Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2016, 14:01   #5251
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.abhijeet View Post
Every 3 months sounds a little aggressive. Let's see what others say.

In the USA or Europe for that matter I will only get the alignment checked if something doesn't feel right, or when I notice uneven wear on the tires. In and around Kansas City there where roads with huge potholes and I have experienced some problems, but in general during the 2 million plus kilometers I have driven with God knows how many different cars I honestly don't think i have had more then 6-8 alignment checks done. And nearly always because I felt the car wasn't tracking well.

If your allignement goes off every three month there is something wrong with it or you drive constantly on exceptionally bad roads.

Jeroen

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2016, 18:22   #5252
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqMaster View Post
Update: Thank you everyone for your contributions. I was able to use the suggestions to list out the pros and cons and bought General AltiMax RT 43 tires(set of 4) at Discount Tire.

Total around $375 (not exact figure) including Lifetime rotation, balancing, puncture repair, road hazard and $75 Rebate.
Got the Alignment done at Pep Boys for 1 year $130 (not exact figure). I Plan to check my alignment every 3 Months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.abhijeet View Post
Every 3 months sounds a little aggressive. Let's see what others say.
Yes every 3 months is a over-do unless you are driving in bad roads everyday. Also since wheel alignments are expensive, the shop can also refuse to do the alignment at such short intervals. Have they not specified any limit on the number of alignments?
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2016, 19:17   #5253
BHPian

Quote:
Update: Thank you everyone for your contributions. I was able to use the suggestions to list out the pros and cons and bought General AltiMax RT 43 tires(set of 4) at Discount Tire.

Total around $375 (not exact figure) including Lifetime rotation, balancing, puncture repair, road hazard and $75 Rebate.
Got the Alignment done at Pep Boys for 1 year $130 (not exact figure). I Plan to check my alignment every 3 Months.
I would get an alignment every 1 year or
when car pulls to a side or
uneven tire wear.

It not a bad idea to get it aligned every year, just to move the alignment adjustment bolts , so that they won't freeze up. On my last car - it was not aligned for 5 years - and the bolts froze/rusted. It was impossible to adjust anything except toe - because it had only Pep boys alignments for life.

Anyway most cars don't have all adjustments. For example In a McPherson strut suspension Camber typically cannot be adjusted.

It is always better to take to an Independent Race tire shop - same cost as dealer, lots of knowledge.

Some reading

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheel_alignment
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camber_angle
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toe_%28automotive%29

From the Toe page.

"Toe is always adjustable in production automobiles, even though caster angle and camber angle are often not adjustable. Maintenance of front end alignment, which used to involve all three adjustments, currently involves only setting the toe; in most cases, even for a car in which caster or camber are adjustable, only the toe will need adjustment. One related concept is that the proper toe for straight line travel of a vehicle will not be correct while turning, since the inside wheel must travel around a smaller radius than the outside wheel; to compensate for this, the steering linkage typically conforms more or less to Ackermann steering geometry, modified to suit the characteristics of the individual vehicle."

Last edited by Jomz : 22nd February 2016 at 19:25.
Jomz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2016, 23:57   #5254
Senior - BHPian

Recently came to know about the recent discussion on EPA's ruling on calling modified cars illegal, here are the details for those who are not keeping track

Quote:
A proposal by the Environmental Protection Agency could mean bad things for racers and car enthusiasts across the United States. According to the Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA), the EPA wants to make it illegal to modify your roadgoing car for racing, and could even prohibit the sale of aftermarket parts that mess with emission control devices.

Tucked away in an EPA proposal titled Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Fuel Efficiency Standards for Medium- and Heavy-Duty Engines and Vehicles—Phase 2 is a section that indicates this sort of vehicle modification is a violation of the clean air act. Here's the exact wording, found on page 862 of an official EPA document:

EPA is proposing in 40 CFR 1037.601(a)(3) to clarify that the Clean Air Act does not allow any person to disable, remove, or render inoperative (i.e., tamper with) emission controls on a certified motor vehicle for purposes of competition.

SEMA met with the EPA to confirm the agency's intentions, and issued a statement saying, "The EPA indicated that the regulation would prohibit conversion of vehicles into racecars and make the sale of certain emissions-related parts for use on converted vehicles illegal." The association added, "SEMA will continue to oppose the regulation through the administrative process and will seek congressional support and judicial intervention as necessary."

Cars used exclusively for racing have not always been held to the same emissions standards as their roadgoing counterparts. This EPA document outlines exactly how the Clean Air Act applied to cars used exclusively for racing, as well as new cars the EPA and various automakers classify as "competition" models. Here, it was simply not allowed to modify cars that would be used for both competitive and recreational use.

"This proposed regulation represents overreaching by the agency, runs contrary to the law and defies decades of racing activity where EPA has acknowledged and allowed conversion of vehicles," said Chris Kersting, president and CEO of SEMA.

The EPA is expected to publish its final regulations in July.

Source
However the following article seems to be suggesting that this law is not new & has existed since 1977

Quote:
Last week, those of us who like to use our cars for competition now and again had a collective certified flopping fit after SEMA sent out an press release entitled EPA Seeks To Prevent Conversion Of Vehicles Into Racecars. The alert said the EPA intends to prohibit any and all modifications to street cars that make them suitable for hooning around your favorite race track.

EPA rules for race cars

It focused on a proposed set of new EPA regulations entitled, “Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Fuel Efficiency Standards for Medium- and Heavy-Duty Engines and Vehicles—Phase 2.” The SEMA bulletin alleged, “While the Clean Air Act (CAA) prohibits certain modifications to motor vehicles, it is clear that vehicles built or modified for racing, and not used on the streets, are not the ‘motor vehicles’ that Congress intended to regulate.”

In fact, as Road & Track points out, the proposed rules are a clarification of provisions that have been in effect since 1977. Under EPA rules, it has always been illegal to modify the emission control system of any engine intended for street use. If you bring your track day car to a race weekend on a trailer, you’ve got nothing to worry about. If, on the other hand, you drive your race car to the track on public roads, the engine in that car must meet all applicable emissions standards in effect on the date of manufacture.

What the EPA seems to be primarily concerned with is aftermarket companies that sell performance gear for street cars that bypasses or eliminates any software or hardware associated with meeting EPA rules. In 2012 it sued Edge Products for selling a device that allowed pickup truck engines to bypass their diesel particulate filters. EPA Deputy Press Secretary Laura Allen says, “People may use EPA-certified motor vehicles for competition, but to protect public health from air pollution, the Clean Air Act has… specifically prohibited tampering with or defeating the emission control systems on those vehicles.”

According to The Drive, “It has been illegal to modify any emissions equipment on any engine sold for road-legal use in the US since the Clean Air Act was amended in 1977.” Doing so is classified as “tampering.” In 1980, the EPA defined tampering as “removing, disconnecting, damaging, or in any way rendering ineffective any emission control device or element installed on a motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine.” In 1993, the definition was amended to include adding a turbocharger. The most recent update came in 2009 and includes a list of Prohibited Acts.

So what about that track day car in your garage that started life as a production car? The EPA’s Allen says, “In the course of selecting cases for enforcement, the EPA has and will continue to consider whether the tampered vehicle is used exclusively for competition. The EPA remains primarily concerned with cases where the tampered vehicle is used on public roads, and more specifically with aftermarket manufacturers who sell devices that defeat emission control systems on vehicles used on public roads.”

In other words, nothing much has changed. It has always been illegal to tamper with emissions controls. If your track day car is missing its catalytic converter or has had its computer reprogrammed, you could be in violation of the law. Thankfully, the EPA has never been known to raid a local autocross and shows no inclination to start now. So keep calm and race on. The EPA has bigger fish to fry than checking on what’s coming out the tailpipe of your spec racer.

Source
I guess we will find out more in the coming days.
Technocrat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2016, 02:08   #5255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post

I guess we will find out more in the coming days.
EPA clarified.

"Update: EPA spokesperson Laura Allen provided this further clarification to R&T:
This clarification does not affect EPA's enforcement authority. It is still illegal to tamper with or defeat the emission control systems of motor vehicles. In the course of selecting cases for enforcement, the EPA has and will continue to consider whether the tampered vehicle is used exclusively for competition. The EPA remains primarily concerned with cases where the tampered vehicle is used on public roads, and more specifically with aftermarket manufacturers who sell devices that defeat emission control systems on vehicles used on public roads."
http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorspo...ctually-means/
Jomz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2016, 03:37   #5256
Distinguished - BHPian

The tread on my Altima is on the last level- I'm looking for options to replace all 4 tires. Saw the discussion on the previous page, I'll be going through options suggested there. DiscountTire offer is coming to about $630 for Michelin Defender (not accounting the 70$ mail rebate).

I asked a colleague and she got the following offers from her garage for $400-$450 (+ taxes) for the following brands - Kumho, Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring, BF Goodrich TA. This includes the mounting, balance and lifetime rotating. Never heard of these brands - but found conflicting reviews for Uniroyal and BF Goodrich.

Any feedback on the above 3 brands?
Or do I stick to the global brands and keep looking for better deals.

Edit: Michelin Defender seem to have pretty consistently bad reviews on the miles - most reviews state they pan out around 30k - 40k.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 23rd February 2016 at 03:53.
Old 23rd February 2016, 03:59   #5257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Have they not specified any limit on the number of alignments?
I did my alignment in Sept 2015. By November I was able to feel the change in alignment of the vehicle and had to take it back and redo it again. When I checked last week, it was bad again.

Maybe the roads/past tires/driving style is the culprit. I wont be requiring to do the alignment if the shop says the values are fine. But I will definitely prefer taking it in every 3 months and getting it checked to be on the safe side.
I specifically asked for these conditions and was assured I could come in whenever I need to. Hence bought the 1 year package.
Old 23rd February 2016, 04:08   #5258
Senior - BHPian

Got a query for a friend

He has a almost paid off car, genesis coupe, bought new with 40k miles on it. Its all stock but the Modification itch is present. Would love to do some modifications after playing too many video games. Maybe exhaust, intercooler. No fooling around with the engine though.

Or

Should he go in for a new or used Subaru WRX or a STI? While looking up used subarus on autotrader you do realise that they maintain value. Some what like Gold. Used vehicles have the minimal depreciation as compared to other vehicles. This option means going on another term loan for 3-4 years. No modifications will be made at the moment.

My query is basically:

Which one of this would your option be and why? Sensible and ridiculous or extravagant suggestions are welcome. After all YOLO.

Maddy
Old 23rd February 2016, 04:43   #5259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Sensible and ridiculous or extravagant suggestions are welcome. After all YOLO.

Maddy
Last of them Evo's?? All are going on a discount now. They don't have the Recaros' this year for some reason.

http://www.rchillmitsubishi.com/new-...ncer+Evolution

Evos' might appreciate in value- if you can get a pair of nice recaros' from an older model.
Jomz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2016, 06:41   #5260
BHPian

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

@maddy: your friend needs to test drive, the WRX/ STI/Evo/focus RS/ civic type R , all of them seem to be options. The mature decision will be to do nothing and save money, but then if all of us were mature, everyone will drive a 2001 Corolla (that's the most car that we ever need).
dr.abhijeet is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2016, 19:08   #5261
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Vehicle: 2006 CRV,LX AWD, clocked 135K Miles
Size: 215/65/R16
Quote:
Quote:
I did my alignment in Sept 2015. By November I was able to feel the change in alignment of the vehicle and had to take it back and redo it again. When I checked last week, it was bad again.
135k miles - have you had any suspension work done to your car? Alignment is just not checked every 3 months - this is not the 1920's anymore.

Why do you say alignment is bad?

Car pulls to one side? Vibrations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
I asked a colleague and she got the following offers from her garage for $400-$450 (+ taxes) for the following brands - Kumho, Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring, BF Goodrich TA. This includes the mounting, balance and lifetime rotating. Never heard of these brands - but found conflicting reviews for Uniroyal and BF Goodrich.
I don't have any experience with Uniroyal tires.
Kumho's last forever. BF Goodrich is under Michelin.
Both of them are pretty much global brands.

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd February 2016 at 19:12. Reason: Merged.
aah78 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2016, 20:04   #5262
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
Kumho's last forever. BF Goodrich is under Michelin.
Both of them are pretty much global brands.
Thanks! Did a search on the forum - we even have a thread on it - lol! (hankook-kumho-maxxis-nankang-how-good-bad-these.html)

I guess I'll push for Kumho sets - general research on the web forums gave me decent +ve feedback on Kumho tires.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 23rd February 2016 at 20:05.
Old 23rd February 2016, 20:45   #5263
BHPian

Quote:

World largest model tire is made by Uniroyal. The company feels Chinese, but it is actually American.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniroyal_Giant_Tire
Old 23rd February 2016, 23:50   #5264
BHPian

Quote:
this is not the 1920's anymore.
Car pulls to one side? Vibrations?
Yes, the Car pulled to one side and Tires were beginning to wear out unevenly.
Old 24th February 2016, 03:16   #5265
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, the Car pulled to one side and Tires were beginning to wear out unevenly.
I agree with Aah78! Have you had your suspension looked at ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks