Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2015, 11:04   #4906
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalajprakash View Post
Here are some options for you

Infiniti Q50 ($37,150) - (3.7L V6 with 328hp) - (0-60 in 5.5sec)
Dodge Charger R/T ($30,695) - (5.7L V8 with 370hp) - (0-60 in 5.4sec)
Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack ($39,995) - (6.4L HEMI V8 with 485hp) - (0-60 in 4.5sec)

There are more options with the Dodge Charger which make it faster and thus more expensive.

SRT 392 and best of all, the HELLCAT! Heard they're all pretty good
Thanks, I'm not considering Dodge for the same reason as Chevy SS / Taurus or even 5 series, these are big cars and I want a small compact sedan that handles tight.

Infinity is a good options its just a bit too common for my taste..
Old 9th August 2015, 11:33   #4907
BHPian

Have you considered the Volvo S60 R-design and the M235i?
Old 9th August 2015, 11:42   #4908
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have you considered the Volvo S60 R-design and the M235i?
Hmm somehow I haven't considered Volvo, will look into it thanks.

M235i is not a four-door, isn't available under 40K.
Old 9th August 2015, 12:00   #4909
BHPian

Another car that just came to mind is the Jaguar XE. I'm not sure if it's launched yet but it should be out really soon. It's V6 version has been compared to the cars you are already considering.
Old 9th August 2015, 12:07   #4910
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Another car that just came to mind is the Jaguar XE. I'm not sure if it's launched yet but it should be out really soon. It's V6 version has been compared to the cars you are already considering.
I actually saw a couple of Jaguar XF V8 cars listed at 45K. I am not sure how much the Jags go down when you negotiate, but it might be an option if I can get it down to 42-ish I guess. But I hesitate to go Jag because I am buying, not leasing - and I am not sure the brand holds enough resale value.
Old 9th August 2015, 12:15   #4911
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
I actually saw a couple of Jaguar XF V8 cars listed at 45K. I am not sure how much the Jags go down when you negotiate, but it might be an option if I can get it down to 42-ish I guess. But I hesitate to go Jag because I am buying, not leasing - and I am not sure the brand holds enough resale value.

Leasing or buying doesn't influence resale value other then in leading it's sort of hidden in your monthly fee.

Although not as bad as in Europe Jaguar still depreciate faster then the other premium brands. But hey you only live once and it is a great car. Or do what I do and pick up a 4-5 year old Jaguar for next to nothing. Even the latest XJRs most hit the second hand market by now. Reliability isn't really an issue with Jag anymore. So go bonkers and get yourself one. It will bring a smile on your face every time you get in. And it will set you miles apart from all the boring BMW, Audi's and Mercedes!

Good luck
Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2015, 12:17   #4912
BHPian

XF is more M5 sized and I thought you mentioned you want vehicles on the smaller side. XE (soon to be launched?) is more of the 3-series competitor.
Old 9th August 2015, 23:26   #4913
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Good dilemma to be in. Like others have suggested why not go for a 2-3 year old suv in this option choice. New cars will always awe you but think on the payments you would have to make and the depreciation hit you would take.

Maddy
Thanks Maddy. I pretty much inclined toward buying a new vehicle. Following are the reasons I started searching used cars which are less than 30000 miles and 2 to 3 years old but most of those are Personal Lease vehicles. Some one told me that during resale, Personal lease or rental are considered nearly same. Also it was difficult to find a personal use car that was new and out in market. I did find a few but most of the low priced are suspiciously low in miles. Like a 3 years old car with 2500 miles. Another Honda certified car was 2 yrs old with 9000 miles on it but the car fax says ownership for just one month that too with the dealer. When I called the dealer he was saying it was used as Demo car for 3 months and then leased by a old gentleman. To avoid all this confusion decided to go with new cars. Kind of now inclining towards Accord too

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Since you are smitten by the 2016 pilot, why don't you consider taking a 3 year lease of the Pilot?
Thanks Vineeth. I do not have much idea about lease and will read about it online. Visa uncertainly and being the only child with parents alone in India are some reasons I do not want any long term commitment. If things go smooth I will continue for 5 more years definitely.

I will keep you guys posted with updates

Last edited by Technocrat : 10th August 2015 at 21:17. Reason: Please quote selectively as a large quoted post causes inconvenience to our mobile readers, thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 00:42   #4914
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananthang View Post
Some one told me that during resale, Personal lease or rental are considered nearly same.

To avoid all this confusion decided to go with new cars.
I object your honour!

Personal lease vehicles are not the same as rental vehicles. They are polar opposites. I wish I could throw in a tabular column for a point by point comparison, but I'll just explain how personal leases work. The lease terms are really iron-clad.
  1. Personal leases come with a 3 yr-36000 mile limit commonly. For every extra mile exceeded, I think the penalty is 2 cents. The number can vary; but the obvious value proposition is the lesser number of miles commonly seen on leased cars. (With rental cars, it's common to see 1 year old cars with upwards of 20,000 miles on the odo.)
  2. There are heavy penalties on personal leased car damages. A dent or mechanical repair which would have cost a regular car owner $X to repair would cost $2X or $3X under the lease. Lessors would have taken great pains to avoid heavy penalties. This means that leased cars are bound to be better maintained.
Besides, the US has not fully recovered from 2008; which means that people tend to hold on to their cars longer now. Rarely are 3 year old cars being sold by private owners; it's a steady supply of 3 year old ex-leased cars that has kept the used car market in the US running for a few years now. Used car dealers today get most of their procurements mostly from closed auctions of ex-leased cars.

Anyway, please do not have the misconception that leased cars are the same as rental cars.
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 08:58   #4915
Distinguished - BHPian

My two cents on the lease versus rental vehicle from a resale or better second hand purchasing perspective. I would never ever buy a car that had been a rental. Because you can be sure it has been thrashed to within an inch of its life! You have heard the saying: what is the fastest car? A rental, any rental. get in and floor it!! Topgear made a special about it where Jeremy was going to prove that a rental is thr fastest car in the world.

In general leased cars are one owner cars and whilst there might be the idiot who drives it like it is a rental, buy and large most leasee take reasonable good care for mo other reason it tends to be there daily drive and they might find themselves spending hours per day in it. Often they could be company cars so people take care of it, you cant show up at a customer with a beat up, crapped out car.

No guarantees, but by and large leased cars are a much safer option then rental when you are looking to buy second hand. In Europe just about all leased cars are company cars. In the USA you will find private cars on a lease as well. My Jaguar was a personal lease car. Never have a bought a better looking, maintained car then this one, just through Ebay!
Enjoy and good luck with your choice.
Jeroen
Old 10th August 2015, 13:41   #4916
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post

My Jaguar was a personal lease car. Never have a bought a better looking, maintained car then this one, just through Ebay!
Enjoy and good luck with your choice.
Jeroen
Jeroen,

I need to make a car buying decision in the US and Jaguar happens to be a brand that really excites me. I will be based in PA for around 2-3 years and have a budget of around 15k for a down payment and can shoulder financing for another 10-15k. I need a A4/3 series equivalent car i.e. not too long but compact and sporty. I was initially thinking of going in for a fully pre-paid personal lease but if I can get a good pre-owned example between 20-25k then that would be ideal. Can you please share your Jaguar buying experience in greater detail (or point me to a post/thread that has it)? If you can give me a few pointers on anything particular to look out for on a pre-owned Jaguar and which model will best suit my requirements then that would be great.

Suggestions from anyone else who can help me with my questions also welcome.

I was just seeing the Jag line up for US. XF is the entry level sedan and more like A6/5series. I dont think I can get one 2-3 years old example in decent nick for my overall budget of 25k. Moreover 2012-13 certified pre-owned seem to be 5L engines. I would be happier with the 2.0T right now. Looks like Jag is out of question for now. O well.

Last edited by Technocrat : 10th August 2015 at 21:15. Reason: Back to back posts merged, thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 16:27   #4917
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post
I was just seeing the Jag line up for US. XF is the entry level sedan and more like A6/5series. I dont think I can get one 2-3 years old example in decent nick for my overall budget of 25k. Moreover 2012-13 certified pre-owned seem to be 5L engines. I would be happier with the 2.0T right now. Looks like Jag is out of question for now. O well.

Various XFs going for around the 25K mark:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Cars-Trucks-...=Jaguar&_sop=2

Couple on Carmax as well for 25-27K

http://www.carmax.com/search?ADc=90&...esults:results page

Last edited by Jeroen : 10th August 2015 at 16:29.
Old 10th August 2015, 17:55   #4918
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananthang View Post
I do not have much idea about lease and will read about it online. Visa uncertainly and being the only child with parents alone in India are some reasons I do not want any long term commitment. If things go smooth I will continue for 5 more years definitely.
Hey, If you have any questions about leasing, ask away! I recently entered a lease for a 2015 Ford Fusion in Michigan. I am in kind of the same boat as you. Also, only child. Here's my ownership thread,

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-michigan.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post
Suggestions from anyone else who can help me with my questions also welcome.
I mentioned this a couple posts ago but the Jaguar XE is due soon and is supposed to be an A4/3series/Cclass competitor. Talk to a Jaguar dealer.
jalajprakash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 18:22   #4919
BHPian

jalajprakash's fully paid up lease on Ford Fusion SE has given me ideas. Probably I can do that for Audi A4 2.0T? I dont mind throwing away 15k for driving a good car for 3 years as opposed to buying anything pre-owned for around that price and getting something like 10k back in resale. Is that kind of a lease possible for Audi A4?
Old 10th August 2015, 18:33   #4920
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
- under 40k
- new or 2012 up, cpo if German
Quote:
I am not sure how much the Jags go down when you negotiate, but it might be an option if I can get it down to 42-ish I guess. But I hesitate to go Jag because I am buying, not leasing
For under $40k, it's going to be very difficult to get a new car from your list. CPO is possible, yes.

If you're looking for a good deal, from my experience, I have always received the best deal from BMW or Mercedes dealers.

Jaguar dealers, I've found the most unwilling to negotiate for a sale.

That's one of the main reasons I ended up with a F10 5-Series when trading in my E90, than a XF Supercharged or Audi S6.
aah78 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks