Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2023, 08:41   #1
BANNED

Which car can replace our Toyota Innova?

Greetings BHPians,

Having recently sold my Innova, I'm on the lookout for a new car. Let me start of by saying that this isn't a conventional what car thread. As they say, only an Innova can replace an Innova and my family is no exception from this saying. However, Hycross being our top priority, we aren't able to explore other cars with as open a mind.
My query today is, keeping Hycross aside, what other cars can be considered?

Requirements:
Fuel - We are open to both Diesel and Petrol as well as Hybrids.
Transmission - Dad is inclined towards automatic but I personally want a manual as I'm about to turn 18 in a year and few months and I'd love to drive stick shift.
Body type - Preferably SUV, but open to sedans as well.
Budget - 25 Lakhs +/- 10% OTR
Length - Longer than 4.5 metres

Cars not considered:
VAG twins (Taigun and Kushaq) due to less cabin space
Kia Seltos - Poor safety
MG Hector and Hector plus - Poor MG reliability and ugly front design
Tata Safari and Harrier - Poor reliability again

Cars in consideration: (In order from most to least preferred)
Toyota Innova Hycross
Honda City
Skoda Slavia
Mahindra Scorpio
Mahindra Thar
Hyundai Creta
Mahindra XUV7OO

Should I stick with the Hycross or explore other options. Feel free to suggest any car I've missed out.
Thanks.
Roadster101 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th March 2023, 16:21   #2

re: Which car can replace our Toyota Innova?

Since you are considering sedans, it implies that you don't need a 7/8 seater strictly like the Innova.

Creta, Thar, City and Slavia can in no way 'replace' the Innova. Leaves you with ScorpioN(seriously hope you're not talking about the Classic), XUV700 and Hycross.

Basis few reviews, Hycross does not seem appealing enough to those who own a Crysta. This thread nowhere mentions Crysta, so I assume you owned one of the models upto 2015. Thus, you should definitely consider Hycross.

Mahindra has upped their game and hit it outta the park with the XUV700. I personally, am not a fan of too many gizmos and creature comforts on cars. An indestructible machine like the Innova is just what I like. AX5 variant seems like a sweet choice and an even sweeter deal if you feel the same.

Do check out the Compass!

PS- Not clear from the thread whether you own a Crysta. If not, it has been relaunched and truly deserves all the attention. Enjoy it while it lasts!

Cheers.
jai_asnani98 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th March 2023, 20:51   #3

You missed an important car. Hyundai Alcazar in this segment.
I would really recommend that don't go for Hyundai Diesel engines because they have oil Dilution issue. however their Petrol engines are good.
Personally I like the shape and interiors of the car. Hyundai is amazing at designing cars.
CretaKumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2023, 21:01   #4
BHPian

Kia Carnival! The only car that can replace an Innova is a bigger Innova. I haven't driven the car, but crazy road presence. The rear seats look absolutely comfy. It's a true step up from the Innova.

Also consider the mg Hector, but it has several shortcomings. XUV 700 is the best car you can get, provided you can even get one.

Octavia and Superb are your go to sedan alternatives.
hrk997 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th March 2023, 22:20   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

25L + 10% only gets you the non hybrid HyCross. The base VX trim of the hybrid costs over 30L on road. Unless you are looking for a car specifically to ferry 6 or 7 adults, there are better options to be had. Scorpio, Thar etc are also not going to cut it.

You should take a good hard look at the Honda City hybrid. It has the space, the comfort, the performance, the premium ambience, the reliability and the feel good factor + street cred, everything you are looking for. It is totally future proof for Delhi NCR, and meets your budget as well. This should be your top choice.

Another car you should consider is the Hyundai Alcazar, in the new 1.5 turbo petrol guise.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 06:35   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jai_asnani98 View Post
Leaves you with ScorpioN(seriously hope you're not talking about the Classic), XUV700 and Hycross.

This thread nowhere mentions Crysta, so I assume you owned one of the models upto 2015. Thus, you should definitely consider Hycross.

Mahindra has upped their game and hit it outta the park with the XUV700.

Do check out the Compass!
Yes, Im talking about Scorpio N.
Your assumption is write, I had the first gen Innova. Not the Crysta.

XUV7OO is a great car, but I personally am not a fan of the design approach of the car. I do have to take a TD of the petrol engine, maybe after that Ill able to make an informed decision

About the Compass, I fear Jeep will leave India the same way Ford and Chevy did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CretaKumar View Post
Not a fan of Alcaraz at all. In the alternate options I mentioned above, each car had something which for me was missing in the Hycross but in the case of Alcaraz I dont find a solid reason to spend 2 million on it than a Hycross.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrk997 View Post
Kia Carnival!

Also consider the mg Hector, but it has several shortcomings. XUV 700 is the best car you can get, provided you can even get one.

Octavia and Superb are your go to sedan alternatives.
Kia Carnival, Octavia and Superb all exceed my budget. The max I could stretch it to would be around 27-28 but the three options given above cost a couple more lakhs over the 3 million mark.

The case in MG Hector is that the car appeals to me but I'd rather keep my distance from the MG brand due to poor reliability issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
25L + 10% only gets you the non hybrid HyCross. The base VX trim of the hybrid costs over 30L on road.

You should take a good hard look at the Honda City hybrid.

Another car you should consider is the Hyundai Alcazar, in the new 1.5 turbo petrol guise.
Although the VX is only a few thousands over our budget (around 27.7L OTR Chd), there's no point of buying hybrid over normal petrol as I would have to drive it a lot to balance out the extra cost im paying for better economy in the long run. 90% of the features that VX has can be added to the GX after purchase.

Even though Honda City is a great product, I cannot wrap my head around the fact that I have to pay 20 big ones for a car I brought for almost half that price not that long ago. Plus mileage isnt that big a concern so I would pick the regular petrol over the hybrid as in the case of Hycross.

Alcazar imo is a seven seat Creta which is a compromise on both the middle and the third row. And not to mention it has the same body shell of the Creta and the Seltos which doesn't exactly make this car safe.
Old 15th March 2023, 10:57   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Which car can replace our Toyota Innova?

Innova Hycross, XUV700 or Carnival would be the best replacements. Want a value for money comfort-mobile? Go for the Hector CVT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CretaKumar View Post
I completely disagree with this recommendation. In their quest to add a 3rd-row to the Creta, Hyundai ruined the 2nd row comfort of the car. As a result, the Alcazar is unimpressive in the 2nd & 3rd rows, both. In fact, the Creta has a better middle row.
GTO is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 11:13   #8
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

You can consider buying a used Toyota Fortuner as it can serve as the best replacement for the Innova, but you might need to look in the used car market within your budget. If not, you can consider the Kia Carnival or the Mahindra XUV500. The XUV500 offers good performance and features, while the Kia Carnival has more space and a premium feel, making it suitable for families.
raptor_diwan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 11:35   #9
BHPian

Your top most option should be a Hycross.

Since Carnival is out of your budget and you do not like the design of XUV7OO and Alcazar, may I suggest you to check out the Kia Carens top-end variant.

If not Hycross, the Carens for me comes the closest in terms of space, comfort, features and interiors. It has and does most of the things that Hycross has at few lakhs lesser.

Last edited by Knightrider : 15th March 2023 at 11:52.
Knightrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 12:28   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster101 View Post

XUV7OO is a great car, but I personally am not a fan of the design approach of the car. I do have to take a TD of the petrol engine, maybe after that Ill able to make an informed decision
You will love the drive of the XUV700 petrol.

Quote:
About the Compass, I fear Jeep will leave India the same way Ford and Chevy did.
Enough obituaries have been written about Jeep, but they are still here. I don’t think they are going anywhere. Their cars have a loyal following, on merit. They sell high margin products. Even their main dealer, Landmark Group, their IPO listed successfully.

Quote:
Not a fan of Alcaraz at all. In the alternate options I mentioned above, each car had something which for me was missing in the Hycross but in the case of Alcaraz I dont find a solid reason to spend 2 million on it than a Hycross.
Alcazar turbo petrol is going to be a way more involving to drive than HyCross. The cabin also looks and feels a lot better. There is much more equipment. And there are no taxi connotations here.

Quote:
Kia Carnival, Octavia and Superb all exceed my budget. The max I could stretch it to would be around 27-28 but the three options given above cost a couple more lakhs over the 3 million mark.
All three are due for being discontinued. No point going for them, they will be massive depreciation disasters.

Quote:
The case in MG Hector is that the car appeals to me but I'd rather keep my distance from the MG brand due to poor reliability issues.
Hector has not had any major or repeated reliability issues. Owners have good things to say about it. The only concern is the low fuel efficiency, which is something people usually know about before getting into it.

Quote:
Although the VX is only a few thousands over our budget (around 27.7L OTR Chd), there's no point of buying hybrid over normal petrol as I would have to drive it a lot to balance out the extra cost im paying for better economy in the long run. 90% of the features that VX has can be added to the GX after purchase.
Damn, you don’t have to pay registration charges on hybrids in Chandigarh. That makes the decision even easier. For the hybrid, you are paying for the refinement, the street cred and the far better driving experience. And the much more equipment, GX to VX. Fuel efficiency is just an added bonus.

Pls understand that a simple 2.0 NA engine paired with a CVT is not going to be a fun drive in any which way. Torque numbers are similar to 1 liter turbo petrols that sell for less than half the price.

Quote:
Even though Honda City is a great product, I cannot wrap my head around the fact that I have to pay 20 big ones for a car I brought for almost half that price not that long ago. Plus mileage isnt that big a concern so I would pick the regular petrol over the hybrid as in the case of Hycross.
As someone who bought a Gen4 City for 10L, I absolutely agree with your premise. Unfortunately, this is the effect of inflation and City still continues to be among the better priced cars in the market. Most other cars are obscenely overpriced, in comparison. Again, for the hybrid, you are paying for the far superior performance, refinement and the street cred that the eHEV badge carries. And the improved suspension. No registration charges makes it an even sweeter deal. Is the hybrid ZX worth a 3L premium over the ZX iVTEC CVT? Absolutely. Even if the running is less. The product is simply better.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 15th March 2023 at 12:33.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th March 2023, 11:04   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster101 View Post
Greetings BHPians,

Should I stick with the Hycross or explore other options. Feel free to suggest any car I've missed out.
Thanks.
- There is no other car in market (till 35 lakhs onroad) which can seat 7 people (comfortably with oodles of space) except Hycross
- Hycross beats many cars in the competition with 0-100 in less than 10 seconds. I own a HYCROSS HYBRID hence telling you from my experience.
- There is pin drop silence inside Hycross and if you compare it with Alcazar's cabin, the center console in Alcazar squeezes and makes annoying noise. There is no such issue in Hycross.
- This is no MG Hector which has rich cabin but dull engine. In Hycross, you get state of the art drive experience, comfort and functional cabin and features.
- TOYOTA INNOVA HYCROSS ownership is far better real life experience then owning A car with a dull engine, delivering an average of 8 kmpl and a rich feel cabin(MG Hector) or a car with a peppy Engine, delivering an average of 8 kmpl(XUV 700 petrol AT) with dissatisfied after sales experience.
- SAFARI has got many complaints of Rusting while Toyota vehicles never get such issues.

VERDICT: Go and get Hycross Hybrid VX or VXO and you will never be disappointed.
Peace of Mind matters a lot because one purchases the car once but the same person has to deal with Service team multiple times during his ownership. So be mindful of this fact !
Paritoshkalra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2023, 11:51   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paritoshkalra View Post
-
Peace of Mind matters a lot because
Peace of mind has become a bit of a question mark with the HyCross. Simply because the car is not E20 materials compliant. That’s a big miss and something which can potentially cause a lot of trouble.

Had Toyota openly declared this new launch to be E20 ready, the car would have been an absolute no brainer. Pick me blindly. Unfortunately, they have chosen to make things a bit complicated for potential buyers. HyCross happens to be the sole new launch that is not E20 materials compliant.

This is where Alcazar scores, the new 1.5 turbo petrol is E20 ready.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 19th March 2023 at 11:53.
Old 19th March 2023, 12:14   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Peace of mind has become a bit of a question mark with the HyCross. Simply because the car is not E20 materials compliant. That’s a big miss and something which can potentially cause a lot of trouble.

Had Toyota openly declared this new launch to be E20 ready, the car would have been an absolute no brainer. Pick me blindly. Unfortunately, they have chosen to make things a bit complicated for potential buyers. HyCross happens to be the sole new launch that is not E20 materials compliant.

This is where Alcazar scores, the new 1.5 turbo petrol is E20 ready.
Mr. Vikram Gulati, country head and SVP of Toyota said, “We test our vehicles in the roughest conditions and engineer them to operate reliably beyond our customer’s expectations. Because of that initial engineering effort we have put in, you can run any of our cars from 2013 or later on E20 fuel without any problems for the rest of the vehicle life.”

Please read this article.

https://www.v3cars.com/news/all-toyo...-e20-flex-fuel

Last edited by Paritoshkalra : 19th March 2023 at 12:17.
Old 19th March 2023, 12:42   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paritoshkalra View Post
Mr. Vikram Gulati, country head and SVP of Toyota said, “We test our vehicles in the roughest conditions and engineer them to operate reliably beyond our customer’s expectations. Because of that initial engineering effort we have put in, you can run any of our cars from 2013 or later on E20 fuel without any problems for the rest of the vehicle life.”
Recently, the SVWAPL CEO also made a similar statement. There too, it was a similar thing - CEO said E20 ready but all markings on the car said E10, owner’s manual also said max E10. Ultimately, these are new launches and and the specifications are clearly mentioned in writing in the manual. What is stopping these companies from issuing an official press release to conclusively clear this point? They keep issuing press releases for every little thing, why not this? Why this vagueness?

It is one thing for a CEO or any senior official to make a claim. Issuing an official press release is something else entirely.

Credit to Hyundai, Maruti and Tata for being transparent about this.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 19th March 2023 at 12:51.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 21:04   #15
BHPian

Well, I must say I find that quite interesting. You mentioned that the Kia Seltos didn't quite make the cut in terms of safety, but it's interesting that you're considering its cousin, the Hyundai Creta. As a matter of fact, did you know that the Creta and Seltos are essentially the same car, just with different branding?
Caffeinated_Owl is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed