Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2017, 20:21   #5731
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Congrats Suchin, thats a gorgeous looker. Can i ask what was the pricing on these?
Maddy
Thanks! Model year 2012-2013s G37x without Navigation go for $20-$22k, make it around $24K for Navigation and Certification. Most examples typically have 30-40K miles. Mine has just 18K miles on it and I got a great deal.
Interesting thing is the Q40 -which is a renamed G37 with some features removed,(Was sold just for 2014 & 2015) is selling at lower prices than G37's. I guess people don't know it even exists and are not searching for it.

Here's one in Kansas city for with just 8000 miles at a killer deal of $22,999:
http://www.hendrickacuraoverlandpark...CV6ARXFM522430

Last edited by VPSuchin : 21st April 2017 at 20:23.
VPSuchin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2017, 22:32   #5732
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadee View Post
I ended up getting a Mazda CX9 that has a lot more comfy 3rd row seats with cup holders and what not. There is also space for my large labrador retriever behind the 3rd row seat. Not that I would ever do that. We usually fold half of the 3rd row seat so that the dog gets to interact with the 3rd row seat occupant.

I did not like the Highlander as it has crappy 2nd row middle seat.

The Pilot is an awesome contender. Same deal with Santa Fe. Sorrento was too buzzy, noisy engine. With 7 people seated, it struggled the most on freeway ramps.
Did you get the CX-9 with the 2.5 turbo? I've read that the torque low down in that motor is great for urban driveability.

Surprised that you say that the Sorrento was too buzzy and struggled - reason being the powertrain in the Sorrento and Santa Fe are the same - unless we are talking different model years or the base 2.4 engine in the Sorrento,

We have occasional use of the third row - very happy with the Highlander for now. I barely ever sit in the second row, and no one has ever complained about the 2nd row middle seat. I think it maybe too flat.
Old 21st April 2017, 22:55   #5733
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPSuchin View Post
Thanks! Model year 2012-2013s G37x without Navigation go for $20-$22k, make it around $24K for Navigation and Certification. Most examples typically have 30-40K miles. Mine has just 18K miles on it and I got a great deal.
Interesting thing is the Q40 -which is a renamed G37 with some features removed,(Was sold just for 2014 & 2015) is selling at lower prices than G37's. I guess people don't know it even exists and are not searching for it.

Here's one in Kansas city for with just 8000 miles at a killer deal of $22,999:
http://www.hendrickacuraoverlandpark...CV6ARXFM522430
Thanks, can i ask how you search for such deals? Secret sauce or recipe?

Maddy
Old 21st April 2017, 23:17   #5734
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Did you get the CX-9 with the 2.5 turbo? I've read that the torque low down in that motor is great for urban driveability.

Surprised that you say that the Sorrento was too buzzy and struggled - reason being the powertrain in the Sorrento and Santa Fe are the same - unless we are talking different model years or the base 2.4 engine in the Sorrento,

We have occasional use of the third row - very happy with the Highlander for now. I barely ever sit in the second row, and no one has ever complained about the 2nd row middle seat. I think it maybe too flat.
I have the CX-9 with a 3.7L V6.

My wife drove the Sorrento, the sales guy was in the passenger seat. I sat in the 2nd row with the kids. I could feel the buzz through the seats, and felt it was much more noisy. It was the 2.4 engine.

Toyota has made a great vehicle in Highlander. Before the CX-9 I had a 4Runner for 10 years. It was as solid as a rock. Enjoy!
Old 22nd April 2017, 00:21   #5735
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Thanks, can i ask how you search for such deals? Secret sauce or recipe?

Maddy
Set up saved searches with email alerts (important!) on multiple sites-Autotrader, Cars.com, Cargurus etc. and don't restrict yourself to your local area. I was looking at cars up to 250 miles away.
Also, don't rely too much on the filters in these sites. For example I didn't filter by "with Navigation" or "AWD", I rather look at the pictures or decode the VIN to see if it has the features. Narrowing down the requirements too much will make you miss out on some cars that are incorrectly listed.

Listings on Carmax do not show up in these sites sometimes so it's better to check their website directly.

Also look at VROOM.com . They are an online no-haggle dealership based in Dallas. Free shipping with 7 day free return. They also buy your car and beat Carmax quotes. Great reviews.They have some great low mileage cars if you are comfortable with buying cars unseen.
VPSuchin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2017, 01:44   #5736
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Also look at VROOM.com .
Great!
Another productivity black hole for me
amitoj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2017, 07:53   #5737
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Great!
Another productivity black hole for me
I've ignored their facebook ads forever. I clicked today, thanks to this post that you quoted. Dang.
Old 24th April 2017, 09:37   #5738
Senior - BHPian

I'm shifting base from Finland to Troy, MI. Used to live in US 6 yrs ago down in Atlanta but then, much of what I learnt in buying cars is lost in memory or unlearned while in Europe. . In fact I'd bought my car on craigslist.

Came here looking for advice on searching and wasn't disappointed. there is a lot already. Will go through.

One question remains though - Rust. I presume cars in Northern states/Mid-west have rust issues due to road salt. Am I right? is it true that folks from here seek cars from southern states?

About choices - I currently drive a CR-V and my first instinct is to look for the same in US too. Yet to explore beyond. Any advice? I have a toddler and therefore space and practicality is a must. I totally love a Lexus NX but then, it has space and practicality issues.

Last edited by 14000rpm : 24th April 2017 at 09:40.
Old 24th April 2017, 16:33   #5739
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
I'm shifting base from Finland to Troy, MI. Used to live in US 6 yrs ago down in Atlanta but then, much of what I learnt in buying cars is lost in memory or unlearned while in Europe. . In fact I'd bought my car on craigslist.

Came here looking for advice on searching and wasn't disappointed. there is a lot already. Will go through.

One question remains though - Rust. I presume cars in Northern states/Mid-west have rust issues due to road salt. Am I right? is it true that folks from here seek cars from southern states?

About choices - I currently drive a CR-V and my first instinct is to look for the same in US too. Yet to explore beyond. Any advice? I have a toddler and therefore space and practicality is a must. I totally love a Lexus NX but then, it has space and practicality issues.
Welcome back state side. Rust is a factor, but that doesn't really mean that you have to get a car from the southern states. I have a car that has seen 10 years of Midwestern winters and I see no rust. I suppose something that is kept well will have little or no rust.

CR-V is still a solid choice for a car for a family. In fact, the new one has a great turbo motor and the interiors and safety kit are also amazing. You cannot go wrong with that car. You wait a little bit more and a new CR-V hybrid is on its way. In that size of car, there are a lot of choices. Look around, do your comparison shopping, test drive them, try the child seat. Top sellers are the CR-V, Rogue, RAV4 trio, I suppose. If you want something nicer, the RDX from Acura is a great value. Something fun would immediately mean the Mazda CX-5 - but not a whole lot of power. American brands have pretty good options too but may not have the reliability cachet of the Japanese. But just like the Koreans, they will offer good value.
Old 24th April 2017, 20:02   #5740
BHPian

Quote:
With Michigan winters, I am assuming you are looking for something with AWDThe current CR-V with the AWD and Turbo 1.5 (EX trims and above)has been getting some really good reviews. Looks like they have drastically improved the looks and quality of materials in addition to driving dynamics. You cannot go wrong with a CR-V.

I would ask you to test drive the Subaru Forester. It's spacious, practical, reliable, very safe, has great resale value and has a fantastic AWD system. Go for the 2.0 Turbo with 250HP if you need more performance.
It has a CVT but so do many modern cars,and if you hate CVTs it restricts your choices. The interiors have been improving steadily but won't match a Mazda CX-5 etc. but I would highly recommend it.
It's rated very high by Consumer Reports and many many other publications. 2.5i CVT starts at $23,595. 26 mpg city / 32 highway
Definitely check it out!
Old 24th April 2017, 21:38   #5741
BHPian

Quote:
I'm shifting base from Finland to Troy, MI.
I live in Troy. Let me know if You need some help in checking out apartments etc.

Quote:
Few things about MI ( Michigan).

This place has the most crazy auto insurance ever. I had a relative from Church who recently immigrated from India. He had no driving history in the US and no prior US insurance. Despite being 56, He was quoted $1600 for 6 month for a 2007 Camry. So, If I were you, I would start looking at insurance before cars.

Imported cars ( Jap, Korean , Euro) are only popular among Immigrant communities. And absolutely for no reason,all cars are more expensive in Michigan than neighbouring states. Given the rarity of Imports and high prices of cars, you'll spend a premium to buy cars in Michigan. CRV/RAV 4 is one of the hottest selling cars among Immigrants, so chose your car Wisely, Persian!!!

Keep in mind that Troy is the next city to Bloomfield hills where almost all CEO's and rich people of the state live. It is very common to see Bentleys On your commute in the area.
Interesting fact about Troy, David Tracy lives in Troy & an Ex- Chrysler engineer. You could follow his path and get a $500 Jeep.
http://jalopnik.com/search?q=David+tracy

Jokes apart,
Take a day trip to Chicago and I would suggest buying from there. Lots of used cars around. But do check on insurance.

Last edited by Jomz : 24th April 2017 at 21:49.
Jomz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2017, 00:41   #5742
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
Jokes apart,
Take a day trip to Chicago and I would suggest buying from there. Lots of used cars around. But do check on insurance.
Or, buy online - like some wise men in this group have done.

So are domestics a lot more inexpensive in MI with even more deals on offer or something?
Old 25th April 2017, 09:25   #5743
Senior - BHPian

guys, sincerely appreciate the quick replies.

Quote:
Welcome back state side. Rust is a factor, but that doesn't really mean that you have to get a car from the southern states. I have a car that has seen 10 years of Midwestern winters and I see no rust. I suppose something that is kept well will have little or no rust.
got it. anyways I am looking for cars from 2013 up.

Quote:
CR-V is still a solid choice for a car for a family. In fact, the new one has a great turbo motor and the interiors and safety kit are also amazing. You cannot go wrong with that car. You wait a little bit more and a new CR-V hybrid is on its way.
Yes. the 2018 model is indeed looking more appealing. however, it is highly unlikely that I'll buy a brand new car. Much rather buy it after it has depreciated.

Quote:
In that size of car, there are a lot of choices. Look around, do your comparison shopping, test drive them, try the child seat. Top sellers are the CR-V, Rogue, RAV4 trio, I suppose. If you want something nicer, the RDX from Acura is a great value. Something fun would immediately mean the Mazda CX-5 - but not a whole lot of power. American brands have pretty good options too but may not have the reliability cachet of the Japanese. But just like the Koreans, they will offer good value.
Thanks. will keep looking at all very closely. In fact a Toyota Highlander too is in my radar coz I like it as is a Mini Countryman since my wife like it.

Quote:
With Michigan winters, I am assuming you are looking for something with AWDThe current CR-V with the AWD and Turbo 1.5 (EX trims and above)has been getting some really good reviews. Looks like they have drastically improved the looks and quality of materials in addition to driving dynamics. You cannot go wrong with a CR-V.
yes. AWD for sure.whichever car I pick.

Quote:
I would ask you to test drive the Subaru Forester. It's spacious, practical, reliable, very safe, has great resale value and has a fantastic AWD system. Go for the 2.0 Turbo with 250HP if you need more performance.
Good one. I have a soft corner for Subaru's but they'd been out of mind for a while. The Forester definitely comes up on my list.

Quote:
It has a CVT but so do many modern cars,and if you hate CVTs it restricts your choices. The interiors have been improving steadily but won't match a Mazda CX-5 etc. but I would highly recommend it.
It's rated very high by Consumer Reports and many many other publications. 2.5i CVT starts at $23,595. 26 mpg city / 32 highway
Definitely check it out!

Honestly I've been driving only Manual shift since last 6 yrs with occasional auto-boxes on rentals. will have to drive a CVT to know whether or not it would be likeable.

Quote:
I live in Troy. Let me know if You need some help in checking out apartments etc.
Thanks Jomz. you have already shared your contact and I will certainly tug on you for assistance. much appreciated.

Quote:
Few things about MI ( Michigan).

This place has the most crazy auto insurance ever. I had a relative from Church who recently immigrated from India. He had no driving history in the US and no prior US insurance. Despite being 56, He was quoted $1600 for 6 month for a 2007 Camry. So, If I were you, I would start looking at insurance before cars.
oops. didn't know this. so the sticker price on a car is half the cost now.

Quote:
Imported cars ( Jap, Korean , Euro) are only popular among Immigrant communities. And absolutely for no reason,all cars are more expensive in Michigan than neighbouring states. Given the rarity of Imports and high prices of cars, you'll spend a premium to buy cars in Michigan. CRV/RAV 4 is one of the hottest selling cars among Immigrants, so chose your car Wisely, Persian!!!
Actually, rare entries to my list are the American Ford Edge and the Swedish Volvo XC60.

Quote:
Interesting fact about Troy, David Tracy lives in Troy & an Ex- Chrysler engineer. You could follow his path and get a $500 Jeep.
http://jalopnik.com/search?q=David+tracy
Interesting indeed. do you bump into him? I do read his post in Jalopnik.

Quote:
Jokes apart,
noted. but how does insurance from Chicago help in Michigan? does it work that way?

Quote:
Or, buy online - like some wise men in this group have done.

So are domestics a lot more inexpensive in MI with even more deals on offer or something?
how has online buying picked up? not the best to buy a car in my opinion. it's not a washing machine.

Will keep you all updated on my progress in hunting.
Old 25th April 2017, 20:49   #5744
BHPian

Quote:

Not really, A POS 2000's Chrysler Sebring In Michigan is Priced similar to 2000's Camry's in Chicago.

2000's Camry's are priced higher than a Sebring , so it is a vicious loop.

Long story short, cars in MI are atleast 10-15% priced than IN, IL, OH

Quote:

Interesting indeed. do you bump into him? I do read his post in Jalopnik.
We've exchanged mails and I was about to go and wrench on his Willy's. But something else came up. I'll go and wrench on his next project

Quote:

noted. but how does insurance from Chicago help in Michigan? does it work that way?

Well, I meant much cheaper and varied selection of used cars. But if you want to beat MI insurance, try living in OH.
OH has one of the cheapest insurance in the country.

If you live in OH ( Toldeo is just 1.5 hours away ) or if you have an OH address to register the car to, you could use the much cheaper OH insurance.

Quote:

how has online buying picked up? not the best to buy a car in my opinion. it's not a washing machine.

I bought a new WRX Sti Online and had it delivered to my house. Other than the car was dirty when delivered, I don't have any complaints. I saved almost 4000 than buying locally. And I could custom order what I wanted.

Last edited by Jomz : 25th April 2017 at 20:58.
Old 26th April 2017, 04:32   #5745
BHPian

Quote:
Overall, the older BMW's classic connected driving feel , brilliant steering and smooth engine that were it's main plus points. The newer BMW 328i's are quieter, have more tech features and the base engine is pretty quick though noisy, but the old driving dynamics are gone.

Reliability, Power, Value for money are the G's selling points. The other car I was considering was the Acura TL SH-AWD but the Infiniti was cheaper,faster and handled better.
No hard feelings, but seriously, I always wondered why folks that care about 'driving dynamics' and 'steering feel' and whatever else drive autos....it's like you're desperate to look like a car guy but really can't be bothered to shift a stick.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks