Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2007, 12:44   #16
Senior - BHPian

My first cyle was a Raleigh with side wheels. After that I had a BMX which was a go anywhere bike..rugged and invincible.

The last bike I had was a Streetcat with those shocks and a 21 speed shimano gearbox. gave it away 5 years ago

Now I sometimes ride the Raleigh mountain bike which is in my office
Old 25th January 2007, 12:53   #17
Team-BHP Support

Started with a Avon BMX. The first BMX to be made in India. Rode that to the ground.
Moved onto a Skyway Street Beat freestyler. Just recently donated that to some kids who are not too well-off but are into serious freestyling.
Also got a Technium mountain bike, complete with a shimano 21 speed which I still have, but not used for a long time.
Old 25th January 2007, 13:02   #18
BHPian

Had a rugged MTB for some time and sold it since it was prone to punctures.Later,purchased a feather-light BSA "Photon" blue colour..which was really light you could carry it in one hand.Now it is with my cousin.
Old 25th January 2007, 13:18   #19
Team-BHP Support

Check out some cool custom bikes in this forgotten thread > http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...le-thread.html

cya
R
Old 25th January 2007, 16:00   #20
Senior - BHPian

Had a Bsa SLR way back when i was a kid, before that I had an Avon.
I only cycle in the gym in the spinning classes. I live cycling tough. Some time back i heard that acompany calle Fox or Firefox had started selling bikes in India and even saw their showroom in Delhi while passing by. I wanna know where to get one of these and which one to buy for how much. Im serious as cycling is the best exercise. I intend to carry it along in my car for my holidays and then just cycle at that destination.Guess it should be sleek, light(v v imp), reasonable and be capable of on as well as off road usage. Experts pl advise.
Old 25th January 2007, 16:12   #21
Senior - BHPian

I had a BSA SLR when i was kid. Mine was one of the first SLR those days and when i joined in a new school, i could hear murmurs like this guy has a BSA SLR. I used that for 5 years and then donated it.

Few years ago, after i upgraded to car i felt i am not using the CBZ and so replaced it with BSA Mach 1 with Shimano 18 gears kit. I rode it like hell for few months and thats it. I live in the heart of the city and scared to go out in the pollution. My friend in US gifted me a cycle computer. That works wonderfully once you calibrate it with your wheel diameter. It shows speed, distance, calories lost, time etc.
Old 25th January 2007, 16:14   #22
Senior - BHPian

My father had a hercules, made in england for a very very long time. came with the kerosene lamp in the front. had some terrific moments with this old timer. i used to cycle to a perfect rhythm of tadac tadac coming from the oil starved chain. in my mind i used to make the revving sound of a bus & make a firm push of the pedal to imitate a gear shift & pick up even more speed after that. wonderful times those.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 25th January 2007 at 16:16.
Old 26th January 2007, 02:05   #23
Senior - BHPian

I had a hercules MTB, and then a hero ranger. apart from a regular 22 inch atlas bought by my father when I was not old enough to ride

did my whole schooling and college on these, rarely borrowed my father's scooter for special occasions/needs. being a environmentalist/naturist (not in clothing sense), i prefered my cycle to bikes/scooter anyday.

V-16, xbhp.com has a whole section on that F..OX bikes.
Old 4th February 2007, 21:56   #24
Senior - BHPian

Which Bicycle?

This is an unusual non-automotive query on THE automotive forum.

I am planning (since last few years) to get a nice geared bicycle for myself for occasional commute. I am looking for comfortable geared ride with shock absorbers (3K <= budget <= 8K), which I can use in Pune city and nearby area. (Wondering if it can fit in my car's boot).

So which one to go for? Which brand? cost? What should I be watching out for? If you are from Pune, where to buy it from?

I suppose, geared cycle will be useful over ungeared one, but never used one. So, any practical difference between these two?

Last edited by aah78 : 13th June 2008 at 03:35. Reason: Thread merged with existing.
Old 4th February 2007, 23:32   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
This is an unusual non-automotive query on THE automotive forum.

I am planning (since last few years) to get a nice geared bicycle for myself for occasional commute. I am looking for comfortable geared ride with shock absorbers (3K <= budget <= 8K), which I can use in Pune city and nearby area. (Wondering if it can fit in my car's boot).

So which one to go for? Which brand? cost? What should I be watching out for? If you are from Pune, where to buy it from?

I suppose, geared cycle will be useful over ungeared one, but never used one. So, any practical difference between these two?
uhhmm not bought a cycle for a long time but when i was last inthe market for a cycle I tihnk Hero was on top. I think they had even launched a nice lightweight model with an alluminium frame.

A geared one over a non geared one will definitly make a diffeerence. I however feel that poeple often tend to go overboard with the gears. The last I checked 21 gears were the standard. I think you will be able to do with 12 unless you really plan to use it offroad and stuff.

As for the shock absorbers make sure you get them on the front fork. The ones for the rear wheel however tend to cause the chain to come off when you go over a rough patch. They might have worked on this on the newer cycles but this is what used to happen on the Ranger Swings.

Lastly what do you want to go in for. An On-Road or Off-ROad bicycle. The on-road one will definitly have more speed though you wont be able to carry stuff with you easily and going off road wont be that easy. The off road version will be more comfortable as it will be with shock absorbers and youll be able to handle rough patches a lot easier.
Old 4th February 2007, 23:41   #26
Senior - BHPian

@khanak, Thanks for your detailed reply! I am purchasing a cycle for the first time in my life. Last time, my father bought one for me when I was in school (and I am planning to buy one for my toddler on her next b'day).

There are 3 variations, 12, 15 and 21 gears. I think, 15 gear should be sufficient. (though I wonder how and when shall I use each gear). The one, I checked out today, was 15 gear with rear shocks (appeared like monoshocks of Unicorn).

I primarily plan to use it in Pune city and around. So definitely not looking for mountain bike.

OT: VP of one of our US clients is big fan of mountain bikes. His mountain bicycle costed him around $4000 only.
Old 4th February 2007, 23:51   #27
BHPian

you should check out the new hero dtb its a good cycle.
Old 4th February 2007, 23:54   #28
Senior - BHPian

No offence meant RX135, but given Pune's current traffic conditions, I would think twice before venturing out on a bicycle. I may sound like an old man, but I constantly worry about the kids from schools who ride to and fro on the busiest of roads. (Now I know how my parents might be feeling, I used ride along on Karve Road).
Old 5th February 2007, 01:41   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
No offence meant RX135, but given Pune's current traffic conditions, I would think twice before venturing out on a bicycle. I may sound like an old man, but I constantly worry about the kids from schools who ride to and fro on the busiest of roads. (Now I know how my parents might be feeling, I used ride along on Karve Road).
No. I do not plan to use it for my daily commute. It will be more for recreational + eco friendly + heath purposes.

While on topic, after spending almost 10 years in Pune, I have learnt to drive defensively, i.e. taking into account other's errors :(
Old 5th February 2007, 01:53   #30
elf
BANNED

Funny - both wifey & me were also planning to buy a pair of bikes. Raleigh is sold here in one of the malls (think it's HyperCity) & we were planning to check them out soon...

This is for recreation & excercise, before any of you smart alecs jump to the conclusion that the remaining cylinders on my Lancer have also failed.

Last edited by elf : 5th February 2007 at 01:56.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks