Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2017, 21:58   #5656
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

I think even i have one more question when the car is on the lien

Say:

Car A is on Lien with Bank A with 15K pending to complete the Loan, How do i go dealing with the Bank A if I buy another car B and deal with a different Bank B?

I believe the Bank A needs to be reimbursed the 15K, does this tack on the new loan i would have with the Car B? Who handles all this, we as the buyer or the Bank B does it for us ?
Old 16th February 2017, 03:31   #5657

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraz33r View Post
I think even i have one more question when the car is on the lien
Generally speaking, your bank should be able to handle all kind of situations for you since they need your business. They do this all day for buying/selling between dealers, private party and auctions.

You did not say if you are selling or keeping Car A.
If you are selling, yes Bank A needs their 15K back before you sell Car A. You can either pay yourself or Bank B can refinance it for you plus any additional amount that you are approved for towards Car B.

If you are keeping Car A, then it does not matter, you will be approved for Car B based on your credit aproval from Bank B. I would suggest the best way is to pick up the phone and call your financial institution.

I sold my car last year to a private party and bought a used Car from dealer.

- Since mine was a paper title it had to be mailed, so I paid to DCU from by bank account and closed the loan. I also applied for loan on second vehicle and they mailed the title and the check to me in two days for $15(standard shipping is free).

- Went to DMV with the buyer, signed and handed over the title after receiving check from him

- Handed over the DCU check to the dealer and after completing all formalities was out in 1hr with my new(used) car

P.S. Electronic titles lien notifications are transferred electronically so you dont have to wait for paper title to be mailed to you.As soon as DMV punches your car details on their system they will know if bank holds the title or not.
navtiwari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2017, 09:48   #5658
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
I think most of the DMV sites say you should register the car in the state by 14days. So if you are living in another state with different plates, then its the owner who has to transfer the plates before selling.
Don't think so. NC allowed me 90 days time; I actually didn't do it for over 4 months after I moved there. Didn't face any issues.

As for current situation, am not aware of the conditions at NY.
Old 16th February 2017, 15:40   #5659
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Don't think so. NC allowed me 90 days time; I actually didn't do it for over 4 months after I moved there. Didn't face any issues.

As for current situation, am not aware of the conditions at NY.
True, its very state dependent. In CA one has to register or de-register within 10days of moving.
Old 17th February 2017, 17:36   #5660
BHPian

Hi All, I will be shifting to Chicago by end of next month end. Hopefully there will not be any issues during my visa stamping. My family will be shifting few months later. Meanwhile I will get the driving license and raise fund for a decent pre worshiped car. After going through the threads and suggestions from friends, the cars which are good in terms of cheaper maintenance and resale value are Civic and Corolla. I do have some questions to those stay in same area.
1) Does the American brands are costly to maintain and fetch lesser resale value compared to Japanese brands?
2) Other than Honda and Toyota what are the common Japanese brands there?
3) What are the points to be considered while going for a used one? How to identify cars which are affected by flood?
4) Procedure for ownership transfer?
5) How easy to get used to the left-hand drive. Any suggestion for a good driving school for Indian drivers
Old 17th February 2017, 21:00   #5661
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil_klm View Post
1) Does the American brands are costly to maintain and fetch lesser resale value compared to Japanese brands?
2) Other than Honda and Toyota what are the common Japanese brands there?
3) What are the points to be considered while going for a used one? How to identify cars which are affected by flood?
4) Procedure for ownership transfer?
5) How easy to get used to the left-hand drive. Any suggestion for a good driving school for Indian drivers
Welcome to Chicagoland.
1) American brands may be more or less the same cost of maintenance - I seriously doubt if individual services are a lot more expensive. However, you may have more issues than a comparable Japanese car. Resale value is definitely lower - which also means you can pick used American cars with more features at a lower price than Japanese cars.
2) Well, Chicagoland - you would definitely like to consider Subarus. Apart from that Mazdas are fun cars and Nissans are less expensive than Toyota and Honda.
3) Carfax reporting usually captures flood damage etc. and the title's of the cars also reflect it. However unscrupulous dealers definitely can cover up things if they like. You could definitely pick up used cars from friends and family if you trust them enough. Most new car dealers and large networks like Carmax also have significant pre-owned car businesses. They can sell you cars with added warranty which should be a great peace of mind if you are worried about long-term reliability and cost of ownership.
4) This is super easy. If you are buying from dealers, they usually take care of it all. If you are buying from an individual - read up a few messages from the last week - this was discussed on this thread.
5) Getting used to left hand drive it totally depends from person to person. Depending on what part of Chicago you are at, you can definitely find people who can help you learn to drive at a driving school. Remember it is a very large metro area . I have usually found driving schools to be very expensive. You might only want a handful of classes if you do plan to do that.

Good luck with your move. I live in the Chicago suburbs, feel free to message me if you have any other questions.
vineethvazhayil is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2017, 23:25   #5662
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

As stated there are some reports that give a fair impression on big accident damage and flood. The most important thing to remember when buying second hand: you are in the USA, the car walhalla! Never, ever buy anything you don't feel hundred percent comfortable with. There are hundreds if not thousands of cars out there in whatever price range you are looking for. And that's just in your neighborhood.
Enjoy

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2017, 23:27   #5663
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All, I will be shifting to Chicago by end of next month end. Hopefully there will not be any issues during my visa stamping. My family will be shifting few months later. Meanwhile I will get the driving license and raise fund for a decent pre worshiped car. After going through the threads and suggestions from friends, the cars which are good in terms of cheaper maintenance and resale value are Civic and Corolla. I do have some questions to those stay in same area.
Welcome to America! Civic and Corolla have good resale value and are relatively easy to maintain if you are a DIY guy-especially for Toyotas. Dealers have a reputation for ripping off customers even for small problems, same goes true for multi-brand chain service stations.

1. American and German, especially VAG fetch much less resale value than Toyota, Honda & Nissan, which means you can buy a decent Ford for cheap. You can look at post-2012 Ford Focus and Fusion. They will come for the same price as pre-2010 Corolla and Camry.

2. Nissan, Subaru and Mitsubishi are other Jap brands you can find.

3. Try to buy cars from a reputed dealer - Toyota and Nissan dealers sell a lot of fleet/rental cars with a warranty. If you are buying through Craigslist, get the Carfax report - its worth it! If possible, get it checked by a mechanic, they usually charge an hour's labor to give their opinion.

4. If buying from a dealer, he will get the paperwork for you. If buying from an individual, you have to go to the DMV or tax collector's office with the 'Title' and 'Bill-of-sale'. It's a 10-minute procedure in most states.

5. It will take a day or max two to get used to left-hand drive. Automatics make it even easier because you don't have to worry about shifting gears and using clutch while braking.

Note from Support: Post fixed for readability.
rachitagarwal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2017, 03:50   #5664
Senior - BHPian

I have been renting a car here in California over the weekends and I facing an issue that has stumped me. Every time i try to refuel at the gas station and I insert the card, it prompts me for a zip code. Obviously, my India CC does not have one, and I try all sorts of combination of our pincode and house numbers and eventually fails. I then have to go to the attendant and then inform him of my situation, swipe the card and then come back and get a refund on the remaining amount. It has become a hassle. I have both HDFC and SBI cards and an AXIS bank multicurrency forex card.

What zip code do I enter when using an Indian CC?
Old 18th February 2017, 04:29   #5665

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
What zip code do I enter when using an Indian CC?
Some people have tried 00000 and 12345 and say it works but I would not recommend this as it might indicate a thief with your credit card trying to steal.
Since Indian post code is six digits and US zip code is 5 digits, try removing extra digit from the end.

Call AXIS bank and discuss the issue, I believe they already have a setup in place with a dummy zip, you just need to ask. Make sure you have sufficient balance on your forex card, usually they put a hold on $70-$80 when you swipe at a gas station.
Old 18th February 2017, 04:31   #5666
BANNED

Quote:
I will be shifting to Chicago by end of next month end ............
You would need to prepare for the DMV written test and drive test. Before you do the drive test, I would recommend taking one lesson. The driving teachers usually take you to the street where the DMV inspectors take student drivers. Get used to the real test environment.

Off topic trivia: Just like left hand drive craziness, in American English we move between cities, and not shift. Lots of crazy differences that adds spice to life.

Last edited by prasadee : 18th February 2017 at 04:34.
prasadee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2017, 21:34   #5667
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
I can't speak for how additional warranty works for Ford, but for Chevrolet, it doesn't matter where you bought the car from as long as it is inside factory warranty. I bought corvette from BMW dealership and got the GMPP from Chevrolet Dealer. I think the only condition is to get it before b2b warranty expires.

And you still have a year left, so you can leverage the existing factory warranty and when it comes close to expiration, get it extended from Ford dealer and that will give you time to hunt around for good price. You may be able to get it from out of state dealer too for less price.

A quick search gave me the below link for extended warranty.

https://owner.ford.com/maintenance/ford-protect.html

Hope this helps.
Thanks, this is definitely helpful, will check
Old 23rd March 2017, 07:35   #5668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Just picked this 2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Nice car and nice color. Congrats.
sabret00the is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2017, 18:49   #5669
BHPian

Could somebody provide some tips on how buying a car works in an out of state situation with a trade-in, using your own financing? I have only bought cars locally so going getting paperwork and going back to the dealership multiple times was not an issue.

Here's the scenario-
* Assume I am in Utah and I want to buy Car B in Colorado 3.5 hours away. I have Car A to trade in. Car B is listed at $25000.
* I get a pre-approval from my bank for 25K but since the final sale price is not known, they wont give a check- also because I have a trade in.
* So I can only go on a Saturday (bank is closed). I negotiate 24K for car B and my trade in Car A is valued at 4K. So final loan will be for 24-4 which is 20K.
* Now the bank is closed on Saturday, how does the process work? Can the dealer fax the documents to the bank and will they send a check in the mail? Can I sign documents and drive off Car B or do I have to wait till they get the check for 20K?

Both the dealer and bank are closed on Sunday so I cannot drive back the next day to deliver a check as well. Or,would I have to take a day off the next week to come and give the final check?

Of course none of this is applicable if I take the dealer financing but I am doubtful they would beat DCU's rates so I would like to get some gyan on the process.

Last edited by VPSuchin : 26th March 2017 at 18:51.
Old 27th March 2017, 13:35   #5670
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPSuchin View Post
* I get a pre-approval from my bank for 25K but since the final sale price is not known, they wont give a check- also because I have a trade in.
DCU usually sends a check for the pre-approved amount. You have to fill in the exact amount at the dealership while purchasing with the exact amount which will become your "loan amount".
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks