Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2019, 23:06   #6286
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj123 View Post
Are you sure that you want to look into used rental car options as well? It would have been driven by several people and you can never guess how it was being used or maintained.

Having owned a luxury German vehicle in the past, I would highly recommend the CPO / extended warranty offered directly from the manufacturer (and not from a third party).
Thanks VJ123,

I was looking at some cars from Enterprise. But I'll stay away from them now.

Thanks for the tip about the extended warranty from manufacturer. Other than the drive train and transmission, is there something I should be aware of that the extended warranty should cover, considering the cost of any maintenance on the cars.

Thanks once more for the inputs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I agree. I have bought and owned dozens of second hand car, including many lease car, but never a rental.

Jeroen
Thanks Jeroen.

I'll definitely keep that in mind and stay away from the Rental ones.

Last edited by aah78 : 9th October 2019 at 00:30. Reason: Posts merged. Quote trimmed. Please use QUOTE+/MULTI-QUOTE when responding to multiple posts.
Old 8th October 2019, 23:49   #6287
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I agree. I have bought and owned dozens of second hand car, including many lease car, but never a rental. Run a mile. there is a reason they are selling them cheap.
I dont like anyone else driving my car and was very skeptical about buying a used vehicle. Early this year, I bought my first used vehicle - 3 year old Civic as I was driving a lot for work. It was a lease return and the person who owned it had driven it for 18,000 miles in 3 years and had maintained it in a top notch condition. So far, I have had good luck with used vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilarni View Post
I was looking at some cars from Enterprise. But I'll stay away from them now.

Thanks for the tip about the extended warranty from manufacturer. Other than the drive train and transmission, is there something I should be aware of that the extended warranty should cover, considering the cost of any maintenance on the cars.

Thanks once more for the inputs
Many dealers sell extended warranties with manufacturer's symbol on the brochure. You have to go through the terms and understand if its underwritten by a third party company. I would not recommend anything which is not directly offered by OEMs. Also do go through the list of components which is being covered and also the deductible which you will pay for every visit.

I don't buy extended warranties for any of my stuff but some extended warranties directly offered by manufacturers (Honda Care, Mopar Care) are well worth the money. Until last Nov, Mopar offered lifetime warranty. I have heard good reviews about their warranty which covers almost all components on the vehicle (except the consumables) for the time until i own the vehicle. I was able to find a online vendor who offered it for a great deal and these were the main reasons why I bought a FCA product.
vj123 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2019, 00:03   #6288
BHPian

Quote:
I just feel I am complicating it for myself .
With so many cars, and its variants available, it is a complicated decision indeed. On top of that if you add color and engine preferences, it is a ton of options to sort through - even after leaving the cost factor out of the equation. For most people it is the biggest purchase after their home. So, it would be a big factor as well.

To simplify things, make sure you have ample time to look for a car. If you are shopping for the primary car, get a rental car and renew it every week till you find the perfect car. And yes, do not buy rental cars.

If you feel you are stretching your budget to the limits, get a car that is still under warranty, that way you are covered if there is a big surprise. Several years back, I bought a 2 year old Saab under warranty with very few miles, and the GPS broke within a week. They replaced the entire unit on the dash for free, the downside for me was that I was without a car for more than a week. No wonder Saab went out of business. With modern used euro cars, you need to be prepared for such downtime.

If possible, narrow things down to one/two models at a time - like BMW X5 35i. List all available cars within 150 miles, and create a spreadsheet of not more than 5 cars. Then go see the top 3 on your list.

If you do not have the time, and you are too wary of any possible downtime, you are better off with a RX350 or an MDX. I read today that Infiniti is in a world of trouble sales down 60% on some models, you may be able to score a great deal on a new one.

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 9th October 2019 at 00:05.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2019, 01:54   #6289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
With so many cars, and its variants available, it is a complicated decision indeed. On top of that if you add color and engine preferences, it is a ton of options to sort through
It sure is getting more complex that I actually envisioned

Quote:
If you are shopping for the primary car, get a rental car and renew it every week till you find the perfect car.
This will be the second car. I presently drive a 2016 Honda Accord with the H-Sensing. That was a new car purchase. I am thinking about trading that in.

I am so used to the Adaptive Cruise Control and the Lane Keep Assist that actually centers the car, that I want those features in the new car that I plan on buying. The features mentioned on the brochures don't explicitly state if its just a warning indicator or the car actually centers itself.

Quote:
If possible, narrow things down to one/two models at a time - like BMW X5 35i. List all available cars within 150 miles, and create a spreadsheet of not more than 5 cars. Then go see the top 3 on your list.
I have started putting things on an Excel file. The good fun is, by the time I go back to check something, that car is sold. At times, I feel as if I am the slowest in taking a decision.

Quote:
I read today that Infiniti is in a world of trouble sales down 60% on some models, you may be able to score a great deal on a new one.
I was also looking the QX50, but was not sure about it. Do you recommend giving it a closer look?
Old 9th October 2019, 21:34   #6290
BHPian

Quote:
I was also looking the QX50, but was not sure about it. Do you recommend giving it a closer look?
I like the QX60, for the V6 and 3rd row seating. QX50 has a 2L turbo, and feels buzzy on the freeway ramps. If you are going to add a cargo box on the top, bicycles in the back, and load it with 5 people, QX60 is preferable.

Also if you are going to let go of the car in 3 years like your Accord, you could look into the costs and constraints of leasing.
Old 9th October 2019, 22:00   #6291
BHPian

Quote:
It sure is getting more complex that I actually envisioned

This will be the second car. I presently drive a 2016 Honda Accord with the H-Sensing. That was a new car purchase. I am thinking about trading that in.
I recently purchased a 2016 CPO MDX. I paid $29.5k drive out price here in Texas for my car. It comes with all the bells and whistles except the SH-AWD. The decision which went in favor of MDX over the BMW X3 and Lexus RX350 is the usability of the vehicle. X3 was very tight on space for 4 adults + Child Seat. RX350 trunk is very small compared to other cars in its segment. MDX 3rd row is not usable for long drives. But will be sufficient for around town runs.

If I don't have the comfortable seating constraint, I would have definitely picked up X3 over any of these options. If you really find a very good used vehicle then go and grab as soon as possible. By the time you think and decide, the car will be gone. Try to avoid the X5 with Air Suspension. As much as you would love it, it will cost a bomb to fix it if breaks. My rider friend had a bad experience with his GLS recently. BTW, You will loose good amount of money on that Accord as well.

Infinity QX50 comes with Variable compression turbo. So no one knows the reliability of that engine in long term. Also most of the transmissions in Infiniti lineup are CVT which is really boring.

Last edited by hema4saran : 9th October 2019 at 22:07.
hema4saran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2019, 19:09   #6292
BHPian

My 2 cents from my experience on getting a used one from a private seller. Once you decided, get a letter stating intend to sell which the banks give as part of loan arrangement. I had a bad experience once when I was looking for used car. I found a CR-V which was in a decent condition. Seller agreed to give me and i started loan processing. My credit score was checked and it was a hard pull. By the time it was approved, the seller found another buyer who paid in cash and I lost the deal.

Last edited by aah78 : 15th October 2019 at 18:15. Reason: Typos.
Old 18th October 2019, 15:21   #6293
BHPian

Any inputs and direction on buying a Subaru Outback.

I recently got a rental 2019 Outback when I went on a Seattle + Portland ( Canyons and Lakes ) visit.

I personally liked the vehicle with the space and driving comfort. The power seemed good. I am a sedate driver not looking at gunning the engine though.

But that's as much as I could get based on my 2000 mile drive.

It definitely was more comfortable to drive than a sedan with a slightly higher seating position and road visibility etc.

I am looking at pointers in

1. New vs CPO ( not older than 2017 models ) . I want that Eye-Sight feature
2. Average maintenance cost
3. General Indicators on Insurance ( does it drastically increase or decrease ) . I was told that Subaru's generally have lower insurance
4. Anything that I should be aware of, of this car.
5. 2.5 vs 3.6R
6. Any recommended Trim Level

Advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 18th October 2019, 17:16   #6294
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
All I've heard is that Subarus run forever (as long as you follow the recommended service intervals). Nothing fancy & won't WOW you but very reliable - unlimited peace of mind.

Family & friends own(ed) a mixture of Outbacks & Foresters, & while some are still driving them, others sold them just because they got bored and wanted a change.

Of-course, this is what I've heard & there will be some people with bad experiences.
aah78 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2019, 09:35   #6295
BHPian

Quote:

I personally liked the vehicle with the space and driving comfort. The power seemed good. I am a sedate driver not looking at gunning the engine though.

But that's as much as I could get based on my 2000 mile drive.

It definitely was more comfortable to drive than a sedan with a slightly higher seating position and road visibility etc.
You cannot go wrong with a Subaru. Get the one with 3.6 v6 so that you might get that extra whoomp of power whenever needed. And also their AWD system is legendary and best in market for the money you pay. Just see the number of Subaru's in snowing areas in US. Subaru got rid of that v6 engine from 2020 model year. So if you need one, you need to go for CPO model only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
All I've heard is that Subarus run forever (as long as you follow the recommended service intervals). Nothing fancy & won't WOW you but very reliable - unlimited peace of mind.

Of-course, this is what I've heard & there will be some people with bad experiences.
+1. They are built to run. My American manager once said, the Subaru Forester/Outback models are the LandCruiser of the common man.
hema4saran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2019, 18:09   #6296
BHPian

Hi T-Bhpians,

I zeroed in on the X3 ( 2017 ) and went in to test a CPO at a BMW dealer. The dealer showed me some Courtesy / loaner Vehicles which were 2019 models and had some decent discounts and were even more impressive to drive along with the additional bells and whistles.

Looking at advice on the Courtesy Vehicles and any advice from members who might have gone in for a courtesy vehicle.

Also, any advice on an equivalent MB model, what model and engine trim and advice on what I should keep in mind. My wife is inclined towards the Benz.
Old 28th October 2019, 18:32   #6297
BHPian

Quote:
Hi T-Bhpians,

I zeroed in on the X3 ( 2017 ) and went in to test a CPO at a BMW dealer. The dealer showed me some Courtesy / loaner Vehicles which were 2019 models and had some decent discounts and were even more impressive to drive along with the additional bells and whistles.

Looking at advice on the Courtesy Vehicles and any advice from members who might have gone in for a courtesy vehicle.
Dealership loaner vehicles would have been used by different people just like rental vehicles. Dealer might have changed engine oil and cleaned the vehicle before every drive. But most people drive loaner vehicles as they stole it and its highly unlikely that they would have even warmed up the engine before flooring.

There is a reason why dealership if offering good discounts on those and highly motivated to sell them. Personally, i would stay away from them.
vj123 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2019, 19:05   #6298
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Also, any advice on an equivalent MB model, what model and engine trim and advice on what I should keep in mind.
Actually, going in for a courtesy / loaner vehicle is not a bad idea.
Dealerships don't usually keep these cars long term as they are basically used to lure owners toward newer models.
So in most cases, you do end up getting a newer & pretty well equipped car at a lower price.
I have not purchased a CPO, or a courtesy car myself but some of my friends have - different brands & none I know has had any big issues.

Regarding model & engine trims the BMW X3 & Mercedes-Benz GLC are competing models (throwing the Audi Q5 into the mix).

If driving is mainly within the city with short highway stints then the 2.0l turbo 4-cyl will be more than sufficient, else of-course the 3.0l turbo 6-cyl is a peach & a pleasure to drive.
The smaller engine is not bad at all but it is a little bit rough.

[I think after 2018/19 you're pretty much limited to 2.0l turbo 4-cylinder engines with a little more BHP & torque than their previous versions, unless you want to shell more for the higher specced M, or AMG variants.]
aah78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2019, 19:56   #6299
BHPian

Quote:
Actually, going in for a courtesy / loaner vehicle is not a bad idea.
Dealerships don't usually keep these cars long term as they are basically used to lure owners toward newer models.
So in most cases, you do end up getting a newer & pretty well equipped car at a lower price.
Thank you for the info. The courtesy 2019 X3 felt way more classier than the 2017, including the infotainment screen and the cabin's controls and dials. There was a notable difference in the cabin sound, seats comfort and all between the 2017 and 2019. The 2019 felt really good.

Anything in the warranty that I should be aware of, if there is a difference between what is offered to a "New" vs " Courtesy" vehicle owner, that I might want to make sure its covered.

Out of curiosity, does the added miles and not being a showroom qualified new vehicle have any impact or bearing on the insurance, since the courtesy vehicles are technically not "new"

Quote:
Regarding model & engine trims the BMW X3 & Mercedes-Benz GLC are competing models (throwing the Audi Q5 into the mix).
I thought the GLEs was more in line with the X3's vehicle category. I thought the GLC was class below. Thanks for the info. I'll look up the GLCs

Quote:
If driving is mainly within the city with short highway stints then the 2.0l turbo 4-cyl will be more than sufficient, else of-course the 3.0l turbo 6-cyl is a peach & a pleasure to drive.
The smaller engine is not bad at all but it is a little bit rough.

[I think after 2018/19 you're pretty much limited to 2.0l turbo 4-cylinder engines with a little more BHP & torque than their previous versions, unless you want to shell more for the higher specced M, or AMG variants.]
I am more of a sedate driver, cruise control on the highways. Driving comfort is more important to me. My only real acceleration would be getting on the On-Ramp or something. M or AMG is way too expensive to buy and maintain.

I guess I am limited to the 2L Turbo engine options from BMW.

And I just love this forum for the tips and help from experts like you. Unbiased, Honest and Helpful.
Old 28th October 2019, 20:33   #6300
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Anything in the warranty that I should be aware of, if there is a difference between what is offered to a "New" vs " Courtesy" vehicle owner, that I might want to make sure its covered.
The new car warranty goes into effect once a car is in service.
I'm not entirely sure about this but you'll probably continue with a reduced term new car warranty on a courtesy car depending on how old the car is & how many miles are on the odo.
On a CPO car, they have a different CPO warranty that's not a bumper-bumper warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilarni
Out of curiosity, does the added miles and not being a showroom qualified new vehicle have any impact or bearing on the insurance, since the courtesy vehicles are technically not "new"
Your insurance rates shouldn't be affected very much new / used cars since the specs you are considering are pretty similar, & the model years are just a year or so apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilarni
I thought the GLEs was more in line with the X3's vehicle category. I thought the GLC was class below.
Not a comprehensive list but in general:
  • Audi Q3 = BMW X1 = Mercedes-Benz GLA
  • Audi Q5 = BMW X3 = Mercedes-Benz GLC
  • Audi Q7 = BMW X5 = Mercedes-Benz GLE
  • Audi Q8 = BMW X7 = Mercedes-Benz GLS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilarnj
And I just love this forum for the tips and help
You're welcome, though I'm not even close to being an expert, mostly just someone who's made (& keeps making) a lot of mistakes. There are a lot more members who are truely knowledgeable about this kind of stuff.
aah78 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks