Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2016, 12:39   #5191
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Love Craigslist, but as with anything you buy second hand, be it from Ebay, a dealer, a private seller or via Craigslist you need to be careful.
I want to add to that - there are a lot of scams on craigslist to be careful about. One regular scam is that a "buyer" calls you and says they can send you money, they are not in town for some reason so they will have someone come and pick up the item. They send you the money, have someone pick it up and then they go raise a dispute and have the transaction reversed (I am not sure how, apparently it is possible). Thats why they want to make the payment online instead of in person. So you lose both your money and your item. Typically when you get a response like "Hi, is ___ still availabke?" it is a bot for this scam. If you respond with "yes", you will see a response like what I described above.

Just insist on dealing locally and cash only.
rajushank84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2016, 00:22   #5192
BHPian

I'm trying to sell my car on cragislist and this is so true I get 3-4 such mails everyday.
I have given my number on the and just ignore email queries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
I want to add to that - there are a lot of scams on craigslist to be careful about. One regular scam is that a "buyer" calls you and says they can send you money, they are not in town for some reason so they will have someone come and pick up the item. They send you the money, have someone pick it up and then they go raise a dispute and have the transaction reversed (I am not sure how, apparently it is possible). Thats why they want to make the payment online instead of in person. So you lose both your money and your item. Typically when you get a response like "Hi, is ___ still availabke?" it is a bot for this scam. If you respond with "yes", you will see a response like what I described above.

Just insist on dealing locally and cash only.
Old 12th January 2016, 22:06   #5193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
I'm trying to sell my car on cragislist and this is so true I get 3-4 such mails everyday.
I have given my number on the and just ignore email queries.
Got a call from "IRS" last week that there's a arrest warrant out on me for tax fraud and that I need to call them back immediately to resolve this (VM). Same caller again in few hours and a similar VM but more intense this time. I knew it was a scam as it happened to few in my circle, some just fell for it, transferring thousands of dollars as fines. So I had to call them back to get a feel of it. So someone picks up on a second ring, deep voice & fake accent says "Internal Revenue Services", transfers it to someone else and the usual story of whats my name and Social. Told him that I dont remember my social as I rarely use it and he was pissed! Feeling a gist of my concerned and scared tone, he asked me to transfer an amount of $9320 right away to avoid cops at my doorsteps in few hours. I requested him that money can be arranged but its stuck with a friend of mine to whom I need to pay $1000 and asked him if he can personally transfer $1000 to me first. So he started laughing and hung up.

Many of you might know about this IRS scam but if someone doesn't then please spread this in your circle.
VIPER_SRT is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th January 2016, 04:31   #5194
BHPian

Hello Everyone,
I'm looking at trading in my 2007 Accord LX with 109k miles on the odo either for a 2016 Accord Sport with Honda sensing or a certified pre owned 2013 328i xdrive with 38k miles on it. The dealer has quoted 24500 for the 328i and is willing to lower the price further and has offered a fair trade in for my Accord(5000-5500$). The price range on KBB is based on the additional packages(cold weather and premium) is 24300-27200. What do you guys think would be a fair deal? The dealer offered additional service warranty package for about $2200 for two years and yesterday he sent a mail that they might offer that for free. If this deal does not go through, I'm thinking of a 2016 Accord Sport with Honda sensing. To me, the car looks terrific except for the grill(chrome overkill), especially the 19 inch alloy wheels and the Honda reliability.
Old 14th January 2016, 08:13   #5195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaka46 View Post
Hello Everyone, I'm looking at trading in my 2007 Accord LX
Assuming this is a BMW dealership, since you said "Certified Preowned", its a good deal if it comes with extended warranty and new tires. BMW certified also means, car is free of accidents, an important factor to consider. Make sure you check the CarFax report. Did you check the tires? The good thing is, its still under warranty and BMW maintenance. New Honda's have more tech compare to 2013 BMW. Its a very personal choice but if you love driving then go for BMW. You can't go wrong with it!
VIPER_SRT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2016, 21:38   #5196
Senior - BHPian

+1 to what Viper_SRT said

Also the 328i is a much smaller car compared to Accord & the 2016 Accord will probably have more features. But the BMW would be more fun to drive.

Do the due diligence & then take the call. All the best
Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2016, 22:59   #5197
BHPian

Yesterday I was waiting at red light to make a left turn. To my left there was another car and when the signal turned green, he swings into my lane. I honk to alert him and he then blinks his emergency light for a few seconds.

Why did he switch on the emergency lights? I've never seen such a behavior before. BTW, I'm in Bay Area.

Thank you
Old 16th January 2016, 02:19   #5198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaka46 View Post
24500 for the 328i and is willing to lower the price further and has offered a fair trade...

The dealer offered additional service warranty package for about $2200 for two years and yesterday he sent a mail that they might offer that for free....

I think it s a pretty good deal, unless there is something wrong with the Car. But make sure you check everything and Yes,, Check the life of tires cause those run flats will be expensive.

My 328i 2014 is now on 34k and that's the biggest expense I see in the coming year.
Fraz33r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2016, 04:27   #5199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
Why did he switch on the emergency lights? I've never seen such a behavior before. BTW, I'm in Bay Area.
Thank you
Means he doesn't care and asking you to take it easy. Its quite common in any metro like NJ and NYC. I would suggest not to honk at anyone and take it easy. Road rage has become quite a norm these days and people are getting shot for no reason. There are too many maniacs on the road with guns these days.
VIPER_SRT is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th January 2016, 04:51   #5200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post

Thank you
I have seen truckers do this on the highways in Canada when you let them merge into your lane. It's their way of saying "thanks"
amitoj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th January 2016, 05:16   #5201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPER_SRT View Post
Means he doesn't care and asking you to take it easy. Its quite common in any metro like NJ and NYC. I would suggest not to honk at anyone and take it easy. Road rage has become quite a norm these days and people are getting shot for no reason. There are too many maniacs on the road with guns these days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I have seen truckers do this on the highways in Canada when you let them merge into your lane. It's their way of saying "thanks"
Thanks guys. Didn't understand what he was trying to communicate.

I had to honk because I thought he would bump into my car.
Old 16th January 2016, 19:59   #5202
BHPian

Anybody follows Doug Femuro's blog on jalopnik?? His adventures with expensive cars and carmax warranty's are eye opening.

Adventures with the Land rover
http://jalopnik.com/my-range-rover-s...d-i-1733772237
http://jalopnik.com/my-air-suspensio...ran-1683787880
http://dougdemuro.kinja.com/one-year...sed-1485113319

Now he went and bought an AstonMartin with a warranty- which became useful in a week!!
http://jalopnik.com/i-bought-a-45-00...lea-1751337202
http://jalopnik.com/my-new-aston-mar...own-1752936014

will be interesting.

Meanwhile , anybody going for the Detroit auto show??
Jomz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2016, 23:30   #5203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
Anybody follows Doug Femuro's blog on jalopnik?? His adventures with expensive cars and carmax warranty's are eye opening
I read many of his blogs, they are worth reading. Carmax guys know him very well now, the management is extra careful, up on their toes, every time he visits. Maybe every Carmax location has his picture with auto face recognition and alarm system His experience selling a Hummer H1 to Carmax and the Ferrari episode were great. Also the unreliable Range Rover buy with extended warranty and the repairs that followed got him peculiar attention on auto journalism.
Old 17th January 2016, 04:55   #5204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
Anybody follows Doug Femuro's blog on jalopnik?? His adventures with expensive cars and carmax warranty's are eye opening.

Adventures .....

Meanwhile , anybody going for the Detroit auto show??

I am a fan of the guy. I do think his quality has gone down since his earlier days. I have read his book ,"play with cars". There were 2 entries from India in his latest car buying excel sheet , both me both said Hindustan ambassador.
Old 18th January 2016, 01:15   #5205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.abhijeet View Post
I am a fan of the guy. I do think his quality has gone down since his earlier days. I have read his book ,"play with cars". There were 2 entries from India in his latest car buying excel sheet , both me both said Hindustan ambassador.
He had a book?? I never knew it. Need to search about that.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks