Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2010, 14:15   #1
Senior - BHPian

Elantra CRDI or Skoda Octi Diesel

Hi Guys,

I need your help ASAP, as I am planning to buy another car.

After going for the last few team bhp meets and seeing the Elantras of Brraj and Barcode, I have also gotten addicted to this beauty. It has so much sheer power that it is really amazing.

I have finalized that I am going in for an Elantra, however I wanted some other opinions.

Would be great if the following questions are answered

1. What is the reasonable price that I should get for a 2006 Elantra CRDI
2. What do I need to watch out for
3. How about Skoda
4. Which would be easier to maintain
5. By the way, I reside in Bangalore now and not Gurgaon. So Bangalore prices please.

I am planning to pick up the car within this month or next, but if i get a good deal and something good, will do i even this week

I already own a 2008 Petrol Accent, which I will now let my wifey use

Appreciate your help in advance
Old 18th February 2010, 14:25   #2
BHPian

Hope this answers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
1. What is the reasonable price that I should get for a 2006 Elantra CRDI - 5~5.5L
2. What do I need to watch out for - Get it throughly checked by Hyundai A.S.S expert
3. How about Skoda - Stay away, the asking is ridiculous due to the premium tag
4. Which would be easier to maintain - obviously not the Skoda
5. By the way, I reside in Bangalore now and not Gurgaon. So Bangalore prices please.

I am planning to pick up the car within this month or next, but if i get a good deal and something good, will do i even this week Check www.carazoo.com there was a couple listed at reasonable prices
Old 18th February 2010, 14:38   #3
BHPian

Hey TheDreamCatcher (TDC),

Welcome to the wonderful world of Elantra. I am glad you made a choice to go for Elantra. I did see the photos of your yelagiri trip. Elantra is a powerful vehicle and I am sure you would treasure each and every moment that you spend on the vehicle.

Just a word of caution though, this vehcile is out of production from 2008. I havent seen any problems as such and I have heard that getting spares is not a big problem (Except for parts like subframe etc.).

I have given my opinion/comment in bold. All the best for your search. Keep us updated.

Quote:
Hi Guys,

1. What is the reasonable price that I should get for a 2006 Elantra CRDI - I would expect the prices to be around 4 - 5 Laks and nothing more
2. What do I need to watch out for - Check for tell tale signs of any body work and the original Kms that the vehicle has done. You can check the Kms by asking Hyndai delars for the last service report. I have heard about drive shafts going kaput after 120000 Kms. So just check with a decent mechanic. Check the tyre wear and battery as most of the times we might have to change them after we buy the car.
3. How about Skoda - We have read a lot about the cost of ownership of a new Skoda.. a second hand Skoa is a strick no no from my prespective. If you are okay with the cost of maintaince then Skoda is a superb vehicle to drive.
4. Which would be easier to maintain - Elantras are known for its low maintenance cost. In my past 1 year of ownership (its a petrol vehicle) I did not have any breakdown (touchwood). Regular oil change was the only cost that is associated.
Old 18th February 2010, 16:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

I've seen an black Elantra diesel for sale long back. 2004 model 50K kms done. 2nd owner. Battery recently changed, tires are bald.
If interested pls let me know.
Old 18th February 2010, 16:14   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

A fellow BHPian has just bought a used Elantra, this thread might be of help to you. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...ng-baleno.html

And this is my Long term ownership report on Elantra Diesel. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...127000kms.html
Old 18th February 2010, 16:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys

I have actually settled to go down on the Elantra. There is something about this car that captivated me, though I know it is out of production, but that does not worry me.

A lot of people have advised me that I should get it in the 4-4.6 price range. Pls do let me know if you guys come across any good single owner cars

Also, I heard of a Decontent Model, i guess that came in Black. Any scoop on this. I heard it costed about 9 L OTR and did not have airbags, abs, climate con etc.
Old 18th February 2010, 16:30   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

@thedreamcatcher: The decontent model also referred as GTd did not have Alloys, Airbags, climate control, leather seats and lots of other stuff but this version did have ABS and TCS.

As the price version wont be much in a used car i would suggest you to go in for the topend version.
Old 18th February 2010, 16:50   #8
BHPian

I second .anshuman. I just picked up a 06 decontent model, and it does have ABS and TCS.
If you find a top-end, go for it, or the decontent does the job as well, you wont miss anything great, except for the airbags maybe.
I was in the same dilemma as you, whether to pick up an Octavia or an Elantra, but the Skoda horror stories put me off of it, though I love that car.
But I like the Elantra better after driving it for a few days, and the power delivery is waaay better than that of the Ocatavia 1.9s!
Old 18th February 2010, 17:35   #9
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys. My wife did check out a few cars today at classic motors luxury car showroom.

They were quoting 4.86 for a 2006, top end petro version. I am keen on a diesel though. hence still looking out
Old 18th February 2010, 18:24   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys. My wife did check out a few cars today at classic motors luxury car showroom.

They were quoting 4.86 for a 2006, top end petro version. I am keen on a diesel though. hence still looking out

What a petrol version at 4.8 lakhs, ask him to get a relaity check. I wont recommend a Petrol for 4.8 lakhs. Here in chennai the rate for petrol will be in the range of 3.5 only. Just tell them your offer and dont worry the vehicle is not a hot selling one, so the seller will come to your terms within 2 days of your offer. All the best.
Old 18th February 2010, 19:40   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilvr View Post
I second .anshuman. I just picked up a 06 decontent model, and it does have ABS and TCS.
If you find a top-end, go for it, or the decontent does the job as well, you wont miss anything great, except for the airbags maybe.
I was in the same dilemma as you, whether to pick up an Octavia or an Elantra, but the Skoda horror stories put me off of it, though I love that car.
But I like the Elantra better after driving it for a few days, and the power delivery is waaay better than that of the Ocatavia 1.9s!
Now this is going to be a long one

Firstly power delivery in skoda till probably you reach 120 is better than Elantra probably because it has a smaller turbo and spools a little early and thanks to gear ratios as well beyond that point i guess elantra is way better

Let me rate the both in a scale of 100 ( i am doing this as i have owned both the cars and serviced both of them in company and outside both)

Build quality

Elantra : 75 Skoda : 90

Reason : Bought a used Skoda 2003 which had done 45000 and drove for another 40000 before i sold it it had absolutely no rattles after all the abuse i have given that, also nothing was changed other than the cluthplate in the whole episode cause of daily driving

Elantra : I have driven that car for about 3000ms after picking it up but yes it does rattle a bit here and there probably its inborn(birthright) in korean/Maruthi cars cars

Spares:

Elantra: 90 Skoda : 75

Skoda:it is quite expensive in the showroom but if you know a good mechanic like i do it will be 15% more expensive than that of an elantra bought in A.S.S : (yes for some spares one needs to order and then replace for elantra unlike for Skoda; readily available)

Drivability: Skoda : 90 Elantra: 75

I some how feel Skoda feels a lot better inside than the elantra; though it has some nice gizmo's missing. You will not feel any strain driving in the city compared to Elantra. Trust me Wihout TC Skoda will handle if not better but as good as Elantra

Topend: Skoda: 65 Elantra: 95

Elantra will trounce a skoda outright in this section as i feel top end of Skoda takes too long a time to reach it can cruise in 140-145 easily above that it is a tad noisy and yu will feel the strain

Where as elantra will do 180 all the way without any discomfort

Braking : Skoda : 60 Elantra 90

Elantra with all its gizmos will brake considerably better than a skoda which has quite horrendous braking distance. Personal experience as a little better braking would have saved me a Lakh of rupees

Seating comfort in the rear Skoda : 75 Elantra : 80

It is slightly better than skoda it was a purely personal experience

Resale value

Skoda : 90 Elantra: 60

Elantras have a very bad resale value compared to a skoda cause of it brand image

Mileage
Skoda : 95
Elantra : 75

Skoda rules the roost here i would get easily 14 to 15 in city with ac on , while elantra i am returning figures of 10- 11 Kmpl

In highway I would easily get about 19 to 21 where as in Elantra i am getting about 13 to 15

Snob value: Skoda 90, elantra 60

If you really care for it

If you do decide for skoda pick up the one with Abs as it has got rear disc option unlike the ambient and Elegance which comes with drum brakes

Last edited by raj.barcode : 18th February 2010 at 19:50.
Old 18th February 2010, 20:15   #12
Senior - BHPian

Octy and Elantra CDRi aside, may I suggest the the Sonata Embra CRDi?!! The asking maybe higher than the Elantra, but the car is worth, IMHO!

@raj.barcode - interestingly, you have sold a Skoda, while keeping the Elantra...
Old 18th February 2010, 20:46   #13

I own an Elantra and hopefully this might help you.

The good:

Peppy Diesel Engine
ACC,
ABS,
TCS
Airbags,
Leather Seats,
Good Ride
Decent Handling
Excellent Brakes

The bad:

City Drivabilty ( Very good in highway cruising though)
Slighty expensive Hyundai *** (some ppl have mentioned that they've found good local mechanics although I dont know of any)
If you have a bad crash or something like that I've heard that parts may take a while to arrive.That said they do stock parts like headlamps,bumpers,etc
Bad stock lighting
Bad stock tyres

Expect to shell out around 50K more than what the Chennai guys are paying
Old 18th February 2010, 20:55   #14
Senior - BHPian

thanks guys

and amazing comparision Barcode

Petrol, yes I tild the guy he was probably inhaling too much toxic fumes. and that I wont not pay more than 3.5 for it. But anyways, I dont want a petrol
Old 18th February 2010, 21:22   #15
BHPian

@ phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj.barcode View Post
Braking : Skoda : 60 Elantra 90

little better braking would have saved me a Lakh of rupees
i think he sold it because of the above reason.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks