Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder S AT (Mild Hybrid) or Honda City V CVT
Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder S AT (Mild Hybrid) 42 29.58%
Honda City V CVT 100 70.42%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2023, 02:39   #1
BHPian

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder or Honda City?

Requesting BHPians to help me decide between the two cars mentioned above in the title (Hyryder and City).

Requirements:

Need a primary car to replace an Innova. Ideally Hycross was going to be the obvious choice. However, despite its light steering, it is a bit cumbersome to drive in the city. The hybrid variants are out of budget and the GX trim doesn't really convince me to spend 25 lakhs on. Having recently purchased an amt Glanza, we are more inclined towards getting an automatic this time around too. The budget is set to 15 lakhs +/- 10%.

Options considered:

VAG twins (both sedans and SUVs): Loved the drive but the infamous DSG will remain an issue and with new niggles being reported very often, I would not consider it.

Creta and Seltos: Ruled out due to poor safety ratings and I despise the exterior of the Creta.

MG Astor: Still not comfortable buying an MG.

Grand Vitara: Nice car but would like to go for the Toyota alternative.

Honda Elevate: Not a fan of the exterior and would rather buy the City for a minimal price difference.

Verna: Love the engine, hate the looks.

Base models of cars like XUV700, Scorpio, Harrier, etc. are not being considered.

Final two options then:

Honda City V CVT:
+ better feature equipped
+ bigger boot
+ definitely more fun to drive despite the CVT

- Plastic quality has definitely gone down since the 3rd gen model.
- Not a fan of the seating position of sedans in general.

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder S AT (mild hybrid):
+Very comfortable seats, both front and back
+amazing mileage
+ SUV, not a sedan

- Small boot
- Feels more Maruti than Toyota

After considering all options offered under 20 lakhs, these two along with these variants have been finalized. Kindly help me come to a decision from between these two cars.

Thanks.
PetrolHead2272 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th September 2023, 05:50   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder or Honda City?

Hyryder Neo Drive is 100% Maruti. There is nothing Toyota about it, apart from the badge. Be clear about this. Between that and the City, my pick will be the Honda. Far superior engine and better automatic. Maruti engine feels pretty weak and insipid. Cabin feels a lot nicer too. Add to it the bigger cabin and the far more spacious boot, it comes across as a practical replacement for your old Innova.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 20th September 2023, 06:59   #3
BHPian

If you prioritise Performance, cabin and boot space and don’t prioritise the ease of ingress, high driving position, ease of parking (length) and the resale value, go for the City.
The others factors that are neutral are badge value, reliability, serviceability, AC cooling, ride and handling.
My choice between these two would be the City as I drive 90% of my driving in highways.
CArspeed is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2023, 08:32   #4
Senior - BHPian

Voted the City.
Reasons already mentioned in previous posts.

If getting the HYRyder, the strong hybrid is the one to get.
But the concern I have is your disinterest in seating position of sedans. That is something you'll have to decide for yourself. If you can stretch to the price of the strong hybrid then the HyRyder is a no-brainer.

PS : You mentioned "amazing mileage" for the HYRyder, if you're talking about the 23-25kmpl FE that's only happening on the Strong Hybrid.

Last edited by shancz : 20th September 2023 at 08:33. Reason: ps
shancz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2023, 12:55   #5
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

The only reason I would go for the Hyryder Mild Hybrid is if I am looking for an SUV that doesn't cost much as compared to other SUVs, even in that case the Grand Vitara would have been my choice as the Mild Hybrid engine is produced by Maruti and moreover the Hyryder is a Maruti underneath in every way you look at it.

The Hryder/Grand Vitara Mild Hybrids run on the same 1.5 L K15 C engines as in the Brezza and that certainly doesn't bode well for either performance or fuel efficiency. The Full Hybrids on the other hand are a whole different story and I would definitely consider the Hybrids, for their excellent mileage.

The Better car in every respect (between the two you mentioned) would definitely be the Honda City and it is one of the, if not the best sedan in the segment.
bijims is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2023, 13:23   #6
Senior - BHPian

If high GC is absolutely non-negotiable, Hyryder should be the one to go with.

For everything else, Honda City eyes closed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolHead2272 View Post

[u]Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder S AT (mild hybrid):

+amazing mileage
Are you sure about this? Its a heavy car being lugged around by the same engine that drives the Brezza. Not sure how better the mileage will be compared to rest CSUVs.
SoumenD is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 20th September 2023, 13:34   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Hyryder Neo Drive is 100% Maruti. There is nothing Toyota about it, apart from the badge.
Being a Hyryder G CNG owner I agree with this. We bought it just because of ‘Kitna Deti Hai’ translating to ‘Mileage’.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolHead2272 View Post
Requesting BHPians to help me decide between the two cars mentioned above in the title (Hyryder and City).
I can’t vote yet but I would definitely go for the City.

The Hyryder is just very B-O-R-I-N-G to drive. I would request you to take an extensive TD of both the cars. Our usage is Yearly~35000km which takes us through various NH, Expressways and Non-Existent Roads and this was also one of the reason for considering a CSUV. If your usage is low and Ground Clearance is not an issue you should go ahead with the City.
ex-innova-guy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2023, 13:44   #8
BHPian

Between these 2 cars, I would opt for the Honda. Bigger, more fun to drive, and equally reliable.

Unless of course you are chauffeur driven and want a higher car.
Old 20th September 2023, 13:53   #9
BHPian

Between the two, I would suggest to go for City as well, its an allrounder with safety and reliability baked in. I wouldn’t be able to comment on the Hyryder as its a relatively new product and would have its own set of niggles specially considering that its a rebadged product.
Old 20th September 2023, 15:09   #10
BHPian

Why not the Elevate VX CVT? It is only around 80k more than the S AT Hyryder or 1L more than the GV Delta AT

The Elevate V CVT is priced lower than the equivalent GV/Hyryder entry level AT's.

The Elevate is what the GV/Hyryder NA mild Hybrid AT should have been.

Better built, better interiors, better engine, better dynamics and a more "premium feeling" package.

Dynamically the Elevate runs rings around its NA engined competition. There is no typical Honda tax either, it is fairly priced.

I know that you'd eliminated based on personal taste, but i would sincerely suggest that you give it a go, drive it once

Last edited by ashivas89 : 20th September 2023 at 15:17.
ashivas89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 09:35   #11
BHPian

There are only two reasons why anyone would prefer a mild hybrid Hyryder over the City - the ground clearance, and the ease of ingress/egress. If you go for the strong hybrid, then there would be three.

If those two are not your bottlenecks, I'd recommend the City only. It's a better car in most areas - better NA engine, bigger boot and more cabin space.

When I was making my decision on a new car last year, the only reason I didn't buy the City was that my parents found it really difficult to get in and out - being a typical sedan, the rear seats were set too low for them. They were able to just walk inside the Grand Vitara and the Brezza.

Last edited by Small Bot : 21st September 2023 at 09:38.
Small Bot is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 09:54   #12
BHPian

You will go wrong with neither, Hyryder is majorly Suzuki technology and built by Toyota. It's also exported with same engine abroad as well.

The K series engine is a proven line of engines and on par with Honda.

Please take a look once at the sales figures of sedans which are on a decline in favor of SUVs. You can select sedan or Suv depending upon your usage if you need ground clearance.

Honda after sales service is also no where in comparison with Toyota.

Don't worry about small niggles both of them are not perfect products and localised heavily so expect a few minor issues which you would be able to live with.
nirmaljusdoit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 10:31   #13
BHPian

I was in a similar dilemma, and after A LOT of discussion and research, I have finalised Honda Elevate VX CVT.

You can check my thread for opinions from other members and my updates. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-...5-lakhs-3.html (Upgrade from 3rd-gen Honda City | Which car for 15 lakhs?)

I considered all the vehicles you have mentioned above, and had very similar opinion on all of them, apart from Elevate. I'd say just consider it with an open mind.
In case you are sure on not going for Elevate, go for Honda City!
Old 21st September 2023, 10:32   #14
BHPian

@PetrolHead2272

sorry for high jacking your thread but I am in the same boat but for Hybrid variants.

I am looking for a ride as a second car since already have Tata Safari Storme as an alternate but have started creating issues lately.

Need the car primarily for daily city use of say approx. 5KM only and occasional highway ride of say 700KM once a month. Primarily 5 people to travel with three adults and two kids.

Why hybrid?

From a long term perspective, I would like to get a hybrid for economy figures and also when driving on highway, shouldn't have a lackluster drive.

Secondly DPF issues in Diesel variants.

Need a city use car 5 seater option with a budget of around 2300000/-.
Old 21st September 2023, 11:06   #15

Go for Honda City eyes closed, A very reliable car over Maruti built Toyota Hyryder.
raghav.2299 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks