Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Does it make sense to buy a Ford Figo in 2023 ?
Yes 69 48.94%
No, look for other options 72 51.06%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2023, 16:20   #1
BHPian

Does it make sense to buy a Ford Figo in 2023?

As cringey as it may sound, I've always had the need for speed. In gear acceleration, driving dynamics, 0-100 times are the things I've primarily looked for in cars(and bikes) whenever reading reviews. Things like wireless Android Auto/Apple CarPlay, auto headlamps, wipers, heated/ventilated seats never fascinated me. Don't get me wrong, these are definitely good to have features but are they a priority for me when making a car purchase ? A big NO. The problem is, none of the cars in my family could ever satiate the so called petrolhead in me. So now that I've shared my sob story, let me give you a brief history of the cars my family has owned and I myself have driven extensively.

1. Honda City GXi (2005-present, 1.3L kms and still running strong, the family's beater) - Been on numerous long distance road trips in this car, have a soft spot for it especially because I learnt driving in it.
Pros - smooth, tractable engine (77hp iDSI is weak by today's standards, definitely feels underpowered now), comfortable seats, huge boot, good ergonomics, well laid out cabin, decent interiors
Cons - wallowy suspension, completely devoid of torque, not being the iVTEC, you have to keep the A pedal pushed to death if you want it to move quick

2. XUV500 W8 AWD (2013-2022, 93k kms) - Was an impulsive purchase, just because my mom 'liked how it looks' and she wanted a 7 seater for family trips.
Pros - impressive engine, very very refined for a diesel SUV although 140hp/320Nm is ordinary by today's standards, feature loaded, insane 2nd row space, value for money, interiors held up well in 8˝yrs of rough use. It was my first time driving a diesel and the torque just blew me away, the only car we've owned which has given me that 'kick'.
Cons - bouncy suspension, notchy 1st gear, non existent boot with the third row up, just bulky to drive in a city with narrow roads (not the car's fault, I know)

3. Honda City ZX CVT (2021-present) - bought it as a replacement for the XUV as nobody liked driving it, too bulky for narrow city roads, manual transmission was a pain, and the old City was just, you know, old.
Pros - looks elegant, decent interiors, spacious enough, good ergonomics, big boot, decent engine, decent features, smooth CVT, extremely fuel efficient when driven sanely, suspension good for city roads
Cons - high speed ride not confidence inspiring, NA petrol requires one to stay in the top end for extracting performance, weak low and mid range, mediocre NVH, unpleasant cost cutting like no wheel well cladding, exposed HVAC piping in glovebox, exposed wiring in the boot, some hard plastics.

Like every other car, my family cars have their own pros and cons but I've enjoyed them to the fullest because that's what driving is to me, an escape. As you can clearly see from the list above, no car has given me the 'thrills' of driving yet, what we know as an adrenaline rush. For the adrenaline rush part of it, I bought a 2018 KTM Duke 390 and my god, what an experience. Just imagine the step up in performance after living with such sober cars all these years. Yes, the two wheeler need for speed is somewhat fulfilled but what still remains is the four wheeler part of it. I love riding and driving equally and would love to experience a powerful car now. Now that I'm capable of putting some money for that, I'd love to hear your suggestions. I always wanted my first car to be a brand new one but unfortunately, due to other financial commitments, it is a bit tough to make that happen right now so the pre owned route is the way to go.

What my requirements are - preferably diesel, reasonably powerful, good driving dynamics, solid build, mod friendly, good service network/easy to service at an FNG, maintenance and spares not too heavy on the pocket

What I don't care about - resale value, interior/boot space, tech features (I don't want a 50inch ICE with 360° cameras or ADAS or self levelling suspension or adaptive laser lights or the car wishing me a happy birthday)

As per my requirements, the car which made the cut is - the Ford Figo. Yes I know Ford is no more, the already existing car wasn't the complete package, it didn't sell as well as it should've. Purely from reading and watching reviews, I know that the diesel engine is a gem, delivers power in a linear manner and can be a hoot to drive if need be. Looking at the stock figures, ≈100hp/215Nm is quite good. Coming to the mods, there are tuners putting out impressive numbers on the 1.5TDCi, so a remap is a must. Tyres next, suspension, if I feel the need. Alloys and other cosmetic mods will be planned strictly only after performance mods. There are not many options in the market which meet my requirements so it all boils down to just 2 cars.

I know everyone must be thinking of the same thing, do I not know that the Polo exists ? The only reason I'm not too keen on the Polo is because it is just too common. It is a wonderful car for sure, I've driven one quite a bit and I know how capable of a machine it is. Let's just say that my heart is stuck on the Figo. Budget including mods will be ₹8-9L. While this thread may alternatively be titled as 'what car' or 'Figo or Polo', I just want to know whether it makes sense buying a discontinued model from a shut shop company and hence the poll. Let me know what you guys think and if there are any other options I should be looking for !
Yash390 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th September 2023, 17:39   #2
BHPian

re: Does it make sense to buy a Ford Figo in 2023?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yash390 View Post
What my requirements are - preferably diesel, reasonably powerful, good driving dynamics, solid build, mod friendly, good service network/easy to service at an FNG, maintenance and spares not too heavy on the pocket

What I don't care about - resale value, interior/boot space, tech features (I don't want a 50inch ICE with 360° cameras or ADAS or self levelling suspension or adaptive laser lights or the car wishing me a happy birthday)
Voted YES based on your requirements. You can also try Ford Freestyle which can be considered as the facelift of Ford Figo. Both these (along with Aspire and Ecosport) are powered by the same 1.5 TDCi engine. This engine has good refinement, excellent mileage and at the same time fun to drive. By far, this is the best diesel engine in the segment. VW Polo is also a good one to keep as one of your options.
madhukarmohan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2023, 18:07   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Not to Figo and Yes to Polo.

Just see what the youngsters in Kerala do with it in terms of mods. I think Polo is the new Swift when it comes to that. The 1.0 TSi AT, perhaps even the legend edition would be a good place to start.

A lowering kit, better wheels , headlights , tail lights , a polishing job and you are all set.
Kosfactor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2023, 18:43   #4
BHPian

I personally would suggest to go for a car which is in production or atleast the company is still continuing to produce cars.

Also, I heard some rumors about Polo being reintroduced towards end of this year by VW. I know it sounds like gossip as I don't have any confirmation, but you may want to check on this point if possible.
Old 14th September 2023, 20:02   #5
BHPian

Re: Does it make sense to buy a Ford Figo in 2023?

I own a 10+ year-old Figo. Yes, the car is a gem and it still performs well without any major repairs or replacements. Also, servicing or parts availability won't be an issue for at least the next 5 years.

But would I buy it today? Not a chance. In fact, until I read this post, never felt that the Figo is such a desirable car.
Bhargav7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2023, 16:01   #6
Senior - BHPian

I voted yes but considering you want a diesel, is there any reason you have not taken the 1.6 S-Cross into consideration? It is way more powerful, arguably more reliable and drives excellently too.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2023, 17:35   #7
BHPian

I own a 2016 Figo 1.5 diesel. It is a great car and also the engine and performance post remapping makes it a hard car to replace with. While I do intend to keep it till its reaches its end of life, I would not advise anyone to buy the car as of today. The service as of date is decent but I can clearly see it diminish as time is passing by. It is almost becoming a neglected area with dealerships just keeping the service centres for the sake of keeping it alive and I am sure parts availability will soon start to be an issue as well even though it isn't much of an issue as of date.
blackbandit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2023, 21:17   #8
BHPian

Rightly said above by @blackbandit
I have a stage 2+ figo, been on the lookout for the last 1.5 years and nothing comes close to the experience and smiles per km.
However, I would not advice you to buy one unless you live in a few cities which have garages which are Ford champions.
The Ford service is just for name sake, I could do a better job than them but they are the only source for genuine parts except a few distributors across the country.

While for a year or so you may not face any difficulties but later than that I'm sure all ford owners are bound to face issues.

Also, a well kept diesel which maybe 5,6,7 years old is hard to find.
bhphog is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2023, 12:20   #9

Figo definitely fits in to your requirements. As a owner of a tuned Figo, it's definitely a good car but once you get used to it you will want more. You can't extract a lot out of that SOHC 2 valve diesel unlike the 1.5 TDI.

If running cost is relaxable, I would recommend Abarth Punto as a lot of low run examples fall very well into your budget. In terms of muscle, tunability, Aftermarket mod support a Figo is no match to it.
Old 16th September 2023, 14:09   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbandit View Post
I own a 2016 Figo 1.5 diesel. It is a great car and also the engine and performance post remapping makes it a hard car to replace with. While I do intend to keep it till its reaches its end of life, I would not advise anyone to buy the car as of today. The service as of date is decent but I can clearly see it diminish as time is passing by. It is almost becoming a neglected area with dealerships just keeping the service centres for the sake of keeping it alive and I am sure parts availability will soon start to be an issue as well even though it isn't much of an issue as of date.
Agree with blackbandit and bhphog. I had to sell my Chevy Beat Diesel as service centre was closed down by the all the authorized dealers and I started facing difficulties in procuring genuine parts.

I therefore, suggest if you can find garages in your city where they can work on Ford cars and procure genuine parts, go for it else look for another company which is still manufacturing cars in India.
Old 16th September 2023, 14:13   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhukarmohan View Post
Voted YES based on your requirements. You can also try Ford Freestyle
Fully agree. Freestyle makes more sense, also you get newer options, and also I believe more / all variants of Freestyle were coming with ABS and front airbags.
Old 16th September 2023, 14:56   #12
BHPian

Voted Yes.

I'll buy a ford 100 times over, even today. I own a freestyle and in the market for either a 7 seater or a 2nd automatic car. My only consideration in the 2nd hand market is an ecosport AT. There is no car maker in the market that offers peace of mind and driving comfort as a Ford does.

There is absolutely no reason to worry about Ford's exit. Parts are still available faster than makers still in the market. Lso,look at Chevy - the maker is long gone but you still see people driving their Beats and getting it serviced in an FNG.
kaushikduttajsr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2023, 16:20   #13
BHPian

Voted No, with Ford out of the country, it may get progressively difficult to maintain the Figo in the years to come, Polo GT TSI gets an automatic that is very convenient and fun at the same time, 1.0 TSI has a reliable torque converter if you dont prefer the DSG.
Old 16th September 2023, 17:23   #14
BHPian

Being a owner of a 9 yr old Ford, I can assure that Ford workshop & parts availability are solid, and in honest prices.

I see no difference is service, maintenance & support before & after Ford left selling cars in India.

Last edited by Samfromindia : 16th September 2023 at 17:24.
Samfromindia is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th September 2023, 18:18   #15
BHPian

Let me chip in too. Objectively. Even though i own a 7+ year old Figo 1.5D.

You will be addicted to how the car drives in the stock form let alone with a remap. The power on tap, the body control when you dip it into a corner, the precise steering, the feedback of it are all superlative and better than a Polo in my books. Recently i would tell you, i test drove the modern cars - the verna, virtus, seltos and the i20 N line. Were wowed by their interiors in general but once i came back, those wow moments faded once i started driving the Figo again. I mean its unbelievable what 8 ish lacs gave you in and around 2016.

Sure there are quirks in the car- all the part qualities are not perfect, the boot isnt big at all and the headlights are a letdown. But these are all things which can be lived just because of the driving pleasure it provides.

In fact I would like anyone to point me out to any car that is retailed for less than 30 lacs off the showroom floor which drives as good as the Figo.

Also last time i was in NCR, service was absolutely a non issue besides the car isn’t that complex i believe.

So you should get a Figo ASAP, the 1.5 TDCi and do the following (only for driving pleasure)
1. Put in 195/55 R15 sticky rubber.
2. Put a nice leather steering wrap
3. Get the engine tuned to at least a Stage 1+ and EGR delete
4. Get the Ford Figo S specific suspension setup (its cheap)
5. Damp at least the 4 doors and boot of the car.
6. Enjoy the car and thank me later.
jackofsome is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks