Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What should I do with my garage? Please specify your factors influencing the suggesti
Purchase Used HONDA CIVIC (Sell Swift+ Matiz to finance) + Purchase New VW POLO 1.2TDI 2 11.11%
Purchase Used HONDA CIVIC (Sell Swift+ Matiz to finance) + Purchase New FIAT PUNTO VGT 1.3Multijet 5 27.78%
Purchase Used HONDA CIVIC + Retain Swift (some Re Do) + Retain Matiz 3 16.67%
Purchase New VW VENTO 1.6TDI + Retain Swift (some Re Do) + Retain Matiz 6 33.33%
Purchase New VW VENTO 1.6TDI + Purchase Used HONDA JAZZ (Sell Swift+ Matiz to finance) 4 22.22%
Any other combo (Please specify) 1 5.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2010, 16:52   #1
Senior - BHPian

Suggestions for Overhaul of Garage

Hi Guys,

I have some decisions to make before the end of the year. I am planning to overhaul my garage over the next six months. As you will realize in the next few lines, choices aren't that simple. This is especially true when you are a person like I am. My cars not only need to be a 'realistic' buy but also be a 'fun' car.

Here we go!

Our current set of wheels:

1) Maruti Suzuki Swift Vxi: This is a Jan 2006 red coloured model. This was my first car. So, it is natural that I have a lot of affinity towards this car. I like the older G- series engine which has both terrific performance (for a hatchback) and decent economy. Its not perfect though! As is the case with all Marutis, it suffers from rattles and the ride at the back seat is harsh. Currently, it is used primarily by me and my wife.

2) Daewoo Matiz SP: I bought this car as a cheap mode for transport as a filler item till I buy a new car. But this filler item has served me faithfully. The 3 pot 800cc engine struggles to pull the car. The car has around 60k now and thus is showing its age. It is fully loaded though rides well for a small car. None of us have much 'emotional quotient' associated with it. This is primarily used by my parents.

3) Bajaj Avenger 180 DTS-i: This is my second bike. I am a thorough auto enthusiast and would never give up biking. My wife doesn't share my enthusiasm though. So, this is primarily my 'stress buster'. Mostly used as a 'lifestyle product' (a cheap one at that though!), I also use it for menial daily activities. Bike is not my our mode of transport and will never be. This should have no bearing on my new car purchase decision.

to be continued.......
Old 13th July 2010, 17:17   #2
Senior - BHPian

Requirements

As I stated earlier, our garage is in for a re jig!

We need a SEDAN! However, it may not be limited to a single purchase. Let me explain:

We plan to retain at least two cars. However, along with a 'new' SEDAN purchase, I am lured towards changing my current car as well (Swift). Our combine budget for this whole operation should not exceed 10 lacs. The combination I am tilted towards is SEDAN + HATCHBACK. Running cost will also be of 'some' concern and thus one of the two cars must have relatively low running costs.

The SEDAN must have:

1) A good 'badge'. It should carry a badge that is well respected.
2) Good looker.
3) Better than average build quality. Not necessarily be a 'vault' but need to be very sturdy. Flimsy cars will not do.
4) Good interiors. The car must have 'quality' interiors. Nothing puts me off more than cheapo stuff!
5) Powerful engine and decently efficient(second priority). I am open to both petrols and diesels.

The HATCHBACK must be:

1) Open to any badge.
2) need to be fairly practical and easy to use.
3) It should not be a bullock cart. I mean, I am used to Swift. So, this should also be some kind of fun!

My preference is towards a 'Euro + Jap' combo!

to be continued....
Old 13th July 2010, 17:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

The contenders

Here is what I have in mind right now:

OPTION 1: VW VENTO (New) + HONDA JAZZ (Used):

VW VENTO TDI: Seems to tick all my boxes. I like the car's looks. I am a big fan of classy understated looks and clean lines. I really think that too many companies have gone overboard with their designs. Has a VW badge. I trust the Euro quality. This should have good quality interiors (even if they are not that exciting). Should have good space at the rear. I will buy a new one for less than 10 lacs (Gurgaon purchase; irrespective of where I am). VW diesels are much more impressive than their petrols (since we don't TSI coming in this), so it will be the TDI. Will serve for my highway needs as well. All my tours will be on this one.

HONDA JAZZ: This one is a good car. It is spacious, has a good engine as well as interiors. The only let down was the price. I plan to rectify that flaw by buying a used sample. how much will a June sample cost? (4.5 lacs-5 lacs?)To fund the purchase, I plan to sell both Swift and Matiz. How much can I expect to rake out of them (3 lacs- Gurgaon sale?+ 1 lac- Bangalore sale?).

OPTION 2: HONDA CIVIC (Used) + VW POLO:

HONDA CIVIC: What a car this is!! It is one of the best cars HONDA has ever produced. Silky smooth engine, smash hit looks, classy interiors and spacious. Seems to have it all. I will most certainly buy a used sample. As stated earlier, part of my funding will come from my sales and the rest from my pocket. No loans here...

VW POLO: I like the clean line of the POLO. I have already driven the TDI. It is a tad underpowered and no the most refined but I couldn't fault anything else. This purchase will be all loan.

Which of the two combos do you guys lean towards?? I need lots of inputs as I am thoroughly confused.

to be continued....
Old 13th July 2010, 17:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

the outsiders

Although the above combos are my top runners, there are a few combos which have a outside chance due to multiple reasons.

OPTION 3: Chevy Captiva + Maruti Swift:

CHEVY CAPTIVA: I love SUVs. But the ground reaity is, I can't affoard a new one. How much will a used sample of this cools SUV cost me? (10 lacs??- 11 lacs). The major problem is that this will be used car loan. So, the interest rates will be much higher. Also, will it cost me bomb to maintain?

RATAIN THE SWIFT: We can slways retain the Swift. I mean, I already love this car so am in no compulsion to sell this. I may even refurbish this over time. If so, this is almost certain to undergo a CNG conversion to keep the costs in check.

OTHER OPTIONS: I am open to other options too. They may be

1) Buy VENTO + Retain Swift. Do I need to sell the Swift at all. Its reliable after all.

2) Buy FIAT LINEA Multijet + Retain Swift: I like LINEA too. In fact, I like all FIATS. They are such an emotional buys.

3) Buy HINDA CIVIC + FIAT PUNTO: Civic for reasons mentioned above and Punto coz of the way it looks.

In all the above mentioned scenarios, the Matiz will stay and will act as a 'bonus' car.

I think I am done. I want as many suggestions as possible. I will also appreciate inputs from mods as well as users which already own any one of the cars that I mentioned.

Please also be open to come up with COMBOS of your own. The cars that I will not consider are:

1) ALL Hyundais other than i20.
2) ALL Marutis other than Swift (what about waiting for the new Swift Dual VVT-i)
3) No American cars. Neither Fords nor Chevys.

PS: I have nothing against the cars mentioned above; just that I have my preferences.
Old 14th July 2010, 00:19   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hi Abhi, I would highly suggest that you buy pre-owned civic (2007+ model for about 7 lac plus) and retain the swift for the time being. The G13 is a nice engine and all the other smaller 1.2s (or diesels including MJD) will certainly feel underpowered when compared to the G13. If you are inclined to change the swift too, sell it next year and buy a vento TDi (1.6 diesel..no problem!)

A pre-owned Jazz at a good price will again be a good option to replace the swifty but then you'll have 2 hondas with i-vtecs. A Euro plus Jap combination will be the best (its cedia + polo for me )

I would have suggested the punto 1.6 or the polo 1.6 but then you will have a civic and a punto or polo both with average FE of around 9-10kmpl. May be Linea T-JET when it comes.

If you want to go for an SUV, I would suggest Mitsubishi Outlander, a two year old, still under warranty vehicle should be yours for about 12 to 13 lac rupees (delhi). so you can entend the warranty and have complete peace of mind for atleast a year. After sales is not a problem in Delhi and what I have heard in Banglore (I saw both places on your profile..). You may keep it for five years and it will still fetch you around 4 to 5 lacs. However, parts of outlander are expensive (its a damn reliable though) and wont be available easily in the aftermarket, so please be sure that if you do consider it, pick one in prestine condition.

You may also consider the Honda CRV, a three year old should be available for 13+ lacs. Its again extremely reliable but parts once again are expensive, aftermarket support is very less but still far better than the outlander. Service cost is more than the outlander though. A CRV again will fetch you decent resale of about 5 lacs. Honda aftersales again is good here in delhi.

Either in case of outlander or the CRV, I would highly suggest you keep some spare cash for the expensive parts. I personally dont like the Captiva and dont even have any idea about the car's after market prices or the service.

A civic IMHO should be the must if you aint doing the SUV way.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 14th July 2010 at 00:26.
Old 14th July 2010, 01:12   #6
BHPian

chevys sold here are Daewoos. you're driving one. Give it good rubber shoes and take it to a corner, it'll surprise you (in a nice way). The matiz is a grown up go-kart, if only it had a bigger engine. Sigh. I miss mine.

Corolla/ altis (used) + keep swift (or swap with i20 or polo)+ swap the bike with an ohc, take the lady out for a spin and voila! u got yourself TWO petrolheads under the same roof.

Roof. Geddit?
Bikes dont have one... Geddit??
Old 14th July 2010, 01:45   #7
Senior - BHPian

Firstly - keep the Swift.

This year, just get a sedan. Used Civic/Cedia or Vento TDi. Settle down with the new addition in the garage. Then decide on what to do with the Swift next year.
Old 14th July 2010, 12:18   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Firstly - keep the Swift.

This year, just get a sedan. Used Civic/Cedia or Vento TDi. Settle down with the new addition in the garage. Then decide on what to do with the Swift next yea

I like your line of thought.

If I go with the VENTO TDI + HONDA JAZZ way then I may keep my trusty Swift for sometime and do the Jazz swap sometime later.

BTW, My ideal combo may be

VENTO TDI (Now) + HONDA CIVIC (Later changes; Keep the Swift for now and do this at my convenience).

OH, and yes, The Matiz is basically a 'bonus' car. If it stays , it will provide convenience. If it doesn't, it will be used to raise cash.
Old 14th July 2010, 14:18   #9
Senior - BHPian

Disappointed!

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 15th July 2010 at 15:12.
Abhi_Automobile is offline   Received Infraction
Old 14th July 2010, 15:57   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Abhi_Automobile:
Since your swift is fairly new, I would suggest you retain it.
You could look at spending some money, to make it better than new, and suggestions would be a full proper service, and some modifications like alloys, new ICE, etc. During the service, have them take care of the rattles as well.

This would leave you with around 9.5L to spend on a new car to replace the Matiz. Since you are keen on a snob sedan, you could look at the VW Vento, as well as the ANHC. Both of these have oodles of snob value, should be good to drive and have good interiors.
Since you don't mind pre-owned, you could even look at a used Civic for around 8.5-9L, and spend another 30K to get it into shape. Heck, if you want to go all the way, you could even look at the 2006-07 Honda Accords! They are going for record low prices, especially in Delhi. However, the FE will be around 6kmpl in the city, and maintainance might be on the higher side, so just keep those in mind.

Last edited by lamborghini : 14th July 2010 at 15:59.
Old 14th July 2010, 17:11   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Since your swift is fairly new, I would suggest you retain it
If I retain the Swift, I don't need to sell the Matiz. I have an extra car for no extra cost. The only scenario in which I will sell Matiz is to raise cash for a 'used' car, since I don't want to take a used car loan.

Now, the problem is:- My Swift may be worth 3 lacs + 50 K to refurbish it + Money raised from Matiz (since it is an add on) = 4.5 lacs = Used Jazz (Maybe). So it is tempting.....and confusing!

Quote:
VW Vento, as well as the ANHC.
I don't want to consider ANHC, as every time I think of buying it, I think of CIVIC. Since I don't mind pre owned, I might as well go for the CIVIC instead.
I will not go the Accord way. When I get to the satge of owing Accords/Camrys, I will instead go for the GERMANS (Audi,BMW and Merc). But that is some serious years away.
Old 14th July 2010, 17:15   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

@Abhi Automobile: While I am not sure of the resale value of the Swift, I know that the Matiz wouldn't fetch you 1L, and a used Jazz will not be for 4.5L, unless it is poorly maintained.
I would suggest you spend 50K on the Swift, keep the Matiz as a house hold car, and get a used Civic for 9L, and spend 50K refurbishing it to new, with a good professional detailing, bumper touch up, proper service, and maybe a new set of tyres or other work if required.
Old 14th July 2010, 19:35   #13
Senior - BHPian

Poll needed

Guys,

This may be due to my lack on knowledge, but how do I add Poll to do a 'Primary research' (Any Business Analysts?)? I want to list all my options and encourage all of you toll poll.
Old 15th July 2010, 15:26   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

@Abhi: You will have to ask the moderators to add a poll to this thread.
You can ask them on this thread itself, or click on the report post button on your post on this thread, and ask them. If they feel the need to, they will comply.
Old 16th July 2010, 13:57   #15
Senior - BHPian

Poll needed

Mods,

I want to have a poll in this thread for my 1 million rupees car buying decision. The options are:

What should I do with my garage? Please specify your factors influencing the suggestion:

1) Purchase Used HONDA CIVIC (Sell Swift+ Matiz to finance) + Purchase New VW POLO 1.2TDI
2) Purchase Used HONDA CIVIC (Sell Swift+ Matiz to finance) + Purchase New FIAT PUNTO VGT 1.3Multijet
3) Purchase Used HONDA CIVIC + Retain Swift (some Re Do) + Retain Matiz
4) Purchase New VW VENTO 1.6TDI + Retain Swift (some Re Do) + Retain Matiz
5) Purchase New VW VENTO 1.6TDI + Purchase Used HONDA JAZZ (Sell Swift+ Matiz to finance)
6) Any other combo (Please specify)

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 16th July 2010 at 14:01. Reason: Forgot to add one option

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks