Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2008, 11:37   #61
Team-BHP Support

My first was a Tubo.

Then got myself a BSA SLR.
Had gears installed on the bike with a seven sprocket in the rear and a double in the front.
The front gear changer once made contact with the chain and got busted. Did not replace it as I used to use the larger wheel anyways.

The max speed done was when I took the cycle on top of Anna flyover and peddaled down like crazy. I have no idea what speed she did, but as I have mentioned in my introduction post on team-bhp, I was not expected to survive teenage.

I used to cycle from my home in Adyar to New College in under 20 mins.
Fastest ever was one early morning when I reached Marina from Adyar in under 13 mins.

Would regularly cycle about 20 kms in an hour. From Adyar till the Prathana Drive In on ECR.

Finally the bike broke. The front T joint gave way and I had it welded. Then the bottom joint gave way. I gave up the cycle.
Old 30th January 2008, 11:40   #62
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...2-bicycle.html
Old 30th January 2008, 12:08   #63
BHPian

I started off with a Hero.
I learnt cycling very late (when i was midway through in class IX )
I picked up quickly and got myself an Atlas "Macho".
Very rugged with nice broad tyres and used it for about 6 yrs as in my engineering college (residential) motorized vehicles were not allowed to students.

I had some of the best times on my bike and thanks to the powerful brakes i had very thrilling yet even near fatal moments.

I remember taking the "through jungle" route to the academical block from hostel( my college is HUGE covering around 800 acres) as it gave me offroading thrills.

I even used to service and tune the bike myself as the brakes were hardly set correct by the cycle mistris.
Old 30th January 2008, 17:23   #64
BHPian

I got my first bike at the age of 12. It was an old Atlas, dull red in colour, a girls' model without the bar in front. An associate of my father's had palmed it off on us. I hated it, since most of my friends had BSA SLRs, but consoled myself with the fact that I was lucky to get a cycle at all. Three years later I chose a brand new Hercules (black, full-size, milkman model) with all the silly trappings that adorned "roadsters" in the mid-eighties. I remember it cost around Rs 700. It served me well for seven years till I migrated full-time to a motorcycle. The Hercules is now lying in my parents home, 23 years later, and it's still used occasionally. I wish I could go back to cycling now, but it seems an exceedingly dangerous activity in Bombay traffic.
Old 18th February 2008, 19:09   #65
BHPian

I still ride bicycles only.
BTW, my first one was an ultima and the current one is a ranger dtb(18 gears)
Old 18th February 2008, 21:58   #66
Senior - BHPian

My first cycle was a Hero Jet which my father bought with really good intentions, fitted with ALL possible accessories (cushion seat cover, crossbar cover, handle grips with multicoloured streamers *YUK*, multicolor axle brushes, mud flaps, carrier, full stand, dynamo, headlamp, reflectors etc).

Within the space of a week all the extras disappeared one by one. In a month it had "race" handlebars and brakes converted to cable, lost the fenders and chain guard and the month after that I went on the 25 km annual cycle race (Dubar Hall Ground to Premier Tyres and back) with 3-speed gears on it. I finished 18th amongst about 100.

After I started earning I bought a Hero Ranger with 21 gears which would really clip.

Now I've put on too much weight to cycle around. Must try it again, but out here in Dubai its the easiest way to commit suicide.

Last edited by Steeroid : 18th February 2008 at 21:59.
Old 19th February 2008, 09:51   #67
Team-BHP Support

My first cycle was a Safari which looked similar to the BSA Champ but was heavier and slow! Then I was gifted a BSA Mach-1 which I used to cycle around half wheel style. I was in class 5 then and the Mach-1 was too big for me and was inherited from my brother.

One day we went to the St. Xaviers school to attend a cricket match where my brother was playing for their team. The team required a 6 runs of the last ball with my brother at crease. He hit a six and they won and he got gifted a BSA Mach-10 from a cycle shop in Dhobi Talao. The cycle had 10 gears and was an absolute light weight bike and had aluminum brakes back then. I inherited this in school when my brother got an RD 350 for himself. Sadly the cycle was stolen and I miss it even today.
Old 19th February 2008, 10:46   #68
F50
Senior - BHPian

I started with those scooters (2-wheels at the rear) in my KG days. Had 2-3 of them, used to drag them everyday with other scoot kids. Then learnt cycling when in I was in Class 3 or 4 and bought the BSA StreetCat (with flaps). Used a lot.
Then bought Flying Pigeon Race Cycle. Now this was fast and very light compared to StreetCat. Did Mahim to Dadar (Hindu Colony) in 7 mins flat that too stopping at signals.

Few days back, I inquired about cycles wanna buy just for a form of exercise. Confused between Mountain Bike and Race Cycle.
Old 19th February 2008, 10:56   #69
Senior - BHPian

The first bicycle I rode was my brothers Harley-Davidson cruiser....I mean a small 'Dasan' bicycle with a backrest.
Then I moved on to a BSA Mongoose and next came a Hercules Oversize 9000 which had become a fad during my school days.
Sweet memories....sigh.
Old 19th February 2008, 19:23   #70
Senior - BHPian

Started with BSA champ, then BSA SLR with mudguards removed and handle bar flipped (on a rainy day, there used to be a unique pattern on my clothes). Then moved to a BSA Mach 10 with gears, but kept the SLR.
Old 19th February 2008, 20:04   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Then moved to a BSA Mach 10 with gears, but kept the SLR.
Wow!! Another Mach-10 user. I was mad about that cycle and to add to it I used to watch "Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikander" every time to get an adrenaline rush to ride long distances on it .
Old 19th February 2008, 21:59   #72
Senior - BHPian

Yea dude, those were the days. My friend got the first gear cycle in school, a Pro-10. I wanted the Mach-10 but it wasn't even launched in B'lore. We got it from Madras by train. Mine was the first Mach-10 in Bangalore. For me, it was like buying a Ferrari.
Old 19th February 2008, 22:31   #73
BANNED

I'm one of those unlucky souls here who wasn't blessed with any 2 wheel stuff. After the usual stint with tricycles in my life, I was gifted a pedalled go-kart which was bought from a sports and toys shop @ infantry road in Bangalore.
I lived with it till I turned 9. It had an adjustable seat and it grew up with me till it couldn't take me any more. It was twice taken to Bangalore for fresh paint job and tires. It was given a wiring job later and was fitted with 2 headlamps and a horn which used to be powered by 4 1.5V torch batteries. The only problem I faced with it was that I couldn't take it on open roads. It used to be confined to our house compound and private road.

I used to envy other kids in my family and neighborhood because they had some good bicycles in their custody. They used to take it to the big ground in our town where we used to play football tournaments etc...
I reached 11 years old without a proper ride under my custody and then I learnt driving and was given an Omni as a daily drive. The only time I rode a 2 wheeler after that was when I had to get my driving license.

To sum it up; No Cycle, Only Limited BHP!
Old 19th February 2008, 23:08   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
I'm one of those unlucky souls here who wasn't blessed with any 2 wheel stuff........
I used to envy other kids in my family and neighborhood because they had some good bicycles in their custody......
I reached 11 years old without a proper ride under my custody .....
Oh boy! Many would feel that Zakkie here, had been subjected to a real hard, troubled child hood until, of course you get read the fine print that is!

Quote:
I reached 11 years and then ........ was given an Omni as a daily drive.
Old 18th March 2008, 01:03   #75
BHPian

I still ride cycles. We've 5 at home, and I commute to office regularly too with them. One of the main reasons for buying a car is to cart cycles to awesome venues of cycling. My search for a perfect car for such a thing continues

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks