Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2011, 20:21   #946
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

You guys are better off than me. I start cycling from 1st August. Done 600+ kms till now and I have put on 2 kgs weight :(

Rajan
Old 9th September 2011, 21:04   #947
Team-BHP Support

My only advice as an amateur cyclist with less kms than you is.
Don't worry too much about it.

But try and work on your diet. Do NOT add anything extra just because you are cycling.
Anything includes health drinks like complan, horlicks etc.

Try to eat the same stuff you used to eat before. If possible try and cut down on your dinner.

My understand of food is:
Fat and Carbs are for energy.
Protein is the muscle builder.
Fiber is for letting the food get digested.

Meat is not an energy giver. Greens leafy vegetables are.

Also a lot of people say, muscle is heavier than fat. But the difference in weight afaik is just around 3%.
Fat cannot convert into muscle. Just like muscle does not convert into fat.

For an effective weight loss via any activity. You need to do it for a sustained period of at least 30 minutes.
Any thing less than 15 mins, you are only burning sugar. The fat burn takes later.

The above is with my very limited knowledge of how diet works.
Also its not meant for anyone interested in competitive sports including cycling.

This is just my understanding for a commuter cyclist looking at a nice side effect in the form of weight loss.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2011, 11:50   #948
Senior - BHPian

Some needy sould flicked the seat off my Rockrider 5 a few days ago. While I ranted and raved about it, I guess nothing will come out of it.

So moving on, where and how can I procure the seat from? I live in Pune and can make a trip to the Lifecycle mall but I would like to know if this is available online?
Old 15th September 2011, 13:15   #949
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Some needy sould flicked the seat off my Rockrider 5 a few days ago. While I ranted and raved about it, I guess nothing will come out of it.

So moving on, where and how can I procure the seat from? I live in Pune and can make a trip to the Lifecycle mall but I would like to know if this is available online?
Oh no. That's so sad.

I thought it should be available in decathlon online store. But could not find it.

I think its better to visit the local bike shop and try.
Old 15th September 2011, 13:27   #950
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Oh no. That's so sad.
I thought it should be available in decathlon online store. But could not find it. I think its better to visit the local bike shop and try.
Yeah, I could not find it on their site. they do have a seat rod, but there is no image and I dont think thats the seat IIRC. I will go and check locally now as I have spent enough time looking up online. Maybe I will check the French Decathlon site and see if they have this available.

I guess I get a premonition but I cannot identify it at the moment. Or just plain kaali zubaan for myself

Instance 1: I had bought really expensive Puma sneakers when in college. My then girlfriend/ now wife took me to a temple. While removing the shoes, I casually said let me keep the socks on. If the shoes are gone when we return, at least I wont be barefoot. We return within 30 seconds and the sneakers are gone.

Instance 2: I took the padded gel seat off and my wife glanced at me. I said somebody might flick this from the parking lot. next morning the seat is gone. She reminded me of Instance 1. No one within earshot either case. now I wonder if someone is actioning what I said both times or if I am getting some omens.

Maybe I should say something like when I come back here in an hour there will be a truck filled with gold meant for me! Never get that thought unfortunately.
Old 15th September 2011, 14:46   #951
BANNED

Quote:
Yeah, I could not find it on their site. they do have a seat rod, but there is no image and I dont think thats the seat IIRC. I will go and check locally now as I have spent enough time looking up online. Maybe I will check the French Decathlon site and see if they have this available.
I think I saw it at Bangalore Decathalon. Want me to pick one and courier it? Ofcourse you pay the tab and some more for the effort

I have routed the cable lock through the seat hooks so no one can flick it. Need to come up with an idea for the removable front and rear wheel.
Old 15th September 2011, 14:48   #952
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
I think I saw it at Bangalore Decathalon. Want me to pick one and courier it? Ofcourse you pay the tab and some more for the effort

I have routed the cable lock through the seat hooks so no one can flick it. Need to come up with an idea for the removable front and rear wheel.
You can replace them with a non-quick release axle.

Or get an addition chain lock.
So both the wheels are secured to the frame.

Another way is shown here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Se...Chain_Wiki.jpg

Last edited by bblost : 15th September 2011 at 14:50.
Old 15th September 2011, 14:54   #953
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
That's an option too.

Quote:
That's another thing I have tried. I will take a picture and paste it here, how I route the cable.

In the image you linked. The front wheel is taken off. I use a longer cable instead without removing the wheel. Carrying two locks and doing circus each time will be a pain. Need to think of another easier option.
Old 15th September 2011, 15:37   #954
Senior - BHPian

Hello guys,

I have a limited budget of 12,000 Rs and want to buy a light and easy to ride bicycle. I will commute 10-20kms in a day with it. Please suggest some models.

I have tried ACT 110 Plus and liked it.

Thanks.
Old 15th September 2011, 16:53   #955
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Thanks a ton for the offer sir! When you go next, can you please let me know how much the OTB (on the bike) cost comes to?

In case I am able to lay my hands on one before that I will send you a PM

Last edited by selfdrive : 15th September 2011 at 16:55.
Old 15th September 2011, 20:05   #956
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks a ton for the offer sir! When you go next, can you please let me know how much the OTB (on the bike) cost comes to?
Will do. Might go this weekend.

This is how I lock my seat and cycle wheels. The locked cycle is a colleagues but I do the same in a non secure area. Its a circus though.

The Bicycles thread-15092011532.jpg

The Bicycles thread-15092011531.jpg
Spitfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2011, 16:35   #957
Senior - BHPian

Which Cycle is best for me?

I have started running and preparing to run a Full Marathon next year. My schedule requires me to cross train through bicycling every alternate. So need to buy a cycle.

Based on the little knowledge that I have gained about bicycles, here are my requirements:
  1. Geared Bike
  2. Since I won't be doing mountain riding, don't want an MTB. Looking at either Road bike or Hybrid
  3. Don't want something very fancy but a light aluminium body should be enough.
  4. Budget 10K Max

Please suggest brand and models to look for.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Old 20th September 2011, 16:44   #958
Team-BHP Support

MileCruncher, since you are in Hyderabad. Go to The Bike Affair - Home

They have a lot of space around the shop. There you can do a test ride, which is difficult to do elsewhere.

For 10k max you have just the Hercules Act110 and the RockRider (MTB) 5.0.

Decent Hybrid is the Schwinn Sporterra at 13.5.

These cycles usually don't come with a side stand, carrier, fenders etc.
You will need to keep some money aside for these things.

Also a decent helmet would cost you around 1.5k or so.

While this store is located in Bangalore, it will give you a fair idea on the prices.
All types of Cycles and Cycling Accessories - Decathlon India
Old 20th September 2011, 17:31   #959
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

So both the wheels are secured to the frame.

Another way is shown here: File:Security Chain Wiki.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
non-QR axle for wheels or for the seat? I personally find it a bad idea. I'd go with the chainlock anyday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I have started running and preparing to run a Full Marathon next year. My schedule requires me to cross train through bicycling every alternate. So need to buy a cycle.

Based on the little knowledge that I have gained about bicycles, here are my requirements:
  1. Geared Bike
  2. Since I won't be doing mountain riding, don't want an MTB. Looking at either Road bike or Hybrid
  4. Budget 10K Max
Please suggest brand and models to look for.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Except RR5 or if you fit ACT110, you have no options in this price. and you need a fair bit of accessories: Cycling Gyan - Culled from BikesZone & PedalYatri | FreeRiding

A decent helmet is 1.4k

Honestly, for someone who plans on a FM - you need to monitor cadence. What everyone does is buy a decent meter. 2.5k

Before anything else - ur budget is down to 6k, i.e you will get nothing.

So therefore, spend some time reading up (read the full link I sent or hop over to BikesZone - Cycling • View topic - My Bizarre entry into the world of Cycling to understand why folks spend what they do) and then allocate a proper budget. You didn't try to buy a "simple no frills" offroader in 2L, did you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
You guys are better off than me. I start cycling from 1st August. Done 600+ kms till now and I have put on 2 kgs weight :(

Rajan
oh that's okay. muscle mass would be up and life is more fun. Why so serious? Cycling is a good thing for life. Get your health stats when u complete 1000km.

Even if u've gained 2kg by just pigging out - its the most fun 2 kg assuming u pigged out lots and cycling kept the weightloss within 2kg only!

Quote:
Don't worry too much about it.

But try and work on your diet. Do NOT add anything extra just because you are cycling.
Anything includes health drinks like complan, horlicks etc.

Try to eat the same stuff you used to eat before. If possible try and cut down on your dinner.
Nonsense!!

As someone who lost 10 kg and gained it all back during a break - its okay. Two thoughts.

"You can live to be 100 if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be 100." - Woody Allen. What's the point of working out if it does not NOW let you enjoy the pizzas you otherwise craved!

And from all the good cyclists I've met - they hog like crazy. You cannot eat the same meal if you're out there burning calories daily. The best cyclist I know (as per others as well on BikesZone) can polish off a huge seafood platter along with his wife for dinner. You know, the kind that takes up almost half the table?! And he (/his wife) are fit as a fiddle.

So work out/cycle well, enjoy it while you're at it - unless you're out and out in fitness mode (but that is not how you have been cycling!!). So enjoy and cut yourself slack.

You've earned it!
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2011, 18:09   #960
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which Cycle is best for me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
  1. Geared Bike
  4. Budget 10K Max
Guys have already answered. But let me tell you. I know several people who started with much lessor budget than you. The latest addition is Rajan. Who talked about getting something around 8K and finally a Bianchi

So, try out after visiting the cycle store, try riding them and decide.

Also, if you are strict with your budget of 10K, then RR5.0 is 7.5K + a good helmet + a lock. You are done.

Good luck.
mjothi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks