Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2010, 11:17   #1
BHPian

Stuck between the Cruze and Scorpio. EDIT : Got the Cruze!

Hi BHPians,

I need your suggestion on purchasing my Four Wheeler. Its a tough Choice for me.

I'm planning to buy a Four Wheeler by FEB 2010 end. I have 2 four wheelers of choice in different category, but gonna buy ONE.
1) Mahindra Scorpio VLX 2WD
2) Chevy Cruze LTZ

I have been reading this forum for last 6 months on both of these Vehicles and its a very tough choice. Its for a family of 3 only.

Please suggest.
Old 18th January 2010, 16:18   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

If it's a family of three only, why waste your time with an SUV? SUVs are inherently less efficient (weight), are dynamically poorer (handling) and lag behind equivalent sedans in performance. Unless you intend to drive with a more than 5 people on really rough roads, I don't see why you should bother with an SUV at all.

The Cruze suits your needs better. It's way quicker than the Scorpio, has far better handling and will prove more enjoyable to drive. Does your running justify a diesel? If not, I'd also recommend you to test-drive a Toyota Altis / Honda Civic. Petrol engine notwithstanding, either of these Japs are better packaged (more interior space) and will be easier to drive in the city.

Of course, if you are sold on the Cruze, go ahead. And treat us to a detailed ownership report thread
Old 18th January 2010, 16:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

For a family of 3, the Chevy CRUZE, of course! All the best
Old 18th January 2010, 16:53   #4
BHPian

Go for Cruze.... thats the best offering so far, Skoda can also be considered but be careful and informed with the dealers and such details.
Old 18th January 2010, 18:21   #5
BHPian

Yes go for Cruze nice car and good for long drives also.
If you are fascinate about SUV's then you can look for Scorpio
Old 18th January 2010, 18:24   #6
BHPian

Cruze! You'll always wonder what if I had gone with Cruze instead of Scorpio. But you're most probably going to forget Scorpio once you're Cruzing.*

Thread closed. ^^

* Only in case of a family of max five and fine roads to drive it on.
Old 19th January 2010, 06:08   #7
BHPian

Thanks to all my Fellow BHPians, I've decided to go with the Cruze.
I will be booking it on the 27th of this month.

Thanks once again.
Old 19th January 2010, 06:10   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If it's a family of three only, why waste your time with an SUV? SUVs are inherently less efficient (weight), are dynamically poorer (handling) and lag behind equivalent sedans in performance. Unless you intend to drive with a more than 5 people on really rough roads, I don't see why you should bother with an SUV at all.

The Cruze suits your needs better. It's way quicker than the Scorpio, has far better handling and will prove more enjoyable to drive. Does your running justify a diesel? If not, I'd also recommend you to test-drive a Toyota Altis / Honda Civic. Petrol engine notwithstanding, either of these Japs are better packaged (more interior space) and will be easier to drive in the city.

Of course, if you are sold on the Cruze, go ahead. And treat us to a detailed ownership report thread

Does your running justify a diesel?
I'll using it for nearly 400KM a month.

If not, I'd also recommend you to test-drive a Toyota Altis / Honda Civic.
Toyota is out of my Budget and Civic scraps the Ground every time I use it for parking in my Basement.
Old 20th January 2010, 03:49   #9
BHPian

Cruze!!! No looking back. Just Cruise :-)
Old 21st January 2010, 19:46   #10
BHPian

Guys allow me to offer a different perspective.

What are you looking to get out of your new vehicle? I was in a similar dillemma and had to choose between an SX4 and a Scorpio when I was looking for a new car. I went for the Scorpio VLX and have been very happy with it so far.

I'm the SUV type guy and the Scorp complements my lifestyle and the kind of person that I am. It also gives me a lot of room to carry all my stuff and all my friends in comfort when we go on a road trip or just go out to party. Agreed that the Cruz can be faster than the Scorpio but roads in India aren't exactly race tracks. How many times in a day would you be drving at speeds higher than 120 kmph anyway? Besides the Scorp has a higher ground clearance and allows you to go soft roading, off roading which a sedan may be incapable of. Many guys on TBHP have driven their Scorps all the way to Ladakh, for instance, I don't think you'd want to do that in a sedan! BTW the Scrorpio is no dumb sluggish hulk by any means. It's quite agile, has great pick up. short turning radius, responsive steering and is really fun to drive. It's also great value for money with all the features that a VLX comes with. Re-sale values are also better with the Scorp and they look so damn good!!

And no the Scorp is not meant for large families only. Most of the time it's just me and my GF that ride in my scorp. Identify what you're looking to get out of your new vehicle, test drive both of them and then decide which one to go for.

EDIT: Oops just noticed that youve decided to go for the Cruz.

Last edited by Wolfheart : 21st January 2010 at 19:54.
Old 21st January 2010, 22:07   #11
Senior - BHPian

Hi Pradeep2612, hope you have done extensive test drives of both the vehicles with your family, before reaching your conclusion!
I agree with Wolfheart on the "fun to drive" aspect of the Scorpio. The view from the high seating position is great too. All the best for your buy!
Old 21st January 2010, 22:17   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
I agree with Wolfheart on the "fun to drive" aspect of the Scorpio. The view from the high seating position is great too.
+1 to this, especially when you are based in Bangalore. Scorpio offers a high seating position and i like that compared to the low seating position of any sedan.

Very few cab drivers or autowalas would try and bully a Scorpio compared to a sedan. Actually you can bully them a bit

-Pallavi
Old 22nd January 2010, 09:32   #13
BHPian

Thanks Wolfheart, Mooza & Pallavi for your suggestion. I always wanted to go in for a Scorpio but my parents are against it.
They are my partial financiers, so I cannot go against their choice (BAD IDEA ). I have started the loan processing for my CRUZE, will be booking it on the 27th of this month.

ONE MORE THING CRUZE LOOKS LIKE A MONSTER SO NO BULLYING BY OTHER PEOPLE AROUND (Very few cab drivers or autowalas ).
Old 22nd January 2010, 09:57   #14
BHPian

ever thought of the skoda laura? they have cut price by 1 lakh to 11.99 lakhs why dont you take a test drive and see before you buy the cruze

Last edited by dockap : 22nd January 2010 at 09:59.
Old 22nd January 2010, 10:05   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
ever thought of the skoda laura? they have cut price by 1 lakh to 11.99 lakhs why dont you take a test drive and see before you buy the cruze

One of my choice was the SKODA. After going through TBHP and the reviews for SKODA (SALES AND A.S.S) decided to back off.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks