Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which one to Buy Safari or Innova?
Tata Safari 18 47.37%
Toyota Innova 20 52.63%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2009, 18:40   #1
BHPian

Upgrading from santro - clash of the titans - Innova vs Safari

Hi Guys!

This is my first post although ive been reading a lot, straight to the topic:

We have been using a santro for two years and its so far a happy expreiance, 28k covered and its a comfotrable car in city as well in most highways were the roads are pretty decent, I am not pedel to metal..Usually! and had been getting very good mielage the most being 19kmpl on a 700km trip with four on board. At first we thought of exchanging the santro for the I10 pretty good shift but, since then my inlaws are suffering from back pains during long journeys and I thought a good midsizer wouuld job and hit the market, boy and I have choices and choices....Even though I am a reg Autocar reader and have a fair bit of knowledge on cars and thier mechanicals I am still not able to come to a conclusion on the comfort part. Our bugget is 8 to 9L and main crieteria is comfort and decent mielage and not to forget the looks! it should be slightly upmarket, Neibhours envy Owners pride

These are the options:

1. Tata safari LX 2008 brand new with dealer, thats what he tells and offers a 80K discount - new one costs 8.63 on road in coimbatore so 2008 model is 7.8 on road, has there been any changes in safari from sep 2008?.

2. Fiat Lenia Emotion (not emotion pack) 8.5L on road after approx 15k cash discount.

3. New Honda city, not sure about the price as did not Td it think its 8.6 for the basic version and 9.1L for the S version

4. Maruti Suzuki SX4 Zxi, not Td ed but heard dealers are offering 40 to 50k discount, that minus the onroard price of 8.1L is 7.6..tempting! coz its fully loaded with alloys, climate control..etc.

Guys take your time, I have 15 days more to get a car and 60 to become a dad!
Old 13th June 2009, 21:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

1+ for fiat linea

Sx4 has a bad rear seat especially in the middle there is a bump which would aggravate the low back ache in addition to the stiff suspension reported all over the team-bhp. On the mileage grounds too it gives 8-9kmpl inside city which is average when compared to other sedans you have listed

Honda city costs 9.40-45 on road which is 50k above your maximum budget. though the ride is comfortable and refinement is good, it doesnt even come with a alloy or a foglamp which is not the worth the money you spend.

tata safari would be a good choice . Due to upright seating and all togather a different segment it is a nice proposition

Linea is the underdog. Performs well ( i have it and i know it is not underpowered). back seat is especially very comfortable with a/c rear vents and no bump in middle at all. Gives a pretty decent mileage for petrol 11-12kmpl and is loaded with gizmos and would be a fun to drive. It is also loaded with acc and alloys. Do consider a petrol emotion pack which falls well within your budget as it has host of other features too ( emotion pack costs only 8.2l and not 8.5 a you have stated, emotion is further less 7.8l).

So the choice would be a tussle between safari and linea

My choice

1. Linea
2. Safari
3.ANHC
4.SX4

Last edited by geeash : 13th June 2009 at 21:56.
Old 13th June 2009, 22:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

if you want neighbours envy, nothing does it quite like the linea!
Old 13th June 2009, 22:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

Welcome aboard! Use the search and you will get TD/long term ownership reviews of every car you shortlisted. For me, the Safari always wins as I simply love it. Honda cars are excellent in fit and finish, although typically priced on the higher side.

PS: Read somewhere that a completely new Safari might be coming early next year. That is, if and only if this outdated stuff bothers you.
Old 14th June 2009, 09:07   #5
BHPian

Thanks geeash, greenhorn, Equus for your inputs.

geeash, 8.5L on road is for the diesel version think you have suggested petrol neway will consider both, also prices in coimbatore are 10 to 20K less when compared to chennai, in coimbatore ANHC S version costs 9.2 onroad.

Also one more development- the 2008 safari with the showroom in august, at that time price was 8L on road, I am planning to ask the dealer for 80k discount on 8L, if at all he is willing for 7.2L then is it a good buy?

Thanks in advance for all the contributors.
Old 14th June 2009, 10:43   #6
Senior - BHPian

any vehicle that has spent more than a month or so in a tata showroom will have accumulated enough problems of its own, and probably those of others.
watch out if its a tata vehicle, and absolutely do not buy if its a fiat vehicle
would suggest to stay far, FAR away .

Last edited by greenhorn : 14th June 2009 at 10:45.
Old 14th June 2009, 11:30   #7
Senior - BHPian

Linea is the good choice and sx4 is the VFM car.Discuss these 2 in detail and decide.I have avoided the ANHC due to lack of features and price.Why dint you consider the verna and the fiesta.Both are cheaper cars.There are some innovative features like blue and me in the linea.Think of it and decide whether its of use to you.Its a big car almost in the A4 category due to the length and A3 pricing.only point i doubt is the service and the service costs.talking of the back seats in SX4 -which car gives the ultimate comfort in the rear midle seats?I am not aware of one in this segment.In my views all A3 and A4 cars are good for 4 people.And SX4 rear seats (dont consider the middle one)is one of the best in the class.I hope SX4 owners would agree on it.

ram
Old 14th June 2009, 14:15   #8
BHPian

greenhorn, I think you are right. now I am thinking how could Tafe acess have not sold the safari for more than 9 months..hmm

Hi Ram, Fiesta is a good one even my brother in law has it. Actually I was the one who took the car from coimbatore to chennai to deliver to them 2years back but somehow it does not give you a luxary car feel. Verna is ok but it looks more like Jazz, least for the lack of the boot but will surely give a TD.
Old 14th June 2009, 20:45   #9

The answer to your question about any changes to the Safari since September 2008 is YES.

1.There are turn indicators on the external Rear View(wing) mirrors of the vehicle.

2.The seat height adjustment on the EX, GX and VX models now rises to a little lesser than the earlier maximum height achievable in a similar model.

3.The clutch seems to be a lot softer than the earlier batches.

4.The external2.2VTT badging is now bolder and available on the front fenders of the SUV.

And I have been able to notice all of these after driving a few vehicles from the earlier batches and the current ones across EX, GX and VX variants.

So if you are going in for the Safari, please consider only a recent mfg batch. Based on my experience with the recently mfg one, I think they have incorporated some improvements in the vehicles as and when they received the feedback from existing customers.

All in all I am trying to say that the vehicle seems to be evolving into a better one with each batch(though not sure about the quality of interior, but it does not really bother me personally).

P.S: The above opinions are all based on my personal observations only.
Old 14th June 2009, 22:02   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Why dont you get yourself a brand new entry level Scorpio? 7.2L ex-showroom. Great for bad roads and neighbour's envy. Certainly a lot more VFM than the similarly specced Safari (Have TATA revised their prices yet?)
Old 15th June 2009, 10:03   #11
BHPian

Great observation allenzaracer!, I too noticed the same.

Red Liner is the scorpio as comfortable a safari or Lieniea?, I am not sure as I have not Td it, I think TATA have reduced thier prices a bit atleast that's what the sales person told me.
Old 15th June 2009, 10:41   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Some questions:

How much do you drive daily, and where?

Will you be using this car mainly, or will it be a family car?

Will you be driving it?

Do you need the boot? A hatch will be as comfortable and a lot cheaper. Eg: i20, Getz CRDi, Grand Punto, etc.

Congrats on soon to be born baby!
Old 15th June 2009, 14:18   #13
BHPian

Hei lambo, thanks!

main purpose is family tranportation, mostly it will be chafuer driven and about Km normal city usage will be under 50 and monthly once long trip approx 700km

Boot is not mandatory but thought will be useful in long trips, space and comfort is the main aspect coz most people in the house have back pain.
Old 15th June 2009, 21:42   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
geeash, 8.5L on road is for the diesel version think you have suggested petrol neway will consider both, also prices in coimbatore are 10 to 20K less when compared to chennai
Mate the price of linea diesel is 9.15l in chennai and 8.2 l for petrol. In coimbatore it is going to be even cheaper.
Quote:
Its a big car almost in the A4 category due to the length and A3 pricing.only point i doubt is the service and the service costs.talking of the back seats in SX4 -which car gives the ultimate comfort in the rear midle seats?
As for the service costs, the spare parts of linea is 40% subsidised and is cheaper than any other competitor sedans. Even the electrically operated ORVM costs only 1400 rs. the A.S.S is not as good as honda but it is definitely improving a lot. Linea is definitely comfortable for 5 people . I can vouch for it Due to flattest middle portion when compared to other sedans.
Old 15th June 2009, 21:59   #15
Senior - BHPian

The common consensus regarding Diesel engines seems to be that if the running is going to be above 24000 Km in a year, then they are worth it. Unless your running is going to double (from the present 14000 Km a year in the Santro) please stick to a petrol engined car.

Of the lot, Linea seems to be the best buy. It has excellent interiors and comes with very nice features. It would be followed by the ANHC.

Cheers,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks