Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2017, 05:31   #5701
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post
Wont the liability insurance cover the 'not-at-fault' party for damages sustained to their vehicle? Or is that what the 'no-fault' state is all about? Who would buy liability insurance in a no-fault state then considering everyone is on hook for their own damages irrespective of who caused them. Boy, insurance here is a real nightmare!
It's a little complicated but in short the liability insurance will help if involved in a serious accident involving bodily injury. I think in this case the not at fault party can go after the at fault party to cover the bodily injury expense given the injury is really bad in most cases impairment.

I was rear ended when I lived in IL couple years ago and my car was totaled. Lucky I was not in a no fault state. I ended up getting more money than I paid for my car but I could never find a similar car again :-(
navin_bhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2017, 11:46   #5702
Distinguished - BHPian

The Michigan no fault insurance is unique to Michigan I think.

Michigan law requires you to have no-fault automobile insurance on your car. If you have an accident, this required insurance pays for injuries to people and for damages your car does to other people's property and to properly parked cars. IT DOES NOT PAY FOR ANY OTHER DAMAGE TO CARS

To put it simply, the term “no-fault” means that both parties involved in a car accident or truck accident are entitled to benefits from their insurance companies, no matter who caused the accident.

For those of us whom are used to typical third party insurance, it’s a bit of an alien concept.

A brief explanation:

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/c...02_25083_7.pdf

Jeroen
Old 12th April 2017, 16:20   #5703
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
The Michigan no fault insurance is unique to Michigan I think.
no

Quite a few no fault states, including NJ & NY. Indian insurance also acts like no fault, since it is your insurance which pays in India.

http://www.all-about-car-accidents.c...fault-car-insu
http://www.iii.org/issue-update/no-fault-auto-insurance

Last edited by Jomz : 12th April 2017 at 16:22.
Old 12th April 2017, 20:42   #5704
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
no

Quite a few no fault states, including NJ & NY. Indian insurance also acts like no fault, since it is your insurance which pays in India.

rl]

Correct, there are various no fault states. However, the Michigan one is set up in a somewhat specific way and is therefor specific and unique to Michigan. Truth be told, that is probably true for the other states. They pass a state bill stipulated the details of said no fault insurance.

You would really need to compare them side by side to see the variances. What is covered, for how much etc.

Jeroen
Old 13th April 2017, 00:26   #5705
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Correct, there are various no fault states. However, the Michigan one is set up in a somewhat specific way .......
The no - fault part is comparable to other states. I actually like the no -fault part because if I'm in a crash and I'm not at fault, I don't need to worry whether the other guy has insurance to pay for my damages. My insurance takes care of my car & it is illegal to increase insurance rates for a no fault accident.

What is unique about Michigan is the unlimited medical coverage required. There are cases where the insurance company keeps paying for years because there is no upper ceiling on how much the insurance company has to pay out in case of an injury. The doctors know that and keep treating accident victims and send the bills to insurance.

http://dearbornagency.com/insurance/...ance-went-can/

That is why Michigan insurance is more expensive than anything else, but it comes with a lot more peace of mind.
Old 13th April 2017, 22:46   #5706
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalajprakash View Post
Can you possibly share his down payment, trim level, additional service packages, the time period of the lease and the number of miles he's allowed to drive per year?
Got details of a lease closed by a friend yesterday, this time in Oregon. The X1 was in CT. So the deal this time is for an Accord Hybrid base (about 30k MSRP). 3 year 36k mile lease, 2000 down monthly 318$ + taxes. Price at lease end is about 16.5k. I do think Honda has some generous offers on the base Accord Hybrid.
Old 14th April 2017, 11:19   #5707
Team-BHP Support

Is it a good idea to wait for 4th of July timeframe due to extra discounts and stuff. I was thinking of picking up in first week of June, but am okay to delay.
Secondly,any diesel owners here. How is it to own a diesel in USA. The newer diesels are really nice.
Last but not the least, if a California resident buys a new car out of state which has 50 states emission sticker. do they still have to go for smog?
Old 14th April 2017, 22:00   #5708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Is it a good idea to wait for 4th of July timeframe due to extra discounts and stuff. I was thinking of picking up in first week of June, but am okay to delay.
Secondly,any diesel owners here. How is it to own a diesel in USA. The newer diesels are really nice.
I believe 4th of July has pretty good discounts, however the best time would be when a new gen vehicle(the 2017's for example) hit the market. Dealers want to get rid of the old stock so they offer a lot of incentives. But even if you miss them, dealers usually have some or the other deals all year round, so I wouldn't lose sleep on that.
There aren't a lot of diesel sedans out there, or even SUV's for that matter. Most of the diesels are on Trucks to the best of my knowledge. And diesel is often 50 cents more expensive than regular gas, so I'd stick to a gasoline engine in the US.
Old 14th April 2017, 23:24   #5709
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by studentonwheels View Post
I believe 4th of July has pretty good discounts, however the best time would be when a new gen vehicle(the 2017's for example) hit the market. Dealers want to get rid of the old stock so they offer a lot of incentives. But even if you miss them, dealers usually have some or the other deals all year round, so I wouldn't lose sleep on that.
There aren't a lot of diesel sedans out there, or even SUV's for that matter. Most of the diesels are on Trucks to the best of my knowledge. And diesel is often 50 cents more expensive than regular gas, so I'd stick to a gasoline engine in the US.
Diesel price today near me is cheaper than regular gas. It'd make a great deal of sense to get a diesel in a luxury sedan or SUV (think BMW/Mercedes etc.) - because the Petrol versions require premium, which is usually at par ar even more expensive than Diesel, quite often. Having said that, the diesels are also priced more expensive than the equivalent petrol engine cars.
Also wrt deals - There are deals going around almost through the year - Not just July 4th for an example. It can be for various reasons. Domestic automakers are sitting on huge inventory, they might throw in a lot offers. With the Germans it is usually lease deals. But yes, model year changes bring very good offers. Also, even outside of deal season, some dealers may offer more discounts than another, sometimes on the very same car. Reasons like being not in a major market, or having had a particular car for too long in the inventory could be the reason.
Old 15th April 2017, 00:14   #5710
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by studentonwheels View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Diesel price today near me is cheaper than regular gas. It'd make a great deal of sense to get a diesel in a luxury sedan or SUV (think BMW/Mercedes etc.) - because the Petrol versions require premium, which is usually at par ar even more expensive than Diesel, quite often. Having said that, the diesels are also priced more expensive than the equivalent petrol engine cars.
Also wrt deals - There are deals going around almost through the year - Not just July 4th for an example. It can be for various reasons. Domestic automakers are sitting on huge inventory, they might throw in a lot offers. With the Germans it is usually lease deals. But yes, model year changes bring very good offers. Also, even outside of deal season, some dealers may offer more discounts than another, sometimes on the very same car. Reasons like being not in a major market, or having had a particular car for too long in the inventory could be the reason.
Thanks for your answers

Some points though
  • Diesel and Gas (87) cost same in California, and in some cases diesel is actually cheaper, even with DEF factored in
  • I plan to buy a Truck
  • Can't wait for 2018 to come(September), so its going to be early June
  • I am okay buying out of state if I get good deals, but California emissions thing is worrying me
Old 15th April 2017, 00:26   #5711
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your answers

Some points though
  • Diesel and Gas (87) cost same in California, and in some cases diesel is actually cheaper, even with DEF factored in
  • I plan to buy a Truck
  • Can't wait for 2018 to come(September), so its going to be early June
  • I am okay buying out of state if I get good deals, but California emissions thing is worrying me
Are you looking to tow large loads? If not the Colorado/Canyon diesels are pretty much the only small trucks with diesel. If you are looking at bigger trucks (1/2 ton) - the RAM has a diesel and Ford will be adding a diesel to the F150. Diesels are plenty in the heavy duty segment - every manufacturer offers a diesel there. You probably will get good deals in CA itself. But of course, there are always those dealers in obscure places who may be able to offer you a better price even with shipping. WRT CA emissions - that would be car specific. Some cars are sold the same across the country, some are not.
Old 15th April 2017, 01:05   #5712
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Are you looking to tow large loads? If not the Colorado/Canyon diesels are pretty much the only small trucks with diesel. If you are looking at bigger trucks (1/2 ton) - the RAM has a diesel and Ford will be adding a diesel to the F150. Diesels are plenty in the heavy duty segment - every manufacturer offers a diesel there. You probably will get good deals in CA itself. But of course, there are always those dealers in obscure places who may be able to offer you a better price even with shipping. WRT CA emissions - that would be car specific. Some cars are sold the same across the country, some are not.
Out of all the smaller pickup trucks we test drove, only Canyon/Colorado fit our needs. Tacoma is too uncomfortable and lacks space. Frontier has better seating, but lacks in the space and interior department.
That leaves us with the RAM, which in gas version is very very thirsty, and diesel is pushing 50K, no point. Colorado/Canyon are available around 33K (For Gas) and 36K for diesel in 4WD trims, however out of state I am able to find stuff about 4-5k cheaper.
Old 15th April 2017, 06:35   #5713
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Out of all the smaller pickup trucks we test drove, only Canyon/Colorado fit our needs. Tacoma is too uncomfortable and lacks space. Frontier has better seating, but lacks in the space and interior department.
That leaves us with the RAM, which in gas version is very very thirsty, and diesel is pushing 50K, no point. Colorado/Canyon are available around 33K (For Gas) and 36K for diesel in 4WD trims, however out of state I am able to find stuff about 4-5k cheaper.
The Frontier is ancient and the Tacoma is a minor redesign. The Canyon and Colorado are pretty much all new from last year. Don't go by the MSRP prices anyway, trucks are always sold at great discounts off MSRP.
I think you should be ok. People routinely move from other parts of the country to CA with cars bought elsewhere. It is definitely worth asking the dealer in the other state just to be super sure. What does the internet say?
Old 15th April 2017, 09:08   #5714
BHPian

Quote:
Out of all the smaller pickup trucks we test drove, only Canyon/Colorado fit our needs. Tacoma is too uncomfortable and lacks .........
Another truck tgo consider. Titan XD (Nissan) with the brand new Cummins V8 engine.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...-update-review

Last edited by Jomz : 15th April 2017 at 09:10.
Old 15th April 2017, 20:04   #5715
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
Another truck tgo consider. Titan XD (Nissan) with the brand new Cummins V8 engine.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...-update-review
I think they are looking at smaller trucks with a diesel. The Titan XD with the diesel is pretty much nearly like a heavy duty truck - or a half step above the 1/2 ton truck. Maybe if it were another year or two later, there might be a ranger with a diesel too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks