Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2023, 14:31   #1
BHPian

Used Volvo S60 or New Skoda Kushaq 1.5

I had finally settled on the Kushaq 1.5 DSG and the booking for it is imminent. However, the Car Gods have a twisted sense of humour. I've come across a decently maintained used 2018 Volvo S60 diesel that is working out to be the same price as the Kushaq.

If I was anywhere else in India, this would be a no-brainer for me. Since I am in Gurgaon, the NCR rule for diesels would mean I only get 5 years with the Volvo. As a personal preference, I like purchasing things that I know will be used for as long as possible. I don't see myself moving out of Gurgaon in the near future either.

So here's my dilemma: Should I let the heart win and buy the Volvo, and enjoy the experience of a luxury car for the next 5 years or should I let the brain win and enjoy everything the Kushaq has to offer?
BrabarusMark is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th August 2023, 17:18   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Used Volvo S60 or New Skoda Kushaq 1.5

I would stick with the Kushaq. The S60 is a little out of date and has limited boot space. It is a lovely car for a long distance though

Last edited by ajmat : 27th August 2023 at 22:28.
ajmat is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 27th August 2023, 12:01   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The fact that you are in Gurgaon, a used 5-year old diesel car is out of the question. You'll barely be able to use it for 4 - 5 years, before selling it off for peanuts. Get the Kushaq 1.5L, it's a wonderful car to drive.

Make sure you get the max extended warranty available. You'll need it with a Skoda.

Side by side, also TD the Slavia / Virtus sedans. I feel they have better presence (especially the handsome Virtus), although the Kushaq / Taigun undeniably come with the usual crossover advantages.
GTO is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 00:09   #4
BHPian

Volvo S60 does sound good but the luxury tag will also pinch hard during maintenance.

Kushaq is definitely the better choice here and you will enjoy more for years to come.
May I ask what made you decide Kushaq over Taigun?
OpenRoads is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 00:25   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrabarusMark View Post
I've come across a decently maintained used 2018 Volvo S60 diesel that is working out to be the same price as the Kushaq.
Fact is, its not the same price at all. On the one hand, ~Rs. 20L (+/-) is getting you a brand new car with a usable life of at least 15 years. On the other hand you’re getting a 5 year old diesel car with a usable (in NCR) life of 5 years, post which it’ll have a pittance of resale, if anything. Add to that the fact that one will have upkeep costs of a brand new car while the other will have 5 year+ maintenance costs keeping up, there is no parity in these two purchases, barring the minor detail of both costing the same / similar money to acquire up front.

As others have said already, it’s the brand new VAG that makes more sense here. Combined with max warranty, it is undoubtedly the better purchase. I too would recommend having a peak at the Virtus (like GTO said). Amongst the current choice of mediocre looking sedans like the Verna and City, the Virtus stands out with its classy and timeless design in the C+ segment. It should offer more comfort and better practicality too than the Kushaq with its (presumably) bigger boot, better back seat and overall superior driving dynamics thanks to its sedan form factor.
Axe77 is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 02:43   #6
BHPian

Quote:
So here's my dilemma: Should I let the heart win and buy the Volvo, and enjoy the experience of a luxury car for the next 5 years or should I let the brain win and enjoy everything the Kushaq has to offer?
I would second what other members have suggested.

Since you have shortlisted Kushaq 1.5 you are ready to bite the DSG bullet and since you are pondering about s60 you seem to be liking sedans.

Therefore, Get the Virtus 1.5 DSG draped in black. That would make one handsome car and would be a head turner.

You will have your share of fun while driving it or while admiring it parked in your garage.

Since it’s a sedan and a beautiful one at that you can have many customisation option with a VW car both aesthetically and performance wise.

Get it while we still have “affordable” performance sedan out there in a sea of crossovers and SUVs.

Get the maximum possible warranty tho.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Used Volvo S60 or New Skoda Kushaq 1.5-img_5936.jpeg  

Last edited by BleueNinja : 28th August 2023 at 02:53.
BleueNinja is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th August 2023, 03:23   #7
BHPian

I'd like to thank everyone who replied in this thread to talk some sense into me. I agree with all of you in that it makes no sense apart from the cool factor of owning a Volvo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Side by side, also TD the Slavia / Virtus sedans.
One of my earlier ports was about finding a comfortable car for my height. Having seat tested the Slavia, I find my knees are higher than they should be. The Kushaq was more comfortable in this regard. On a related note, I found the seat in the Verna to be slightly better than the Slavia.

I feel this wouldn't have been a concern in the Volvo, with the additional thigh support. I would still need a seat test to confirm, which I think I'll avoid just in case it seduces me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenRoads View Post
May I ask what made you decide Kushaq over Taigun?
Honestly, the Taigan felt a little ordinary compared to the Kushaq. The Skoda does feel a little more premium on the inside and the outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Add to that the fact that one will have upkeep costs of a brand new car while the other will have 5 year+ maintenance costs keeping up, there is no parity in these two purchases, barring the minor detail of both costing the same / similar money to acquire up front.
Maintenance cost is definitely something that I did think about. It would have required quite a bit of financial planning compared to the Skoda but could have been possible. I do agree that the Skoda will be the financially sensible purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleueNinja View Post

since you are pondering about s60 you seem to be liking sedans.
It was more the badge than the body for me
Personally, I prefer the hatchbacks and crossovers even though I drive the family SX4. The S60 could very easily be the V40 for me, but not many deals for those have shown up.
BrabarusMark is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2023, 04:44   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Maintenance cost is definitely something that I did think about. It would have required quite a bit of financial planning compared to the Skoda but could have been possible.
Not commenting against your liking of the Volvo, but that Volvo will ask for higher payments when it comes to replacements. Leave aside other parts, just check the cost of each tyre, compared to that of the Kushaq. Insurance is another one.
condor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2023, 09:28   #9
BHPian

If it was the 2019 or newer Volvo S60, I probably would've recommended you that, being the current generation globally, but this is an older generation altogether, plus Diesel considering you're in NCR.

Get that new car!
Attached Thumbnails
Used Volvo S60 or New Skoda Kushaq 1.5-20230830_235619.jpg  

inwester is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 31st August 2023, 14:43   #10
BHPian

Excuse my ignorance or if the question appears silly. But can the 10 year old diesel rule be circumvented if the second buyer isn't from Delhi? The question is - is it 10 year limit for all cars registered in Delhi via Vin or the rule is relaxed if the car is registered in another state?
Old 31st August 2023, 19:27   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inwester View Post
If it was the 2019 or newer Volvo S60, I probably would've recommended you that, being the current generation globally, but this is an older generation altogether, plus Diesel considering you're in NCR.

Get that new car!
Absolutely. Safe to skip the 2018 S60, as it looks and feels very old compared to the newer generation Volvos.

If you are really keen on S60, you could try and find the current gen S60 used, which only launched in petrol, so no issues with NCR. Looks and feels great, but be wary of fuel consumption and running costs
evolvo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2023, 08:02   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
Excuse my ignorance or if the question appears silly. But can the 10 year old diesel rule be circumvented if the second buyer isn't from Delhi? The question is - is it 10 year limit for all cars registered in Delhi via Vin or the rule is relaxed if the car is registered in another state?
A diesel car which is more than 10 years old (or petrol more than 15) cannot enter or be driven in NCR, whatever state they may be registered in. So, you cannot legally even drive through NCR. The traffic police is within their right to stop and impound such vehicles.

You can sell off the vehicle to another state before the timeline expires, and hence you see old DL cars running in almost all corners of India now. Though these are not registered to that state, but if you want to do things by the book - A diesel vehicle between 10-15 years of age (not beyond 15 years though) can be granted a NOC for registration to be transferred to another state.
Jekyl87 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2023, 08:32   #13
BHPian

For a place like Gurgaon I'll close my eyes and go with something like Kushaq due to its slightly higher GC and ride height. Then this is a brand new vehicle which comes with that feel plus warranty coverage etc. Skoda drives nicely compared to Volvos IMHO. If you want to avoid Kushaq that could be only because its Skoda. So, do a thorough research on Kushaq and Gurgaon dealer.
sgmuser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2023, 17:57   #14
BHPian

Live your life, you have only one. The pleasure of owning a S60 can never be matched by a Kushaq. The car scene is changing fast. 5 years down the line there may way better options/ hybrids/ EVs. But this is your last chance to own a S60. If finance is non a constrain go ahead.
bravo82in is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st September 2023, 19:26   #15
BHPian

They don't make cars like that anymore. I would have picked the S60 but after a double thorough paid professional check. The NGT chief has changed iirc, there may be hope, light at the end of the tunnel

In NCR servicing an untampered, stock car has never been a real problem. There are competent mechs out there for routine service too. Get it! Best of luck ��
lapis_lazuli is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks