Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2008, 01:27   #31
BHPian

Its added to 2T Oil, because it acts as a sealant.

Quote:
Key Properties of butyl rubber include:

· Air tight and gas impermeable, (a unique property of butyl rubbers)

· Flexibility

· Good weathering resistance

· Resistant to ozone

· Good vibration damper

· Biocompatible
Can you search for a word 'Lubricative' in above quote?

Quote:
target market for these additives is fuel injector cleaning segment
Then why they are not cleaning the fuel injectors?

Last edited by ibm_jennifer : 6th October 2008 at 01:31.
Old 6th October 2008, 01:39   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibm_jennifer View Post
Its added to 2T Oil, because it acts as a sealant.

Key Properties of butyl rubber include:

· Air tight and gas impermeable, (a unique property of butyl rubbers)

· Flexibility

· Good weathering resistance

· Resistant to ozone

· Good vibration damper

· Biocompatible

Can you search for a word 'Lubricative' in above quote?

Then why they are not cleaning the fuel injectors?
The properties quoted above are of vulcanized form of polyisobutylene and not of the polymer itself. It is used in 2T oil as lubricant and not as sealant, for being a sealant polyisobutylene needs to solidify , Incidentally it dissolves in mineral oil and need to be vulcanized ( with sulphar or zinc ) to protect form being dissolved when used in hard rubbers. In STP or System D it is used as detergent Please check wikipedia to understand various forms of the same polymer , Butyle rubber is formed after vulcanization ,also check the discussion on the following link for understanding better

PIB as a fuel additive [ Archive] - GasSavers.org - Helping You Save at the Pump

Last edited by amitk26 : 6th October 2008 at 01:43.
Old 6th October 2008, 01:47   #33
BHPian

Not suitable for use in contact with mineral oils?

Astlett Rubber Inc.: Synthetic Rubber

Fine, Do you list me the fuel additives which uses this PIB?

Last edited by ibm_jennifer : 6th October 2008 at 01:57.
Old 6th October 2008, 09:52   #34
Senior - BHPian

Guys ibm_jennifer, amitk26, We are way off topic here.

Suggest you start a separate thread on these issues.

The Title suggests Safari VTT or 4DL TCIC and we should stick to that - not digress. Please also note that all have access to wikipedia, theres no use in copy and pasting here as it only increases the number of pages!

@MODS - Suggest the appropriate action to stick to thread titles please!
Old 6th October 2008, 10:29   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Guys ibm_jennifer, amitk26, We are way off topic here.

Suggest you start a separate thread on these issues.

The Title suggests Safari VTT or 4DL TCIC and we should stick to that - not digress. Please also note that all have access to wikipedia, theres no use in copy and pasting here as it only increases the number of pages!

@MODS - Suggest the appropriate action to stick to thread titles please!
Dear Headers,

You are right on this I will refrain from discussing more on polymers here.
By the way I never copy pasted anything but just provided links which can be read at leasure . MOds move this to new thread if there is a need.

@IBM_Jeniifer : To conclude and answer you, STP is one Additive which use PIB. Physical properties of polymer depend on the length of the polymer chains for example Teflon ( C2F2 ) is used both as lubricant ( Nulon) and a hard polymer for surface protection same applies to PIB as well.
Old 6th October 2008, 12:05   #36
BHPian

Thanks ibm_jennifer and Headers for your detailed message. All right. So the best option is to go in for the VTT DICOR.

One more thing I noticed about these 2 variants. The TCIC version looks smaller in comparison with the VTT model. Is it my eyes ? In the Website of Tata - all variants have the same physical dimension - at least in the book. Any insight ?
Old 6th October 2008, 13:18   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Thanks ibm_jennifer and Headers for your detailed message. All right. So the best option is to go in for the VTT DICOR.

One more thing I noticed about these 2 variants. The TCIC version looks smaller in comparison with the VTT model. Is it my eyes ? In the Website of Tata - all variants have the same physical dimension - at least in the book. Any insight ?
Physical changes in TCIC , Dicor 3.0 L and 2.2 VTT Dicor are in terms various combinations of headlights , Grill and bumpers and spare wheel covers and that may give a feeling of different dimentions. On 2.2 VTT the spare wheel cover has a plastic spacer inside about one feet long which keeps it little protruded outside as compared to Dicor 3.0 L
Old 7th October 2008, 13:59   #38
BHPian

Thanks Amit. This place really rocks. For those who are looking for the information on maintaining a TCIC Safari, I found a gem here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ance-cost.html

I wish I found this thread months ago.
Old 16th December 2008, 11:42   #39
BHPian

Ok. I took delivery of the 2.2 VTT DICOR yesterday. But when I was driving home, it kept saying "SERVICE" every few meters and slowed down on its own. But the engine kept purring and after a few seconds recovered. What is the problem ?

I still have no number plate yet. So I have to wait till I am given one to drive back to the TASS.
Bit disappointing.
Old 16th December 2008, 12:43   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok. I took delivery of the 2.2 VTT DICOR yesterday. But when I was driving home, it kept saying "SERVICE" every few meters and slowed down on its own. But the engine kept purring and after a few seconds recovered. What is the problem ?

I still have no number plate yet. So I have to wait till I am given one to drive back to the TASS.
Bit disappointing.
Ohh its unfortunate to stuck up with some issue on day 1, I think it must be something minor like they forgot to remove cardboard in front of raditor for some one causing SERVICE light to come up.
Did you follow the PDI list given at team BHP and did a test drive while taking the delivery ?
Do not drive it further and call The TASS guys they will surely sort the issue
Take a printout of PDI list and do all the checks once more after your current problem is fixed to rule out further possible niggles.
Poor sales and service of TATA ruin the experience of buying this wonderful machine.
Old 16th December 2008, 12:56   #41
BHPian

Quote:

Bit disappointing.
Firstly, congratulations.

Secondly, I would request you to send a stinker to Tata Motors through their website and complain about it. It is for their dealers and TASS that such incidents happen and give a bad name to the vehicle and provides ammunition to some.

Now coming to the problem, if I remember correctly, this issue was reported by another member on his safari. Wait for the TASS to check it up and don't loose sleep over it. I am sure its a minor hiccup.
Old 16th December 2008, 14:22   #42
BHPian

Thanks Guys. I drove the car today for a few Km and found that it settled down. No more "Service" from the console. They sent a driver to pick up the car, but he drove also for a few Km and said there is nothing wrong with it. It must have been due to the washing they did before the delivery. They opened up the engine bay and poured water on a hot engine much to my displeasure.

Anyway other than small issues like - the passenger side glass winds up a bit slow and the glove compartment door a bit uneven - I am happy. The engine is much quieter than my previous TCIC. And a lot peppy.
Old 16th December 2008, 15:28   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Guys. I drove the car today for a few Km and found that it settled down. No more "Service" from the console. They sent a driver to pick up the car, but he drove also for a few Km and said there is nothing wrong with it. It must have been due to the washing they did before the delivery. They opened up the engine bay and poured water on a hot engine much to my displeasure.

Anyway other than small issues like - the passenger side glass winds up a bit slow and the glove compartment door a bit uneven - I am happy. The engine is much quieter than my previous TCIC. And a lot peppy.
Still I think it would be good if they connect a Laptop for ODB diagnostics , If it showed service even once the error code would be preserved till it is cleared I guess.
Old 17th December 2008, 13:01   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Still I think it would be good if they connect a Laptop for ODB diagnostics , If it showed service even once the error code would be preserved till it is cleared I guess.
Ok. The Sales executive said when I bring the car for fitting the accessories, they will check this or at the first service.

Thanks Amit.
Old 22nd December 2008, 15:54   #45
BHPian

I have checked out the Service warning. It is the clutch pedal sensor - so I was told. They lubricated that and erased the fault indication. It appears that the new Safaris have electronic system for Accelerator instead of the cable link to the Injection system. Drive by wire ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks