Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2023, 12:03   #16
BHPian

Re: Upgrading from a Tata Safari Storme | No options?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_boy View Post
I liked the Fortuner, and was okay with the ride quality. If you're okay with that, why don't you go for it? Yes, it's expensive, but you're paying for peace of mind, and future resale value.
Asking since I am in the situation as the OP.

Would future resale value of the Fortuner matter as much as it has until the present? We are reading about a possible ban on (registrations of) new diesel vehicles from 2027, the march of powertrains in the EV realm through their current hybrid avatars and the attendant benefits of such a move: better efficiency, lower NVH, lower maintenance requirements and good low-end torque. Our highways might be better equipped to handle charging requirements, the ranges of EVs could cover almost 100% of the one's use cases in the city and on highways and dealerships would be better placed to handle such new technologies than at present.

With SUVs being the focus of all car manufactures, launches of sporty and lifestyle models could be expected at regular intervals.

In ten years time, would folks be willing to pay for decades-old technology of diesel or petrol engines powering a lumbering giant of an SUV that is present-day Fortuner, despite it's impressive pedigree?
dearchichi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2023, 12:44   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dearchichi View Post
Our highways might be better equipped to handle charging requirements, the ranges of EVs could cover almost 100% of the one's use cases in the city and on highways and dealerships would be better placed to handle such new technologies than at present.
You wont believe the number of new petrol stations that are coming up

Would you rather wait 10 years or enjoy a nice car today? Its a simple proposition.

These days you can have an off-road capable vehicle that also wafts through the highway silently at great speeds with confidence while you enjoy nice music & conversations with the family.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2023, 13:45   #18

Don't know why you haven't kept new Tata Safari in the options.

Tata Safari would tick all your requirements:
- 7 Seater...probably one of the best with usable 3rd row (though good only for kids).

- Robust and Niggle free...this new facelift seems to be heavily worked on to reduce niggles and issues in previous version.

- Automatic Gearbox...new DCT being offered is supposed to be slick and comfortable.

- Comfortable Seats and ride quality...I think Safari has always been known for this and no doubts it's been carry forwarded with this new facelift as well. Take a test drive and check.

- Peace of mind on no roads...Hopefully it will be as Tata seems to be lucky for you :-)

- Not tiring to drive over long distances...New DCT Automatic, comfy wide and ventilated seats with lumbar support, EPS Steering and good sitting position hopefully will make drive more comfortable.

I am impressed by the way Tata has come up with all 3 recent facelifts (Nexon first and then Harrier/ Safari).
Old 2nd November 2023, 13:46   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dearchichi View Post

In ten years time, would folks be willing to pay for decades-old technology of diesel or petrol engines powering a lumbering giant of an SUV that is present-day Fortuner, despite it's impressive pedigree?
That's a tough question. There are multiple layers to your question, I'll do my best to answer them all.

Diesel ban I'm no policymaker, but as a lay person, the 2027 diesel ban seems to be impractical. For reference, the government was supposed to make six airbags compulsory from Oct 2023, but that hasn't happened.

In my personal experience, salespeople from groups like VW (which don't sell diesel cars anymore) are harping these rumours to dissuade people from choosing from competing products.

Technology upgrade

Again, IMHO, the Indian used car market is not fickle. Good examples of used Innovas from 2010 are fetching close to their then on-road prices. This is despite the fact that the latest diesels, and for that matter petrol, engines are objectively better at fuel-efficiency, NVH, and drivability.

Arbitrary State action

With all said and done, you never know when some arm of the State is going to take arbitrary action to ban diesels (atleast in limited contexts) a la NCR diesel ban.

That's something you have no control over. Think about this, what if you lose your resale value by getting into a fender bender?

Conclusion

I'd still go ahead with a car that suites my current requirements than buying one which I hope would serve me in the future.

The OP said his budget is 40 L. They'd have to pay ~20% more to buy an automatic Fortuner. If they are okay with it, and if the Fortuner suites their needs, why not? [GTO's post (How a more expensive car can work out cheaper (if you hold onto it for longer)) on this topic]
Old 2nd November 2023, 13:58   #20
BHPian

Did you check out the Carens? Very practical and the new petrol is just amazing. I don't see any practical 7 seaters amongst Mahindra or Tata. A used Hexa is also an option imo
Old 2nd November 2023, 15:02   #21
BHPian

Though I am going the same way as @condor and @ebonho with my Astern Black beauty which is going to turn 10 in another 5 months (i.e. decided to keep it going for as long as possible) I did hypothetically go through the same situation as you. 1 option that came up in that hypothetical search was ISUZU MUX.
Not sure, if it is still sold but from what I recollect of reading ownership reviews and feedback about the car, it seemed to have a better ride quality than Fortuner. From a reliability perspective am hoping it will be as good as the Fortuner. It however also had a old AT box but still worth evaluating.

Cheers,
zadoom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2023, 16:04   #22
BHPian

Hi, if you can wait for 4 months, then Kia Carnival 2024 expected to be launched around March 2024. In my opinion that will suit your requirements.
Old 2nd November 2023, 17:32   #23
BHPian

Scorpio N is the right choice to replace Safari Storme among current options in the market especially given your requirements. Interiors aren's 'claustrophobic' tight but Safari has spoiled you! You will get used to the lesser glasshouse area with time.

I used to own Safari Dicor in the past, so I know how airy that big glasshouse feels!
Unfortunately current car design practices dont create such cars anymore. Only alternative i can think of which comes closest in this experience below 50L pricecap is Hexa which is also not available anymore. Other options are from Land Rover family, way more expensive.

If you are open for the pre-owned options (which i think you should be) you can consider following options which have RWD:

1. Hexa XTA: almost fulfills all your requirements and will save you lot of money. Really good examples between 12-15 lakh rupees.

2. Crysta Z AT: If reliability is high on your mind. You can find less run good examples between 20-25 lakhs.

3. MUX: will be a great car for your requirements but check for after sales network/service status in your area.

If none of the above options work for you, i will suggest you to increase the budget and go for Fortuner 4x2.

Last edited by 46TheDoctor : 2nd November 2023 at 17:33.
46TheDoctor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2023, 18:07   #24

I think you should also consider Skoda Kodiaq. It's a very competent car. Additionally, you will get 4x4. You can find a detailed review of this car on the below link.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...etrol-dsg.html (2022 Skoda Kodiaq Facelift Review | 2.0L Petrol DSG)
Old 2nd November 2023, 21:30   #25
BHPian

If you don’t need a 7 seater, then may be check out Citroen C5. Rides like a magic carpet!
Old 2nd November 2023, 22:39   #26
BHPian

In my honest opinion, Carens, Safari, Hycross ,XUV700 will be the best options.

Carens has good seating for 7 and if driven properly, the 1.5 DCT can give up to 15-18 kmpl.

Safari will have plenty of space and power at your disposal and you will still be with Tata.

XUV700 is probably the best option, has good space in all 3 rows, and great comfort over long distances. ADAS will also help a lot.

Hycross again has plenty of space, good power and great mileage.

But if you are ok with Diesels, then a used Crysta AT, Carens Diesel AT and Safari are your best options.
Old 3rd November 2023, 02:33   #27
BHPian

If you are a hardcore Safari Storme Fan, then I would say there is no replacement for it available in the market. The closest one to buy as a new vehicle is a Scorpio you already ruled out due to claustrophobic nature. Fortuner has a bumpy ride.

If you are looking in the used market, these are the ones that popped up in my mind.
- Tata Hexa Automatic
- Ford Endeavor
Old 3rd November 2023, 08:29   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The 5-door Thar is still a few months away. From the current list and comments shared, XUV7OO seems to be the one that will be accepted by the family.

A sinking feeling just to read that 3.8L. May as well drive it into the ground - but then even that will take years !
“A sinking feeling” describes it best. I was going to try quoting 4.5 and be willing to let it go at 4 or so.

But the cars24 evaluation quoted much more than what I had expected because of its condition. Now that they find it so valuable, I don’t want to let it go!

Just waiting for the spinny quote and then will probably part ways with what I consider to be like a brother to me within this week. :(

Thanks for the suggestions all.

I have avoided Safari/Harrier in the short list purely because of the Tata service experience. Malice and incompetency filled practices thriving due to there being so many cars for them to handle.

My future plans are not confirmed, but if I do end up living away from home, this car will be with my parents. And with both of them in full time jobs, they will not have the time to spare for running around even if it’s just warranty replacements or such.

I have had to visit the shop at least 5 times every year, not because the product is bad, but because only a Tata ASC can mess up a general service and create more issues.

Last edited by navin : 3rd November 2023 at 15:52.
Old 3rd November 2023, 12:06   #29
BHPian

I had two Safaris back to back but a lifetime of driving Safaris and Mahindras was telling on my left knee. So I picked up one of the last Hexa XTAs and have been very happy with it. Recently did Chennai - Goa and back, driving single handedly. What a supremely comfortable vehicle.

Absolutely no niggles in the last 3 years of ownership bar a rubber door moulding that is sagging a bit. If you come across a well-maintained Hexa, go for it regardless of grade. I have owned a lot of cars in my 3 decades as a driver, including a few more than Rs, 30 lakhs. I have no doubt my Hexa is the finest by a wide margin.

Having stopped for a cuppa at Dindigul on one of my trips, I came to find an entire family admiring my Hexa. They had parked their Jaguar F Pace next to me and told me they had exchanged their Hexa for the F Pace and all of them regretted the decision.

The Bangladesh Army operates over a 100 Hexas for their senior officers and I see them on the roads of Dhaka looking so smart. I am going to keep my Hexa until I can. This is the sentiment I hear from a lot of fellow owners!
Ferruccio is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2023, 12:43   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reach_gm View Post
Don't know why you haven't kept new Tata Safari in the options.

- Automatic Gearbox...new DCT being offered is supposed to be slick and comfortable.
The new Safari has a 6 speed torque converter, not a DCT. You're probably thinking of the Nexon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks