Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2017, 09:20   #5641
BHPian

Re: Thread for non-car topics in NA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I'm reasonably sure a thread created under Shifting Gears should be allowed for non-automotive discussions.

The following threads exist. You will most likely find more.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post3555376

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...tml#post929354
This is mostly about relocating overseas and there about's.

We need one for all other non-car issues/concerns/queries/topics of staying and living in north america. It's like a one stop for all other issues for members staying in NA.
Old 7th February 2017, 08:14   #5642
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Congrats! Looks wonderful.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
If i am not wrong, yours will be under manufacturer warranty (3 yrs/36k b2b and 5 yrs/60k powertrain) in which case, do you really need it from Carmax? Also, have you asked how much extended warranty will be from Ford itself? May turn out to be a better option.
Interesting point, didn't realize this, would Ford sell me additional warranty when I haven't bought a car from them? Wont it go against their CPO model?

Yes, I have atleast one year of the 3/36 warranty as mine has only done 2/18.
Old 8th February 2017, 01:23   #5643
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Interesting point, didn't realize this, would Ford sell me additional warranty when I haven't bought a car from them? Wont it go against their CPO model?

Yes, I have atleast one year of the 3/36 warranty as mine has only done 2/18.
I can't speak for how additional warranty works for Ford, but for Chevrolet, it doesn't matter where you bought the car from as long as it is inside factory warranty. I bought corvette from BMW dealership and got the GMPP from Chevrolet Dealer. I think the only condition is to get it before b2b warranty expires.

And you still have a year left, so you can leverage the existing factory warranty and when it comes close to expiration, get it extended from Ford dealer and that will give you time to hunt around for good price. You may be able to get it from out of state dealer too for less price.

A quick search gave me the below link for extended warranty.

https://owner.ford.com/maintenance/ford-protect.html

Hope this helps.
chevelle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 21:31   #5644
Senior - BHPian

Team, can you give me steps to transfer ownership of a car/motorcycle in USA to an individual? I have clear title with no lien. What steps/documents do I secure and follow?
Old 8th February 2017, 21:53   #5645
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Team, can you give me steps to transfer ownership of a car/motorcycle in USA to an individual? I have clear title with no lien. What steps/documents do I secure and follow?
If you have the title which looks something like this: (Differs from State to State)

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-20170208-11_17_23title-honda-civic.pdf-adobe-acrobat-reader-dc.jpg

Once you make the transaction; You need to sign the behind of the title which basically releases you from the title and other party needs to do the same; Sign on the lease. This title then the purchaser will submit when he registers the car at the town hall.

In addition, On a blank paper Write down the Said party's name your name and a letter which the Individual agrees that the car is being purchased on an As-is basis and any necessary inspection has been carried out by the purchaser. ( this is a backup just in case anything goes wrong and covers you)

Hope this helps! ( This is what I did)

Last edited by Fraz33r : 8th February 2017 at 21:54. Reason: Additional info
Fraz33r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 22:04   #5646
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
These are some general documents that you need. Check your state DMV website for any other specific documents - most DMV have detailed instructions for selling to an individual.
  • Get a (non-refundable) deposit from buyer if he/she says I'll come later, & give him or her a receipt signed by both of you for the same.
  • Once final price & transaction dates are decided by both of you, make up a Bill Of Sale (templates are available online) including basic information of buyer & seller (name, address, telephone number), & vehicle (make, model, VIN number), & sold price. Make sure it includes a line saying "sold as-is", to avoid any future issues.
  • On day of delivery, the back-side of your Title is to be filled out, signed & dated by seller & buyer.
  • The registration document filled out & signed for Transfer Of Ownership. This depends on the Model Year of the car/motorcycle.
  • Don't forget to take your plates off & return to the DMV or keep them (if your state allows), & cancel your insurance.
  • If you deliver the car to the seller, then fill out the Title & registration documents, take your plates off & cancel insurance at that time. Don't let the seller drive off on your plates - because then you might still be held responsible for any mishaps.
That's pretty much it.

Last edited by aah78 : 8th February 2017 at 22:06.
aah78 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 22:27   #5647
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
These are some general documents that you need.
That's pretty much it.
That is an excellent and comprehensive list.
I also wonder if the OP was asking about transferring the title after he paid off his auto loan. The original title holder may have been the lender. Anyone know how that is to be done? Just obtain paperwork that the loan is paid off and they are ok with transferring the title to you along with the original title from the lender and submit to the DMV? If someone has done this, I'd love to see such a list.

On a different note, 2016 Hellcats are selling at 10 - 12k below MSRP - saw this today. Jalopnik - screaming deal on 707 HP hellcaaats. Wonder if there is anyone in our group who will buy one of these. Of course with the SRT Demon coming this year, Hellcat has become a lesser child all of a sudden.
Old 8th February 2017, 22:44   #5648
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
I also wonder if the OP was asking about transferring the title after he paid off his auto loan. The original title holder may have been the lender. Anyone know how that is to be done? Just obtain paperwork that the loan is paid off and they are ok with transferring the title to you along with the original title from the lender and submit to the DMV? If someone has done this, I'd love to see such a list.
No man, you're not going to get a loan from an individual.

Your loan will come from a lending company (bank or credit union). They hold the lien until you pay-off the loan.

Once you've paid off the loan, the lending company will give you a letter saying so.

Now you have two ways to go about it if you want to sell the car/motorcycle:
  1. Sell the car/motorcycle with the current Title & the original letter stating that the loan has been paid off.
  2. OR, apply for a new Title in your name by showing the DMV the letter saying that the loan has been paid off, and then sell the car/motorcycle.
A new Title usually takes a couple of weeks to arrive, so if you're in a rush, then point 1 will be better option.
Old 8th February 2017, 22:47   #5649
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No man, you're not going to get a loan from an individual.
I think I confused you there. I'm only talking about a situation where you have a loan on your car/motorcycle with a bank. You paid it off. The logical next step is for you to get a title for your vehicle. The steps for that is what I was wondering about.
Old 9th February 2017, 01:33   #5650
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the info.

On insurance, I just learned that AAA is offering a discount for holding Masters Degree. You have to ask. They don't disclose in most cases.
Old 9th February 2017, 13:27   #5651
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
I think I confused you there. I'm only talking about a situation where you have a loan on your car/motorcycle with a bank. You paid it off. The logical next step is for you to get a title for your vehicle. The steps for that is what I was wondering about.
In my case when I closed loan with TFS(Toyota Financials), they informed the DMV and I received the title from DMV around 4 weeks later(could be sooner in other states).

So there was no checklist as such, I called TFS and job was done.
Old 11th February 2017, 23:28   #5652
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
These are some general documents that you need. Check your state DMV website for any other specific documents - most DMV have detailed instructions for selling to an individual.
  • Get a (non-refundable) deposit from buyer if he/she says I'll come later, & give him or her a receipt signed by both of you for the same.
  • Once final price & transaction dates are decided by both of you, make up a Bill Of Sale (templates are available online) including basic information of buyer & seller (name, address, telephone number), & vehicle (make, model, VIN number), & sold price. Make sure it includes a line saying "sold as-is", to avoid any future issues.
  • On day of delivery, the back-side of your Title is to be filled out, signed & dated by seller & buyer.
  • The registration document filled out & signed for Transfer Of Ownership. This depends on the Model Year of the car/motorcycle.
  • Don't forget to take your plates off & return to the DMV or keep them (if your state allows), & cancel your insurance.
  • If you deliver the car to the seller, then fill out the Title & registration documents, take your plates off & cancel insurance at that time. Don't let the seller drive off on your plates - because then you might still be held responsible for any mishaps.
That's pretty much it.
These are great pointers; thanks for sharing these.

A quick follow-up question; does the situation change if I'm selling my car (with no lien, title in my name) in a different state than where it is registered?
Old 13th February 2017, 01:17   #5653
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post

A quick follow-up question; does the situation change if I'm selling my car (with no lien, title in my name) in a different state than where it is registered?
You or the buyer pretty much have to do the transfer of registration when the paperwork is done at the DMV. That's my guess for this situation.

Anybody here going to the Chicago Auto Show?
Old 13th February 2017, 02:59   #5654
Distinguished - BHPian

Just to add one more detail about transferring a car’s registration. If you live in another state then the seller you might need to get a vehicle examination certificate before you can go to the DMV.

At least that was the procedure in Kansas. I bought my Jaguar in North Carolina and at the time we lived in Kansas. I needed to take my car to the Kansas Highway Patrol. All they did was verify the VIN, fill out a form to that effect and off I went to the DMV.

Later we moved from Kansas to Missouri. I can’t quite remember, but I think I just went to the DMV, re-registered it and got Missouri plates. Nothing else.

Best check and or call with the respective state DMV to make sure. The one thing you do not want is to show up with the incorrect paperwork at the DMV. Not sure how it is these days, but the DMV used to be absolutely loathed by all.

These are the guys that give bureaucracy a whole new meaning. Maybe these days you can do more and more on line. Last time in Kansas City, MO, the DMV implemented a new computer system, you still could not do anything online and for the first few months waiting times at the DMV office were 4-8 hours!

Enjoy!

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2017, 17:23   #5655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post

I think most of the DMV sites say you should register the car in the state by 14days. So if you are living in another state with different plates, then its the owner who has to transfer the plates before selling.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks