Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2023, 11:14   #1
BHPian

Garage reshuffle | Have 2 Hondas | Tempted by the Seltos 1.5L Turbo

Good afternoon,

We're a family of 3(wife, 3 month old son and myself). My wife doesn't drive and doesn't look like she's keen on changing that just yet.

A short detail about the cars I own. 2017 Honda Jazz V CVT(35000km on the odo) and a pre owned Honda Civic 2019 ZX CVT(12000km on the odo). I purchased the Civic in 2021 as some "JDM" bug had bitten me and was desperate to bring home a Japanese D segment sedan.

Now, I'm contemplating selling both the cars and replacing them with a single car - a new top spec Kia Seltos(GT Line). I have no other cars in my mind and wouldn't want another Honda. Budget is 25 lakhs OTR. It's not that I like the Seltos in any way but it's a near perfect vehicle in the budget I've mentioned and it could fit my requirement - one car for different roles.

Why? Cut costs. The number of highway runs which weren't high in the first place have significantly reduced of late due to various reasons(personal,lower back issues, work etc) and the usage is mostly within city limits. The Jazz is like my 2 wheeler and I take it out for all routine stuff in my neighbourhood. It's used far more extensively than the Civic. I tend to take the Civic out where the roads and parking opportunities are better or at least acceptable. It's simply too hard in Bangalore now.

The barebones Jazz has been totally troublefree and the Civic as well to some extent. Does it make sense to bid goodbye to both of them and bring home a new Seltos? Request your opinions/thoughts/ideas. Thank you.

Last edited by Dead_Pedal : 24th August 2023 at 11:15.
Dead_Pedal is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th August 2023, 11:35   #2
BHPian

re: Garage reshuffle | Have 2 Hondas | Tempted by the Seltos 1.5L Turbo

You can also look at the Sonet. Smaller than the Seltos, but as good. Smaller size will help in the crowded city as well.
toiingg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2023, 12:14   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead_Pedal View Post
We're a family of 3(wife, 3 month old son and myself).

2017 Honda Jazz V CVT(35000km on the odo) and a pre owned Honda Civic 2019 ZX CVT(12000km on the odo).

Now, I'm contemplating selling both the cars and replacing them with a single car - a new top spec Kia Seltos(GT Line). Budget is 25 lakhs OTR. It's not that I like the Seltos in any way but it's a near perfect vehicle in the budget I've mentioned and it could fit my requirement - one car for different roles.

Why? Cut costs. The number of highway runs which weren't high in the first place have significantly reduced of late due to various reasons(personal,lower back issues, work etc) and the usage is mostly within city limits. The Jazz is like my 2 wheeler and I take it out for all routine stuff in my neighbourhood. It's used far more extensively than the Civic. I tend to take the Civic out where the roads and parking opportunities are better or at least acceptable. It's simply too hard in Bangalore now.

The barebones Jazz has been totally troublefree and the Civic as well to some extent. Does it make sense to bid goodbye to both of them and bring home a new Seltos?
35k for Jazz and 12k for Civic is nothing. If the bug for change is stronger, just sell off the Jazz and get an EV for city use. I would suggest to wait for Punch EV. If not EV, get any fun turbo petrol hatch. Keep the Civic for highway trips and longer routes. Regarding Seltos, its a good car with all the features you could imagine in a car but I would never suggest it for the replacement of Jazz and Civic and major reason being the Safety. Why selling off safer cars for less safe car?

Does it make sense to bid goodbye to both of them and bring home a new Seltos?
A firm NO from my side. Assuming Parking is not an issue and bad back is not the reason for the thought of selling Civic.

Why? Cut costs.
You have 2 reliable Japanese workhorses in your garage, I don't think selling them off for a single Korean machine would make you save much. (We have Grand i10, Creta and Fluidic Verna in close family)

P.S - I own Corolla Altis (77K) and WagonR (98k), few months back I had a strong itch to replace Altis. Test drove XL6, Seltos (pre-facelift), ScorpioN, Grand Vitara, and Safari. Our first priority was of course Toyota (Hycross or Crysta, as Hyryder was ruled out after GV test drive) but the welcome and sub sequent treatment we got at Toyota Showroom made us drop "new" Toyota from our list. After all the test drives, dropped the purchase plan and decided to keep using Altis.
JJay is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th August 2023, 12:21   #4
BHPian

Hi, had I been in your place I would have sold the Jazz and kept the Civic for long drives. In place of Jazz I would have bought a compact EV for city drives. This would have helped me to cater for almost all sorts of drive scenarios.
Kkumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2023, 18:12   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

IMHO, both your cars are still good and have a lot of life left in them. But it does look like the new car bug has bit you. If I were in your place, I'd sell the Jazz as due to high new car prices, you'll probably still get a fair price for it in the used marketplace. Especially in Bangalore where there is demand for good ATs.

Keep the Civic CVT. It's a damn competent car and there are few like it today. Sell the Jazz and buy a fun 2nd car, whether the Seltos or something else. But some considerations before you decide:

1. You seem sold on the Seltos. But have you taken a long test-drive? Sometimes, a car might have gotten rave reviews, but it may or may not be for you. Has happened with me a couple of times. Take a long TD.

2. How much money would you get for the Civic? Have you gotten evaluations done from dealers & startups? Can you keep the Civic & buy a new fun car? If yes, good. If not, then sell the Civic only if you get a really great price for it. The current state of the used car market might work in your favour.

Last edited by GTO : 24th August 2023 at 18:14.
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 24th August 2023, 20:43   #6
BHPian

Re: Garage reshuffle | Have 2 Hondas | Tempted by the Seltos 1.5L Turbo

Quote:
The barebones Jazz has been totally trouble-free and the Civic as well to some extent.
To what extent is the Civic is trouble free? If the Civic is well maintained and is in good condition then it would be a shame to let go of such a fun car.
Only if you have a budget concern or any internal issue bothering you then sell off the Civic along with Jazz. Or else keep the Civic and let the Jazz go.

Now coming to the new car, Seltos is not a bad choice at all. It comes with all bell and whistles a car has to offer in its segment and so is its twin Creta. Drive both for long rides and then decide (long test drives matter as you will be in a better spot to decide which treats your back better)

An alternate for Jazz would be Kia Carens in case you still need 7 seats.

I would have suggested Hyryder or Grand Vitara in terms of practicality in city however after driving Civic, it would definitely disappoint you in terms of pick up (if that matters).

Note: Compact EV is good but with a kid in the family I would not recommend it. The reason is simple. If you plan for a outstation trip which you will then it would be a constant work to see where or when you need to charge next. It might not favorable for you or your kid in case you need to charge for hours in between you trip to somewhere.

Happy hunting

Last edited by OpenRoads : 24th August 2023 at 20:49. Reason: Added additional point on EV
OpenRoads is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2023, 20:49   #7
BHPian

If I were you, I'd just replace the Jazz with Seltos and keep the Civic for fun rides.

Cars like Civic doesn't come anymore and I suggest you to keep it as its relatively new even if you buy a Seltos.
car_guy1998 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2023, 10:44   #8
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Keep Civic and get something like Tiago EV or MG Comet for city errands. Well maintainced Civic can easily serve you for over a decade
sunilarkt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2023, 12:08   #9
BHPian

I have been drifting on and off a similar thought process. I would recommend maintaining status quo. Keep both the cars and continue to use them as you have been doing so far as both have enough life left in them. Selling the Jazz (trouble free car) and buying an EV or another ICE car will not be financially prudent.
Zen Av8r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2023, 14:21   #10
BHPian

Thanks for the inputs everyone. It's more of a mind over heart thing. The only reason I'm considering a change is to have only one car in the garage. It's hard to part ways with either car(Civic for what it is and Jazz for doing it's job without any fuss). Phew, I've got a lot of thinking to do. :(
Dead_Pedal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2023, 15:34   #11

I currently own a 10th gen Honda Civic zx petrol too, with only about 6,000km on the odo. That JDM bug has always been in my family and passed on to me, have only owned Honda cars for last 25 years.
Civic is excellent D segment sedan, products like these don't exist anymore in India. I always fall short of words for this car. It has all things one could wish for in terms of built quality, refinement, safety, modern feel. The only negative being FE in city or slow driving conditions. But that i think is the case with most NA petrol auto cars. The civic was called overpriced when launched. But irony is, in today's car market we are spending 20-25 lakhs for a segment below.
xxhtxx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2023, 21:05   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxhtxx View Post
But irony is, in today's car market we are spending 20-25 lakhs for a segment below.
Absolutely! Top spec Seltos and Virtus are nearly 25 lakh OTR here in Bangalore. How things have changed post C19.
Dead_Pedal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th September 2023, 10:49   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The barebones Jazz has been totally troublefree and the Civic as well to some extent. Does it make sense to bid goodbye to both of them and bring home a new Seltos? Request your opinions/thoughts/ideas. Thank you.
I would go against the tide and suggest that you sell both and get the Seltos. Reasons-

1) Future of Honda looks bleak in India. They recently launched Elevate but it looks like there was no intent of gaining sales, the launch IMO looks like just a half hearted attempt. With sales dropping fast (even current City has lost it's crown to Verna and Virtus), I see a bleak future. Once they exit, the after sales support too would be dicey, and the resale for both your cars will plummet fast.

2) There simply is no "Need" of two cars for you. Seltos can perform both highway and City duties with ease. It also does everything else that Jazz and Civic do, and some more. I believe Kia's aftersales support has been stellar (personal experience), so you are sorted on that front too.

3) Relatively smaller size of Seltos (4.3x M vs 4.6x of Civic), would make parking and driving it easier in crowded Bangalore.

4) Current high used car prices will act in your favor.

Good luck!
07CR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2023, 10:53   #14
BHPian

Quote:

Now, I'm contemplating selling both the cars and replacing them with a single car - a new top spec Kia Seltos(GT Line). I have no other cars in my mind and wouldn't want another Honda. Budget is 25 lakhs OTR. It's not that I like the Seltos in any way but it's a near perfect vehicle in the budget I've mentioned and it could fit my requirement - one car for different roles.
My recommendation would be different from most folks here. Honda civic used to be my first car, a much older model (outside India), followed by an i10 here in Bangalore. Recently, I bought Seltos facelift, GT line. I guess, I can understand your "itch". It seems right to own 2 different cars for different purposes but if you are not clocking at least 50k KMs per year, it doesn't make sense to maintain mulitple cars (unless you are a collector and have a big garage). I personally would not buy a Civic in Bangalore, just can't be bothered about avoiding all bumps and potholes in the city. Also, driving a sedan with the long snout isn't easy. You would realise the ease of driving through traffic if you have driven a small car like an i10. I used to see a BMW (no offence to BWM owners) waiting for minutes to take a U turn, where I could just zip through in my i10.

I have driven my close relative's Jazz and it's a decent car. The new Seltos, on the other hand, is just amazingly comfortable drive. It's loaded with top-notch features. My advice will be to go for it, it will be one car for all your needs. However, if you are ok with slightly lower dimensions, check out Sonet, which has almost all the same features at much less price, the new facelifted Nexon (if fine with Tata brand) or wait for facelifted Creta.

Last edited by jazzy : 12th September 2023 at 10:54.
jazzy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2023, 14:36   #15
Senior - BHPian

Have you done the cost study on loss incurred by selling off 2 sparingly used cars plus the additional cost of buying the new car, and compare it with maintaining status quo for the next 5 years? If not, I would suggest you spend some time doing that calculation before taking the plunge. Have someone act as a "devil's advocate" when you do the calculation to avoid personal bias.
If the numbers are in your favour after the calculation, then go for it.
blackasta is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks