Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder S AT (Mild Hybrid) or Honda City V CVT
Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder S AT (Mild Hybrid) 42 29.58%
Honda City V CVT 100 70.42%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2023, 12:09   #16
BHPian

Re: Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder or Honda City?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobsam View Post

Why hybrid?

From a long term perspective, I would like to get a hybrid for economy figures and also when driving on highway, shouldn't have a lackluster drive.

Secondly DPF issues in Diesel variants.

Need a city use car 5 seater option with a budget of around 2300000/-.
The Grand Vitara/ Hyryder is an excellent strong hybrid car. And the Honda City eHEV is even better, just in a different form factor.

But you got to ask yourself: Do you really need a Strong Hybrid?

With your running, where you say only 5 kms daily and maybe a highway run of 700 kms monthly, a normal NA car would be better suited for you. So maybe the regular NA Honda City or the mild Hybrid Grand Vitara.

I believe that you'd see the full value of strong hybrid cars only when you have high running requirements inside the city. Also, don't forget there might be a hefty battery replacement cost maybe 7-8 years down the line for strong hybrids.

Last edited by Small Bot : 21st September 2023 at 12:11.
Small Bot is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 13:14   #17
BHPian

I voted for City.

Actually I drive a City V MT (4th gen) and recently replaced our daily runner Innova with Grand Vitara strong hybrid. What a coincidence right. So I might be able to give you some insights.

Go for Hyryder or GV only if you want strong hybrid tech for higher fuel economy (hence better tank range) and higher ground clearance. For everything else, go for City. Some observations from my 4 months ownership experience :-

>City has better seating comfort front and back. 3 adults with average build can comfortably sit in City's back seat but not in Hyryder.
>There is ample legroom front and back in City.
>You get lot more boot space for weekend trips in City.
>City has somewhat better driving feel and performance
>Hyryder has its headlights placed way too low in the bumper and the beam doesn't go much higher even in high beam. Sometimes driving my Grand Vitara in bumper to bumper traffic, I get confused whether my headlamp is on or not as the light becomes invisible when you're close to the vehicle infront. No provision for foglamps either.
>It may be my personal issue but I find the front footwell too cramped in GV/Hyryder. When in the passenger seat, the footrest is inclined upward at a very steep angle that makes me uncomfortable during little longer journeys. Also the brake and accelerator levers feel a little too high for me at their default position. This two points are my personal opinion though and may not be an issue for everyone.
>Hyryder backseat back rest angle is a bit upright and you can't recline it like in your Innova.
>If you buy the strong hybrid then you get compulsory sunroof with a mosquito net like cover so a lot of light and heat comes in the cabin during sunny summer days.
>Mild hybrid is really under powered and it's better to buy something else.

It's not all bad ofcourse as you get very silent ride in hybrid version with very good suspension setup which is better than that of City but overall I like my City more than my Grand Vitara except for the fuel economy.
Carpainter is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 16:27   #18
BHPian

I've noticed your reservations about the sedan's seating position, yet you've still shortlisted the Honda City. From my perspective, the importance of a comfortable seating position in a car cannot be overstated. Your aversion to the sedan seating arrangement alone is reason enough to exclude the Honda City, regardless of its other merits. Despite any favorable impressions you may have of the Honda City, I strongly suggest reevaluating your options given your preference for a different seating setup.

I also notice you have not shortlisted Honda Elevate because of exterior. In my view (and many may disagree), exteriors are no compromise if drivability is as per your temperament. So try Honda Elevate.

Thirdly, you have not considered Citroen C3 Aircross. You must try it. It seems to be tough competition to Honda Elevate and many other cars in the segment. I have a C3, and from my experience, there is no car in the segment that can match suspension of this car. Given the repo of Citroen for good suspensions, I extrapolate this experience to C3 Aircross as well. However, in all fairness, I concede that I have not driven C3 Aircross myself.

All the best and let us know what car have you brought home. Cheers!
theturbogirl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 18:49   #19
BHPian

I own a Hyryder Strong Hybrid which just replaced a City MT. A few observations from my end.

Hyryder scores over City in these areas

-great suspension, good handling.
-being a softroader, it has a nice driving position, ground clearance.

Where City scores:

-Much more comfortable seats, better rear seat space (both width and legroom)
-nicer interiors
-bigger boot

I haven't driven the Mild Hybrid Hyryder, but I am guessing the performance of the City will be better.
AdhikR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 18:58   #20
BHPian

If SUV is the preferred body type you should open up your choices to include all other SUVs in the category. Take your time and do test drive you have lots of options. There are better SUVs in segment than Hyryder where hybrid engine is the only advantage (though it comes with lower boot space due to it). Koreans are good overall package while Germans have better safety and performance. Choose what you like based on your needs
Old 21st September 2023, 19:44   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobsam View Post
@PetrolHead2272

Need the car primarily for daily city use of say approx. 5KM only and occasional highway ride of say 700KM once a month. Primarily 5 people to travel with three adults and two kids.

Why hybrid?

From a long term perspective, I would like to get a hybrid for economy figures and also when driving on highway, shouldn't have a lackluster drive.

Secondly DPF issues in Diesel variants.

Need a city use car 5 seater option with a budget of around 2300000/-.
With all your parameters considered, I think the Grand Vitara or Hyryder is the best bet. There aren't much hybrid SUV's which match your requirements.

Depending on when the car is needed, you could wait a few months for a new hybrid model that could be released.

Last edited by Sheel : 22nd September 2023 at 09:01. Reason: GV = Grand Vitara. No acronyms please.
Old 21st September 2023, 22:39   #22
BHPian

Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolHead2272 View Post
Requirements:

Need a primary car to replace an Innova. Ideally Hycross was going to be the obvious choice. However, despite its light steering, it is a bit cumbersome to drive in the city. The hybrid variants are out of budget and the GX trim doesn't really convince me to spend 25 lakhs on.

Honda City V CVT:
+ better feature equipped
+ bigger boot
+ definitely more fun to drive despite the CVT

- Plastic quality has definitely gone down since the 3rd gen model.
- Not a fan of the seating position of sedans in general.

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder S AT (mild hybrid):
+Very comfortable seats, both front and back
+amazing mileage
+ SUV, not a sedan

Can’t vote yet, between the two, city is hands down better in all aspects other than ground clearance and easy ingress egress.
But if you are considering the hybrid version of Hyryder, then running cost will be significantly less and has an overall punchy performance, with boot space being the compromise.
VAG twins have 1.0 versions which have torque converter so no DSG woes, but ac is weaker. If you extend the budget the top variants will solve this by virtue of ventilated seats for front passengers.
If open to go a segment below, brezza and nexon are quite competent and might give similar drive height like the innova, with all other areas covered very well.

Last edited by Sheel : 22nd September 2023 at 09:02. Reason: Mod note attached.
Old 22nd September 2023, 02:42   #23
BHPian

If you are open to considering used options, there's several options--
(1) 2015-17 CRV
(2) Crysta
(3) 2014-2017 Q3/Q5

For all three you could find low run pieces with clean maintenance records, within your budget (15L +/-10%).

While the City is a good car, the Innova sets the bar high.
Old 22nd September 2023, 09:51   #24
BHPian

Please look at the sales numbers of both of last one year and decide. There has to be some reason why Hyryders sells many times more despite what so called experts recommend.
neerajku is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2023, 10:05   #25
BHPian

I voted for the City. You can never go wrong with a City.

The HyRyder is a Maruti product behind the scenes and the minute you compare it to Honda, the difference in everything is quite evident.
Old 22nd September 2023, 11:18   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
The K series engine is a proven line of engines and on par with Honda.
Have to interject here, the K series (K15) does not hold a candle to the iVTEC in any way or form. Personally I liked the new Brezza a lot. Everything changed after I took a long test drive. I am guessing you're opinion will change too if you drive both back to back.

Actually I would recommend the korean 1.5NA engines as a second option to the Honda, but not the K15.

Easy and straightforward choice will be the City.
Elevate if the OP is looking for a SUV.
John316_WRC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2023, 11:46   #27
BHPian

From my opinion, If you need easy ingress and egress with good fuel efficiency, go for Hyryder mild hybrid. If you need better power and space, choose Honda City.
Old 9th October 2023, 17:19   #28
Senior - BHPian

There is no reason to buy the Toyota version of the Grand Vitara unless there are no maruti dealerships near you. The non-hybrid variants are 100% Maruti and have nothing from Toyota in it. The strong hybrids have the international toyota yaris powertrain and the maruti body. Either way, they will crumble like cardboard in an accident.

The Seltos and Creta are probably safer than anything Maruti makes in India. I would take the City any day. Or the Taigun/Kushaq with 1.0 AT which doesn't' have a DSG.

Last edited by Cresterk : 9th October 2023 at 17:22.
Old 9th October 2023, 19:13   #29
BHPian

A primary car to replace Innova should/can only be a similar car let alone a better car. So none of the cars you've mentioned is a proper replacement for an Innova. So for your use case, either you had the wrong car (Innova) or you are now choosing the wrong car.

Now, from your list of only City V vs Hyryder S AT Mild Hybrid, it is a City with no second thought. Hyryder is worth only in its full hybrid model.

Now coming to your safety concerns, Hyryder/GV is also untested. Personally, I would say both will get only 3/4 stars in terms of safety, which is the same/1 star better as Creta/Seltos duo. So if safety is a primary factor, then the only choice is the VAG duo. Even Honda City for that matter is 4 stars only but the new Verna is 5 stars. So its your call.

But your highest budget of 15 + 1.5 (10%) = 16.5L will only get you the City if there are good discounts. So are you missing something here.
Old 9th October 2023, 21:49   #30
BHPian

If you like the Honda for its engines and performance but need the space of a SUV, why not check out the Elevate?

But if you are not considering the Elevate and its between the City and Hyryder, I will 100 percent choose City. Since you bought a Glanza, I feel like City +Glanza combo would work really well.

Also, if you would want a CVT and can increase your budget by a bit, why not check out the Seltos IVT? I feel that the Seltos is a great SUV and would be much better than the Hyrdyer

But in then end, it is your call.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks