Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2023, 13:33   #31
BHPian

Re: Upgrading from a Tata Safari Storme | No options?!

It is going to be difficult to replace something as simple and as comfortable as a Safari Storme. I was in same situation after loosing my Oct 2015 Storme Vx 4x4 with just 32k kms on odo in April last year in a rear ending accident. I was devastated as Strome was scrapped. I tried to buy another used Storme, but couldn't find one with low odo reading. I tried XUV7OO and Scorpio-N, but none of these clicked for me. On suggestion by @Condor, i started looking for a used Hexa. I test drove a Hexa XTA at Cars24, and it immediately felt to be the only worthy replacement of a Storme. Later I was able to bring home a Dec 2018 24k run Hexa XTA through contact of Condor. Now I do not miss my Storme at all. Hexa is so much more than a Storme. Alas, Tata has stopped selling Hexa, and the current automatic Hexa owners are living under fear of potential failure of the autobox which can not be procured anymore (as told by TASS).
speed79 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2023, 22:29   #32
Senior - BHPian

I did not realise that inside a decade our Storme has created a cult for itself!

I somehow assumed it would always live as a shortlived successor to the Dicor. Like the Royal Enfield Machismo 500 to the cast iron Bullet 500.

Tata should listen!!!!!!!!!

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2023, 13:00   #33
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
The showroom and workshop guys say there is a Storme Classic coming inside the next 6 months ... same body, completely modern inners and engine. Waiting!
My friend, I can assure you this rumour is 100% false.

- The Safari Storme's production ended 4 years ago.

- Unlike the old Scorpio which was reborn as a "Classic", the Storme wasn't selling at all. On the other hand, the old Scorpio (now Classic) was doing over 3000 - 4000 units / month.

- Tata gave up on making that engine BS6-compliant. And there is no way they will make it BS6.2 compliant.

- The Storme felt old & outdated even 10 years ago, and is completely out of sync with Tata's current, modern, futuristic-styled, tech-friendly lineup.

- The Storme is based on a product that is now 25 years old. We should let the Storme & such rumours rest-in-peace.

- The only discontinued product that Tata STRONGLY contemplated bringing back was the Hexa...but again, the company didn't think it was worth it. Put a gun to Tata's head and they'll bring the Hexa back, not the Storme. But the fact is, both these products are d-e-a-d.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th November 2023, 20:19   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reach_gm View Post
Don't know why you haven't kept new Tata Safari in the options.

- Robust and Niggle free...this new facelift seems to be heavily worked on to reduce niggles and issues in previous version.

- Automatic Gearbox...new DCT being offered is supposed to be slick and comfortable.

- Comfortable Seats and ride quality...I think Safari has always been known for this and no doubts it's been carry forwarded with this new facelift as well. Take a test drive and check.

- Peace of mind on no roads...Hopefully it will be as Tata seems to be lucky for you :-)

- Not tiring to drive over long distances...New DCT Automatic, comfy wide and ventilated seats with lumbar support, EPS Steering and good sitting position hopefully will make drive more comfortable.

I am impressed by the way Tata has come up with all 3 recent facelifts (Nexon first and then Harrier/ Safari).

Here's the thing, the new one is more susceptible to niggles. I own a 2022 Harrier and the only "tech" going on in that car is the infotainment system which somehow manages to freeze itself and restart every other day. The new one has an illuminated steering for which we do not have a long term report. Tata is also using touch buttons for their entire center pannel from AC to Hazard light. I don't feel it's convenient or handy.

As far as the Steering is concerned, I would say the EPS unit is okayish at best. Tata can definitely tune it better. The new EPS unit is definitely better than the HPS but still new EPS can be tuned a bit better. On that note I feel even XUV can tune their steering better for low speeds as it is too light.

Harrier/Safari have TC and not DCT but the gearbox is smooth. It's neither fuel efficient nor performance oriented but it's definitely very smooth and you hardly realise when your car upshifts or downshifts. Don't get me wrong the car picks up pace quick but it's not as agressive as the aisin tc gearbox. I personally prefer the Hyundai sourced tc over the aisin gearbox to be honest.

Lastly, I understand that Tata is aiming for a uniform design language across their offerings but I guess their cars would end up loosing "character" and "identity". If you were to compare and choose between Harrier and Safari then your deal braker would majorly boil down to 5 seater vs 7 seater. In the crossover/ SUV segment they don't have a variety available which Mahindra is providing.

Last edited by BleueNinja : 6th November 2023 at 20:32.
BleueNinja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 19:38   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
this car will be with my parents. And with both of them in full time jobs, they will not have the time to spare for running around even if it’s just warranty replacements or such.
This statement/requirement screams "reliability" and if that is what you want, look no further than a Toyota although the XUV 7OO has come a long way in terms of "stability" since its launch. Here would be my recommendation in the order of priority:

a) Pre-owned Innova Crysta AT (preferably 2.8 Z)
b) New Innova Hycross
c) New Fortuner 4x2 AT

Good luck
Old 8th November 2023, 19:45   #36

Tata Safari (2023 Facelift) seems to be checking all your conditions.. (remember, no car is perfect!)

Functional Requirements
7 Seater (Large Family, loves to travel together) - The most usable 6/7 seater, with adult friendly 3rd seat. (Only competition is Innova this side of 50L!)

Robust and Niggle free (I use it in the farm and to often transport produce) - Take extended warranty and have trust (Storme wasn't niggle free but it still surved you well!)

Automatic Gearbox - Hyundai sourced unit is quite competent (& comfortable)

Comfortable Seats and ride quality (no compromise on this) - Nothing can match Safari's 6-seater comfort with ventilation this side of 1Cr!

Peace of mind on no roads - It's an minor upgrade, so Tata would have fixed minor niggles from v1 experience in last 2-3 years.

Not tiring to drive over long distances - Monocoque chassis shud be comfortable. Body roll is well contained and Safari suspension is quite good.

Hope it helps.. you have listed your functional requirements very well so should be easy to finalize the best option.
Old 8th November 2023, 22:51   #37
BHPian

Quote:
4 Car garage currently. Most of them unused.
I had very similar requirements as yours, had booked XUV 700 since that was the only one matching the needs, waitlisted and waited for months. That is when Hycross came into play, and along with it the likelihood about the questionable future of diesels post 2028. I am a long termer with cars, and hence wanted some vehicle that can stick loyally with me for 10-15 years time period. I also happened to test drive an XUV 700 that had run 15K kms, but the pleasing professional vehicle that I saw during my first test drive was missing when I drove the 15K run car (diesel).
Hycross was test driven around the same time (Nov 2022), bad plastics and low features left a bitter taste, but then the practicality, space, long running reliability of Toyota and the ever reliable hybrid platform of Hycross really impressed. Made the booking immediately though I was not decided on whether to go XUV or Hycross.
Heart v/s Brain call, and I finally went with brain which said Hycross. Main reasons were:
- Long term niggles - Hycross scored better as we can still see major electronics niggles in XUV
- Space - Super usable 3rd row and good boot space.
- Engine - As reliable as possible hybrid Toyota TNGA. Diesel engine of XUV in terms of longevity was a question mark.
- Partnership for a decade - Longevity and Toyota goes together
- Peace of mind - Toyota
- Resale - Just in case, at some point, if we have to resell, Hycross will be the way to go

Having said that, following things were in my heart for XUV (which still is)
- Looks - XUV is a blast when it comes to looks.
- Features - Some amazing and beautiful features (but having bought Hycross, I wonder if we would use so many as I am unable to notice everything even in Hycross)
- Drivers' enthusiasm - XUV was better than Hycross for speeds beyond 80 kmph.
- Audio system - XUV had a great sound system, Hycross is strictly average
- Headlights - XUV is really good, Hycross is pathetic in this!
- Safety - NCAP Untested car by Toyota, not comfortable with it - but the doors and vehicle as such felt much more grounded and safe.

And I went for Hycross, and enjoying it for last 2 weeks. (after all the cons that I marked above, I still feel that it is more intelligent to go with Hycross)

Last edited by Turbanator : 17th November 2023 at 22:12. Reason: Please quote only relevant part.
Old 9th November 2023, 12:14   #38
Senior - BHPian

The requirements you have listed are one thing and the feedback about the cars suggest you might be looking for something else :P

I would recommend a lightly used Tata Hexa. It would tick all your boxes. Give it a drive and report back.

If the mental block of buying a used car is just too much to overcome, then give the MG gloster a try.
Old 17th November 2023, 18:30   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by reach_gm View Post
I am impressed by the way Tata has come up with all 3 recent facelifts (Nexon first and then Harrier/ Safari).
Being an owner of an updated(BS6.2 not the facelift) harrier for the past few months, I can confidently say that the Safari is a very robust crossover but it will not be niggle free for sure. The gearbox isn't a DCT unit, it's a good old reliable TC unit although the gear knob looks like the DCT unit in Face-lifted Nexon. The seats are nowhere near the league of say, XUV700 levels of comfort. Even the new Nexon has an updated seat with thigh support but TATA has plonked the same seats of the old harrier/safari that lacks dedicated thigh support. I do believe that the Harrier/Safari twins are one of the widest in class, robust enough to flatten out bad roads on which many other cars would fall apart, comfortable for it's passengers yet it's somehow not comfortable for the driver. Although TATA has worked on major issues like the new steering unit and reduced the NVH levels, they didn't completely work on small issues that really matter to the driver like the manual variants which don't have a proper dead pedal in an already cramped footwell or the lack of thigh support for the front seats.

Last edited by Aditya : 17th November 2023 at 22:16. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
Old 17th November 2023, 19:22   #40
BHPian

Quote:
“A sinking feeling” describes it best.
Didn't know you'd a thread running on this; anyway, better late than never!

Speaking to you did make it very apparent - it must've been really hard to let it go! I am already dreading when my turn comes, but not for another 2-3 years atleast. If it helps, you're welcome to take mine out for a spin sometime if you wish to.

Given ur specific use case, the 700 makes more sense, except for the niggles part. Hope the latest production samples are more sorted than the first few batches which more prone. If looking in used cars, Innova crysta makes more sense I guess, given its bulletproof reliability and decent ride quality.

All the best with the search..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks