Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2015, 02:55   #4741
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Lots of cars track without dry sump. Even the mighty GM Corvette (base) does not have a dry sump. Hell there is even a stock class in autocross where you are not allowed to change anything except shocks and tires. Those cars don't blow up due to oil starvation..

If anybody is worried, you could do an used oil analysis . But on stock allseasons I don't think anybody is pulling enough G's for oil starvation.
Jomz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2015, 06:07   #4742
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
I would confirm that your car doesn't have dry sump (or forced) lube, before assuming anything. If it doesn't, then it obviously depends on how often you're doing it, how stressed the engine is (probability is that it will be high) if and when there is oil starvation and above all, these are machines, your prediction is as good as mine.

As I have repeatedly stated here, any kind of track driving on a regular basis has a price to pay.
Thanks for the note of caution. What would you define as "regular basis"? I had a colleague who used to regularly autocross his WRX. It was his daily driver all year round. I believe it still is and now he has moved to RallyX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
Lots of cars track without dry sump. Even the mighty GM Corvette (base) does not have a dry sump. Hell there is even a stock class in autocross where you are not allowed to change anything except shocks and tires. Those cars don't blow up due to oil starvation..
Good point there. I would probably have to do this to reach oil starvation levels

Old 9th May 2015, 09:06   #4743
BHPian

Jomz; if you read my post, I stated "if and when there is oil starvation" meaning, it's not a given, but a possibility. Engines blow up in racing all the time, especially of those who race often. Maybe not in autocross as much but, definitely on a proper track. But it's not just the engine that gets affected, suspension, steering, transmission, differential all these components degrade much faster under track conditions, not to mention the tires and the cost associated with it. Most guys who race cars like the 'vettes have typically deep pockets otherwise, you'll see them dumping the car pretty quick or, give up racing all together. It takes a lot of money to race 'vettes, porsches etc.

Amitoj: Once you get the track bug, your wallet will decide how 'often'. Like I said. its your wallet and your car. Obviously, it depends on how hard you drive. My experience tells me that as you do it more, the harder you tend to push the car, otherwise what's the point of doing it. The problem is, all the chest thumping will cease when you try to sell the car and let the buyer know (if you let the buyer know} that you've tracked it. Maybe he'll like that, but 9 out of 10 times, you'll see him walk or, seriously low ball you. That's another reason you want a dedicated track car. It's typically bought by another track guy and he'll pay the money. It's usually a win-win situation for both.
Old 10th May 2015, 18:47   #4744
BHPian

On a massive impulse, Picked up a new STi last week. Attached are some pics, base with short throw shifter. In the background is my 2013 pathfinder ,now with 53000 miles in 2 years.
Attached Thumbnails
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-1431263652801.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-1431263681869.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-1431263715866.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-1431263813620.jpg  

dr.abhijeet is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th May 2015, 19:59   #4745
BHPian

Nice car Abhijeet. STi is a good choice.
Old 12th May 2015, 01:53   #4746
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.abhijeet View Post
On a massive impulse, Picked up a new STi last week. Attached are some pics, base with short throw shifter. In the background is my 2013 pathfinder ,now with 53000 miles in 2 years.
Congrats Abhijeet! Nice to see another STi owner here. Have fun! Drive Safe!
Old 12th May 2015, 02:33   #4747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations! Do you have a lot of STi's in AZ? Btw, time for a profile pic update !
Old 12th May 2015, 02:55   #4748
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats Abhijeet! Black wheels look great and make the car look more aggressive. Btw, 53k miles in 2 Yrs is a lot of driving on Pathfinder. Whats the longest you have driven?
Old 12th May 2015, 18:27   #4749
BHPian

I own Camry 2012 LE here in US. I bought it used at 35,xxx miles and it seems the car came with Michelin Energy Saves A/S 205/65R16 94S tires. Now I am absolutely not knowledgeable about cars or tires but looking through naked eyes, I can see the front tires have substantially worn out while back appear pretty new. I did some reading on measuring thread remaining and know that brand new tires would have 10/32 thread and this number (10 here) will keep reducing to say 8/32, 4/32 etc.
I also was not informant about the concept of tire rotating. So few questions here I have, please answer them.

1. Are the front tires usually more worn out in FWD cars ?
2. If at this moment I don't have time or money to replace the front tires, can I just swap them with back ones and put the back ones front and go couple of thousand or so miles ?
3. Can I buy used tires from amazon / ebay ? New ones each cost $119+ Taxes (same brand and size) while used with claimed 7/32 thread is under $50 and 8/32 is under $60.

My car usage is 4 Miles on weekdays for work (my office is 1 Mile away and I come home for lunch so total 4 miles ride) and on weekends If I go to main city then it is 200 Miles to and fro and if I stay in my city then probably 3-4 miles ride total. Also the 200 Mile to and fro I don't do frequently, it is maximum once or twice a month. So total usage is under 700 miles a month.
So Can i go for used tires in such a case ?
Old 12th May 2015, 19:03   #4750
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatham.psb View Post
Congrats Abhijeet! Nice to see another STi owner here. Have fun! Drive Safe!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Congratulations! Do you have a lot of STi's in AZ? Btw, time for a profile pic update !
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPER_SRT View Post
Congrats Abhijeet! Black wheels look great and make the car look more aggressive. Btw, 53k miles in 2 Yrs is a lot of driving on Pathfinder. Whats the longest you have driven?
Quote:
Nice car Abhijeet. STi is a good choice.
Thanks Jomz.
@Viper_SRT I agree, the stock wheels look good.
The longest that I have driven is Baltimore to Tucson. The pathdinder has been driven coast to coast. I have a toddler, I drive lot more than fly.
@Vineeth, Thanks There are no a lot of STis in Tucson, Pheonix is full of STis.
@Gatham.psb Thanks, You have a Silver as well, right?

Currently breaking in for 1000 miles.
Do not plan to mod for now. May be a Cobb AP, but thats it.

Last edited by aah78 : 12th May 2015 at 19:23. Reason: Post edited - spacing.
Old 12th May 2015, 19:37   #4751
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
Michelin Energy Saves A/S 205/65R16 94S tires. Now I am absolutely not knowledgeable about cars or tires but looking through naked eyes, I can see the front tires have substantially worn out while back appear pretty new. I did some reading on measuring thread remaining and know that brand new tires would have 10/32 thread and this number (10 here) will keep reducing to say 8/32, 4/32 etc.
I also was not informant about the concept of tire rotating. So few questions here I have, please answer them.

1. Are the front tires usually more worn out in FWD cars ?
2. If at this moment I don't have time or money to replace the front tires, can I just swap them with back ones and put the back ones front and go couple of thousand or so miles ?
3. Can I buy used tires from amazon / ebay ? New ones each cost $119+ Taxes (same brand and size) while used with claimed 7/32 thread is under $50 and 8/32 is under $60.
First, please update your location when posting in this thread.

I'm guessing the wheels haven't been balanced or you haven't had a wheel alignment done since you bought the car...?

Front tires wear more because they do both the driving & the steering in a FWD.

I don't know how badly worn the tires are so you may get away with swapping the front and rear tires but it's still dangerous as then you won't have rear grip.
Unfortunately, this will only become prevalent in case you have to pull an emergency braking maneuver or an emergency swerve.

Also, in case of an accident an insurance company may deny your claim if they find you were driving on heavily worn tires.

Does your state have a yearly vehicle inspection?

If you want to save money, buy a set of tires for cheap - you don't need to shell out for the Michelin.

Look up TireRack - they will give you cheaper options in the same size.
The Kumho Solus are priced very well and will give you long service life. There are options priced lesser than the Kumhos as well.

To save on shipping, your local tire store will probably match TireRack's price and give you free air fill-ups & rotations for life.
aah78 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2015, 20:26   #4752
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
First, please update your location when posting in this thread.
.To save on shipping, your local tire store will probably match TireRack's price and give you free air fill-ups & rotations for life.
Sorry for not updating location. I am located in Sidney, OH and here there is no state inspection.
I am more inclined to buy from ebay only because I have $200 in gift card balance I wanted to use.
If not Michilen then which other cheaper but good brands I can go for ?
And yes I never got the alignment or balancing or anything done. Will the local walmart tire and lube do it and how much am I expecting to pay for these ?
Also since I mentioned that the back tires look good and say I buy only 2 new tires then should I get those 2 new fitted in front or in back (and put the back ones in front)?

Last edited by aah78 : 12th May 2015 at 21:07. Reason: Quoted post edited.
Old 12th May 2015, 21:14   #4753
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
S
If not Michilen then which other cheaper but good brands I can go for ?
Kumho, Hankook, Sumitomo - just off the top of my head.
Other manufacturers may have your sizes as well.

Manufacturers keep offering rebates on tire sizes, plus chain stores like PepBoys, Autozone, etc. sometimes run deals where they give you 1 tire free if you buy 3 from them - so keep an eye out for those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules
And yes I never got the alignment or balancing or anything done. Will the local walmart tire and lube do it and how much am I expecting to pay for these ?
Yes, call them and ask them for a quote.
Alignment usually runs in the $100+ range, balancing $20/tire+.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules
Also since I mentioned that the back tires look good and say I buy only 2 new tires then should I get those 2 new fitted in front or in back (and put the back ones in front)?
If you buy 2 new tires, put them on the front.
Old 12th May 2015, 21:28   #4754
BHPian

Hmm, wrong. Put new tires on the back - unless you want oversteer and tail stepping out in wet/ icy conditions.

quick search gave this, But you could find more credible sources with a better search.

http://www.souzastireservice.com/tir...t-or-rear.aspx
Jomz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2015, 21:43   #4755
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
If you buy 2 new tires, put them on the front.
Quote:
Hmm, wrong. Put new tires on the back
Oops, I stand corrected!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks