Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2015, 17:21   #2296
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
I use a Garmin Edge 500 GPS computer that comes bundled with a heart rate monitor and speed cadence sensor. It cost me $300 about a year back.
Edge 500 is VFM now at $200 and below (depending on colour, it can come for as little as $160). Good time to buy this one if on isn't keen on colour touch screens and other fancy extras - its an honest, compact do-it-all.
Old 18th February 2015, 17:55   #2297
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
What are the upmarket road tires popular for Indian conditions? Need light weight and good puncture protection and ideally 25c for extra comfort. Budget upto to 5K/tire.

Read good reviews on the Conti GP and Schwalbe Ultremo ZX. Conti is not available in 25c. Any other choices?
Pardon the long post. I was in the market for road tires a month back. My requirements were durability, puncture resistance and speed (found that speed and puncture resistance never go together). I had shortlisted Schwalbe Marathon+ and Continental GP 4 seasons.

Marathon plus is virtually indestructible, but at 500+ grams a tire, is very heavy and would slow you down a lot. I read rave reviews about GP 4 seasons. These tires also have very good puncture protection (duraskin layer and vectran layer) combined with lower rolling resistance, and at 240g, half the weight of Marathon Plus.

When I decided to go with 4 seasons, many users in CYCLOP facebook page suggested the Continental GP 4000S II tires. These tires are made of black chili compound which is soft and grippy which make these tires fast. Also, a vectran layer provides puncture protection. After reading good reviews, I went ahead and ordered these from Chain Reaction Cycles and got them a couple of days back. For peace of mind, I have used MrTuff liner (I have used this with the stock Schwalbe Lugano tires with zero puncture in 3000km). These tires are FAST. On the same routes I have averaged 24kph, my average has jumped to 27kph now. Also, these tires are soft and grippy. I can feel the vibrations reduced a lot, and also improved braking.

So, I would suggest you to try either Continental GP 4 Seasons or Continental GP 4000S II. Both these are available in 25 size.

I could not find any source in India and hence had to order from Chain Reaction Cycles. Cost me about 7300 a pair including shipping. I was lucky I was not charged any duty. In case of customs duty, the cost may go up to 9.5K a pair. Also, if you choose the normal shipping which costs 9.99 pounds, there is no tracking option. It took 4 weeks to reach me. An additional 10 pounds will get you DHL shipping which has tracking and also quicker delivery time and customs clearance.

Good luck with the tire selection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Edge 500 is VFM now at $200 and below (depending on colour, it can come for as little as $160). Good time to buy this one if on isn't keen on colour touch screens and other fancy extras - its an honest, compact do-it-all.
Totally agree. Edge 500 is the most VFM option for bike GPS. This is also a long established model which is bug free. I would also consider Edge 510 which has some cool features like live tracking, instant upload etc with color touch screen display.
Old 18th February 2015, 18:59   #2298
Senior - BHPian

Graaja, thanks a ton for the detailed feedback. I am going through the exact situation as you were. The stock luganos do not offer any comfort on our "silky smooth" roads. I am not worried too much about my low average of 23km/h. Its the vibrations that's killing.

I am leaning towards GP 4000S, but they are not in stock for 25c. What size did you order? Does 23c make a big difference over the 25c? Probikers Chennai has Conti. He can get the 23c only. I am traveling, so planning to search for them in some stores abroad.
Old 18th February 2015, 19:13   #2299
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Graaja, thanks a ton for the detailed feedback. I am going through the exact situation as you were. The stock luganos do not offer any comfort on our "silky smooth" roads. I am not worried too much about my low average of 23km/h. Its the vibrations that's killing.

I am leaning towards GP 4000S, but they are not in stock for 25c. What size did you order? Does 23c make a big difference over the 25c? Probikers Chennai has Conti. He can get the 23c only. I am traveling, so planning to search for them in some stores abroad.
23c is good for racing, but the ride will be harsh. For plusher ride, go for 25c. I ordered 25c.

I just checked Chain Reaction Cycles has stock.

If you choose Black, 700C, 25 size, in the below link, it shows 5+ stock. Each tire costs 32.99pounds
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/i.../rp-prod120460

They also offer a pair of 25c tires at 63.49 pounds in the below link. This also is in stock.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/i.../rp-prod122746
Old 18th February 2015, 19:31   #2300
Senior - BHPian

I had gotten the Schwalbe Marathon+ in Nov 2012. Peace of mind ever since.

I'd gotten a deal for SMP (London 28c) for 3300 a pair (no customs!!). Its taken about 3500km of riding in the last two years without a single puncture. I'm not complaining much hence. I'm anyways an out of shape 26-28 kph averaging roadie.

When I get bored I will ultimately upgrade to the GP4000s. They are supposed to be the gold standard for quick puncture proof tyres in the affordable (5k/tyre) range.

Last edited by manson : 18th February 2015 at 19:37. Reason: Typo. Hours = Years.
Old 18th February 2015, 19:55   #2301
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

I'd gotten a deal for SMP (London 28c) for 3300 a pair (no customs!!). Its taken about 3500km of riding in the last two years without a single puncture. I'm not complaining much hence. I'm anyways an out of shape 26-28 kph averaging roadie.

When I get bored I will ultimately upgrade to the GP4000s. They are supposed to be the gold standard for quick puncture proof tyres in the affordable (5k/tyre) range.
I wouldn't call a 26-28kph averaging roadie out of shape That is a 3.5 hour century ride! When time comes to change the tires, give the 4000s a try. You will become a 30+kph averaging roadie!
Old 18th February 2015, 19:55   #2302
Team-BHP Support

Rider update
Its been exactly two months since I brought home the Montra bicycle and unfortunately I haven't been able to ride more than twice or thrice a week. I think I'm still this side of 500 kms if I add up all my Strava activity.
When I do end up waking up though, I take loops around the neighborhood, adding up to about 28 kms in a little over 90 minutes each ride.

The Bicycles thread-img20150206wa0023.jpg

I need to start getting a lot more frequent and consistent in the weeks to come and I really am looking to lose any weight at all :(

The Bicycles thread-dsc_8766-large.jpg

The Bicycles thread-dsc_8769-large.jpg

Bicycle update
The gear shift to 3 on the left lever is still not working right, this despite having visited the newly opened Track & Trail in the area.
The seat is a bit too stiff, light ache starts to set in after 45-60 mins of riding.
Commonly used gear combination of 2-5 & 2-4 seems to work best for me, especially 2-4 for keeping the cadence in the 80 range.
The brakes are super, emergency braking on the front wheel can easily lift the rear wheel for a stoppie even my 95 Kg load.

Finally secured a neat parking spot outside my place using a Firefox vertical mount I bought off amazon.in
The Bicycles thread-dsc_9780-large.jpg

Last edited by manson : 18th February 2015 at 20:01.
Old 18th February 2015, 20:11   #2303
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
If you choose Black, 700C, 25 size, in the below link, it shows 5+ stock. Each tire costs 32.99pounds
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/i.../rp-prod120460

They also offer a pair of 25c tires at 63.49 pounds in the below link. This also is in stock.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/i.../rp-prod122746
Continental is supposed to be the best in the market, Schwalbe comes a second. The Continental GatorSkin is another one that has a lot of good reviews in the cycling community here for puncture resistance. Not sure how it compares to the 4000S or the other options mentioned above.

That's quite a difference in pricing - why not keep an extra pair of tube(s) as an more affordable option - I have always been sticking to that strategy.

P.s. What's the word on Continental Ultra Sport? I got those (23c) as stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
I need to start getting a lot more frequent and consistent in the weeks to come and I really am looking to lose any weight at all :(
Join cycling groups - there are several active ones in Mumbai - I believe there are a few tbhp members too involved in some of them. I had shared FB links earlier - can PM you if you want. It's really fun to do riding with a group - takes care of the consistency factor if nothing.

Quote:
The seat is a bit too stiff, light ache starts to set in after 45-60 mins of riding.
Tried padded shorts? If still a problem, why not change the seat.

Edit: Looking at the cycle pic, I'd say your seat definitely needs to go higher.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 18th February 2015 at 20:17.
Old 18th February 2015, 20:23   #2304
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Attachment 1341408
To lose weight, there are two approaches. One is doing LSD (long steady rides) where you ride long distances with more time on the saddle (2 to 4 hours) with the heart rate in Z2.

If you do not get time to do LSDs, then do intervals where you push hard with your heart rate in Z4, spin easy for a short duration and repeat the cycle.

An example of a 45 minute interval workout:

10 minutes warm up. Spin easy. Do a minute or two of high cadence of 110+ to wake up your cycling muscles
40 seconds push heard + 20 seconds spin easy - Repeat 10 times
5 minutes easy spin
40 seconds push heard + 20 seconds spin easy - Repeat 10 times
5 minutes easy spin
5 minutes cool down

When I say push hard, your muscles should beg for mercy by the end of the workout. It should be that hard. But you will have the highest calorie burn rate, and also your metabolism will be active for a long time even after you stop.

Search the net for Cycling Interval Training plans, and you will get many good plans.

Another important element in losing weight is keeping track of what you consume. My weight was in the 90-95kg range for a very long time. Though I was very active - tennis, gym, cycling etc - I never was able to lose weight. But then I started tracking what I eat using an app called MyFitnessPal. I set a target 1800 calorie intake and created a deficit of 500 calories average a day. This was very effective and I lost 10 kilos in about 3 to 4 months. Once I got to the target weight, I stepped up the target calories to 2000. Now calorie tracking has become a habit.

A note on calorie intake: The target calorie intake for a person depends on many factors like gender, age, weight, activity level etc. Do some reading on nutrition to find your target calorie. Under-eating is also good. If your body goes into starvation mode, it will start preserving fat instead of burning it. If you are constantly tired and low in energy, you should bump up the calorie intake in 100 calorie blocks. With some experiment, you will hit the right numbers and then onward, losing weight will be inevitable.

A note on heart rate: Heart rate zones are based on the max heart rate for your age. Strava should give you the heart rate zones base on your age. Again max heart rate is just an approximation based on age. The actual value may be different based on the level of fitness.

Good luck with the weight loss!

Last edited by graaja : 18th February 2015 at 20:28.
Old 18th February 2015, 20:33   #2305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Rider update
Its been exactly two months since I brought home the Montra bicycle and unfortunately I haven't been able to ride more than twice or thrice a week. I think I'm still this side of 500 kms if I add up all my Strava activity.
When I do end up waking up though, I take loops around the neighborhood, adding up to about 28 kms in a little over 90 minutes each ride.
Lovely stand paaji. My suggestion? Get good shorts. Get your fit checked by seasoned riders, and ride longer/faster (main roads vs interior roads) - target 40-45km a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Continental is supposed to be the best in the market, Schwalbe comes a second. The Continental GatorSkin is another one that has a lot of good reviews in the cycling community here for puncture resistance. Not sure how it compares to the 4000S or the other options mentioned above.

That's quite a difference in pricing - why not keep an extra pair of tube(s) as an more affordable option - I have always been sticking to that strategy.

P.s. What's the word on Continental Ultra Sport? I got those (23c) as stock
NT- disagree on Conti there. Let's define best first.

SMP is pretty much the gold standard in the entry level for total puncture protection. However, its level of puncture protection is unnecessary in the developed world where Contis is the default choice.

http://www.bikeszone.com/forum/viewt...hp?f=33&t=7528 - you dont find SMP owners having as many busted tires as the 4000s. I could brag further about the SMP for fear of the velogoddess punishing me with a puncture this weekend so I'll shut up now.

But yes, SMP riders get dropped in the first 30 seconds, so technically their opinions don't matter

Gatorskins are good as well AFAIK. http://www.bikeszone.com/forum/viewt...p?f=12&t=17096 has a good word from sharath

PS: Interesting tidbit: I've seen the brisbane bike sharing service use only Schwalbe Durano (?) on their cycles. Clearly they'd want to outfit the bikes with the most solid tyres even at the cost of speed, right?
Old 18th February 2015, 21:14   #2306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would also consider Edge 510 which has some cool features like live tracking, instant upload etc with color touch screen display.
510s, 700 etc and the entire range can be considered. I was speaking from a VFM POV because 500 has become cheaper post 510 release. People like me don't need live feeds or colour screens - I dumped my Panobike sensors recently since I just need the information without having to worry about battery life or cellular links, the 500 does the job without any fuss.

Quote:
Gatorskins are good as well AFAIK.
Gatorskins are good, recommended in places where punctures from bad roads are common.

Last edited by Steeroid : 18th February 2015 at 21:18.
Old 18th February 2015, 21:38   #2307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Gatorskins are good, recommended in places where punctures from bad roads are common.
Saar,

on a side note - do post a pic of your bike(s) sometime. I don't think we've had the pleasure of seeing your bike set yet! AFAIK you were a SUV/SBK person till sometime back (incl the awesome MT01 a few years back!!).

If you've already posted the pics already, please feel free to share a link to the CAAD10
Old 18th February 2015, 21:48   #2308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Saar,

on a side note - do post a pic of your bike(s) sometime.
Only for you, phamilyman. This is the only pic I have, and there are two of them in it - the white one belongs to my son, the all-black is mine. Ignore the handlebar setup - they were raised for a long-ish ride the next day:
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-thunder-lightning.jpg  

Last edited by Steeroid : 18th February 2015 at 22:01.
Old 18th February 2015, 22:21   #2309
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Only for you, phamilyman. This is the only pic I have, and there are two of them in it - the white one belongs to my son, the all-black is mine. Ignore the handlebar setup - they were raised for a long-ish ride the next day:
Woah! That's a beauty! Did you get the frame painted?

What model is it?

Quote:
NT- disagree on Conti there. Let's define best first.
Well opinions differ. As I said, I was quoting the general opinion out here. Two of the biggest and most popular shops (chains) in Chicago recommended the GatorSkin over anything else for puncture resistance. Anyway, since we are discussing rides, what's yours?

Last edited by ninjatalli : 18th February 2015 at 22:24.
Old 18th February 2015, 23:45   #2310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Woah! That's a beauty! Did you get the frame painted?

What model is it?
No, this is the alleged 'Limited Edition Matt Black'. Factory colour, not mine.

Both are CAAD10 - 3 (Ultegra)

Most Viewed