Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2021, 10:36   #5611
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

This is what I had bought as headlight for my bicycle from Flipkart as Amazon was not delivering at my place. They lights would even give Activa Headlights a run for their money. Couple of Cyclists have asked me where have I sourced them from as they are just too bright.

https://www.amazon.in/ShivExim-Water...ustomerReviews
sunbaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 11:03   #5612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
This is a rear light. And that Cube is the rear light I bought. I'm looking at buying a sleek front unit. Something like this
You can also look at Bontrager accessories available in plenty here in Chandigarh the downside is that they are damn costly. Please let me know if you want to enquire price of any article. Cheers!

Link: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...lights/c/E312/

PS: I am not associated with trek bikes in anyway just helping a fellow bhpian out
drive_angry is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 11:10   #5613
Senior - BHPian

This is a very good light. I've borrowed a friend's light and used it quite a bit. The strap and base connection was a bit dicey through.

The Bicycles thread-screenshot_20210518110725.png

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07BNFJJD9/...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 12:23   #5614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddyguage View Post
Later I went to my friend’s store and got this 2021 Polygon Strattos S3 with complete Sora groupset.
I didn't know about Polygons at all, it is after Doc's recommendation, I started looking at Polygons with some interested and realised they make very good quality bikes and with very good geometry.

Yes that's a very beautiful bike and that white paint add a sense of premium ness to the bike. Had seen it personally was heart broken that it was only available in medium at the shop. The paint job and quality was awesome. I had also test rode this beauty - Strattos S4 - Complete Tiagra groupset. It was an effortless drive but it was in L size and I needed XL size. Just curious what is the frame that you have picked as per your height?

Many congrats on your new bike. Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-img_7038.jpg  

The Bicycles thread-img_7039.jpg  

The Bicycles thread-img_7040.jpg  

drive_angry is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 12:56   #5615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
I didn't know about Polygons at all, it is after Doc's recommendation, I started looking at Polygons with some interested and realised they make very good quality bikes and with very good geometry.

Yes that's a very beautiful bike and that white paint add a sense of premium ness to the bike. Had seen it personally was heart broken that it was only available in medium at the shop. The paint job and quality was awesome. I had also test rode this beauty - Strattos S4 - Complete Tiagra groupset. It was an effortless drive but it was in L size and I needed XL size. Just curious what is the frame that you have picked as per your height?

Please compare the dimensions of the Polygon L to the Merida Scultura L.

You might be surprised..

All depends on how long you are willing to wait for a bike. And the bang for buck proposition between the Polygon Tiagra versus the still distant Merida 105.

The Polygon is slightly racier than the Scultura, which is a bit more on the endurance side.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 13:09   #5616
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post

Hey even I didn’t know much about them but the build quality is superior. Frame build is top notch. If you look closely the welds are not visible (i don’t know what it’s called) in my opinion this looks more premium.

I picked up M size which is 52 as my height is 5’8”. It’s very comfortable and looks very beautiful.

The Bicycles thread-8c54924e19b74a298237ecc598ef0130.jpeg

Above is complete specs. I think in this price range you barely get Sora full system.

Now that I got the roadie please suggest some good accessories like helmets, front lights, rear lights, mobile holder, jersey, shorts etc.
maddyguage is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2021, 19:10   #5617
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbaj View Post
You first need to decide what you would like to go for - Hybrid or a MTB ?
I too am 5 feet 7 inches and weigh 73. Just recently the Bicycle Bug bit me and bought a Hybrid last month. Have driven close to 500 KM in 3 weeks. Wanted a Montra hybrid but none were available in Chandigarh so went for Raleigh Strada Elite hybrid. Costed me 27 K with stand and bottle holder included. Bought a Head light (700), tail light(200) and mobile stand(150) separately.

If you are down south you should be easily be able to source Montra and would cost you within 15 k if you don't go for alloy frame.
It researched on it online, I think I will go for a Hybrid. I stay in Mumbai
Old 22nd May 2021, 10:46   #5618
BHPian

Went for my first long drive on my Hybrid today morning. May call it the endurance drive also. It was a 60 KM stretch which I happen to complete in around 3 hours with an average speed of around 20 km/hour

The destination was Mirzapur Check dam from Sector 44 Chandigarh. While to the destination I did not take any breaks however on my return journey took couple of drink breaks and couple of times I had to halt because of phone calls. Overall the journey was good as the drive was mostly within villages with good roads. Spent around 10 minutes on the dam and then started the return journey. This was a solo ride.

Picture clicked at the dam.
The Bicycles thread-20210522_073303.jpg

Track recorded on Mi app as had forgotten to enable Strava.
The Bicycles thread-sportdetails_long.jpg

The ride:
The Bicycles thread-20210416_153620.jpg
sunbaj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2021, 15:34   #5619
BHPian

Dear all - I had my first breakdown on my bicycle. Any pointers on what to do would be helpful for me. Bicycle is only 5 weeks old.

1. Do I wait for Lockdown to claim warranty
2. Do I pay money and get it fixed at some cycle store other than the place where I bought it
3. Are there any upgrade available so that I can use t his situation to upgrade the pedals. I weight 120 kilos.

I am in Chennai and Currently there is lockdown till end of Month I believe. I am told there are few bicycle shops on the road side which are open to fix issues until 10 AM.

Disclaimer - I do not advocate violating any lockdown rules. My questions are for eventualities on the right side of the law and safety.
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-img_0883.jpeg  

The Bicycles thread-img_0886.jpeg  

Last edited by TorqMaster : 22nd May 2021 at 15:41. Reason: Added Disclaimer
Old 23rd May 2021, 06:57   #5620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqMaster View Post
Dear all - I had my first breakdown on my bicycle. Any pointers on what to do would be helpful for me. Bicycle is only 5 weeks old.

2. Do I pay money and get it fixed at some cycle store other than the place where I bought it
3. Are there any upgrade available so that I can use t his situation to upgrade the pedals. I weight 120 kilos.

I am in Chennai and Currently there is lockdown till end of Month I believe. I am told there are few bicycle shops on the road side which are open to fix issues until 10 AM.

Disclaimer - I do not advocate violating any lockdown rules. My questions are for eventualities on the right side of the law and safety.
I would suggest that you wait till the lockdown is over and get the cycle repaired from the store from where you bought it. Firstly since you are under warranty and secondly the work would most likely be done with professional tools and also if you face any issues in future you won't end up in a situation with them.
As for the upgrade you can ask the shop for better quality crank set/shaft (as I believe that is what is broken experts can correct) which the shop surely would have.

Work from a roadside vendor would mostly be a jugad and you might end up in some persistent issue as the roadside vendors are ok for some minor repairs like puncture etc and also since your bicycle is new.
sunbaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2021, 10:09   #5621
BHPian

Quote:

Curious to know which brand and model is this bike. This is absolutely a quality issue for a 5 weeks old bike.
Dharmen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2021, 11:11   #5622
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Even in warranty, they will replace the part with a new one of the same.

Most (all) Indian cycles are not rated for 120 kg payload.

Some imported brands are.

You need to check the specs and literature online.

There too not all models will be rated for the same weight.

Usually the steel frames will be tougher and able to take more weight.

Check Trek and Marin. Orbea too.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2021, 11:51   #5623
BHPian

Thank you Sunbaj, Dharmen and Ebonho. I will check the websites you have suggested.

The brand is Hercules and I have included a picture of my bicycle. It costed around Rs8500.

So far I have had the seat changed free of cost from the dealer and had the brakes rubber changed to a more durable material (I was told).The rear tube and Tyre exploded due to over filling of air at a scooter shop. Dealer changed the tube And replaced the tire with a slightly thinner one since it was more common model than the tire which the bicycle came with.

I like the bike and it is comfortable for me.
I wish to upgrade the handlebar to a more raised position and also make the seat height more taller than what it is.
Not sure where to go looking. Checked Decathlon for the seat stalk did not find anything . Perhaps am using the wrong terms to search.

One question I have is, how could I know if the upgraded parts which am looking for would be compatible with my bicycle. For example the seat stalk. Do I measure the circumference of the current stalk and look for something similar or are there technical terms for these which I need to know ( for example Derailleur which I thought was just called gears).
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-b55b506841f04ea79f0307e4135769d6.jpeg  

Old 28th May 2021, 19:24   #5624
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharma_sanjeevi View Post
BSA - SLR was a Cycle which was cherished by many in the time-frame of 1980-2000.

This was a dream cycle of every child and teenager. And, was a rage when it was launched that time.
Nostalgia!

I got the BSA SLR in 1987 (belonged to my cousin but was with me for a few years) and I was thrilled when I first saw it. I was 11 and didn't know any technical details and it didn't matter. I just rode it everyday. The ornament on the front mud guard as you said (even today, I don't know what it's called ) was chrome and with a rounded head and was one of the many beautiful things about the cycle. I loved the way the cycled looked and used to drag my feet every monsoon when everyone else used to apply the horrible looking yellow anti-rust coat on all non painted parts of their cycles and I had to do the same too.

Three of us used to ride to the New Zealand hostel building in Aarey Colony and then race on the slopes. Crazy fun! Fixed ratio (I didn't even know back then that there was something called as "geared cycle"), avg brakes (which would do nothing to slow the cycle down on the Aarey slopes) but nothing mattered.

Thanks for bringing back those lovely memories!
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 23:55   #5625
Senior - BHPian

Picked up a very good pump for Rs3100. The Topeak Joe Blow Race. It has a single hole for both presta and shrader. Very convenient
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-topeak_joe_blow_race_floor_pump_1529458601_f222b529.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks