Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2009, 13:16   #1
BHPian

Used Innova or Brand new PUNTO MJD E+

Guys,

I'm thinking of replacing my 3.5 year WagonR with a safer car.
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Preferably a [/FONT]diesel (though i'm not convinced yet as I have never driven a diesel car for more than 20 Kmts.)

I need expert advice to decide between the choices available

My city driving would be 1000 kmts a month and a quarterly long drive to my home town in kerala (350 Kmts from Bangalore). My WagonR is quite good in city and returns anything between 1.3 to 14.5 in Bangalore with 30 to 80% AC. On highway drives it returns 18 - 21.22(Max) with 100% AC.But I dont think it is safe enough on highways especially with my 1 year old onboard.

I'm thinking of good replacement within 7 lacks my priorities are listed below

1. Safe to drive on highways and good in city
2. Ride and Handling
3. Long term reliability
4. Maintenance cost
5. Fuel Efficient (Anything less than 11 in city will heart me if it is a petrol )
6. Fun/Easy to drive - 99% time I would be on driver seat.

I was thinking of a brand new Punto MJD or a used Innova I need expert advice here. Please feel free to add other choices too if you find it would suit me.

PS:I'm not considering TATA, HYUNDAI, GM and FORD IKON- It is not that I hate them but I dont want to own them.
Old 22nd December 2009, 13:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

Since your driving is mostly in city and at 1000 km per month , a petrol hatch will do.

For your requirements, IMO the Punto is preferable over the Innova.
Old 22nd December 2009, 13:40   #3
BHPian

Dear BMW-X5,

There is nothing like buying a brand new car. You get the full manufacturers warranty and a completely trouble free vehicle.

Your choices are slightly strange - A Punto MJD and Innova (Diesel I assume). I am not sure whether you'll be able to find a relatively low mileage Innova diesel in you budget.

There is a massive space difference between the two vehicles. If 7 seater is not a consideration then, Punto MJD E+ can serve you very well. It is great highway cruiser. You may find it a bit odd whiles switching to a diesel vehicle from a Petrol.
Old 22nd December 2009, 13:40   #4
BHPian

We agree to the fact that the Innova is spacious and comfortable for atleast 7 people, but you need to answer the question yourself and see how often would the car be driven with full load?
If less than 6, then a hatchback is your best bet.

Again like how sdp1975 mentioned, a petrol GP is better than a diesel.

Also, the Innova would not be as frugal as your Wagon R and its sometimes a pain to drive in bumper-to-bumper traffic inside the city

Last edited by gods-envy : 22nd December 2009 at 13:41.
Old 22nd December 2009, 13:58   #5
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

why not consider a new sedan in case you want a sort of midway point between ease of driving and parking in the city + some amount of passenger / load capability? whats the budget you have in mind?

you just might see value in some of the offerings from the Maruti stable - Dzire - SX4 Vxi etc.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 22nd December 2009 at 14:00.
Old 22nd December 2009, 14:04   #6
Senior - BHPian

I'd say a new Punto MJD E+ rather than a used Innova, if your space requirements are satisfied by the smaller hatch.
Old 22nd December 2009, 14:10   #7
BHPian

+1 to clever Max

If your space is taken care , I own a Punto MJD E+ & driven it around 9000kms it is a dream to drive car, the stability which it has on highways is amazing so take a TD & you would know what I am saying.
Old 22nd December 2009, 15:16   #8
BHPian

If you don't need a 7 seater, its a no-contest. Punto Emotion Pack all the way. Even the petrol should give you 11+ in the city
Old 22nd December 2009, 15:18   #9
BHPian

Since you drive around 1000km in Banglore city, there is no point in going for a Innova unless you always travel with more than four people around. I would suggest check the Ritz/Siwft/I20/Punto.

Test drive all of them and then decide
Old 22nd December 2009, 15:33   #10
BHPian

the options you have given are a bit strange..
well imho opinion i have never found innova as a driver's car although it is quite quick.its meant to be chauffered.
punto is a breeze to drive,it never leaves its line no matter how much you push it.
but then again 1000kms of city driving.it puts the things in favour of punto.
but why dont you look for a sedan.with your budget you can look for logan,dezire ,etc.they will give you more space,an upmarket feel and all have good highway manners.
Old 22nd December 2009, 15:33   #11
Senior - BHPian

Punto Petrol 1.4 E+

is what will do for you. Don't listen to junta speaking outta thin air. PM Nav75. exactly in your spot - he's LOVING his Punto and gets lovely mileage while thrashing diesel swifts etc

/am a swift D owner myself so I know what I'm saying.
//else i'd say a i10 1.2 Asta but you don't want it!
Old 22nd December 2009, 15:56   #12
Senior - BHPian

It should be Punto Petrol

Your usage does not require a diesel car. You can go for the Punto Emotion Pack Fire (Petrol). It satisfies requirements 1, 2, 5 and 6.
Old 22nd December 2009, 16:12   #13
BHPian

I dont think petrol will be better for him. Even my running was just 800 KMs before i bought my first diesel cal Punto But not it has somehow increased to as much as 1500Km per month just coz i love driving it so much. Well even if above is not true in this case i will still suggest an Punto MJD cause its equal peace of mind as Petrol Punto and moreover better resale. If you can afford diesel car than nothing like it. Go for it hands down.
Old 22nd December 2009, 16:42   #14
BHPian

Thanks for the response.

Yes I know my choices are strange but my priorities are clearly set.

I thought of Innova only beacuse it is ride is amazing and it is lot safer on higways and heard used Innovas is available 6.5 onwards Most of my long trips would be 2 or 3 adults + my little one and couple of bags(I know I dont really require an Innova here). Punto FIRE E + was my first choice, and I loved it on highways. But city drivability wasnt that great especially 2nd gear. I'm yet test drive the deisel. I cant even think of a chauffer touching my car, so it should be fun to drive too.
Need not to be ultra light as my WagonR (My WagonR's gear shift is a lot lot better than the WagonR we have at home, and most of the times I dont have to down shift below 3rd gear and power steering on the harder side comparing the other WagonR we have but lighter than a Santro for sure .

I didnt consider swift diesel because it is too common and no ZDI available.
I20 - Looks good but too expensive for a HYUNDAI and 1.2 is a pain to drive in the city.
Sedans - SX4, Desire? Desire is out of question I would stick to swift instead. SX4 VXI no If it is SX4 it should be ZXI and loved the new VVTi but I need to strech my budget too much - Is it woth waiting for another year and going for it?

After all I'm slightly baised towards PUNTO
Old 22nd December 2009, 16:54   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-X5 View Post
Thanks for the response.

Yes I know my choices are strange but my priorities are clearly set.

it is lot safer on higways and heard used Innovas is available 6.5 onwards
Will any sedan or hatchback (sub 7 lakh category) protect to the extent Innova does in case of a highway accident with every criteria being similar?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks