Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2011, 11:58   #751
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Rs 5 to fill air in both the tires.
Rs 700 for a foot pump.

Not very keen on buying it now. Plus am a little scared of my wife right now. The poor lady has to put up with enough motorcycle+car stuff. If I start hording cycle stuff as well. Its not going to be pretty.
The floor pump i recommended is 900 after discount. The merida equivalent is 1500 IIRC.

The good Topeak frame pump is about 2k.

Let's look at it this way - if you are in your 30s and are overweight, chances are that one day Murphy will catch up with you and you will either have to push your bike a few km or you will build biceps and injure back while trying to inflate it with a cheap frame pump (think the Giyo Rs 650 types item). I haven't succumbed to the Topeak yet but the floor pump has been bought.

FWIW - the Giyo frame pump has been used to fill my car's rear tyre from zero till about 30 psi without much effort - within about 5 odd min IIRC. The floor pump should take 2 mins tops.

So you can justify it as an all rounder. In comparison, The car/bike foot pump is a monstrous contraption that can't do the job.

PS: Tell her our examples - most of us have spent 100-120% in accessories compared to the bike cost, with no end in sight!
PPS: Word of the day: Iceberg
Old 22nd June 2011, 12:10   #752
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
PS: Tell her our examples - most of us have spent 100-120% in accessories compared to the bike cost, with no end in sight!
PPS: Word of the day: Iceberg
haha. How true. Although I have not "reached" at that point now. It looks sooner I would be!!!

The price is not high, but number of options are too much. You buy 5 to 6 accessories/gadget and you are done
Old 22nd June 2011, 22:19   #753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamkhadse View Post
I think am gonna need some help from people here . I have been attracted towards full sus bikes and was thinking of buying one . MOst of the nice ones seem really out of budget . I came across Hero Genius which esentially is adidas genius . Hero is collaborating with adidas . Am not sure how good is adidas when it comes to cycles , they sure make good sports gear but cycles , never heard of them .

None of the cycle shops here stock the cycle . I have to order and buy it without a trial .

So , I came across this review on the net :
Review :Adidas Genius Bike - Indian Cyclists Network

The review and the cycle look prety amazing in the pictures . But am not sure if its worth investing 18 big ones on that cycle .

I was initially thinkking about hero recra or estes which are less than 9000 , cuz am a casual cyclist . NOt a pro . Wont be going on trails or anything of that sort . But yesterday I went and checked out a lot of cycles . The Treks and Gary fishers look so yummy but are a bit too expensive . Checked out the new RR 6.3 2011 .. Havent read many reviews on the net about it but the bike looks AWESOME ! matt black and what an appeal . BUt its not a full sus . PEople have been telling me that full sus is of no use unless am a pro trail person , is that tru ? For my use should a normal front suspension be enough ?

Also checked out Firefox bad attitude and viper , those bad boys have suspensions the size of harleys and that makes teh cycles so heavy . Also checked out the new firefox target , surprisingly light , very very light and it comes with full sus and disc brakes too . Hercules is a no no for me . I wont be going in for hero too , might consider a genius if I get a good bargain . THe Firefox bad attitude is very appealing but it way too heavy on the front side because of the heavy suspensions .

Any bike that you would like to suggest , 15 grand budget , killer looks and front suspension and disc brakes . I know am asking for too much in this budget but am sure I should be able to find what I want !

Please help !
My Dear Cycle People, today , as soon as I finished office I rushed to a cycle outlet in Kothrun Pune (Surendar Cycle ) its a BSA Hercules Expert outlet . I went there to check out the ACT plus and the 106 S and a couple of Roadeo series . And the guy there is so nice and he explains stuff in so much detail , he eventually had me looking at GT agressor , Mongoose and Schwinn Frontier Expert and TREK 3700 and 4300 and Schwinn Sportera SPORT .

Seriously , the schwinn sporterra sport swept me off my feet . What a bike and the colour combo just looks awesome . Somehow I didnt like the overall looks of the bike . I wanted something Macho . So started checking the front sus bikes . Tried the GT agressor and the mongoose both of which i didnt like at all . Atleast after rising a hybrid you feel as if you have to really put a lot of force to ride an MTB . The sporterra sport os so amazing ., it starts moving as soon as you sit on it . Absolute effortless bike , total droll .

SO I have finally narowed it down to Schwinn Sporterra sport or the Schwinn Frontier Expert , will not look at anything else for any reason . The price of each , on the track and trail website is 17000 and 17500 respectively .

They might give me a 1000 Rs discount . BUt on the net I've read that people have bought these bikes for 15000 and lesser , so if anyone can help me with definitive prices , please do .

Any feedbacks about these cycles would be greatly appreciated . Hope to get the cycle this weekend and start contributing to saving the ECO system .

Am really confused between these bikes because the sporterra sport which is an enhanced version of the sporterra is like butter , super smooth and absolute effortless .

ON the other had the frontier expert is all that I want , looks plus disc braked on the fornt and back and macho looks and rides pretty nice too .

HELP PLEASE !!
Old 22nd June 2011, 22:49   #754
Senior - BHPian

No really, figure out what you want to do: this can help: BikesZone - Cycling • View topic - Want to buy a bike? READ THIS FIRST

I would say hybrid unless you seriously want to mudplug.

You can commute nicely + pune has many good inclines where you can climb well on a non-MTB
Old 24th June 2011, 13:01   #755
Team-BHP Support

A very stupid mistake yesterday.

My breakfast had been a decent Ragi Bread sandwiches and some museli.
But for lunch at around 1 PM, I had bhel puri and a fruit plate.

Now this lunch was obviously not going to help with my ride back. My wife called up and asked me to pick up some stuff enroute.
Distance was not an issue. But this detour meant I had to do a full 2km long continuous climb back to my home.

Pedaling all the way up, I did not walk the bike.
My legs were fine, my heart was not pounding. However by the time I reached home, I was so famished.
Had some food. But the feeling of extreme fatigue lasted well into the night.

Fine by morning, but learnt my lesson.

Damn this cycling is going to force me to eat right.
Old 24th June 2011, 13:18   #756
Senior - BHPian

Question to all cycling to office, esp for the once who dont have the privilege of shower facility at work.

Do you guys carry the office wear along and change over at work or wear something casual ?

thanks
Old 24th June 2011, 14:26   #757
Team-BHP Support

Lohith, That would depend on location and distance.

In a dry climate like Hyderabad, one would be able to get away without a change of clothes.
But in humid Chennai, it may not be possible.
Old 24th June 2011, 14:44   #758
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Question to all cycling to office, esp for the once who dont have the privilege of shower facility at work.

Do you guys carry the office wear along and change over at work or wear something casual ?

thanks
I carry and change in office. Its not possible to sit with those wet dress after those rides
Old 26th June 2011, 16:38   #759
BHPian

Friends: Today is a milestone day for me and I am very happy.

With today morning ride of approx 35 KM I managed to clock over 1000 KM on my new bicycle BTwin Rockrider 5.1 in white which I bought from Decathlon Bangalore on 11th April 2011.

I have 2 more weeks to complete 3 months of buying my bike and its first free service is pending, which I will be doing this week or next.

Regarding the bike - I AM VERY HAPPY WITH IT! I am glad that I went for it, it suits my current purpose and is serving me well.

Will keep posting my updates and share my experiences as well going forward.

A summary of my training on Dailymile(Narayanan G) is attached here.

Thanks for reading

Ride safe, Cheers
narayanang76
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-narayanang76_training_summary_jun2011_2.jpg  

Old 26th June 2011, 17:28   #760
Team-BHP Support

and very happy for you bro.

Keep it up. Wishing you a quick 10k.
Old 27th June 2011, 09:32   #761
BHPian

MJothi: How was the 200 KM Bangalore Brevets Ride yesterday, I saw your pics on Facebook (BangaloreBrevets) - I assume it was at the ride end point?

Congrats and pl share your experience.

Cheers
narayanang76
Old 27th June 2011, 09:59   #762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanang76 View Post
MJothi: How was the 200 KM Bangalore Brevets Ride yesterday, I saw your pics on Facebook (BangaloreBrevets) - I assume it was at the ride end point?

Congrats and pl share your experience.

Cheers
narayanang76
Thanks Narayanan.

It was one of a experience. Definitely, a good team is a must.

From Tumkur it was almost raining only. Some places heavy rains. But we had no options to hold the ride since the ride should be completed before 13.5hrs.

Also, the traffic just before and after Nelamangala is pain.

Too may bridges + climbs. Return was even worst! Hated those toll booths in Nelamagala. Lost almost 10min due to the crowd.

With all those breaks and rest, did it in 12:15mins. This includes about 10-15min time lost since I went crossed the end point and came back

That moment is something cant be explained.

Btw, there were 10+ people who started the 1000KMs ride and only one person [Vishal] completed it. And he did it in just 54hrs, with a flat + an accident when entering Bangalore. The official time is 76hrs !!!

And yes, congrats on your 1000KM completion. We should catch up more often for the saturday rides.

EDIT: This is the GPS traces. http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/n4iWgbhiwBc

This do not include the ride from Home to Start point [MG Road] and End point [Jalahalli] to Home.

Last edited by mjothi : 27th June 2011 at 10:00.
Old 27th June 2011, 10:27   #763
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Thanks Narayanan.

It was one of a experience. Definitely, a good team is a must.

That moment is something cant be explained.

Btw, there were 10+ people who started the 1000KMs ride and only one person [Vishal] completed it. And he did it in just 54hrs, with a flat + an accident when entering Bangalore. The official time is 76hrs !!!

And yes, congrats on your 1000KM completion. We should catch up more often for the saturday rides.

EDIT: This is the GPS traces. Cycling Workout | Endomondo
A couple of my friends also were telling the same about having a team helps during these endurance rides. They particularly said that they thought about aborting the ride many times, but riding as a group paid off. They managed to complete the 200 K as well.

Can understand the feeling of achievement! Great! That too doing it on your stock MTB!

I assume your new raincoat and new tires helped you during the ride?

EDIT: Saw your GPS track - 60 KM MAX Speed Huh?

I heard about the 1000 K updates and about Vishal - he is a Machine! He completed the ride by at least 24 hours before the targetted end time, and then he did the 200 K along with you guys (that is what I heard?). He ride a stock BTwin Sport 1 road bike, no modification whatsoever! He fell down nearing Bangalore city traffic where a crazy motorbike fellow hit him (hit and run case) from a wrong side it seems, even after that he completed the 1K ride with bruises on his knee and elbows. The hospital guys treated him for free hearing his story it seems. Kudos to him.

Vishal's dream is to represent Karnataka and India - with the way he is, sure he would be able to achieve his dreams!

Sure lets meetup more often during week ends. Aftter some more KMs I need to start thinking of upgrading my bike as well

Cheers
narayanang76
Old 27th June 2011, 11:23   #764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanang76 View Post
EDIT: Saw your GPS track - 60 KM MAX Speed Huh?

I heard about the 1000 K updates and about Vishal - he is a Machine! He completed the ride by at least 24 hours before the targetted end time, and then he did the 200 K along with you guys (that is what I heard?).
Actually, he planned to complete the 200K.

But unfortunately, his knee is badly wounded due to the accident. Saw him yesterday, and had a bandage on the knee. I am surprised how he was able to manage from there to the end point. Great.
Old 1st July 2011, 22:13   #765
BHPian

Can cycling cause you to lose your manhood?

Quote:
Mat Honan — Your bike is destroying your penis. Unless you are a woman. In which case it's destroying your vagina. There is a solution. But nobody wants to use it because it's embarrassing. It doesn't have to be. We're here to help.
When you sit on a traditional bike saddle, you put an enormous amount of pressure on your perineum. Which is exactly where pressure isn't supposed to go. As The New York Times reports

"There's as much penis inside the body as outside," [reproductive physiologist Dr. Steven Schrader] told me. "When you sit on a regular bike saddle, you're sitting on your penis."

More precisely, according to Dr. Schrader's measurements, you are putting 25 to 40 percent of your body's weight on the nerves and blood vessels near the surface of the perineum. "That part of the body was never meant to bear pressure," Dr. Schrader said. "Within a few minutes the blood oxygen levels go down by 80 percent."
full article Five Seats to Save Your Penis From Your Bike

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks