Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2021, 19:48   #5956
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Your daughter has great taste. Verve 2 all the way. It looks radical man!
Quote:
Originally Posted by carthick1000 View Post
Verve 2 low step looks visually clean.
Paid 50% advance for the Verve 2 Low Step in Lithium Grey shade, expect mid/end August. Now the wait is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
What bottles do you guys use? Am not a fan of the plastic/aluminium/bpa free bottles.
We use Polar bottles, neat fit in the bottle cage (picture below), easy to drink, and doesn’t sweat much with ice water inside. Initially got a twin-pack (Sports Insulated) via Amazon. Ordered one more (Breakaway Bolt Insulated) yesterday, and is expected to arrive tomorrow.

The Bicycles thread-fullsizerender.jpg

Last edited by vb-saan : 2nd July 2021 at 20:06.
vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2021, 07:47   #5957
BHPian

Am looking to buy a Cycle mount rack for the car that can hold at least 2 bikes.

Mine is a Sedan and the boot has a 2 inch height rear spoiler at the end of the boot.
Will the spoiler prevent fixing the rack ?

Also please let me know of any decent models available ?
I am hoping to get one within 7k
Old 3rd July 2021, 09:27   #5958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Am looking to buy a Cycle mount rack for the car that can hold at least 2 bikes.
you can try in Decathlon .

https://www.decathlon.in/p/8342387/a...8342387&type=p
greyhound82 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2021, 09:29   #5959
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post

Mine is a Sedan and the boot has a 2 inch height rear spoiler at the end of the boot.
Will the spoiler prevent fixing the rack ?

Also please let me know of any decent models available ?
Spoiler may cause issues or get damaged.
I got this recently for my Thar/Sedan/hatch
Paid 5200 at a local bicycle store.

http://bikerzrack.com/car_bike_racks_india/
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2021, 10:38   #5960
Senior - BHPian

Some cyclist classist humour from the WhatsApp University for the weekend.

The Bicycles thread-img20210703wa0008.jpg
ebonho is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2021, 10:42   #5961
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally got all my gear together and got on with a fairly decent first ride of about 20 kms in the city.

Getting blessed at the Mecca along the way
The Bicycles thread-pxl_20210703_020706985.mp01.jpeg

They even created an offroad patch in front of the delivery bay to make sure the 390 adventure stays true to its name

Benefits of a small road bike i guess. Fit the thing into the passenger elevator for the ride up home. Didn't power the service elevator this morning.
The Bicycles thread-pxl_20210703_023557653.mp01.jpeg

I was nodding out to cyclists along the way. Some responded from across the road and some wondered if i was retarded

Ps: sadly the classist approach is evident on the roads. Regular everyday folks like security guards pedalling tough flyovers in single geared bikes while the rest of us uptight losers whizz by on the latest and greatest. I felt quite bad. Will make it a point to nod out to these guys or offer encouragement as I ride by or even just a look back and a smile.

Last edited by Red Liner : 3rd July 2021 at 10:47.
Red Liner is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2021, 10:50   #5962
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Finally got all my gear together and got on with a fairly decent first ride of about 20 kms in the city.
Nice helmet. Which one did you pick up finally?

The nodding thing is universal. Like in society you will get snobs, friendly types, sociopaths, classist roadies who will never nod to a non roadie, super aggressive types who will check out your bike and gear but pretend to ignore you, and the most deadly specimen, the amateur racer in the middle of an interval who will stare at you in pain with waterfalls of sweat dripping from his face and dead blank eyes.

However, when you overtake a cyclist, a good morning is always nice. And 9.9 times out of 10 you will get a response.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2021, 11:00   #5963
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Nice helmet. Which one did you pick up finally?

The nodding thing is universal. Like in society you will get snobs, friendly types, sociopaths, classist roadies who will never nod to a non roadie, super aggressive types who will check out your bike and gear but pretend to ignore you, and the most deadly specimen, the amateur racer in the middle of an interval who will stare at you in pain with waterfalls of sweat dripping from his face and dead blank eyes.

However, when you overtake a cyclist, a good morning is always nice. And 9.9 times out of 10 you will get a response.

Cheers, Doc
Merida team race ar3. This was the only one that fit my noggin perfectly in a small hat size. I am almost on the verge of buying another one just to stock up. It’s ridiculous that you can’t find a decent lid to fit your head. You think I should or? 4400. Not a bad price too.

Nodding comes naturally to me, even when on a motorcycle. Sadly it hasn’t caught up in India. Most people would rather ask you how much you earn per month as opposed to nodding their head hi LOL. Talk about a misplaced sense of privacy.

The only thing I overtook this morning was a an auto…and he was going slow because he was looking for a savaari
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2021, 11:05   #5964
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Merida team race ar3. This was the only one that fit my noggin perfectly in a small hat size. I am almost on the verge of buying another one just to stock up. It’s ridiculous that you can’t find a decent lid to fit your head. You think I should or? 4400. Not a bad price too.
Very nice helmet. First time I'm seeing it in this color, which is why I did not place it. No need to buy another. This one will last you 5 years. Things will get better a lot before that.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2021, 13:21   #5965
BHPian

Quote:
Some cyclist classist humour from the WhatsApp University for the weekend.

Attachment 2174328
Time to get myself an ebike. Also he seems to be the happiest
papr23 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2021, 17:09   #5966
BHPian

Quote:
Why do you have these pedals? Why change what comes on a regular road bike? I saw these in a store and they looked nice and shiny. School us.
Just happened to read back on the conversations on this thread. Regarding pedals, I started out with platforms on my Trek 7.1fx hybrid, then moved onto Shimano SL cleat pedals on my road bike. While this was fantastic, regarding the power transfer and 'connect' with the bike when cycling in group rides and pelotons while in the UAE, they proved to be quite a pain on Kerala roads.

I have had a few falls here , the first few were at traffic lights when I forget to clip out but afterwards mostly with sudden changes in traffic conditions with dogs running across, crazy hoomans and their three wheelers and what not.

So now, I have found a comfortable compromise. I use the kind of pedal in the pictures, platform type on one side and a MTB clip on on the other. This is on my Merckx road bike. I use MTB shoes with the appropriate MTB cleats. This I feel works just perfectly for me - clip into pedal when road conditions are good and use the platform side when its heavy traffic. It is also much easier to clip out of these compared to the Shimano SPS SL types.

The Bicycles thread-img_20210627_094612.jpeg

The Bicycles thread-img_20210627_094557.jpeg

Maybe if you are new to the world of cycling or want to take it a notch up this might be safer and comfortable via media, before moving upto the complete clipless pedals.

Cheerio!
alphadog is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2021, 17:30   #5967
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadog View Post
Just happened to read back on the conversations on this thread. Regarding pedals, I started out with platforms on my Trek 7.1fx hybrid, then moved onto Shimano SL cleat pedals on my road bike. While this was fantastic, regarding the power transfer and 'connect' with the bike when cycling in group rides and pelotons while in the UAE, they proved to be quite a pain on Kerala roads.

I have had a few falls here , the first few were at traffic lights when I forget to clip out but afterwards mostly with sudden changes in traffic conditions with dogs running across, crazy hoomans and their three wheelers and what not.

So now, I have found a comfortable compromise. I use the kind of pedal in the pictures, platform type on one side and a MTB clip on on the other. This is on my Merckx road bike. I use MTB shoes with the appropriate MTB cleats. This I feel works just perfectly for me - clip into pedal when road conditions are good and use the platform side when its heavy traffic. It is also much easier to clip out of these compared to the Shimano SPS SL types.

Attachment 2174468

Attachment 2174467

Maybe if you are new to the world of cycling or want to take it a notch up this might be safer and comfortable via media, before moving upto the complete clipless pedals.

Cheerio!
Most BRM guys use these. Over hundreds of kilometres of non stop riding, hot spots develop. So getting relief by flipping the pedals over for some time helps.

However, a friend who rode the last Paris Brest Paris seems unconvinced because he says that because the soles of the MTB type boots is much softer and flexible unlike the rigid soled road boots, he used to actually feel the points 9f the pedal on the soles of his by then tenderized feet.

He rides a road bike with these pedals, MTB boots. He's wanting to shift to road boots and pedals for this reason but is pit off by the usual reasons.

Cheers, Doc
Old 4th July 2021, 07:25   #5968
BHPian

Absolutely!. That is correct when riding at the highest level or for a competition, the MTB shoes are a tad bit softer than the regular road shoes and hence there is some loss of pedalling power transfer. Having said that the MTB shoes I have has a reasonably hard sole and does not flex by hand, so I guess it ain't too bad after all. I was using SPD -SL type shimano pedals and road shoes with carbon sole when abroad, as we could ride for long stretches without any traffic interruptions. But for the said reasons, I don't feel comfortable using them here, so they are packed away.

The other advantage with the MTB shoes is that the cleats smaller and are recessed in the shoe sole, so it is much easier, if one has to get down and walk around. The same would be a bit annoying in road shoes with the cleats.

For my kind of riding, here in India, I am in my mid-40s, wherein I typically ride 40-60 kms for weekend rides at an average of 26-28 kmph, these MTB shoes with the said pedals work perfectly. I reckon it would suit most people when starting out.

Btw, ebonho, its nice to meet another Biker-cyclist doctor on the forum, I am a doctor too - an Orthopaedic surgeon.

Cheerio!
alphadog is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2021, 10:39   #5969
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadog View Post
Absolutely!.
Btw, ebonho, its nice to meet another Biker-cyclist doctor on the forum, I am a doctor too - an Orthopaedic surgeon.

Cheerio!
Super meeting you too alphadog.

There are no doubt many advantages 9f MTB cleats, especially for touring, bikepacking, offroad and BRM guys.

They are also by design much easier to get in and out of.

The normal "lollipop" type MTB pedal, one doesn't even have to bother about engaging (the flip) the correct side of the pedal, coz the cleats can engage on to both sides.

Road shoes and pedals, not only make you walk like a duck, but are extremely slippy on surfaces like floors and steps, and you have to walk on those very gingerly.
Old 4th July 2021, 10:55   #5970
Distinguished - BHPian

Chennagide guru!

The Bicycles thread-pxl_20210704_020312310.mp01.jpeg
Red Liner is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks