Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2010, 01:58   #16
Senior - BHPian

You may like to explore this link. http://www.chevrolet.co.in/content_d...re-diesel.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreelalts View Post
Meanwhile, I test drove Optra Magnum. It was a pretty responsive engine and fun to drive. Very good refinement and NVH. As mentioned earlier in the thread, the engine does not have a good protection. Only a fibre component is kept in place of the engine guard underneath. The rear seat leg room was just too good
However I am bit reluctant on this for 3 reasons
1. It is an ageing model. Same experience I have gone through with my Accent. Soon after I bought it, Hyundai pulled it out of market. Ofcourse, I got some decent discounts during the purchase.
2. Price of the variant with ABS and Airbag is going to be 11 lac +
3. Even after in the market for quite some time, I could not spot many Optra's on the road - atleast in kerala
I am glad that you checked out the Optra. Though, I did not understand the bit about the engine guard bit. This car is built like a tank and I have seen these go through some of the worst terrain ever. The lack of Optras could be because of the low sales due to the various misconceptions that people have regarding this vehicle. Further it is not going anywhere soon atleast for the next couple of years. This is per the info put out by the service station manager where my Aveo goes for routine service etc. Even if the company pulls the plug in next two years they are not going to simply stop providing support. The warranty on the car too runs for 3 years or 100000 kms and then with you could buy additional warranty for another 2 years and 60K kms + couple that with the service package and this is a gem. Further the fact that the car has a very good back seat and discs all around + McPherson struts on all wheels complete with anti roll bar in the front and back and a very stiff chassis makes it a sweet handler and a ver comfortable place to be in.

Quote:
I got an invitation from Toyota for checking out Altis Diesel. The sales person is claiming that they cannot give it for test ride yet because of the fuel availability He claims that Altis requires Euro III compliant diesel and it is not yet available in the market except in Reliance pumps. And this will be available in normal pumps only after a couple of months. I was just wondering, if this Toyota engine is so sensitive to the type of diesel, then how will it cope with the most adulterated fuel which we get in India ?
He might be right. What we had untill now was BSIII or EuroII. What we will get now all over (already started in tier1 metro cities, I guess) is BSIV or Euro III, which is basically ultra low sulphur content diesel.

Last edited by khoj : 27th July 2010 at 02:01.
Old 27th July 2010, 07:29   #17
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
You mention wanting to upgrade, but are you averse to buying a hatchback? Since you liked the i20, and it offers as much (and more) fun on the road as the Accent Viva CRDi, how about going for that?
I swapped my Accent CRDi (6 years, 82000 kms, Sold for Rs, 300,000) for a i20 Asta CRDi. The primary desire to go for this hatch was the nightmare traffic and parking problems in Bangalore. It has been a year now and have enjoyed this experience. The only thing I do not like is that the seats are very hard. This is a good option and still worth thinking about.

Why don't you look at the Innova option? I know it is associated with taxi's but with new colours, add alloys etc you can make it look different. Toyota too has pushed this car in the non- taxi segment. For Kerala this would be a good option.

Would suggest that you remove the desire to keep the new car for longer than 4 years. With so many new options coming in the next few years, I am sure that you will want to sell the earlier than planned, may be even your family will push you to change ! Hence resale value will be important.

Cheers

KPS
Old 27th July 2010, 20:10   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I'd highly recommend waiting for the Vento. The Polo may have had a mixed reception, primarily due to the 3 pot motors. In fact, it's a rare European car whose petrol ended up more impressive than the diesel. The Vento, on the other hand, has the potential to become an all-rounder within the C segment. VW is putting everything behind the sedan....including 4 cylinder engines

Hold on for another month.
Old 27th July 2010, 21:22   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
But then, isn't the Altis Diesel a little above your budget?
Yes! It is above my budget ofcourse. But no harm in enjoying a drive
And thanks for that cool Toyota ad
Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlYamaha View Post
Stretch your budget and get yourself a Toyota Corolla Altis DIESEL. Diesel Altis should be far more safer than any of the initial choices you listed and would hold its value for a longer time. That would be a segment upgrade too.
Thanks PearlYamaha. What you told is correct. But my budget will take a beating if I stretch further. I am sorry :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
You may like to explore this link.
Though, I did not understand the bit about the engine guard bit.
A BHPian has commented earlier that Optra's crank case is placed a tad too low and unprotected. So, I was checking out whether there is any engine guard placed to counter this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
I swapped my Accent CRDi (6 years, 82000 kms, Sold for Rs, 300,000) for a i20 Asta CRDi. The only thing I do not like is that the seats are very hard.
You got a very good price for your Accent, I bet. Here I was asking for 3.4 lacs for 2006, 60k done car with alloys,fog lamps,new player, etc, and still not much response yet. However, I have not advertised much either.
Yes. I too did'nt like the i20 rear seat comfort at all!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Why don't you look at the Innova option?
KPS
Yes KPS. I did think about it. My city commutation is very less and hence it was a good option as of now. But, the top end version was priced @ 13+ lacs - out of my budget :(

Thanks a lot on your suggestions. One hand it is giving me more knowledge and on the other hand it is helping me to think in new perspective and explore more options. This is surely an amazing forum.
Old 27th July 2010, 21:23   #20
BHPian

since u love the Linea , why don't u wait for the Linea T-jet? Our scoop master Sidindica has already opened a thread on that with a September 1st week launch date with a 35k premium.
Since u have owned a turbo-diesel car,a turbo charged petrol is the only one which can come close to that driving sensation and that low end torque
here are the Tech numbers for the Linea T-jet
max power: 110 ps@5000 rpm
max torque: 200 Nm@2500 rpm

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...d-turbo-2.html

Last edited by amulu10 : 27th July 2010 at 21:28.
Old 31st July 2010, 01:04   #21

Here comes my latest update:
Today I sold off my Accent Viva CRDi for Rs 3,30,000/- . I am a bit sad to say good bye to this trusted companion for last 4 years(60,000 km).
What next??
My wish list is now Linea, Vento and Optra
But doing a bit of research in the local market, I feel that Optra is getting out dated (particularly due to Cruze) and hence I am opting it only if I get a used one for a good price (6-7 lacs). Otherwise, I will end end up getting nothing if I want to sell it for any good reason, though it is a fantastic car.

Also I am getting a very negative feedback on Linea for few points
1. Its low ground clearance and habit of scrapping the underbelly too occasionally
2. Resale value
3. Interior plastic quality - it gives a foul smell it seems
But I am in love with its looks and features!

Meanwhile a lot of people are still having high opinion on Honda City. You know for what reason? The Badge Value!! People are not complaining about the low ground clearance that much even it is true that it is at par with Linea. Generally common man attach a higher status for ANHC

So, my shortlist is now modified to
1. Linea
2. Vento
3. Optra (Used one)
4. ANHC (new or used one)
FYI: Today came across a ANHC used one which has done 15,000 km for a price of 8.5 lacs (SMT). Any opinion please?

Vento is looking very appealing going by the information and specs available.

Upon comparison with Linea, this new entrant from VW lags in two areas(compared to Linea)
1. Blue & Me (I loved that featured in Linea with steering wheel controls)
2. Exterior looks and design

And Vento scores over Linea on:
1. Better powered engine (105 hp and 250 Nm)
2. Better interior fit and finish with better utility space (cubby holes, storage)
3. Ground Clearance (very important)
4. Better brand value and perception(in India)

Two questions to the forum, if any one can help:
1. Does any one know what will be my alternative to Blue & Me if I opt for Vento?
2. Will the price of high line variant of Vento Diesel be priced above 10 lacs?

PS: One aspect which disappointed me in Vento is its colour options for Highline. There is no White and Red - Both are my most preferred ones

Anyway I am going to wait till October for Vento. Till then I will be using a Ford Ikon (Petrol). I like the way it handles
Old 31st July 2010, 08:44   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Also I am getting a very negative feedback on Linea for few points
1. Its low ground clearance and habit of scrapping the underbelly too occasionally
2. Resale value
3. Interior plastic quality - it gives a foul smell it seems
But I am in love with its looks and features!

1. Does any one know what will be my alternative to Blue & Me if I opt for Vento?
2. Will the price of high line variant of Vento Diesel be priced above 10 lacs?

PS: One aspect which disappointed me in Vento is its colour options for Highline. There is no White and Red - Both are my most preferred ones

Anyway I am going to wait till October for Vento. Till then I will be using a Ford Ikon (Petrol). I like the way it handles
Dear sreelalts
My 2 cents
1. Its low ground clearance and habit of scrapping the underbelly too occasionally -Most of the sedans are in this GC range only
2. Resale value Yes FIAT may not fetch good resale
3. Interior plastic quality - it gives a foul smell it seems IMO it can not be generally true better talk to real owners on this forum itself

1. Does any one know what will be my alternative to Blue & Me if I opt for Vento? Few may give some functionality but installation may tinker warranty clause
2. Will the price of high line variant of Vento Diesel be priced above 10 lacs? IMO definitely above 10L top model.

cheers
Old 4th August 2010, 20:28   #23

So here comes my latest update in he car hunting

Last day I went to Volkswagon dealer for checking out Polo. My intention is to get an initial impression about upcoming Vento by checking out Polo. I decided not to disclose this intention to the dealer initially as they may lose interest since there is still time for Vento launch. I made a call to the dealer and they provided me with the name of the sales person to contact. And this person called me up and I told him that I will be reaching there in 30 mins and I need a test drive on Polo. He said to ask for him at the reception and the TD vehicle will be ready. So far so good !! Now the fun! I reached there on time and asked for this person at the reception. The receptionist asked me to wait in the lobby. I could see her making some calls. 5 mins passed. No one turned up! Then I decided to venture out myself and started checking out the display vehicles in the showroom. 2 or 3 customers were there at that time and the sales persons were engaged with them and no one paid any attention to me. 10 more mins passed. Another gentleman came asked whom I am looking for. After explaining to him, he was also making some calls and .... to cut it short neither the assigned person turned up nor they assigned any one else. Finally, I excused myself from there after spending 20 mins of my time simply sitting over there. Later in the day the Mr.Salesman called me up and said he got tied up with another customer and blah..blah.. So I requested him to bring the vehicle to my residence for TD and he said he will arrange for it. Now, after 1 hour another lady called me up from the showroom pretending as if she was just following it up. I narrated the story - I expressed my disappointment in the service but was not angry. I said it is fine and the Mr.Salesperson will come to my residence with the vehicle. Then this lady told that they are providing TD only at showroom and I need to go there. This time i got a bit angry and told that I was already there once and this is the treatment I got. I can understand that they have a healthy number of bookings for Polo, but that shall not forget the fundamentals in customer care. Later the salesperson called me up again and told he need to take permission and will get back to me... And guess what? No response yet

Let me tell you, honestly, I was just thinking what will the scenario in customer care during the A.S.S, if the experience in pre-sales is like this !! Vento or Polo could be a great car for sure, but VW need to monitor more closely on their dealers. Quality need to be ensured not only in the product but in the service too...

Last edited by GTO : 7th August 2010 at 16:20. Reason: STRICTLY no more than 2 smilies per post please
Old 4th August 2010, 20:51   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
4. ANHC (new or used one)[/b] FYI: Today came across a ANHC used one which has done 15,000 km for a price of 8.5 lacs (SMT). Any opinion please?
For this price you could get a well kept used Civic or a Corolla. Read GTO's and Smartcat's threads on buying their used Civics and ashthedivx's thread on buying his used Corolla all around the price as mentioned by you.
Old 4th August 2010, 22:51   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

It may not be the most sensible suggestion and its a depreciation disaster, but the Optra Magnum Diesel is a nice car. It also comes with very good discount offers.

OR Wait for the Vento, it will be a nice all rounder with a peppy diesel.

And if you want a Petrol, pick a ANHC now without second thoughts.
Old 5th August 2010, 07:51   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post

OR Wait for the Vento, it will be a nice all rounder with a peppy diesel.

And if you want a Petrol, pick a ANHC now without second thoughts.
Thanks Anshuman. I am not a fan of Petrol, but I liked ANHC for its quality and utility space inside, not to forget the badge value. But still, I am keeping it as a second choice.

Now regarding Vento, I am having second thoughts after my experience in VW dealership in Kochi. That made me to explore a little more on their service. My findings are:
  • VW will take another 2 years to establish a good service network in India. We have only 3 service centers in Kerala now.
  • Spare Part availability will be an issue, in case of accident repairs etc. Recently my colleague's Polo was kept in service center for weeks together due to the non availability of a spare.
  • Going by the Skoda tradition in India, A.S.S might turn out to be expensive
  • I first hand experienced "I don't care" attitude from the dealer. This might be a silly thing and one off case, but it is important for a customer - it was their first customer touch point
  • There will not be any offer or extended warranty for Vento initially. The price will also be close to 10L

On the other hand, my experience with Linea/Tata team has been much better (best was from Honda)
  • Fiat has got better service coverage compare to VW
  • Parts are cheaper for Linea - especially those which are more likely to get damaged during small accidents (eg - bumper)
  • Fiat offers 26 months warranty support and free road side assistance - an amazing offer

In my opinion Vento is a better car than Linea except for its ordinary exterior design which is same as Polo, some electronic stuff, and the service network. Moreover, Vento is yet to be proven where as Linea is still doing a moderate sales and is in the market for quite some time..

So, I am getting more and more inclined towards Linea. My second choice now is ANHC.
Old 5th August 2010, 13:20   #27
Senior - BHPian

The Chevrolet cashless ownership offer for three years / 45,000 KM, IMHO, is the best piece-of-mind offer. Add to that the 100,000 KM / 3 years warranty - and you should be good - that was for the Optra TCDi

If you are selling this car you are buying within about 3 years, you should worry about resale - if you are selling it after 5 years, then resale should not be a worry, IMHO.
Old 5th August 2010, 13:36   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

@sreelalts: The Linea is a nice car but it does not have as performance as good as the Optra Magnum, Verna, ANHC and Vento(expected). In fact you may even miss your Accent CRDi's performance if buy a Linea.

With the new T-Jet turbo Petrol engine(Coming in Sep.) and 1.6 Multijet it will be a much much better car.
Old 5th August 2010, 15:50   #29
BHPian

@Sreelalts, any specific reason you didnt want to consider Fiesta diesel? That may not really be an upgrade but if you are considering Linea as an option, I would recommend a TD of Fiesta 1.4 TDCi as well.
Old 6th August 2010, 06:39   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
The Chevrolet cashless ownership offer for three years / 45,000 KM, IMHO, is the best piece-of-mind offer. Add to that the 100,000 KM / 3 years warranty - and you should be good - that was for the Optra TCDi
Thanks. My only reason for not considering Optra Magnum is that the top end is going to cost me more than 11 lac (with ABS and Airbag - without which a car of this power is unsafe). It is a very good car, but failed in the market. So I am open for a good second hand buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
@sreelalts: The Linea is a nice car but it does not have as performance as good as the Optra Magnum, Verna, ANHC and Vento(expected). In fact you may even miss your Accent CRDi's performance if buy a Linea.
With the new T-Jet turbo Petrol engine(Coming in Sep.) and 1.6 Multijet it will be a much much better car.
Thanks. Point well taken. I might wait for Linea 1.6. The F.E with Petrol of T Jet will not be my cup of tea.
Also note, performance and pickup is not not my outright priority, though it will be good to have. I am fine with an average performance and when I test drove Linea 1.3, I felt that it is fine. Yes, the fire power of Accent CRDi is not under your foot, but Linea compensates it with many other aspects of good car. If I need every thing, then I should be ready to pay for that as well

IMO, Linea 1.3 is not underpowered but adequately powered for majority of Indian scenario. We should also consider the fact that there are many other cars also in this same power band like Altis Diesel (88 bhp), Fiesta(77 bhp?), Manza(90 bhp) - against which the tag of "underpower" is not much pronounced though the kerb weights are comparable. But, Linea build, suspension and brakes are capable of handling much more powerful engine and in that sense it is under powered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv1976 View Post
@Sreelalts, any specific reason you didnt want to consider Fiesta diesel? T
The primary reason is that, to me, Fiesta started looking a bit common face on Indian roads and a bit uninspiring. Secondly it is much underpowered than Linea 1.3 and the rear leg room is also cramped. Thirdly, I am not happy with Ford cost of maintenance - my brother own a Ford Ikon Petrol.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks