Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2010, 18:21   #1
BHPian

i20 dilemma - 2009 or 2010. Excise playing spoiltsport

This is the first thread I'm starting on t-bhp & would like to thank the innumerable members & the entire forum for helping me make the final choice of my car - a petrol i20 Asta 1.2

I'm still in college & this will be my first car & am eagerly looking forward to get my hands on it.
I've already selected the car & colour (dark grey metallic) & have received price quotes from a number of dealers ranging from 6.51 to 6.56 lakhs. But i was correctly informed today by Jayabharat Hyundai at Prabhadevi Mumbai that in all probability the new budget is due to increase excise duty on cars from 27 Feb to an estimated 12-16% from the current 8%, upping my total on-road price by 23000-46000 rupees.

I've inquired at all Hyundai dealers & its next to impossible to get the delivery of the car in the particular colour before that time to escape the excise increase (if it materializes).

The dealer said he has a November 2009 asta in dark grey & he's willing to part with it for the same price as a 2010 model, but he's throwing in art leather seat covers, teflon coating, anti-rust, floor mats & mud flaps for free all worth approx 15k with the car. The only thing worthy i find in this entire offering is the seat covers which are for just 6k, don't really care about the rest.

Now, i'm left wondering whether i should wait for a new car & suffer the changes in duty if they do occur or settle for the nov-2009 car (pending personal inspection).

Can someone please tell me if they have any idea about the new budget changes & what are the pitfalls of buying a 2009 car?
Old 14th February 2010, 11:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

Only resale value. If you're keeping it for 5+ years then it's not a problem. Check the car thoroughly during the PDI. And yeah, 15k worth of discounts and all is rubbish. Bargain for a ~20k cash discount instead. All these accessories are much cheaper outside.
Old 14th February 2010, 11:16   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
Only resale value.
If I'm not mistaken, resale value depends on the registration date on the RC. So buying this car is not a problem.

Quote:
And yeah, 15k worth of discounts and all is rubbish. Bargain for a ~20k cash discount instead. All these accessories are much cheaper outside.
Very true. I totally agree
Old 14th February 2010, 12:07   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

getting a nov2009 model and registering it in 2010 makes it a 2010 model.

you will need to carefully inspect the car;it could be that the dealer is willing to offer freebies because it is lying idle for three months and maybe a not-so-sought-after colour.

Yes,a cash discount is what you should ask for. Baki sab bakwaas
Old 14th February 2010, 12:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
If I'm not mistaken, resale value depends on the registration date on the RC. So buying this car is not a problem.
If you sell your car to a Team-BHP'ian, he'll look at the mfg. date
Old 14th February 2010, 12:57   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Only resale value. If you're keeping it for 5+ years then it's not a problem. Check the car thoroughly during the PDI. And yeah, 15k worth of discounts and all is rubbish. Bargain for a ~20k cash discount instead. All these accessories are much cheaper outside.
Exactly what i told him but he's not willing to budge. But anyways, spoke to my family & noone was comfortable with the 2009 car inspite of ready delivery. So, i've decided to risk the excise increase & just book a new car.

The dealers i spoke to (6 uptil now) were absolutely firm that they WILL NOT offer any cash discounts on 2010 car. I convinced one for a few freebies which he's agreed to part with (flaps, mats etc, nothing significant enough). Has anyone else been able to get any significant cash discount? Read a lotta people on the forum saying its not possible for the i20

Quote:
If you sell your car to a Team-BHP'ian, he'll look at the mfg. date
Exactly !!

I hated the treatment meted out by Hyundai Motor Plaza (Company showroom) in Lower Parel, so i've decided to take my business to Jayabharat, Prabhadevi. The risk includes a slightly delayed delivery as i'm not going to the company showroom.

Family's asked me to give the booking amount today (rs.25000), delivery promised in 2 weeks (max 3 weeks) for dark grey metallic asta. The fellow was great to talk to & very well-read on the car, was able to explain even the intricate underbody & door safety features effortlessly.

But, the question is still lingering in my mind - any news on the excise & what about discounts?
Old 14th February 2010, 13:49   #7
BHPian

Any change in the excise rates will be applicable only from beginning of April. Check if you can get delivery of the car before that. I would be very wary of a Nov 2009 car now. It may be a test drive car for all that matters and we cant find out much about it since it is with the dealer itself!
Old 14th February 2010, 18:51   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post
Any change in the excise rates will be applicable only from beginning of April. Check if you can get delivery of the car before that. I would be very wary of a Nov 2009 car now. It may be a test drive car for all that matters and we cant find out much about it since it is with the dealer itself!
Well, the 2009 car is definitely out. Just came back from the dealer. I've booked the car. He's offered me mud flaps & floor mats.

He's offering Garware sunfilms for 6k for the entire car. He didn't know the exact film code, but said they're RTO certified & they don't offer any options on that. I always thought 3M films were standard. What should i do? get them done from the dealer or somewhere else?
Old 14th February 2010, 20:25   #9
BHPian

Good Decision musicmaker. It isn't worth to go in for a 2009 model at the same price.

I think 6K for garware is expensive, please check the rates outside as well, before you decide on the sun film. 3M would cost about 10k at hyundai outlets.

Last edited by ikoneer : 14th February 2010 at 20:28.
Old 14th February 2010, 20:36   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicmaker23 View Post

He's offering Garware sunfilms for 6k for the entire car.
Get it done out side. Garware ICE COOL/ICE Shield (dunno the exact name) will cost 900 bucks for 4 windows and rear. That is more than sufficient. May be you can choose a film with higher heat rejection since you stay in Mumbai
Old 14th February 2010, 23:32   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicmaker23 View Post
He's offering Garware sunfilms for 6k for the entire car. He didn't know the exact film code, but said they're RTO certified & they don't offer any options on that. I always thought 3M films were standard. What should i do? get them done from the dealer or somewhere else?
I paid 6k for the entire 3M filming. More details in my thread. Don't remember exact film codes.
Old 15th February 2010, 14:42   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
If I'm not mistaken, resale value depends on the registration date on the RC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
getting a nov2009 model and registering it in 2010 makes it a 2010 model.
Any informed buyer, and ALL used car dealers, will go by the manufacturing date only. Think about it : You buy a 1.5 year old stockyard car (many Palios, Fusions etc. available this way) at a substantial discount. Registered it on the current date (i.e. 18 months from manufacture). Do you think your resale will be calculated on the date of registration? Nope. Again, any smart buyer will pay a price according to the manufacturing date & year.

@ Musicmaker : I think the dealers trying to push off old stock on you. As mtnrajdeep posted, any excise increase should - to the best of my knowledge - be applicable from the new financial year in April. You are buying a premium hatch, make it a truly premium experience and go for a 2010.
Old 15th February 2010, 18:55   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
As mtnrajdeep posted, any excise increase should - to the best of my knowledge - be applicable from the new financial year in April. You are buying a premium hatch, make it a truly premium experience and go for a 2010.
Was wondering the same thing. Every dealer i went to was very eager to remind me the new budget's out on 25th Feb & changes will be applicable immediately. Seems like a trick to sell the car.
But, i distinctly remember last year when i was considering the SX4 (long story), maruti had given huge ads in the papers to claim savings before April !! If this is true, i should be able to get the car well before hand even with the delivery period
My fate's in the hands of the Reg.Dept now though, will have do as they say since i've opted for the 2010 car.

Quote:
I paid 6k for the entire 3M filming. More details in my thread. Don't remember exact film codes.
Checked out your thread & saw you got CR70 for the front w/s, any idea about the sides & rear? 6k for the entire car is amazing considering my dealer's trying to get me garware for the same amount. Just got a quote from Vkool & even their economy range is going 20k + taxes while the sunfilm comparison thread on t-bhp rates the cr70 better than the vk70.
Choice made regards the brand thanks to you & my budget, now just gotta decide the film shade
Old 17th February 2010, 09:23   #14
BHPian

@Musicmaker23: Have you checked with all the dealers? I had recently gone to Sharayu Hyundai in Navi Mumbai and they said any colour will be available in 15 days time. Infact the sales rep called me again yesterday saying you can book your car by this weekend and still escape the price hike.
If you have already bargained at other dealers and not yet considered this, i would strongly suggest doing that as New Mumbai dealers usually sell at a lower price and also bargain better. This is true for any registration - Mumbai or outside Mumbai. So give it a try if you havent already done that. I am very confident that you will get a better value.
Old 17th February 2010, 15:16   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post
Just asked my CA. He said as far as his knowledge goes, any changes in Excise & Customs announced in the budget are applicable overnight. The other changes in tax etc will take effect from April 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkapilb View Post
@Musicmaker23: Have you checked with all the dealers? I had recently gone to Sharayu Hyundai in Navi Mumbai and they said any colour will be available in 15 days time. Infact the sales rep called me again yesterday saying you can book your car by this weekend and still escape the price hike.
If you have already bargained at other dealers and not yet considered this, i would strongly suggest doing that as New Mumbai dealers usually sell at a lower price and also bargain better. This is true for any registration - Mumbai or outside Mumbai. So give it a try if you havent already done that. I am very confident that you will get a better value.
thanks kapilb.. Actually, i didn't speak to the Navi Mumbai dealers & preferred someone cityside as there's a time crunch on my side & i couldn't spare any excess time for trips to go talk, book, inspect, take delivery etc.
I actually know about the cars being available, one source told me dealers had asked for a huge stock of cars in advance knowing people will be anxious to finalize their buys urgently before Feb end. But, none had the colour of my choice - dark grey. They only had the quicker selling berry red, silver & white.
You must've read that i came across 2009 models too, but that's not viable right now.
Sharayu Hyundai seeming this confident about colour availability seems like a sales gimick (Phoenix Hyundai told me they'd be able to get me someone else's allotted car if i pay in full right now & put the other party on hold! When i asked them to check, they said they'd try very hard to do something by 10 days but couldn't commit.. well, i didn't commit either!). So, i'd rather not go on face value of their offer.

And with regards the bargaining, every Hyundai dealer i went / spoke to was offering loyalty bonuses, corporate discounts, freebies on all their cars except the i20 [Still managed to get mudflaps, floor mats though] Sill NO cash discounts on the i20 anywhere :(
So, i suppose i pay for my taste. I've already booked with Jayabharat, the salesperson Iqbal has been quite nice so far & is supposed to gimme details of delivery in a couple of days; pray that i get it before the month ends. And yes, I've resigned my fate to the government. Whatever those blokes shall ask for in the excise hike, i will have to pay

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks