Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2009, 12:30   #1
Senior - BHPian

A Car/SUV to conquer mountains and plains !!

Yes, it finally time to say goodbye to another love of my life. She was tortured, she was anguished, she was tormented, she was tested to its limits, she was driven hard at times but she covered all hindrances with flying covers without a gulp. What else?? Ohho... She is none other than my Chevrolet Optra (What was in your mind?? Dirty minds!!)

Now for a new Car/SUV my requirements are as following
1)Needs to run around 70-90 Kms/day in city i.e. Diesel preferred, will not mind picking up a petrol otherwise. If it suits my requirement.
2)Automatics transmission is preferred, but still manual transmission will be ok.
3)Should be comfortable for my huge built structure as my height is 6.4” and mostly the car will be driven by me only.
4)Should accommodate 5 people with ease during long trips.
5)I want it all i.e. should be loaded with latest features. Most important feature which I will not wish to miss anyhow is ABS in case if the loaded variant ain’t in my budget.

Budget is around 10-12 Lakhs and usage will be like 1600Kms/month in town & a 200-300Kms outstation trip once in 2 months. I will even not mind picking up a used & less-mileage one if it suits my requirement. Whatever it is, I will be keeping the car for atleast 5 years.

Now, I need to undertake Leh-Laddakh trip next year anyhow (Self-commitment) and use that particular vehicle in town as my daily drive also. This daily drive car needs to be really fuel efficient and low maintenance one with less service centre visits sessions.

Now options I have in my mind are
a)An SUV + A fuel efficient hatchback/sedan for my daily drive – Cannot get two new cars in my budget also I am a bit hesitate about purchasing a car and letting it park at home (Read depreciation loss) just for a Leh-laddakh trip.
b)An SUV – Will be costly to run around in town. But undoubtedly it’s like dream come true to own an SUV and run in town. (PS: Love those scary faces after looking at SUV coming that have a habit to take a steep cut just in front of you.)
c)A Sedan – Which sedan will be able to handle leh-laddakh tortures and comfortable outstation trips for 5 people?

Kindly pour in your suggestions and help me solving the jargon..
Old 24th September 2009, 12:41   #2
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Suggestions:
1. Top end VLX Scorpio AutoTransmission 2.2 MHawk with Micro Hybrid tech with ABS etc or the one just below the Top end version.
2. Top end VX Safari with all the fiddlythings or the GX version which comes very well loaded.

For both city + highway use you will find the Scorpio to be much easier to drive, maneuvre and park in comparison to the Safari.
The Comfort levels in the Safari are superior to the Scorpio as is the front seat comfort/ legroom for someone of your height. For me at 6ft 2 the Scorpio is very nice but the Safari certainly has more legroom.
Both these are highly capable of the Leh Ladakh journey.

At this budget, frankly these are the only 2 options available from the SUV side.

If you're ok with it, then consider an Innova top end. Its perfect, car like behaviour, super comfy, reliable, diesel - not sure about the Auto Transmission bit though. But the Innova is large and a bit unwieldy to park in tight places.

Am sure the reliable Toyota can handle the Leh Ladakh bit too.

Alternatively you can consider an Used Hyundai Tucson or Pajero - I know Tucsons are available between 9-13 lacs (used) and Pajero's too at about 10-14 lacs (used).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
Yes, it finally time to say goodbye to another love of my life. She was tortured, she was anguished, she was tormented, she was tested to its limits, she was driven hard at times but she covered all hindrances with flying covers without a gulp. What else?? Ohho... She is none other than my Chevrolet Optra (What was in your mind?? Dirty minds!!)

Now for a new Car/SUV my requirements are as following
1)Needs to run around 70-90 Kms/day in city i.e. Diesel preferred, will not mind picking up a petrol otherwise. If it suits my requirement.
2)Automatics transmission is preferred, but still manual transmission will be ok.
3)Should be comfortable for my huge built structure as my height is 6.4” and mostly the car will be driven by me only.
4)Should accommodate 5 people with ease during long trips.
5)I want it all i.e. should be loaded with latest features. Most important feature which I will not wish to miss anyhow is ABS in case if the loaded variant ain’t in my budget.

Budget is around 10-12 Lakhs and usage will be like 1600Kms/month in town & a 200-300Kms outstation trip once in 2 months. I will even not mind picking up a used & less-mileage one if it suits my requirement. Whatever it is, I will be keeping the car for atleast 5 years.

Now, I need to undertake Leh-Laddakh trip next year anyhow (Self-commitment) and use that particular vehicle in town as my daily drive also. This daily drive car needs to be really fuel efficient and low maintenance one with less service centre visits sessions.

Now options I have in my mind are
a)An SUV + A fuel efficient hatchback/sedan for my daily drive – Cannot get two new cars in my budget also I am a bit hesitate about purchasing a car and letting it park at home (Read depreciation loss) just for a Leh-laddakh trip.
b)An SUV – Will be costly to run around in town. But undoubtedly it’s like dream come true to own an SUV and run in town. (PS: Love those scary faces after looking at SUV coming that have a habit to take a steep cut just in front of you.)
c)A Sedan – Which sedan will be able to handle leh-laddakh tortures and comfortable outstation trips for 5 people?

Kindly pour in your suggestions and help me solving the jargon..

Last edited by shankar.balan : 24th September 2009 at 12:45.
Old 24th September 2009, 12:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

The options from SUV and MPV are :
1) Innova
2) Safari
3) Scorpio
4) Xylo

There is only one sedan that can be considered, its optra magnum diesel.

Rather than buying two cars, its better to go for one. However, if you still plan to go for two cars, IMHO Alto + Xylo will work out the best.
Old 24th September 2009, 12:57   #4
BANNED

Yes this is a good suggestion - Xylo is a great VFM option too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
1) Innova
2) Safari
3) Scorpio
4) Xylo

Rather than buying two cars, its better to go for one. However, if you still plan to go for two cars, IMHO Alto + Xylo will work out the best.
Old 24th September 2009, 12:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

Go for the Innova. Suits your requirements very well, especially the reliability factor.
Old 24th September 2009, 13:16   #6
BHPian

I would recommend the refreshed Scorpio with auto transmission and a 4wd.(if that combination is available) The Scorp is very easy to drive and manoeuvre in city traffic. It has a smaller turning radius, handles very well and is quite peppy with the accelaretion. Overall it's stress free driving the Scorpio in the city. If you wish to take it to Ladakh I would recommend that you get a 4wd however there are some folks here who have done Ladakh in their 2wd Scorps too.
The only potential problem for you would be legroom. I'm 6ft2" and though it's just about ok, I really wish I had a few more inches of room. Overall the Scorp drives like a dream and is perhaps one of the best in it's class for Indian city driving. The only things I wish I had in my Scorpio are airbags and a nice big panoramic sunroof.
You will get expert opinion and advice here , I would recommend that you shortlist the vehicles that are recommended, test drive them all and see which one you're most comfortable with.

Last edited by Wolfheart : 24th September 2009 at 13:18.
Old 24th September 2009, 13:20   #7
BANNED

hey - i would add ABS to that
and dont you think, given our climate here a "moon-roof" would be more appropriate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
The only things I wish I had in my Scorpio are airbags and a nice big panoramic sunroof.
Old 24th September 2009, 13:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Suggestions:
1. Top end VLX Scorpio AutoTransmission 2.2 MHawk with Micro Hybrid tech with ABS etc or the one just below the Top end version.
2. Top end VX Safari with all the fiddlythings or the GX version which comes very well loaded.
Well, who would not love to own a scorpio and safari but somehow i found they are less much fuel efficient for my usage i.e. i assume at max they can deliver 10-10.5 Km/l in city

Any sedan suggestion ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
1) Innova
2) Safari
3) Scorpio
4) Xylo

Xylo is certainly high on my list - High FE - 13-14 km/L as reported by members, complete family car, fully loaded. But somehow I am not able gulp squirrel shaped front (my prespective).

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Go for the Innova. Suits your requirements very well, especially the reliability factor.
Carries a bit taxi image for me. (Again my perspective)
Old 24th September 2009, 13:25   #9
BHPian

Scorpio is not yet available in 4*4 with AT. Else, it would have been a great option. Only 4*4 AT SUV at the lowest price point is currently Endeavour 3.0 ( around 20.5 OTR- should be slightly cheaper in Delhi) but thats beyond your budget.

Scorpio 4*4 - is not yet available with Micro Hybrid ( Euro IV) option but thats the best bet in my opinion as its more comfortable in towns- tight turns due to lower turning radius.Scorpio VLX has many more features for comfort, info and safety.

Second option available is Safari 4*4-GX/ VX- sometimes U turns become difficult in tight places - else better than Scorpio in ground clearance - useful for Leh trip and potholed( read craterful) roads.

I have learnt that 4*4 is desirable for Leh trips but not mandatory and in that case Scorpio AT meets your requirements. Innova should also be tested. Take a test drive - think over - shortlist- go again for a test drive- finalise- book - pickup- enjoy!
Old 24th September 2009, 13:31   #10
BANNED

my 2.6 Scorpio normally gives me about 10-11 in the typical start stop city traffic in Bangalore with AC.
It has delivered a max 12-13 on the highway (with some hill driving thrown in).

the new 2.2 Mhawk is supposed to be a little more Fuel efficient than the older engine. I would guess in normal city conditions you cant really expect more than 12 - ish. This is why I suggested the Micro Hybrid Auto Transmission version. You will find it easy to drive and will save a bit of mileage via the Micro Hybrid + will do your little bit for the environment as well. The Scorpio as far as I know does not come with 4WD Automatic Transmission.

Thus the Scorp might be the best choice available at the moment if you want a city drive monster which is also capable of going to places off the beaten track as well.

Sedan - the earlier suggestion of Chevy Optra Magnum may be a good idea or you may want to wait for the Chevy Cruze.

Quote:
Well, who would not love to own a scorpio and safari but somehow i found they are less much fuel efficient for my usage i.e. i assume at max they can deliver 10-10.5 Km/l in city

Any sedan suggestion ??

Xylo is certainly high on my list - High FE - 13-14 km/L as reported by members, complete family car, fully loaded. But somehow I am not able gulp squirrel shaped front (my prespective).

Carries a bit taxi image for me. (Again my perspective)
Old 24th September 2009, 13:33   #11
Team-BHP Support

With your budget you can afford Safari GX 4x4, it comes with ABS, the feature you need.
Other option is MHawk 4x4, I am told its available on order.

As for sedans, only vehicle I can think of is SX4. It has the highest GC among all.

both of the above do not have AT. Mhawk is available in 4x4 AT I think, need to confirm with mahindra dealer, because I read somewhere Mhawk 4x4 was first introduced only for AT and in MT it came later. Behram will know the answer.
Old 24th September 2009, 13:35   #12
BANNED

good suggestion the SX4 - anyway there is a Diesel version expected soon
however, it would be quite cramped for 5 medium-large-ish people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
With your budget you can afford Safari GX 4x4, it comes with ABS, the feature you need.
Other option is MHawk 4x4, I am told its available on order.

As for sedans, only vehicle I can think of is SX4. It has the highest GC among all.

both of the above do not have AT. Mhawk is available in 4x4 AT I think, need to confirm with mahindra dealer, because I read somewhere Mhawk 4x4 was first introduced only for AT and in MT it came later. Behram will know the answer.
Old 24th September 2009, 13:42   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
I would recommend the refreshed Scorpio with auto transmission and a 4wd.(if that combination is available) The Scorp is very easy to drive and manoeuvre in city traffic. It has a smaller turning radius, handles very well and is quite peppy with the accelaretion. Overall it's stress free driving the Scorpio in the city. If you wish to take it to Ladakh I would recommend that you get a 4wd however there are some folks here who have done Ladakh in their 2wd Scorps too.
The only potential problem for you would be legroom. I'm 6ft2" and though it's just about ok, I really wish I had a few more inches of room. Overall the Scorp drives like a dream and is perhaps one of the best in it's class for Indian city driving. The only things I wish I had in my Scorpio are airbags and a nice big panoramic sunroof.
You will get expert opinion and advice here , I would recommend that you shortlist the vehicles that are recommended, test drive them all and see which one you're most comfortable with.
It would had been a straight comparo between safari-scorpio, if scorpio had some few more inches of leg space in front and middle row.

However, as per my understating mahindra is far more customer oriented then that of Tatas. reason is the attitude of service people, i remember when i used to get my Indica serviced at service station people were there like "Chalta hai... hota rahta hai... Tata hai naa.. " Even the service center GM had this attitude. However, I had a guy from mahindra after my life for a feedback form just upon a visit to their showroom inquiring about new scorpio. Upon filling up the form, got 2 calls from mahindra discussing the feedback I had mentioned. I was like

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
hey - i would add ABS to that
and dont you think, given our climate here a "moon-roof" would be more appropriate?
Touch-wood.. this feature will indeed make scorpio a complete irresistible package.
Old 24th September 2009, 13:51   #14
Senior - BHPian

As you are worried about fuel efficiency chuck the idea of AT. Also any used Pajero or Endeaver will not meet your fuel efficiency criteria assuming you are able to source one in your budget.

A 10 - 12 Fuel efficiency figure for 2+ ton vehicle is not bad actually what more you expect ? Mircohybrid just increases fuel efficiency by 5% as per M&M and Bosch sites and actually more to meet Euro iv norms coming in 2010 which mHawck engine does not fulfill as of today even with ULS Diesel.

Is 4X4 a strict requirement ? Now since it is Leh-Laddakh and probably you may want to go where no 4X2 goes I think it may be.

If you are considering a 4X4 then Safari GX/VX is the same choice in the budget else consider any other MPV you like but then a 4X2 Safari is better then any other 4X2 in this price range for bad roads - LOL-

Quote:
However, as per my understating mahindra is far more customer oriented then that of Tatas. reason is the attitude of service people, i remember when i used to get my Indica serviced at service station people were there like "Chalta hai... hota rahta hai... Tata hai naa.. " Even the service center GM had this attitude. However, I had a guy from mahindra after my life for a feedback form just upon a visit to their showroom inquiring about new scorpio. Upon filling up the form, got 2 calls from mahindra discussing the feedback I had mentioned. I was like
Are Sir ji sales and service are two different department in every company it was Mahindra sales guy who was after your life for feedback
Any way if feedback collection is any criteria Safari service is excellent at least here in Bangalore.

Last edited by amitk26 : 24th September 2009 at 13:54.
Old 24th September 2009, 14:03   #15
BANNED

yes a little extra leg room in the Scorpio would have been very nice to have.

Ref Service etc, I ve found that the Mahindra chaps here in Bangalore are extremely obliging and helpful.

Ref ABS - the top end VLX Scorpio has it anyway.

2WD is more than enough since most of its life the Scorpio will spend commuting up and down on normal city roads.

Normal out of station highway trips, the occasional hill trip and even a Leh Ladakh summer trip can be handled easily by the 2WD Scorp for the most part.

Quote:
It would had been a straight comparo between safari-scorpio, if scorpio had some few more inches of leg space in front and middle row.

Touch-wood.. this feature will indeed make scorpio a complete irresistible package.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks