Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2011, 10:22   #796
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Hi Phamilyman,

I too bought the same Revel 2 last week at INR 15k inclusive of all accessories. I am 5.10" and have the medium size frame which shows that it could be used between 5.7" to 5.11". Looking at the below phtograph, you have mentioned that the seatpost is 2-3" below. How do you ascertain the correct seat height ? I think while pedalling your legs should be optimally streched without any fold in between ?

Please clarify.

Kaushal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Congrts - the revel is a lovely bicycle.

However, your seatpost is about 2-3" below what it should be. Did you check your sizing before you buy? Please re-evaluate right away and exchange for the right size if the sizing is wrong!
Old 9th July 2011, 10:52   #797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Congrts - the revel is a lovely bicycle.

However, your seatpost is about 2-3" below what it should be. Did you check your sizing before you buy? Please re-evaluate right away and exchange for the right size if the sizing is wrong!
Hey Thanks!!!

I have tried different seat post position and still trying to figure out the correct position for me as of now.

I have brought Medium size bike as per height requirements, I did go through lot of posts and did quite a bit of research before I brought the bike and more over the sizing was also correctly advised by bike shop dealer hence no worries in that aspect.

What is concerned is the seat position (front, back), I need to figure that out or may be I need to get used to it as its quite difficult to ride long distance on a hard seat
Old 9th July 2011, 10:53   #798
Senior - BHPian

Thus sprach Guadzilla: The Guadzilla guide to bike fit for beginners
BikesZone - Cycling • View topic - My new Giant MTB for a good one. You can be another 0.5" higher than that (atleas the way I like it)

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/ has the best

Last edited by phamilyman : 9th July 2011 at 10:54.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2011, 11:01   #799
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkaushal View Post
Hi Phamilyman,

I too bought the same Revel 2 last week at INR 15k inclusive of all accessories. I am 5.10" and have the medium size frame which shows that it could be used between 5.7" to 5.11". Looking at the below phtograph, you have mentioned that the seatpost is 2-3" below. How do you ascertain the correct seat height ? I think while pedalling your legs should be optimally streched without any fold in between ?

Please clarify.

Kaushal.
Hey congrats there on Revel 2.

Regarding the seat post height,

1. If you place your heal on the pedal while sitting on the seat and when pedal is down and parallel to the seat post rod (frame) your leg should be straight without any bend in the knees.

2. If you are sitting on the bike and if you are able to balance the bike just with your toes barley then that would be your seat post height.

There are lot of theories available on internet if you look out for details, all the best.
Old 10th July 2011, 11:14   #800
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Note from Mod : Infractions & post deletions have been carried out on the previous page. Please note that we will NOT tolerate personal attacks and / or sarcasm on this forum.
Old 10th July 2011, 16:57   #801
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkaushal View Post

Please clarify.

Kaushal.
I see no problems with the seat height unless you really feel so. Correct posture and stuff and guidelines is all right, all you should care is if your knees are taking a beating. Again depends on your leg length for the optimum adjustment.
Old 12th July 2011, 10:02   #802
BHPian

Just wanted to share this nice picture with everyone here and hopefully this encourages more and more people to take up cycling at least once in a while if not on a regular basis
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-cycle.jpg  

Old 12th July 2011, 11:54   #803
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamkhadse View Post
Just wanted to share this nice picture with everyone here and hopefully this encourages more and more people to take up cycling at least once in a while if not on a regular basis
Nice picture and a very good message for people to take up cycling on a more regular basis.
Old 12th July 2011, 12:04   #804
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind splitter View Post
I have been riding it real hard and boy what a joy biking around.
AWESOME!!!

Like me I hope you rediscover the fun we all had some time in our life.

Quote:
What is concerned is the seat position (front, back), I need to figure that out or may be I need to get used to it as its quite difficult to ride long distance on a hard seat
Something that has helped me.

The seat. Keep it sloping by about 10 degrees, dipping towards the front. Not too much just that slightly. You should not be slipping of it.

How this has helped me is. The pressure exerted by your leg gets transmitted away from you knees and gets distributed more evenly on to your thighs. Try it for a short ride and see whether it helps you. It did to me. But I am going to check this on a long term. So we are still on beta. The internet says a lot of things about this.

Immediate pointers to a better stress taking ability. I could take the same slopes in lower gears compared to earlier without straining my knees.

Quote:
Regarding the seat post height
What works best is don't sit on the seat unless stationary. While cycling try and me as more erect as possible. No bending of the back at all. The saddle to handle bar distance should be right for this. So while buying the bike check your posture on a certain bike you are going to buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikxsans660 View Post
all you should care is if your knees are taking a beating.
EXACTLY. KNEES. KNEES. Man these things are sensitive to any changes. Once you have got into a lifestyle and well given the knees too less to do strengthening them is a huge task. But they are quite fragile too. Once you bust them you are done for better part of your life.

Please please keep a check on your knees. Even if there is a sense of a little bit of stress avoid it immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamkhadse View Post
Just wanted to share this nice picture
Guess what this was one of the pictures that did it for me.
Old 12th July 2011, 14:29   #805
BHPian

Spitfire, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post

The seat. Keep it sloping by about 10 degrees, dipping towards the front. Not too much just that slightly. You should not be slipping of it.
Regarding the seat angle, is this some thing can we do it on our own or do I need to take it to bike shop? because I did not notice (may be closely) as how can we change the angle of the seat (meaning a nut/screw/something which will help me tilt the seat) .
Old 12th July 2011, 14:53   #806
BANNED

Quote:
Regarding the seat angle, is this some thing can we do it on our own or do I need to take it to bike shop? because I did not notice (may be closely) as how can we change the angle of the seat
I just pushed it down. There is a sort of a rod.

Mine though is a Rock Rider 5.2 2011.
Old 12th July 2011, 15:03   #807
BHPian

Does anyone use Geltech Seat covers ? Any added benefits.
Old 12th July 2011, 15:20   #808
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manavdotcom View Post
Some may. Here is what many long timers recommend:
Brooks B17 Leather Bicycle Saddles ("Seats") from Harris Cyclery

If you want padding - buy LOVE2PEDAL Bicycle Shorts and Cycling Jerseys from Primal, Falconi, or TeamsCycling.com Offer Best Authentic Professional Team Cycling Jerseys and Pro Accessories. style lycra shorts. On the seat is never half as uesful.

To give another example - There's little point in coating your shorts with nappy rash cream when its your bum that's burnt. Close, but no cigar
Old 12th July 2011, 16:16   #809
BHPian

Quote:
Generally people keep the saddle exactly flat - alter the distance from the handlebar and the seat height first instead of the saddle angle.
The idea is to comfortably sit on your sit-bones and nothing else. The angle may need minor tweaks based on which Saddle is used.

Quote:
Immediate pointers to a better stress taking ability. I could take the same slopes in lower gears compared to earlier without straining my knees.
I'd attribute it more to the thighs / legs / quads getting stronger.

Quote:
What works best is don't sit on the seat unless stationary.
???? Not sure I followed this one.
Given the right fit - It is best to be 'on the saddle as much as possible', with periodic minor movements or standing up to relieve any pressure built up.

Quote:
Regarding the seat angle, is this some thing can we do it on our own or do I need to take it to bike shop? because I did not notice (may be closely) as how can we change the angle of the seat (meaning a nut/screw/something which will help me tilt the seat) .
If you have the necessary tool/s you can do it yourself. However, if you are not sure of - better to approach someone knowledgeable who may even help you with the appropriate fitment.
Yes, there is a nut-screw below the saddle if you observe.

Quote:
I just pushed it down. There is a sort of a rod.
Mine though is a Rock Rider 5.2 2011.
Again, better adjusted using a tool than push / pull technique. You may damage the threads holding it by too much push pull.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manavdotcom View Post
Avoid.
Go for quality padded shorts / bibs instead.
Old 12th July 2011, 16:39   #810
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post
Generally people keep the saddle exactly flat - alter the distance from the handlebar and the seat height first instead of the saddle angle.
Yeah, flat is general. Here I am trying to see if anything else is better, personally.

Quote:
The idea is to comfortably sit on your sit-bones and nothing else.
With the saddles on Moutain Terrain bikes? Which sit bones are in total contact with the width of the seat?

Quote:
The angle may need minor tweaks based on which Saddle is used.
We are talking about Revel Giant and RR 5.2. They are MTBs what should be the angle?

Quote:
I'd attribute it more to the thighs / legs / quads getting stronger.
So with change in angle I should not see a difference right? Wrong.

I do feel a difference. So I mentioned it. With thighs/legs/quads getting stronger I am guessing there should be no noticeable difference with the small angle mentioned. Please explain more if otherwise.

Quote:
???? Not sure I followed this one.
MTB saddles are not meant for "sitting" for too long.

Quote:
Given the right fit - It is best to be 'on the saddle as much as possible', with periodic minor movements or standing up to relieve any pressure built up.
Then surely on the MTBs we need a wider saddle. Being on the saddle of such a bike as long as possible is a pain.

Quote:
Again, better adjusted using a tool than push / pull technique. You may damage the threads holding it by too much push pull.
The thread is not holding the seat. But yeah tools should be used. I am not sure of the torque values required need to check the manual. So Was hoping the torque stays without loosening it too much.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks