Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2015, 19:48   #5146
Team-BHP Support

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post
My car budget has been halved from $30k to $15k. I can at best stretch that by a few thousand more. I will be putting $10k down and get the rest financed and will be buying used.
Just make sure you have money saved over for insurance and maintenance / repairs (if required).

Quote:
2) Can a warranty be bought for a 2010-2012 Bimmer/Audi/Merc with nearly 60k miles on the odo? If yes then how expensive is that likely to be?
After market warranties can be bought - lot of companies sell.
Check terms and conditions. A cheap warranty won't cover major items.
Average cost will be about $3000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc
3) I will most likely use the car for 18-24 months and then change. How difficult is it to sell a 7-8 year old entry level luxury sedan with 80-90k on the odo?
Depends on how the car has been maintained and how low you price it. You will not make money on selling a luxury car.

Quote:
4) How is a private party sale executed - after I pay cash and take keys what all documents are needed and how do I transfer titles and get the car registered. Is that a cumbersome or time consuming process? What if its a out of state car (bought in NJ/VA/Washington DC and to be registered in PA)?
This is general information - varies state-to-state:
You need insurance. The title is signed over to you at time of sale. You pay the seller and he/she signs over the title to you.
But then the seller takes the plates off the car and you can't drive it home - legally ... till you register it and get your own plates.
Out of state transfers vary per state. Go to the DMV website of the state you're located in.

Quote:
2009 328i convertible hard top - done 56k - asking $16.5k:
https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/5296776695.html

2009 328xi coupe - done 69k - asking $17.5k:
https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...310930848.html
These sellers are dreaming. No more than $12k/$13k.
aah78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2015, 21:53   #5147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Welcome to the States!

But if you are going to dump the car in less than 2 years anyway, then why do you want to put so much cash in it?
Thanks. The assumption is that I should get back a decent amount of money that I am putting in right now at the time of selling the car. By decent I mean 60-65% of what i am putting in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
Just make sure you have money saved over for insurance and maintenance / repairs (if required).
Have done that. Insurance will cost a bomb for first 3-4 months and I have budgeted for that. Will sign up for that telematics thingy to keep some sort of a lid on costs on that front.

Quote:
After market warranties can be bought - lot of companies sell.
Check terms and conditions. A cheap warranty won't cover major items.
Average cost will be about $3000.
Are these from third parties or from the manufacturer? I wouldnt bother wih any warranty that doesnt come from the manufacturer.

Quote:
Depends on how the car has been maintained and how low you price it. You will not make money on selling a luxury car.
Not looking to make any money with resale. Just want to avoid losing something like 50% value in 2 years time. A value loss of around 30-35% is perfectly palatable.

Quote:
This is general information - varies state-to-state:
You need insurance. The title is signed over to you at time of sale. You pay the seller and he/she signs over the title to you.
But then the seller takes the plates off the car and you can't drive it home - legally ... till you register it and get your own plates.
Out of state transfers vary per state. Go to the DMV website of the state you're located in.
So I have to arrange for insurance first? And leave the car at the seller place till I get plates? When you say 'signs the title to you' what does that exacty mean. Pardon for the noob questions.

Quote:
These sellers are dreaming. No more than $12k/$13k.
If I can get these cars at that price then I would chance my arm on them rather than put 15-17k on 2012-14 full size sedans from Honda/Ford.
Old 19th November 2015, 22:43   #5148
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post
Are these from third parties or from the manufacturer? I wouldnt bother wih any warranty that doesnt come from the manufacturer.
These are after market / 3rd party. Manufacturers only provide standard warranty new cars or certified cars.
Even the extended warranties are tie-ups with 3rd party companies.

Quote:
So I have to arrange for insurance first? And leave the car at the seller place till I get plates? When you say 'signs the title to you' what does that exacty mean. Pardon for the noob questions.
You won't be able to register a car in your name unless you have insurance.

Easiest way to do it if you end up buying a car off a private sale, then have the owner drive over to your place and park the car (off the street).

That way, you have the car, you pay him/her and the deal is done.

Title certificate reflects ownership of the car.
On a sale, the seller & buyer both sign on the back, thus transferring ownership.
Then, when you go to register your new car, you apply for a new title in your name and the DMV will issue you one in your or the lien-holder's (loan issuing bank) name.

Check this thread also: (Guide: First-time car ownership in the USA)Guide: First-time car ownership in the USA
Old 19th November 2015, 23:20   #5149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
My 2010 Honda Civic's horn stopped working. I showed the car to a mechanic and the fuse is good.
Okay, the issue is fixed. The horn was faulty. Cost me $40 for the OEM horn & $75 labor charges.
Old 22nd November 2015, 23:10   #5150
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
These are after market / 3rd party. Manufacturers only provide standard warranty new cars or certified cars.
Even the extended warranties are tie-ups with 3rd party companies.
Hello aah78!

My 2011 Nissan Rogue S AWD's 5 year Engine/Powertrain warranty has just expired in October. It has run 42,000 miles and is in very good nick. I was thinking about getting an extended warranty from Nissan. They gave me 3 options for 3 years/36,000 miles:
1) A very comprehensive warranty for around $2500 (coverage included everything - AC, electronics, engine etc.)
2) A medium level warranty for around $1500 (which covers a little more than just the engine)
3) Engine/powertrain warranty for $900

How reliable are Nissans in general? Am I better of retaining the risk or should I buy some kind of an extended warranty? I know that AWDs and 4WDs are more likely to develop faults.

People have generally advised me against buying an extended warranty, citing the cliched "Japanese quality" thing. But I know that for any repairs to be done, Nissan service centers charge ~$100/hr for labor alone. Maybe I can hedge my risks by opting for option #3 above? Please share your thoughts on this. Thanks!
Old 23rd November 2015, 05:14   #5151
BHPian

Have been to Mercedes of Chantilly today evening. My Sis is on a car shopping for her family. 7 seater with all the gadgets. She liked the GL 450, but it didn't have the features available in the Lexus 350 which costs around 50K and this one costing almost 80K on road. Took a few pictures at the showroom:
Attached Thumbnails
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-gl1.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-gl2.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-gl3.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-gl4.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-gl5.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-gl6.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-gl7.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-gl8.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-gl9.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-gl10.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-gl11.jpg  

Old 23rd November 2015, 06:04   #5152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Hello aah78!

My 2011 Nissan Rogue S AWD's 5 year Engine/Powertrain warranty has just expired in October. It has run 42,000 miles and is in very good nick. I was .....................................
Please share your thoughts on this. Thanks!
I know the question is directed to aah78! but let me give my 2 cents here. :P
I have 2013 Pathfinder which ran out of its official warranty in the early part of 2nd year of ownership. I bought Nissan gold plus right before I hit 36000 miles. The prices quoted by your dealer are MSRP of the plans, this varies with amount of warranty sought(eg. 750000miles, 100000 miles etc) and you can get one for cheap from a Nissan dealer if you shop around online. I got my Gold plus 100000 miles with MSRP of $2660.00 for $1540. The prominent dealers who do this are Nissan of Santa Rosa, CA and Vaden Nissan, GA and all transaction is online and they mail you the paperwork.
The issue with the Gold plus is it has to be bought when before your manufacturer warranty expires, IIRC.

I bought extended warranty because of the electronic stuff in the car and I was planning to keep it till 100000 miles. I am at 65000 miles now yet to use it so I can't tell you how good the service is. Reliability wise, IMHO, its the specific model rather than the manufacturer whose reliability matters, for eg, 2013 Pathfinders have an unreliable CVT but the rest of the car is OK.
dr.abhijeet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2015, 09:45   #5153
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.abhijeet View Post
I know the question is directed to aah78! but let me give my 2 cents here. :P
Thanks for the tip. I didn't know that we could shop online for it. Although now that you mention it, my warranty has lapsed by the end of october. I wonder if anyone would sell me an extended warranty now.

Also, is there any reliable database or something to know the weak points of each vehicle model? I really do not know the Rogue's weaknesses.

Last edited by Technocrat : 30th November 2015 at 22:23. Reason: Please quote selectively as a large quoted post causes inconvenience to our mobile readers, thanks
Old 23rd November 2015, 22:42   #5154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Hello aah78!

My 2011 Nissan Rogue S AWD's 5 year Engine/Powertrain warranty has just expired in October.
Now that you are out of warranty, I don't think there is any real need to go back to the stealership. Perhaps you can look for a good independent garage who is popular on your local Nissan forums?

Personally, I would save my money if the car has been kept in a good nick and you are the first owner. Spent that money on the upcoming timing belt change! (assuming Rogue has one)

Last edited by Technocrat : 30th November 2015 at 22:24. Reason: Please quote selectively as a large quoted post causes inconvenience to our mobile readers, thanks
Old 23rd November 2015, 23:32   #5155
BHPian

Anyone having experience with Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring tires?

It's time to replace tires in my Odyssey (235/60/R18) and I'm looking at either Continental TrueContacts or CS5 Ultra Touring tires. Reviews are good for both but I'm more interested in Cooper tires since they are cheaper than Continentals.

Also, I'm in Bay Area so handling in dry & wet conditions is the reason for choosing these tires.

Thank you!
Old 24th November 2015, 01:12   #5156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
Anyone having experience with Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring tires?

It's time to replace tires in my Odyssey (235/60/R18) and I'm looking at either Continental TrueContacts or CS5 Ultra Touring tires. Reviews are good for both but I'm more interested in Cooper tires since they are cheaper than Continentals.

Also, I'm in Bay Area so handling in dry & wet conditions is the reason for choosing these tires.

Thank you!
Had Cooper CS4's on My Accord. Liked everything about them except Snow traction. For a comparison, I feel they are like Michelin Primacy MXMV on my Acura. Long lasting tires, with deep threads for better wet traction.
Jomz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2015, 01:24   #5157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
Had Cooper CS4's on My Accord. Liked everything about them except Snow traction. For a comparison, I feel they are like Michelin Primacy MXMV on my Acura. Long lasting tires, with deep threads for better wet traction.
Thanks Jomz. Guess I'll go ahead with purchasing Coopers since we don't get snow. Also, I'm not concerned about the thread life, but more about grip and handling.

-- Jose
Old 29th November 2015, 11:15   #5158
BHPian

This week was supposed to be just another thanksgiving week like every year except it wasn't! Finally pulled the plug on a 911 4S yesterday. I was debating between next generation 911 that will use turbos in a 3L engine and the outgoing last Naturally Aspirated 911 engine. It had to be the 3.8L NA engine. The 2 most important options for me were "Sport Chrono Package and Sports exhaust system" and this one has both of them. Posting some pics for now but I'll write an in-depth review with interior pics next week and hopefully video of exhaust note which is terrific!
Attached Thumbnails
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-img_3502.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-img_3501.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-img_3505.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-img_3499.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-img_3500.jpg  

Last edited by VIPER_SRT : 29th November 2015 at 11:17.
VIPER_SRT is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 29th November 2015, 16:56   #5159
Distinguished - BHPian

Very nice car, love the color, bit unusual to see blue on a Porsche but I think it really suits the car. Enjoy and be careful, thats quite a handful of car.
Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2015, 22:06   #5160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Very nice car, love the color, bit unusual to see blue on a Porsche but I think it really suits the car. Enjoy and be careful, thats quite a handful of car.
Jeroen
Thanks Jeroen! Never thought of this color but looks very good in person. My other choice was an Orange with black wheels, Maybe someday! Its quite aggressive in Sports and more in Sports plus mode. Got to respect it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks