Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2023, 10:41   #1
BHPian

Go with the proven or wait for the new hotness - Tata Nexon

Dear esteemed members-

I am in a heavy dilemma and would love to hear all of your opinions to make an informed decision. I have just booked a Tata Nexon Petrol Automatic XMAS variant. We all know that Tata is gearing up for “something” in the Nexon timeline for the coming months. Here is the quagmire:

1. I am eking out every last rupee I can of my budget to arrive at the perfect compromise of available and missing features.

2. My wife won’t let go of the sunroof and I wont miss out on automatic transmission. This eliminates maximum cars except the XMAS variant Nexon at 11lakhs OTR.

3. I will be sacrificing other should-have features like cruise control, rear defogger and front armrest.

4. It is a tried and tested product by Tata which has eliminated most of the niggles.

Now Tata has been testing and teasing a new “iteration” of the Nexon which will come out anytime by next 4 months. The sales executives have no knowledge of this and no dealer training have been done for them. Here is the current picture-

1. We donot know at this point if this is a next gen Nexon or merely a facelift.

2. If it is a facelift, why the full camouflage and not just a covering up of front and rear bumper?

3. Will this make a current Nexon totally obsolete? Will this come with a new quantum engine with a zillion horsepower? And given the Tata track record, will this quantum engine be full of nightmares or will be bulletproof from day 1?

4. What if Tata decides to copy an XUV 700 and add 50” Tv screen dash from the base model?How much reliable will that be?

5. Most importantly, what if Tata decides to yank this peculiar variant XMAS from line up where they donot provide a reverse camera but do come with sunroof? Where will I go with my paltry 11 lakh budget?

6. On the other hand, if I take delivery of the current Nexon, will I look like an Idiot who buys a new car and it becomes Old in less than a month?

TL DR version guys, what should I do? Wait for the new Nexon or grab the one which is alotted to me in next month or so? The automatic also has a waiting period of atleast 3 months but the dealer has promised delivery by mid - May. Its a Tata dealer. I dont trust him.

Thanks.

Mods please merge the post in the relevant thread if applicable.
Vkap257 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th April 2023, 09:51   #2
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Go with the proven or wait for the new hotness - Tata Nexon

Coming to your query, Do you need an SUV in the first place? Would a hatchback or sedan suffice? Next, is the sunroof an absolute necessity?

If an SUV is not a necessity, I would suggest you look at other options from the hatchback segment like the i20, Baleno, Altroz, etc, or even a sedan like the Amaze. If an SUV is what your heart wants and if you are able to compromise on the sunroof, the Nissan Magnite CVT or the upcoming Maruti Fronx (which is a crossover) can be considered.

Else, if you can't compromise on both SUV and sunroof, the Nexon XMA(S) is your only option, and you could go for it. The only caveat is the upcoming Next-gen/facelift Nexon which should most probably be powered by the new 1.2-liter engine producing 125 bhp of power and 225 nm of torque which would be mostly mated to a new automatic transmission as well (most probably a DCA), hence prices are bound to rise, so in all possibility either you go for the current gen Nexon and get your car for 11 lakhs or you wait and get the New Nexon which would definitely cost more considering the updates.
bijims is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th April 2023, 10:43   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijims View Post
Coming to your query, Do you need an SUV in the first place? Would a hatchback or sedan suffice? Next, is the sunroof an absolute necessity?
Dear sir,

Yes it is a heart over head decision and the primary demand of my better half. I feel like if I am paying a million bucks, I better satisfy my heart. I also cannot compromise on the automatic transmission requirement. Wife does not want to replace a hatchback with a hatchback.

The first showroom I went to in order to start my search was the Renault dealership. I test drove the 5000 km run AMT Kiger and it thrummed harder than a NSFW toy. Was rejected then and there. I also test drove the CVT turbo version which was remarkably better. But there was always something off with both the cars. The armrest was not closing, the door locks malfunctioned, the car overall had a vibe that it was held together by zip-ties. All things considered, it was a smaller car than the Nexon and hence was rejected.

The Aura does not have Isofix hooks in the back seats and I want to punch that particular bean counter who took that decision. The Amaze CVT looks puny somehow for the price.
Vkap257 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th April 2023, 11:51   #4
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vkap257 View Post
Dear sir,

Yes it is a heart over head decision and the primary demand of my better half. I feel like if I am paying a million bucks, I better satisfy my heart. I also cannot compromise on the automatic transmission requirement. Wife does not want to replace a hatchback with a hatchback.

The first showroom I went to in order to start my search was the Renault dealership. I test drove the 5000 km run AMT Kiger and it thrummed harder than a NSFW toy. Was rejected then and there. I also test drove the CVT turbo version which was remarkably better. But there was always something off with both the cars. The armrest was not closing, the door locks malfunctioned, the car overall had a vibe that it was held together by zip-ties. All things considered, it was a smaller car than the Nexon and hence was rejected.

The Aura does not have Isofix hooks in the back seats and I want to punch that particular bean counter who took that decision. The Amaze CVT looks puny somehow for the price.
I can relate to your situation, I too was on the lookout for a car in your budget with a preference towards SUVs, sunroofs were not a requirement however, but within a budget of 12 lakhs in Kerala, The only options in the SUV segment with automatic transmission were the Kiger CVT, Magnite CVT, XUV300 W6 AMT, and Nexon XZA Plus.

The Kiger and the Magnite were rejected by my family citing the same reasons as you had mentioned, whereas the AMT of the XUV300 and the Nexon were the reasons for their rejection by me, then the only option left was to either go for a hatchback or increase the budget and get a better "proper" automatic, so with the increased budget the Brezza, Venue, and Sonet became available and we finally settled on the Sonet, while our close relatives settled on the New Venue and Brezza.

So, in your circumstances, the best option I see is you keep the booking of the Nexon AMT as this is the best car you could get in your budget, and as newer versions and updates of any car are bound to come with a price hike, you should be prepared to increase your budget if the facelift Nexon is what you are after.
bijims is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th April 2023, 12:57   #5
BANNED

Quote:

1. I am eking out every last rupee I can of my budget to arrive at the perfect compromise of available and missing features.
Brother, I assume, you have already verified and discarded other choices on the price range and selected Nexon as the ultimate winner. So, going through your dilemma let me put some ghee into that.

But before that, a friendly advise. Never ignore your wife' preferred feature, how useless or silly they may be, if you need a peaceful drive / life.

If there is a drastic change in features, there will be a drastic difference in cost too. A B2 segment hatch cost near to 14 lac now. I guess you are on a fixed budget here. So that probable most modern car that push existing Nexon to oblivion would cost a bomb too. Are you OK to increase your budget that much?

If answer to above question is "Yes", you can increase your budget now and check the next category which would mitigate many of your "compromises" also.

Harier just got a facelift now, how that is fared against the outgoing one? You can get your hint on the kind of facelift you would get in Tata cars from that.
PetrolRider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2023, 12:59   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
On the other hand, if I take delivery of the current Nexon, will I look like an Idiot who buys a new car and it becomes Old in less than a month?....TL DR version guys, what should I do? Wait for the new Nexon or grab the one which is alotted to me in next month or so? The automatic also has a waiting period of atleast 3 months but the dealer has promised delivery by mid - May. Its a Tata dealer. I dont trust him.
If you don't mind being in an outdated car, then go for the Nexon now as prices will only increase.

If you are going for the diesel manual, then wait for the new model since it looks like just a comprehensive facelfit than a generational change. The diesel won't have a big change mehcanically, but if you are going for the petrol (read new TGDI engine) or DCA (automatic), then wait for the nigles to be solved. Even then, prices will only go up.
DicKy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th April 2023, 13:14   #7
BHPian

Quote:
I have just booked a Tata Nexon Petrol Automatic XMAS variant. We all know that Tata is gearing up for “something” in the Nexon timeline for the coming months.

2. My wife won’t let go of the sunroof and I wont miss out on automatic transmission. This eliminates maximum cars except the XMAS variant Nexon at 11lakhs OTR.

Wait for the new Nexon or grab the one which is alotted to me in next month or so?
Looks like you are on a fixed budget and Nexon XMAS is the best that you will get in that budget considering the must have feature (sunroof) and automatic.

I completely agree with your shortlisted car and variant. I believe Jazz was the only other car that was available in this budget and had a sunroof. So you at least don't have other options to look at.

Looking at the teasers that Tata is posting for last 2 days on their social media pages, the facelift might be launched sooner than we anticipated. So there are high chances you will come to know about the facelift before the delivery of your Nexon. But do note that the facelift will be more expensive than the current one.
Knightrider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2023, 13:58   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post

If there is a drastic change in features, there will be a drastic difference in cost too. A B2 segment hatch cost near to 14 lac now. I guess you are on a fixed budget here. So that probable most modern car that push existing Nexon to oblivion would cost a bomb too. Are you OK to increase your budget that much?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
If you don't mind being in an outdated car, then go for the Nexon now as prices will only increase.

The diesel won't have a big change mehcanically, but if you are going for the petrol (read new TGDI engine) or DCA (automatic), then wait for the nigles to be solved. Even then, prices will only go up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
Looks like you are on a fixed budget and Nexon XMAS is the best that you will get in that budget considering the must have feature (sunroof) and automatic.

Looking at the teasers that Tata is posting for last 2 days on their social media pages, the facelift might be launched sooner than we anticipated. So there are high chances you will come to know about the facelift before the delivery of your Nexon. But do note that the facelift will be more expensive than the current one.

Thank you all for your insight. Yes the prices will definitely ho up if they add the DCA gearbox into the foray. But will that be so drastic that it will be in Grand Vitara territory? Isn’t the upcoming Curve supposed to be their weapon against the likes of the Creta? I can digest a price hike of 20k but will that rise by 1 lakh rupees? At that point, Wont I be better of with a peaceful TC Brezza?
Vkap257 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2023, 16:39   #9
BHPian

Honestly a front armrest is IMHO a much more needed feature than a sunroof.
A sunroof is practically useless feature. Try to make the better half understand that. Else this seems to be your only option
robby0707 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2023, 08:12   #10
BHPian

For a peaceful ownership, refined engine and superior gearbox, increase your budget a bit and go for the brezza automatic.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th April 2023, 10:56   #11
BHPian

Dear Vkap257 - You have a genuine question and I am hoping that majority of car buyers are facing this problem since last 2 years because at 10-12 lacs onroad, there are very few cars / SUVs justifying its price.

Please consider this as someone who bought Nexon between 1st March to 31st March, will they be feeling bad or cheated if facelifted Nexon launch by end April (delivery to start from say mid May or early June). Nexon must have been sold between 12k to 15k in the month of March itself. In my view, with budget constraints, it make sense to buy now as it is likely that new Nexon will be more expensive and may also come with DCA transmission (they may continue with AMT, but I am not sure) and DCA will be significantly more expensive than AMT.

I feel that the facelifted Nexon will not be day-night different than the current one and I feel if you are getting Nexon now (may be with discount of 15k to 20k or more), it make sense to buy now than to wait for 2 to 3 months for facelift and pay 75k to 100k more.

I am hoping that you will keep your Nexon for atleast 5 years or more.

PS - In my view (basis my colleague's experience with Punch AMT), Tata AMT implementation is amongst the worst implementation compared to others i.e. Maruti & Hyundai.
GoBabyGo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2023, 11:24   #12
BHPian

Wait for the Nexon facelift because

1) Better engine with enhanced power figures
2) Redesigned new look
3) Eyesore at the rear most likely be gone
4) If the facelift is out of budget then settle for existing option
Bhokal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2023, 12:52   #13
BHPian

I am in the same boat. This entire long weekend took test drives of XUV 300 W8 (O) manual, Kiger Manual and Kiger CVT, Nexon XZ+(S) manual and AMT.
By far Nexon manual was most comfortable in terms of driving and performance.

I am given to believe from posts here in the forum that facelift is expected by late 2023 or early 2024 and hence trying to buy now. However if it is coming in next two to three months, then I will wait. The problem is the Sales Advisor here in Baroda is not sure when it will come and what is the expected price range (I understand this as no one except the TATA big bosses know). This suspense is actually killing me.
Archisman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2023, 15:57   #14
BHPian

Quote:
4. It is a tried and tested product by Tata which has eliminated most of the niggles.
I doubt this. The reliability of Tata cars is still an unsolved problem. You can find many testimonials of this statement on Team-BHP itself.
Quote:
Now Tata has been testing and teasing a new “iteration” of the Nexon which will come out anytime by next 4 months.
Why do you want to be part of beta testing? That too at higher price point! I guess, you have an answer in your statement itself (new "iteration").

There are many other cars as suggested by fellow members here which can give you peace of mind. I would suggest to add peace of mind to should have feature list before finalizing the car. Happy and peaceful motoring in advance.
On4Wheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2023, 16:14   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Please please wait for the new Nexon. This is a very comprehensive update with a new cabin, heavily revisited styling and possibly a new engine. By all means, this is a new car.

You will not like it if your spanking new 4 month young car becomes an old model.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks