Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2023, 23:28   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Second car under 25 lakhs for Bangalore city traffic

Buy a good SUV instead of a hatch. It will serve as a good outstation car and with the kids in the house the added boot space would come in handy.

I wouldn't worry about the car length. It's a matter of a few months - better than spending lakhs on changing cars.
Alternately buy a cheap used beater - Rs. 6-7L and then buy a new car after 6-8 months once things have settled and you know your requirements and budget. You can sell it quick without much loss in value too as compared to a new car.

Some points:
1. city traffic it's width and visibility that matter - not length except when parking.

2. there has to be some compromise. Even when buying S Class / GLS Maybach there is a compromise.

3. Creta since you like is a good all rounder. People have taken the conscious decision of overlooking safety since it'll be a city car and it is a call you need to take depending on your mental comfort levels - given it'll be used by family you never want it playing on the back of your mind.

4. Given your other car is a 3 series, what would you take on long highway trips with family - creta or 3 series?
If the answer is creta : then I would urge you to look out for a good CRV / Tucson previous generation and pick one of those up just for the better safety and power.
Can be had at a similar price point.
May have to buy in Mumbai but worth considering as an option.
If the answer is 3 series only for road trips - buy creta and call it a day.
lamborghini is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th November 2023, 23:32   #17
Senior - BHPian

For the routes that you commute, you'll know that the roads get horrible due go metro work and the rainy season makes it very tough. I did see your view on the Jimny, but I'll reconsider and rethink that thought process. A Thar or a Jimny will work. Granted that those might not be most appropriate for a chauffeur.
jkrishnakj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2023, 05:23   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish84 View Post
Is Creta safety really a deal breaker if I limit the usage strictly to city? 90% of city drive would be at low speeds. Me and my wife really like SXO variant of Creta but safety concern is holding us back.
No, not at all.
I bought a 2023 Creta SX(O) IVT in May this year, and honestly, it's a great all-rounder. It performs well in the city, and being my first automatic car, it's a boon to drive in Delhi traffic, and will definitely prove to be convenient in Bangalore, too.

I would've waited for the facelift if I could, but I needed to get the car as soon as possible. I didn't have to wait for long, and got it delivered within a week after the booking. No regrets.

My impressions of the Creta:-
1. Appearance and Dimensions: It's got the perfect size. It's bigger than a hatchback, but feels smaller while driving than a proper 4+ metre SUV, and sits well in parking spots, moves easily through traffic, and is easy-to-drive. Coming from a Honda City, I like how compact it is.

2. Engine: The 1.5-litre naturally aspirated engine performs quite well, contrary to my expectations. Yes, it isn't as peppy as I would've liked it to be, but I had even lower expectations thinking the CVT will further dampen whatever is produced by the engine, and that did not happen. It pulls linearly, acceleration is good enough, and considering my use case, it even returns a decent fuel efficiency of ~10 kmpl in the city when there's not much traffic, and ~8.5 kmpl in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

3. Transmission: My Honda City had a manual transmission, and so did my Scorpio, but the Creta is what everybody at home prefers to drive now. The CVT has the infamous rubber band effect, but it's quite well-contained. It's not going to launch like a rocket the moment you put your foot down, but once you know how to get it off the line without building the revs too high, it accelerates steadily, linearly, and well, fast enough. And, I've been driving sedately, thanks to the gearbox.

4. Highway Performance: Never have I once had a problem on the highway. It stays planted; although there is some body-roll, it's still quite well-connected to the ground, and you never really lose confidence. If you want a stiffer suspension, go for the Seltos. I've driven it on expressways, a few bad patches, village roads, and what not. You never really feel out of power. You've got the 3-series for that anyway.

5. Ergonomics and Safety: Ergonomics are spot on. That's all I have to say. Except for my knee touching the centre console and getting it to make a weird noise, there's nothing I have to complain about. There are plenty of storage spaces at the right places, physical buttons and knobs, and everything is well within reach.
As for safety, the GNCAP tested the E variant, which misses out on side and curtain airbags. The SX(O) comes with 6 airbags, 3-point seatbelt for all passengers, and ISOFIX child-seat mounts.

The Creta is a car that you can't really go wrong with. It's had its fair share of criticism, but honestly, it's not a purchase you'll regret.
Feel free to reach out, in case you have any questions.

Last edited by aah78 : 28th November 2023 at 05:35. Reason: Quote trimmed.
VitoVTEC is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th November 2023, 08:14   #19
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Is Creta safety really a deal breaker if I limit the usage strictly to city? 90% of city drive would be at low speeds. Me and my wife really like SXO variant of Creta but safety concern is holding us back.

please read my post in the forum about how creta and God's grace saved 4 lives

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...occupants.html (Hyundai Creta rolls down hill after collision with bus | Seatbelts and airbags save occupants)
sumukha is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th November 2023, 09:53   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Greetings BHPians!

I moved recently from Mumbai to Bangalore in the beginning of 2023. I am in the market to buy a second car as soon as possible and would really appreciate some advice.
I was in a similar boat recently looking for automatic city car. I always wanted Ecosport 1.5 Dragon. Had to wait almost 4 months to get a good piece, finally bought from an owner which had run 20k in 4 years and very well maintained and at a price less than Ignis.

Its a TC gearbox with very good driveability and has all bells and whistles as its Titanium trim. Good for both city and highway.
bullitt1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2023, 10:52   #21
BHPian

How about i20 N line? I feel this premium hatch is good for both to drive or be driven. There are simply no good cars at 10L range.
Old 28th November 2023, 11:36   #22
BHPian

I would suggest you go with a hybrid. Grand Vitara Alpha Plus Hybrid CVT falls in your budget and it is a wonderful city vehicle. You'll enjoy a very peppy drivetrain, a decent level of comfort, and stupendous fuel efficiency.
If you want to go as cheap as possible, get the Brezza VXI AT. It's got a decent engine for your city drives, respectable fuel efficiency, and a competent transmission.
Both are Marutis so reliability isn't a concern.
Amrit@wheels is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2023, 11:41   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Car choices rejected[*]All Tata cars due to niggles concern. I really like the new Tata Nexon EV but I do not want to take up the tension of charging.
I think you should not reject the Nexon EV. It's the most refined driving experience that you can have which is really important for long city commutes. It's also fun to drive with it's instant torque. It will have the lowest running cost as well as maintenance cost. The interiors are really good and the music system is top notch. It's the most succesful EV in India so chances of niggles/issues are minimal. It surely deserves a long test drive experience before you reject it.

You need to charge it only once or twice a week. That too can be taken care of by your driver at any fast chargers which should hardly take an hour for full charge.
anshumandun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2023, 12:01   #24
Senior - BHPian

You can't go wrong with Creta SXO IVT for city use. It has all bells and whistles plus perfect size for city commute. If you like the style and looks, it fits your requirements. Not to mention about good service network.
Aviator_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2023, 12:41   #25
BHPian

Hi,

I have 2 options in my mind:-

1. A brand new Mahindra Thar(Top end Diesel AT).
2. A good pre-owned BMW 118d Sport/Plus.

Though both are at the opposite ends of the spectrum, they are great urban/city and highway cars.

Happy hunting.
Pkumarblore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2023, 12:48   #26
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Greetings BHPians!

I moved recently from Mumbai to Bangalore in the beginning of 2023. I am in the market to buy a second car as soon as possible and would really appreciate some advice.

Car choices shortlisted
  1. Among premium hatchback we have liked only i20 Sportz (Asta is 2.5 lakhs more on a 11 lakh base and doesn’t feel VFM). Baleno/Fronx is out due to AMT and lack of premiumness inside the cabin.
  2. Among SUV we really like Creta SXO but there are 2 blockers to buy Creta - safety concerns and upcoming facelift launch.

Current status
We have test driven most cars except Tata & Mahidra. Even paid 11k booking amount for i20 Sportz variant. However, for some reason I am not feeling convinced with my decision and hence haven’t done the full payment. My joining date of new job is 1 Dec and I need to act fast.

Look forward to inputs and guidance from my fellow members.
Thanks in advance.

Buy any of these and I believe you will be quite happy with them. They will suit the purpose and use case admirably while offering you more besides.
1. Maruti Jimny
2. Hyundai Exter.
3. Maruti Brezza
4. Toyota Hyryder
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2023, 13:12   #27
BHPian

Just get an i10. Although smaller than the i20, it is still premium enough, easier to maneuver and has the same 1.2 NA engine of the i20 which will give better fuel efficiency.
Old 28th November 2023, 13:23   #28

Quote:
Greetings BHPians!
You can try EV route. I have Honda City Diesel Manual. After being guilty multiple times running car for hours in stand still/stop and go Bangalore traffic, booked Kona EV primarily as 2nd car for city drive. If Chauffer driven, you can consider other EV cars MG and BYD with better back seat comfort. Kona has best driver seat among EVs up to 25L.
Old 28th November 2023, 14:00   #29
Mik
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshumandun View Post
I think you should not reject the Nexon EV. It's the most refined driving experience that you can have which is really important for long city commutes. It's also fun to drive with it's instant torque. It will have the lowest running cost as well as maintenance cost. The interiors are really good and the music system is top notch. It's the most succesful EV in India so chances of niggles/issues are minimal. It surely deserves a long test drive experience before you reject it.

You need to charge it only once or twice a week. That too can be taken care of by your driver at any fast chargers which should hardly take an hour for full charge.
I shall second this. I have been doing a part of the route you are going to take on various vehicles over last 9 years. The Nexon EV has been by far the best option due to its mostly single pedal driving and comfy seating and good audio. Its the best part of my day! On the days i feel agitated, simply shift to Sport mode and blast my way through traffic.
If you have the option to charge at home (can be an issue with some RWAs) then there is nothing like it. Fast chargers abound too but nothing beats having a petrol pump at home.
Mik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2023, 14:01   #30
BHPian

Renault Kiger CVT. Though a little noisy, but well built, smooth automatic and acceptable FE. Use it strictly for the city.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks