Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2009, 14:03   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranil View Post
Any idea how are the delivery times for both vehicles
Anil
When i checked with them regarding SX4, they said it can be given immediately. Also, the sales guy said they have not got any bookings on .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post
^^
i20
IMO, technicals aside, a lady would rather be seen in a cuty i20 than that macho looking SX4. Depends on individual tastes though ..
This would be more for me and could be used by my wife in the future. well, i was thinking size should't be a problem with AT
Old 30th November 2009, 20:55   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
But the i20 automatic will just give you a "feel good" factor like no other. Its quality is way superior to any of the cars listed here. Great looks, awesome interiors, high on features.....yes, the price is premium. But if you can afford it, and its in your allocated budget, go for it!
...is exactly what I was about to say. I simply don't get why people can't get over the fixation with the "above Rs.x = sedan" theory. If we don't kick this, we simply don't deserve Golf GTi's and other hot hatches !! Honestly, if you're not obsessed with a boot or the so-called status symbols that sedans are made out to be in India, just go for the i20 A/T. It's powerful enough for the city, has amazing interior quality and is loaded to the gills with so much practical and usable equipment, you won't regret your decision one bit. I had a tough time convincing my folks to sell the Accent and get an i20, but they simply love the car now and are thoroughly convinced that we made the right choice.
Old 5th December 2009, 12:07   #18
BHPian

@flyingspur, am also in a similar confusion

Just had a new thought, Can somebody tell me if a used NHC CVT will be better than a i10/i20.

Will the CVT be better in terms of performance, handling and mileage.
Old 5th December 2009, 12:53   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoneer View Post
@flyingspur, am also in a similar confusion

Just had a new thought, Can somebody tell me if a used NHC CVT will be better than a i10/i20.

One of the drawbacks of CVT is the 'rubber band' effect, where the increase in engine speed doesn't simulaneously result in the speed of the car. So you hear the engine roaring but it takes a while for the car to get the mometum, which can be a strange feeling, probably until you get used to it.
CVTs are supposed to help keeping the engine speed in the meat of the powerband and change the gear ratio contiuosly to vary speed and this helps to get better FE then the torque converter based ATs.
In any case the FE of NHC CVT wil be consideraly better then i10/20.
Old 5th December 2009, 17:23   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@flyingspur, am also in a similar confusion.
i20 A/T ? Go for it yaar.

Quote:
Looks like these are your primary concerns. One, CVT has got nothing to do with handling. Two, performance-wise it'll lag behind. Three, CVT's (or atleast the NCH CVT) returns very good fuel efficiency, so it will score on this front.
Old 5th December 2009, 23:29   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
i20 A/T ? Go for it yaar.

Looks like these are your primary concerns. One, CVT has got nothing to do with handling. Two, performance-wise it'll lag behind. Three, CVT's (or atleast the NCH CVT) returns very good fuel efficiency, so it will score on this front.
Did a test drive of i10 & i20 MT today.
i10 - drove in a stop and go traffic and it seemed to pull well and run effortlessly. Felt Good. But then i am a bit larger frame and the seating seemed small for me. well, i was sort of overflowing on the sides.

Total discount came to about 37000 rs.
i20 - Good spacious interiors, nice design and quite impressive i should say. Drove it on a free road and it felt comfortable. Unfortunately, this hyundai motor plaza dealer did not have an AT and i would like to have a feel before i can take a decisions. planning to check with other hyundai dealers if they have an AT.

Also, read a couple of reviews in tbhp that there is a turbo lag in i20 and we need to constantly downshift, will that be the same in AT as well.

No discounts on i20. Delivery also can take about a months' time

Verna Diesel: the vehicle had gone out and when i asked them to bring the vehicle home, they said they are very busy and may not be able to bring it home.. Anyway, i was also not keen on Verna, so skipped it.
Discounts to the tune of 47000 available in Verna.

Last edited by ikoneer : 5th December 2009 at 23:31.
Old 6th December 2009, 02:50   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, read a couple of reviews in tbhp that there is a turbo lag in i20 and we need to constantly downshift, will that be the same in AT as well.
Turbo lag in the 1.4 A/T petrol ? There's no turbo in the Gamma. That's only in the D, and the D is only available with a manual transmission.

Quote:
Verna Diesel: the vehicle had gone out and when i asked them to bring the vehicle home, they said they are very busy and may not be able to bring it home.. Anyway, i was also not keen on Verna, so skipped it.
Discounts to the tune of 47000 available in Verna.
If you want a performance diesel, it's between this and the Optra Magnum. Period.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 6th December 2009 at 02:53.
Old 6th December 2009, 07:39   #23
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

i can speak for the SX4 AT - comes only in ZXi trim level. price on road Bangalore 9.64 lacs.
lovely car, very deep cossety seats. nice GC, good responsive petrol engine and bitey kind of AT transmission.
All good, considering...

Except the price - this does not feel like a 10 lac Rs car notwithstanding all the bells and whistles that you get. and hey, the "leather" option at 10 lac plus! - if one really wants to commit bovine murder and clothe one's seats with their outer crust a la the cavemen of old then might as well go to Stanley and do it for 25-30grand post purchase of normal SX4 AT! why pay the wobbits at Maruti a whopping 50K for gurgaon buffalo hide? (this latter sentiment was echoed the day before yesterday by the salesman at MAruti on Lavelle road - possibly not quite in the same words but one sort of gets the gist hey?

In comparison with the Honda, then, the Honda at 11 odd is so extremely overpriced, especially considering the useless trim levels and the fact that one gets absolutely nothing extra at all! Add the useless GC to this and you have an estupido little city cruiser (given Indian roads) which costs way too much.
Who on earth do honda think they are? Are they SO ASPIRATIONAL that they can get away with this? PErsonally I would NOT buy a Honda under any circumstances.

Toyota Altis AT - hey man, Im not looking at spending moon rocket money for what is essentially a city cruiser and an occasional holiday wagon!! Expensive is the first word that springs to mind, though the vehicles are well appointed and loaded with some good features!

Ref Hyundai - end of the day it is a very good VFM proposition - decent amount of bang for the buck! But it is still a wannabe Korean though personally I love the I 20's looks. As someone said, if they shove in a rather larger engine in it then its a pretty good show! But knowing them, I m pretty sure they wont! The Verna is a bit of a dark horse here but true to Hyundai, most of their really good vehicles somehow continue to remain dark horses I dont know why!

I wish Maruti would introduce the Suzuki Swift Sport version here in India with the same 1.6 SX4 engine and the fat tyres and an automatic transmission option as well. For that car, I guess, just because it has the looks and in the new engine avatar, will have the performance to match coupled with the fact that it looks so delicious and has an excellent sporty chassis, hey I believe it would be a blast! ANd Im sure Maruti will be able to keep the prices at a decent level considering the huge amount of indigenization they are capable of!!

scorpio AT - i ve driven it and I like it. nice fat SUV, easy to drive, no problem with "clutch foot ache", good torque, easy to park and use. but it is priced similar to a space ship at 11.5 lacs! a whopping 3 lacs between the base LX MT and the VLX AT! Thats crazy! and as I understand it, the company they are sourcing the AT from in Oz-land has been bought over by the nasty little neighbours that India has on its North Eastern border! there are precious few Scorp AT's on the road and precious little real user feedback too, which can be a bit irritating because one likes real user feedback more than the vapid rabbity gutless half baked cliche's used by commercial brochures and magazine/ TV reviewers in general!

looks like we are sort of condemned to dreaming about the good things and/ or paying through the nose and various other apertures for top cars - so much for the "India Centric" view that all these car manufacturers seem to pay so much lip service to!!!
Bah!! and for good measure, Tchah! and Pah!!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 6th December 2009 at 07:55.
Old 6th December 2009, 12:00   #24
BHPian

[quote=flyingspur;1618448]Turbo lag in the 1.4 A/T petrol ? [\quote]

My bad, not much technical though. Basically just wanted to check on the mentioned under performance in i20 MT and whether its' the same in AT. Agreed both are not the same engines.

@shankar.balan:
Very aptly said, for the kind of money that we are paying the end product is not something we fall head over heels. If you compare the same models that are sold outside India and what we have in India the difference is very enormous, i think the focus in indian market is more on the mileage than anything else.

The specifications and features are not even close to uniform among the cars and the price between them is so high, it makes me wonder whether it's really worth spending so much. But then we need to make a decision on what's available.

So many cars and so little choice.
Old 6th December 2009, 15:08   #25
Senior - BHPian

Let me indulge in some prophesy. You are going to buy a i20.

Now lets see if I can guess the colour!
Old 10th December 2009, 17:21   #26
BHPian

After long time, some one have new thread on AT. WOW!!!
Good to know your want AT and serious about it. It took me long time to find good AT in Indian market. There is no much choice. Look for proven technology. The company which is not sure about it, do't buy. e.g. GM launched AT in Optra and then stopped. Maruti Suzuki do not have any core business in AT, look at their models world wide. They are not serious about it. If you want to go AT then look at Hyundai, Toyota, Honda. I believe only these three brands are serious for AT below 12-14 lac. Toyota and Honda are world leaders and have great technology with AT. M&M is new baby, they have released version 1.0 of their AT, it's not matured. If you are putting hard earned money then select vendor who have proven technology in AT and serious about continuing AT models in India.
Old 10th December 2009, 22:43   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
Let me indulge in some prophesy. You are going to buy a i20.

Now lets see if I can guess the colour!
Nope Arun, you need to watch the star signs more closely. I am sure i will not go for i20 AT but then i10 is my only choice from hyundai stable as of now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkanitkar View Post
select vendor who have proven technology in AT and serious about continuing AT models in India.
Very well said, i am also very skeptical for trying out the first timers. once bitten already and twice shy now.
Old 13th December 2009, 22:36   #28
BHPian

Well. This thread reflects my current status very well. Though I am considering a slightly wider spread - from i20 Asta+ AT up to the Laura Ambiente AT.

After (almost) three years of driving a Cedia, I am looking for its replacement. Have decided to go for an AT.

Q: How is the ground clearance of i20 compared with ANHC and Laura? Going by their specs, all of them are between 160mm and 165mm. I don't see any much difference between these cars in terms of GC. Any clues on why ANHC is the only car that gets a caution for its GC?

i20 owners: Please share your experience on GC adequacy.
Old 13th December 2009, 22:43   #29
BHPian

@Gsha;

Well, i was talking to the Hyundai guys and they were saying that the i20 AT mileage could be very less. This is more of an export car that is being released to indian market with less power.
Old 13th December 2009, 22:50   #30
Senior - BHPian

nice comparo buddy.

one correction in your list should be that even the scorpio has steering controls for music & 4 speakers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks