Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2009, 10:11   #16
BHPian

Ok everyone,

So the Prado will be going for its overhaul soon but we are as yet undecided on the second car.

Looks like we are down to 3 options.

1. Honda Accord
PROS -- Huge Space, Its a Honda, Extremely Comfortable,
CONS -- Thirsty, low level of gadgetry, small boot (as much as the Jazz), At the limit of our budget (and possibly going over even for the 2.4)

2. Hyundai Sonata
PROS -- Very Spacious (not as much as the accord), Excellent Diesel Option (in terms of FE), Great A.S.S.
CONS -- Its a hyundai, Interiors aren't great

3. Corolla
PROS -- Good as a Chauffeur driven option, lots of equipment, very practical, the best price point in terms of our budget
CONS -- Not as spacious as the other two, not that much fun to drive

So now, can people tell me if I'm missing out on any pro's and cons from the above and what would you suggest we go in for? Thanks for all the advice so far
Old 19th June 2009, 10:39   #17
Senior - BHPian

I'd say go for the Accord 2.4, like you said, you can afford it. Buy the way, slightly OT, how was your old accord totalled ?
Old 19th June 2009, 11:46   #18
BHPian

The story about my old accord goes like this. My father was driving to work (in Gurgaon) and was going at a reasonable 60kmph on a stretch of faitly open road (not the highway). There was an Indica ahead of him going at about the same speed and my dad was just thinking about overtaking when suddenly the Indica just braked out of the blue and my dad had almost no time to react and just went head on into the back of the indica. The indica rear end and the Accord front end (including the engine) was pretty much trashed. And the scary part is the driver Airbag didn't deploy but the passenger side did and the only reason my dad wasn't badly hurt was because of the seatbelt.

I don't know what further damage occured to the car because I was in the US at the time and I asked him not to send me any pictures that he had taken (for the insurance companies). This was mainly because I really loved the car and felt that it was the most handsome design of its time in the country and I did not want to see it in its ruined state. I still haven't seen the remains of the car and I don't intend to either.
Old 19th June 2009, 14:53   #19
Senior - BHPian

Gurus can anyone clarify this.adithya had mentioned that the drive side air bag was not deployed.
Will both the airbags deploy if there is a crash ONLY on leftside of the car?
Pardon my knowledge.

Adithya:Why is CIVIC not considered? as it is also a driver oriented car with HONDA badge on it.
Old 19th June 2009, 16:12   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adithyav View Post
And the scary part is the driver Airbag didn't deploy but the passenger side did and the only reason my dad wasn't badly hurt was because of the seatbelt.
So was there any compensation for the manufacturing defect, by Honda ?
This is serious. People pay premium for luxury and safety, only to know the safety features work where there are no people seated.
Old 21st June 2009, 03:52   #21
BHPian

From looking at the options mentioned I would pick #3 and go for the Corolla. Mainly because the overall quality, extra options and ride are better in this car compared to the other two. And you have the safety issue with the accord and the cheap feel of the Sonata. However, IMHO you should include a #4 in the form of the Volkswagen Jetta 1.9 TDI Comfortline. This car had better build quality compared to its Japanese counterparts and the drive is very smooth yet it has enough power. It also has more features and options compared to the other cars. And since safety is a concern for you, this comes with 8 airbags.
Old 1st July 2009, 09:22   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
So was there any compensation for the manufacturing defect, by Honda ?
This is serious. People pay premium for luxury and safety, only to know the safety features work where there are no people seated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
Gurus can anyone clarify this.adithya had mentioned that the drive side air bag was not deployed.
Will both the airbags deploy if there is a crash ONLY on leftside of the car?
Pardon my knowledge.

Adithya:Why is CIVIC not considered? as it is also a driver oriented car with HONDA badge on it.
First up. The Civic wasn't considered because the rear seat legroom isn't that great and that is one of the top priorities in our car search.

Secondly. Just an update in terms of the old Accord. My dad got a call from Honda on Monday saying that they were assuming the case was closed as there was no news from our end (after they had said they would get back to us). Furthermore, with regards to the airbag not deploying (in a head on collision), the person had the guts to tell my dad that it is thanks to the car's frame that he is still alive and that speaks for the safety of the car and not the airbags. Needless to say, my dad ripped the guy apart to the point where the guy said he'll get back to us in 2-3 days with a new "cheaper" quote for getting the old car fixed.

Now I don't know what this cheaper quote is going to be but the people at Honda certainly seem afraid when we say we can go public with the info. We have a post crash service report from the Honda people saying the airbag was faulty and failed to deploy so that should be sufficient proof in our favor.

Now I don't know if I should start a new thread about this but I thought I would post here first. What do people here think we should do? Consumer court? Media? We already tried Honda Japan and they said they can't do anything please deal with their Indian reps. Any suggestions are welcome

In other news. The Prado is back after its overhaul and it feels good as new. The only things remaining are the side mirrors (one of the motors is broken), a front guard and the ICE. Will post pics of the car sometime soon.
Old 8th July 2009, 09:31   #23
BHPian

OK,

Just an update from my side. We still haven't decided on the 2nd car yet. But right now there is a new entrant into the whole scenario while one of the previous three options has dropped out.

So now, besides the Accord and the Corolla (which might drop out of the running soon), we have <drumroll>

The Skoda Superb.

A family friend bought this car and my dad checked it out and loved it. He liked it so much that he's even willing to take a chance with Skoda's A.S.S. here in Delhi just for that car.

So my question is, in a direct head to head comparison between the Accord (2.4) and the Superb (1.8 or 2.0D and ignoring the A.S.S.) which car is better? I know the Accord is supposedly more refined and its a Honda but I keep reading about how amazing the superb is. Just wanted to hear some opinions on this. Also, which car is more fun to drive?

Also, is the Superb that good a car that it is worth taking the risk with a lousy after sales experience?
Old 8th July 2009, 14:15   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
A family friend bought this car and my dad checked it out and loved it. He liked it so much that he's even willing to take a chance with Skoda's A.S.S. here in Delhi just for that car.
The Superb is an outstanding car.

Sadly, company support + after-sales are the exact opposite. Search the forum to know more.
Old 9th July 2009, 06:35   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

@aditya: there is no doubt the Superb is more comfortable, loaded, safer than the Accord. However, the Accord will be easier to drive, though not as stable.
However, I would say avoid the Superb. Poor aftersales can mess up a lovely car, and I don't think your father would want to deal with any more headache after the honda issue.
Heres an option: get a cheaper car till Skoda improves their aftersales? And if they dont, a newer and better car will always be in the offing from other manufacturers.
Old 12th July 2009, 03:24   #26
BHPian

interesting post and susequent replies.I am just wondering why one would spend so much after a car or suv for repairs and fixing up the interior,after all it is old, unless it is a classic or emotional ties etc.Can you recover what you put it in resale after few years when you decide to sell.I dont know how is the used car market in India.Why not get a new one now and enjoy it.Life is too short. Regarding the small cars i suggest go with honda accord.the four cylinder accords are also quite preppy and in the US, hondas do have a good resale value and may be true in India also.just my 2 cents
Old 13th July 2009, 01:37   #27
BHPian

when you are ready to spend upto almost 20 lacs on a car. then here is what you should be looking for.

1) looks--its most important that when you put your foot down and get out of the car and people start to judge you. this is how the world is.

accord -- this guy is a snob.

sonata -- uncle ji look. 40 something industrialist

superb -- this guy has some taste. this car can stand besides an audi or a bmw and still look hott!! it has its own personality.

engine and fuel econ

honda - it will be thirsty!!

sonata - looks cheaper and well cheaper to run

superb - petrol TFSI its turbocharged as well as supercharged if i am not wrong. 7 speed auto trans.

comfort- all are comfy more or less but superb has more headroom and legroom i think personally. looks like a classy limo.

i think superb it is man! go for it.
Old 16th July 2009, 20:50   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelo View Post
when you are ready to spend upto almost 20 lacs on a car. then here is what you should be looking for.

1) looks--its most important that when you put your foot down and get out of the car and people start to judge you. this is how the world is.

accord -- this guy is a snob.

sonata -- uncle ji look. 40 something industrialist

superb -- this guy has some taste. this car can stand besides an audi or a bmw and still look hott!! it has its own personality.

engine and fuel econ

honda - it will be thirsty!!

sonata - looks cheaper and well cheaper to run

superb - petrol TFSI its turbocharged as well as supercharged if i am not wrong. 7 speed auto trans.

comfort- all are comfy more or less but superb has more headroom and legroom i think personally. looks like a classy limo.

i think superb it is man! go for it.
IMO this is what people will think-
Honda- Its Honda
Sonata- Its Sonata [No offence to the company,its just the model]
Superb- Its Skoda [No offence to the model,its just about the Co & its A.S.S]
Old 16th July 2009, 22:24   #29
Senior - BHPian

I strongly suggest the Sonata Transform, as long as you are going to keep the car for more than 5 years and aren't adversely affected by resale value.
Old 17th July 2009, 17:36   #30
Senior - BHPian

adithya, now that your prado is back in shape, how about some pics of your prado both exterior and the new interiors??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks