While walking out, I asked the guy to help with slightly adjusting the seat height of my Scott. He asked me to sit on first and seeing that he can adjust. And when I was on my bike he was like “How are you riding this, at least one size smaller for you. The knee is almost meddling with the handlebar. This won’t be comfortable for you for long rides”. I did feel before that I chose a wrong size, but overall I found the bike quite nice to ride. He got out a FX2 in L and XL sizes, and Dual Sport in L. On trying the FX I could immediately feel the difference – much more comfortable riding position, though a bit more unforgiving than my Scott ( could be the tyres - 700x35c vs 700x45c). Story short – I paid for a FX2 in Matte Black shade XL size bike was available in stock and decided to pick it up next day afternoon (as we had to ride back in our respective bikes). I did not like the Dual Sport much, though the ride was more cushioning, maybe due to the 45c tyres, I am not a fan of suspension fork on hybrid bikes.

Next day before going to the showroom I called to confirm the schedule for pickup, and they said they have just assembled a Fx3 size S in black. Wifey was happy to hear that but I was thinking if it was worth to spend SGD 300 premium (FX2 vs FX3) for a beginner. I did not consider FX3 also for that reason. The minor differences in specs could be something big for seasoned riders but I felt the 2 will be more than enough for our requirements (at least now). Anyway, W also accompanied me that evening to the showroom. She checked the FX3 again, and also another FX2 Staggered (low step and slightly wider saddle). She somehow did not like staggered, and then I saw a bike in size M standing next to that. Asked to test ride that and she liked it more than the S frame. And the paint shade was also something unusual (they call it Gravel colour).

So in a matter of two days, the two Giant bikes were gone, and two new Trek FX2s came home. And the 3rd one – Verve 2 for D is pending stock availability. The FX2 is quite nice to ride and extremely fast, but every bit of the surface can be felt, especially when compared the the Scott Sub.

On a side note: I noticed here (in Singapore ) that Giant and Trek models are like Samsung and Apple (respectively) in the used market, with excellent resale value. I closed the deal on the Talon 4 in two hours after posting for sale, and the Tempt 3 also went off in the same day (resale price was almost same as the purchase price). My Scott Sub is on the portal from yesterday, and that’s like a Google Pixel – excellent product, but not so popular in the resale market. Couple of offers that came was like 25-30% less than the purchase price. If I don’t get a good price, I may just keep it as a second bike.

The two FX2 bikes in Gravel and Matte Dnister Black shades:

The Bicycles thread-img_0598.jpg
The Bicycles thread-img_0599.jpg

Last edited by vb-saan : 13th June 2021 at 20:03.
vb-saan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 20:06   #5662
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Am new to bicycles but here it is.

I have bad knees due to many weeks of hiking and trekking with loads on my back and the wrong shoes. So I can't run. I want to take up cycling.

I am 5.10 so I guess large frame it is. I have a budget of about 40k for the bicycle. Hybrid bike, Alloy frame etc yes.

Now what brand and which model do I look at? There are so many out there my mind is going numb. I plan to head to a big shop to get a touch and feel of these things too.
Quote:
Thanks graaja. I guess a bike with a good front and rear suspension is what I need as well. Kind of an adventure bicycle lol.
Quote:
On the contrary. Stay away from bikes with suspensions. They are meant for off roading. On paved roads, they only end up wasting lot of power and efficiency.
Quote:
Of these as you are planning to ride only on paved roads, I would suggest get a good hybrid bike.

I am not up to date on the latest models so, not able to give you advice on specific model. I am sure you will get the right recommendations from other experts.
Hey Red Liner. Graaja has literally covered almost everything I might have had to contribute since even I’m not specifically familiar with the models in this segment. But I am summarising my observations from the various statements I’ve read on your end use.

Type: Stick to hybrid. I don’t believe you need an MTB and you’ll just end up spending more energy like Graaja mentioned.

Size: Do not assume what your size is based on your height. Each brand and sometimes each model sports a different approach to its sizing. This is a critical aspect of buying a bike - that it should fit well. I would go so far as to say that bike fit is more critical to bike brand per se.

Brand / model: Trek, Cannondale, Scott, Giant, Merida are some common high quality brands which have hybrid offerings. Please check this out to see which one fits you best. That’s your first level shortlist. Within that whichever gets you the best components within your budget should seal the cross list.

Accessories: Graaja has covered this well. Please ensure you have a high viz vest, lights (front and back), a lock if needed, padded shorts, helmet, cycling goggles if appropriate, cycling gloves.
Axe77 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 10:56   #5663
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Hey Red Liner.
Thanks for this bud. I have pretty much frozen on the make and model of the bike, and I think should work for me as an entry level recreation hybrid . Just waiting on stock - this pandemic is killing!

All the accessories come only AFTER the bike gets home lol!
Old 14th June 2021, 12:20   #5664
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Brand / model: Trek, Cannondale, Scott, Giant, Merida are some common high quality brands which have hybrid offerings. Please check this out to see which one fits you best. That’s your first level shortlist. Within that whichever gets you the best components within your budget should seal the cross list.

Will reply here but it applies to a lot of other "which one" type inquiries, as well:

I am not setting myself up as an expert or even a "professional" (though I do make money at it); That said, I do currently own around 20 cycles of probably ten brands, Giant and Merida among them, and have worked a fair amount on Trek/ Scott and many others. College roomie owned a Cannondale way back, and with the Starkenn / B-Twin / Firefox / Hercules / etc also in the personal stable, I guess we're generally pretty well covered brand-wise.

And I'd say any perceptions of brand-heirarchy are pretty meaningless in the price range inquired of. Probably just about anywhere really.

Let's be honest and acknowledge that outside of higher-end and proven / tested competition frames and components, there is a tremendous amount of hot air and hype keeping the cycling world in motion (and in business). It's like the salesman trying to convince a prospective customer that the 20MP camera has a clear advantage over the 18MP, or that the (Leica-equipped) Panasonic version is clearly inferior to the (Panasonic-built and hardware-identical) Leica-branded unit. Most consumers fall for it, either because they don't know any better, or because they're blinded by status aspirations. Most claims out there are untested and merely "perceived" (sometimes with a bit of bias) by certain parties, and meaningfully nuanced technical info - if it exists at all for low/mid-range and consumer-grade equipment - is mainly reserved for engineers' files. "It costs more, so it must be better" works only sometimes.

Sorry if I'm bursting anyone's bubble.

But I'd say that in this range the saddle and handlebar height and frame size are obviously important and rider-specific, and beyond that, you'll may as well just buy the color/ graphics / frame aesthetic / tyres you prefer personally. MTB's add a "fork factor" which is worth looking into, but in hybrids / roadies, I'm doubtful there's much in terms of real quality difference between most recognized (and some unrecognized) brands. Frames for most of them are produced in a very few (Chinese / Taiwanese) factories, components of similar quality levels are sourced from a pretty standard & limited set of companies, and average riders will rarely if ever notice the difference between most of them in actual use. Giant rims bend/break as well as any, and as for frames, the only ones I've seen crack are ones where a knobbie on a maladjusted rim rubbed through it (seen that thrice now). Oh, and once on a Hero which was being jumped five feet in the air onto concrete by a six-footer.

Sooo... if you don't DIY, definitely buy from people who actually know how to service them. Most problems across brands come from inferior assembly, adjustment, tuning, maintenance. In my experience there's not much between a well-spec'd Firefox or Raleigh (which seem to be suffering from a desi image crisis lately) and a (slightly overpriced / slightly "better") "import" Giant / Merida. Not saying the latter aren't great bikes, it's just that perceptions and pricing often far outdistance actual differences in performance / quality.

Even at the component level: It occurred to me recently that if one were to mask all the logos on a set of derailleurs on a pair of similar-range bikes and give an experienced rider the opportunity to ride the Altus vs. Acera-equipped bikes and try to discern which was which, he might guess it right 50-60% of the time. Both are a clear step up from the Tourney, but in this range there is little point splitting hairs over a single step in component "upgrade", or especially worrying about mixed groups.

On that note would say the most bang-for-buck and personally workable setups are often going to be found in less "prestigious" brands with mixed group components.

To put my money where my mouth is - latest purchase here:
The Bicycles thread-whatsapp-image-20210614-10.54.34-am-2.jpeg

Raleigh Conan 29er: hydraulic brakes, hydraulic lockout Suntour XCT fork, Tubeless Bontrager rear rim, Maxxis rubber, etc - I think around 14.5kg which I believe is about a kg heavier than a customer's 1.2L Trek carbon-fiber 29er I rode recently.

I admit I liked his shiny chrome 1x12 gears with its huge rear cogs... sexy...

But for a 1.06L discount, I'm sure I can manage without that for now...

A lot of us are trying to simply get exercise and/or see some nice places. In the first case, a little extra bike weight would actually do us some good. That 30g difference the "better" component enjoys is utterly meaningless in most of our worlds. On flatter ground, tyres probably make a bigger difference than anything. These are not 1/4-mile drag machines, and most claims of faster spin-up, etc, are going to be unmeasured.

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 14th June 2021 at 12:27.
ringoism is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 12:49   #5665
Team-BHP Support

Requesting for some expert opinions.

Is it ok for the Trek FX 2 to do gravel trail (they say fine gravel, but it’s a bit bone-jarring – picture below), or will it completely destroy the tyres? It’s on our regular bike path with around 1.5 kms long one-way.

The Bicycles thread-05railcorridorcentral.jpg

The tyres are Bontrager H2 Comp, 700x35c 30tpi
The Bicycles thread-img_0603.jpg
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 12:52   #5666
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Doc,

A nice lightweight mid level hybrid with a top end frame but mid level groupset should be perfect in your budget.

I'm partial to speed over comfort so like rigid forks but you could look at a decent urban low travel fork with lockout if trails are your thing.

For your height you need a medium, not large. Or a 52 or 54 cm frame. I'm partial to Trek and Cannondale hybrids for their frames and build and ride quality.

For bad knees, it's important to get your frame size and saddle position perfect.

Have fun! Incidentally, I too became a full time cyclist after returning from my North Sikkim ride. A hard tour teaches you how much you need to work on your own chassis as it ages.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 13:09   #5667
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
A nice lightweight mid level hybrid with a top end frame but mid level groupset should be perfect in your budget.
Doc, you are right. This is a post North Sikkim depression after i got really surprised with my lack of physical fitness when there. Terrible.

Secondly for an absolute noob in the world of bikes, i would deeply appreciate if you could list a few options with what you posited above.

Many thanks again
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 13:52   #5668
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Doc, you are right. This is a post North Sikkim depression after i got really surprised with my lack of physical fitness when there. Terrible.

Secondly for an absolute noob in the world of bikes, i would deeply appreciate if you could list a few options with what you posited above.

Many thanks again
Just a (pretty shocking) pictorial ....

This was me during the north Sikkim ride in 2016 (in Vizag on the way back, with a batchmate from college)

The Bicycles thread-img_20161022_085649.jpg

And this is me now in 2021, 5 years later ....

The Bicycles thread-img20210126wa0025.jpg

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 13:57   #5669
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Just a (pretty shocking) pictorial ....

This was me during the north Sikkim ride in 2016 (in Vizag on the way back, with a batchmate from college)

Attachment 2167298

And this is me now in 2021, 5 years later ....

Attachment 2167303

Cheers, Doc
You dont look a day over 25.

I hope to replace the Motorcycle and car in city when the weather is fine.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 14:08   #5670
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You dont look a day over 25.

I hope to replace the Motorcycle and car in city when the weather is fine.
Cannondale Quick.

Specialized Sirrus.

Trek FX.

Merida Speeder.

Scott Subcross / Marin Fairfax.

In that order.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks