Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2021, 19:09   #5641
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Its actually a very high quality pump for the price
Agree with you doc. Also, it is fully serviceable too, for adding oil to the barrel for lubrication. But the main issue is the absence of a latching mechanism or a flex hose. This becomes a problem when you are trying to hit high pressures as you simultaneously hold down the head with one had like you said and push the barrel with the other. Probably why it was discontinued.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Slightly unrelated query - it may have been asked before but I haven’t checked back pages - are the cops in Bangalore stopping cyclists who do long trips solo during lockdown? I am thinking this is a good opportunity to enjoy fitness activities on long empty roads but unsure if I am going to be penalised if I venture out on the roads…
I see people riding on my Strava feed between 6 and 10 but I personally am still waiting to get vaccinated and the lockdown to be officially over in BLR before venturing out.
itisravi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2021, 20:38   #5642
BHPian

Guys, I've been following this thread for a few months and have been finally bitten by the bug! Have gone ahead and bought the revox 2 by Bergamont. Thoroughly enjoying the rush!

Had a question, is it fine to dismantle the wheels quite often using the quick release lever, say once a week, so that I can transport the bike by car to the next city which has amazing tar roads? Does this impact longevity of the parts in any way?

Thanks
Old 3rd June 2021, 21:49   #5643
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisravi View Post
Agree with you doc. Also, it is fully serviceable too, for adding oil to the barrel for lubrication. But the main issue is the absence of a latching mechanism or a flex hose. This becomes a problem when you are trying to hit high pressures as you simultaneously hold down the head with one had like you said and push the barrel with the other. Probably why it was discontinued.
Agree completely. Just that the holding of the pump head is more to stabilize the long slender Presta valve than anything else.

The head actually has an auto lock once you press it down on the Presta. You can start pumping without holding it down and it will not pop out.

But once you start pumping past 60 psi, then you really have to exert force and that's where you need to be careful you don't rip the valve put.

In the final analysis, all these mini pumps are stop gaps to get you home. Like you I too don't like putting anything on my bike. Everything goes into the back of my jersey. So smaller and lighter and simpler is better, even if it's a compromise with no redundancies built in.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 02:54   #5644
Senior - BHPian

After lot of confusion and struggle, ordered Triban RC 100 flatbar this will be my first proper return to cycling after nearly 12 years. Hope Decathlon can honor my purchase, as there is still lockdown in my city.

As of now I just have plans to ride few kilometres during weekends, went for the Triban to make sure I don't outgrow my ride way too soon.
giri1.8 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 01:52   #5645
BHPian

James May does a comparison of an expensive bicycle with the cheapest new car in UK (and in most of Europe too, I think). It is quirky and also a very interesting comparison. Enjoy.

carthick1000 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 21:19   #5646
Senior - BHPian

Anyone out there with an opinion on a Raleigh Conan 29er as a second-hand option?

Bearing in mind that I'm a mechanic and thus no servicing issues.

Customer wants to sell at ₹15k, it's got a bit of paint wear/nicks but not too bad... Hydraulic discs, 3x8 (Acera) gears, I think these are around 14.5kg and have a a pretty basic Suntour XCT fork (which also has a little wear). Rear wheel is upgraded to Bontrager tubeless, original-spec rear tyre a bit thin and the crank arms were unfortunately replaced with those low-end plasticized steel ones... cheap replacement saddle, too.

Pluses for me are the large frame size (I'm 6'2"), big rollers, nice broad handle, and the hydraulics I suppose.

Minuses would be uncertainty re: resale value, first because better stuff is going to 2x9 or 1x10-12 now, making 3x anything seem a bit antiquated - also that the frame uses pretty conventional (dated) profiles, and lastly that Raleigh is now a Suncross company and everyone seems to be after Giant / Trek / Scott / other stuff perceived as being more "premium". Firefox too, seems to have lost some of its sheen after the Hero acquisition (and general conomic upswing).

For me personally I couldn't care less about branding, but in terms of renting and eventual resale???

I've got a better quality saddle and cranks in the "freebie" parts bin btw...

This one seems to be a nice rider. I don't do trails, just horrible roads.

Any thoughts? By tonight preferably ???

What good deals are out there for similarly spec'd new 29'ers from generally recognized brands? Current Raleigh equivalent seems to be the Roxio 1.0 at a shade under 34k...

Conan seems to be from 2106, so this is a five-year-old.

Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 8th June 2021 at 21:37.
Old 8th June 2021, 22:42   #5647
BHPian

Guys, I need some advice on maintenance. I recently started cycling, back in March 2021.
I bought a rather entry level Hero Sprint.

The only thing is that my front breaks just won't stop squealing after trying tonnes of hacks and replacements. My front derailleur is bent because of which the First gear fails to engage without making rattly noises throughout the journey, I think replacement awaits, but Shimano isn't dispatching parts I've heard.

Would appreciate some guidance, thanks!

Regards,
Arnav612
Old 9th June 2021, 19:06   #5648
BHPian

Does anyone have any experience with this site https://pedalkaro.com/ ?

They have a huge collection listed and also let you to Add to cart with payment options.
But none of the links to contact anyone works.

Looks like a fishy site.
Just wanted to check if anyone ordered bikes from this site and what has been your experience ?

i.e. Especially at this time when no one has stock in hand.
Old 9th June 2021, 19:30   #5649
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnav612 View Post
Guys, I need some advice on maintenance. I recently started cycling, back in March 2021.
I bought a rather entry level Hero Sprint.

The only thing is that my front breaks just won't stop squealing after trying tonnes of hacks and replacements. My front derailleur is bent because of which the First gear fails to engage without making rattly noises throughout the journey, I think replacement awaits, but Shimano isn't dispatching parts I've heard.

Would appreciate some guidance, thanks!

Regards,
Arnav612
Hey Arnav,

Assuming they actually stop you alright, squealing brakes are not really a problem (unless the noise creates psychological stresses...).

You didn't mention what type of brakes you have.

If NOT stopping well, and the sound comes especially at low speeds, sometimes it can be that a bit of oil/grease has got on the disc brake pads... if those are low-end pads especially, it is almost impossible (in my experience) to fully clean them to where they again work as intended. I too have tried "everything" (all sorts of solvents, soaps, boiling, baking...). In that case probably need new pads, carefully installed on very clean, de-oiled discs.

I am having it happen with rim brakes on my wife's Firefox after changing to really hard, good-quality pads from the cheap soft ones I had earlier.

Finally, squealing is nothing more than high-frequency vibration, and that can be caused by all kinds of things, including loose tolerances between parts - which would be especially common in lower-end cycles like the Sprint.

As for the derailleur, unless it is badly bent they can usually be put back into workable, approximately original shape with screwdrivers/pliers... assuming a mechanic with the requisite skill/motivation can be availed.

Proper adjustment thereafter is of course important, lest history repeat itself...

Alas, good and reasonable cycle mechanics seem to be a rare breed... Even here in Manali where there are so many decent mtb's running around. They (three different mechanics here, for examples) are taking ₹150 (uninstalled) for a pure desi (₹20) inner brake cable, ₹1200 for hydraulic brake bleeding, ₹600 for fitting a rear wheel (improperly - twice - finally I had to re-do his work, he also did not know how to get a tubeless tyre bead to seat, and told the customer the tyre was "defective" - a point I disproved by seating it!)... It is really a pathetic situation, and in general I feel it may be better for people to make their peace with getting their hands dirty and learning a little DIY when it comes to basic bicycle service and adjustments. I realize this may not be for everyone, but YouTube can get owners pretty far these days.

On those lines: In the absence of any comments/advice here, I picked up the Raleigh Conan at ₹14k... But if I'd caught the owner a week earlier, could"ve maybe had it at a few thousand less... he had spent above 4-5k on poor and/or overpriced service and/or parts in the past couple weeks.

-Eric.

Last edited by ringoism : 9th June 2021 at 19:33.
ringoism is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2021, 23:25   #5650
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Slightly unrelated query - it may have been asked before but I haven’t checked back pages - are the cops in Bangalore stopping cyclists who do long trips solo during lockdown? I am thinking this is a good opportunity to enjoy fitness activities on long empty roads but unsure if I am going to be penalised if I venture out on the roads…
From what I heard on the apartment cycling WA group, cycling for leisure is not allowed. Someone had even shared an article, which I am not able to find now. So the guys are either sitting at home or doing small rides around the apartment and layout.
Old 10th June 2021, 13:22   #5651
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
From what I heard on the apartment cycling WA group, cycling for leisure is not allowed. Someone had even shared an article, which I am not able to find now. So the guys are either sitting at home or doing small rides around the apartment and layout.
I have been riding alone about 30 kms daily and 60+ on weekends. I start at 5:45, routes are old airport road, inner ring road, MG road, Kantirava, Kasturba, Cubbon, Indiranagar 100 foot, Whitefield road, etc.

Never see any cops leave alone being stopped.
goandude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 13:30   #5652
Distinguished - BHPian

I have seen folks cycling down Kanakapura Road in the mornings, for quite some distance from the city. A friend also goes out a few times a week.

The foot air pump I have needs a new hose. Open on one-side, and the connector/holder on the other. Any idea where are shops that sell these items in Bangalore - prefer south BLR ? (Specific shop please. I know it can be available around city market area, but that will mean too much searching when not having a lead)

Last edited by condor : 10th June 2021 at 13:32.
Old 10th June 2021, 15:47   #5653
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Aware people have been cycling, but I just thought of waiting it out till the lockdown is over, which is hopefully just a few more days.
But must be fantastic to ride without all that traffic in the morning.
Old 13th June 2021, 12:51   #5654
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
That's my bike.

You will need to upgrade to a VERY good bike after this, the more you ride her, so as not to come away feeling underwhelmed.

Cheers, Doc
Hey Doc,

Who else but you for advice on this topic.

Am new to bicycles but here it is.

I have bad knees due to many weeks of hiking and trekking with loads on my back and the wrong shoes. So I can't run. I want to take up cycling.

1. Urban commute to replace by motorcycle and car
2. Weekend country roads and if I want to meet a friend across town, bicycle it is.
3. I don't intend to do long distance cycling at the moment, highways on a cycle do not fascinate me. I will however throw the bike in my car and head up to the hills to enjoy the place.
4. Upright bicycle is a MUST. I do not want to bend over and ride.
5. Comfort Comfort Comfort!

I am 5.10 so I guess large frame it is. I have a budget of about 40k for the bicycle. Hybrid bike, Alloy frame etc yes.

Now what brand and which model do I look at? There are so many out there my mind is going numb. I plan to head to a big shop to get a touch and feel of these things too.

I am open to used bicycles as well, I don't have a problem with that.

Any one else with useful advice, please do chip in. I prefer to spend once on this and never having to look at it again for the next 5 years, as is with most of my purchases. And if I don't enjoy the product, I will never use it.

Last edited by Red Liner : 13th June 2021 at 13:17.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 13:29   #5655
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
1. Urban commute to replace by motorcycle and car
2. Weekend country roads and if I want to meet a friend across town, bicycle it is.
3. I don't intend to do long distance cycling at the moment, highways on a cycle do not fascinate me. I will however throw the bike in my car and head up to the hills to enjoy the place.
4. Upright bicycle is a MUST. I do not want to bend over and ride.
5. Comfort Comfort Comfort!
#4 rules out a road bike. So, it is a choice between an MTB and a hybrid bike. Of these as you are planning to ride only on paved roads, I would suggest get a good hybrid bike.

If you plan to ride in the hills, you will need a properly geared bike with good lower gear ratio. Doc is the expert on this topic and should be able to give you what gear ratios to look for.

I am not up to date on the latest models so, not able to give you advice on specific model. I am sure you will get the right recommendations from other experts.

Apart from the budget for the bike, please have some budget for the following accessories.

1. A good pair of padded shorts,
2. A helmet
3. Bottle holder
4. If you plan to ride in the dark, a good head light and a tail light
5. A hand pump, tire levers, a multi tool and puncture patching kit

Good luck with the hunt for the bicycle.
graaja is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks