Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2010, 02:54   #1

What Car (Used Or new car) in 6 - 8 Lakhs?

Hi All,

Firstly, I'll take a min to say thanks to you all guys, who have taken their precious time & written such beautiful articles/reviews to help people like us.

Mods: Please move this to correct section, if i'm submitting this in in-correct section (apologise, but this is my first thread )

Now the Problem:

I'm getting married in next couple of months & I'm in a lookout for a second vehicle for myself, I already have a Santro GLS (CNG, company fitted)2008 model for my daily use. (as my daily travel is approx 100km)

Second car: would be used for weekends/social/weekend getaways

What I'm luking in car is:
  1. Good driving experence
  2. Reliabilty
  3. Good road presence
  4. Hassle free for atleast 2-3 yrs

Budget: 6-8 lacs (cash, As i don't intend to take a loan)

My confusion is, that in my budget I'm not able to decide the new cars (sedans) as the one which I like (Altis, Civic, Cruze) are beyond the reach & i'm really not interested in City, sx4, verna, etc.. which are in 6-8lacs range, so thats whr the problem begins

Hence I went through the article which GTO presented (Driver's car within/approx 6lacs (range) which quite excited me

So for used cars: following are the cars I'm interested in
Accord V6
Accord 2.4
Civic
CRV

For the above cars I'm not sure, which models I can get within that range, & wht should be best ODO range I should be aiming at, cuz compare to prices GTO's article is claiming the prices are quite high in delhi
For eg: accord v6 (2007, 50k KM) good condition, asking prices in 8.5lac- 9lacs, so need help in understanding what should be right range for a given model (in delhi)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last but not the least, keeping in the issues which one might face in buying a used car (as hv always bought new cars), my second thought is that I should simple opt out for an SUV (Scorpio VLX), I know its 2lacs over my budget but for that extra money i'll have peace of mind (also will have to take loan ), but would have no worries for atleast nxt 3-4yrs.

Thats where I'm getting confused, Guys!
Need serious help, as I have got the initial thoughts in place, now intend to get in action so that whatever is the final option, I can close it in nxt 1-2 months (max)

You guys can ask me more relevant questions, if I have missed any part, but guys need some serious advice, as i'm getting real bonkers

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

Also only 2 smilies per post are allowed

Last edited by Technocrat : 11th August 2010 at 03:20. Reason: Please read the note in your post very carefully, Also please read our board rules before proceeding further, thanks
Old 11th August 2010, 04:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

Purely out of the list: Honda Accord 2.4.
Old 11th August 2010, 07:09   #3
BHPian

First thing first !
Please imagine your probable use of second car and therefore decide the type of car. Type means Hatch / Sedan / MUV-SUV.
Second thing what are your priority specs ? More FE or better power
More GC or better highway manners etc. etc. these kind of trade off are compulsory to make any meaningful decision.

happy looking
cheers
Old 11th August 2010, 10:43   #4
BHPian

To go new of go Second

Hi team,

This is my first post, in the blog. I am currently in need of advice from the gurus across.

I have budget of 8.5L, my goal is get a driver’s car, majority of the driving will be in city, but occasional weekend drives in the highway, I estimate (rather guesstimate – about 1500Km’s a month with about 1400 in the city)

All the last few years of driving I have driven a hatchback, I totally bored and want something fast and especially handles well, I am ok to live with the fuel efficiency of about 10, and am also open to the options of pre-worshipped.

In your suggestions on the car, please share your personal ownership experience of the recommended choice or key areas of concerns of the models.

Thanks all.

Motoringlover.

Last edited by Jaggu : 11th August 2010 at 12:33. Reason: Please use Search before opening a new thread and use Report post to notify mod team. thanks
Old 11th August 2010, 10:56   #5
Team-BHP Support

Well rest be assured, make the right decision for a used car and it will run as well as a new car for more than 2-3 years. You just have to get it checked up or be sure that it is in good condition. I noticed you've listed 4 Hondas and I am sure that if you get a car in decent condition it will not trouble you at all. Infact probably less than a new Mahindra Scorpio.

You need to decide, do you want a utility car or do you want an enthusiast car. Are you going to take it over lots or rough roads? Or do you want to be noticed when you go out for a social event?

I dont think you will find a CRV in 8 lacs, not the present one at least. I think that should be eliminated.

The Accords, do you want a manual or an auto? If it is driving pleasure you are looking for, look no further than the V6. The acceleration is mindblowing and the 2007 model will leave the 2.4 for dust. (the 2007 V6 got an upgraded gearbox which made the 0-100 time 8.3 seconds, the earlier models were 9.4) The mileage you will get in a V6 in Delhi should be around 6-6.5 overall and +1-1.5 for the 2.4 manual.

For an Accord you should look for a 2007 model done around 30-35,000kms. You might have to stretch your budget a small amount.

You should get a 2008 Civic in your budget, probably run around 20,000 odd kms. Its presence and social status is less than an accord, but you might find a great condition one (of course you might find a great condition Accord too). Its more futuristic and its music system plays mp3's. lol. Its a nice car to drive, about as fast as a 2.4 Accord. The paddle shift can be nice sometimes if you choose an auto.

Hondas are extremely reliable and you will have peace of mind over the next 3-4 years. The engines will last at least 200,000kms as long as you maintain it well.

Check out carwale.com for cars. And when you shortlist a car, get its service history checked out and maybe even get it looked at by a Honda service centre.

EDIT - prateekm - Not the vRS since it might start giving troubles after a few years. Definitely not as trouble free as a jap. Outlander? I highly doubt there will be any more than a handful in the market.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 11th August 2010 at 11:14.
Old 11th August 2010, 11:02   #6
BHPian

+1 to what Akshay says. If you are open to SUV's, check out Endeavour and Tucson (softroader) which you will find in plenty in the used market. If you can live with the petrol costs, go for a v6 or a CR-V. Other cars you could look at are the vRS or the Outlander (you will have to stretch your budget on that). Don't go for a 2.4 if you need a Accord, go for a v6. That's where the fun lies
Old 11th August 2010, 11:30   #7

Hey Thanks guys for a quick & prompt replies:

here are some other details (as asked in your replies)

I would prefer AT anytime over and above the manual gearbox
I'm least concerned about FE, as the average use would be (1000km, a month) maximum

Secondly, as I mentioned that I don't like any sedan (new) in that range, however I luv SUV's, but only problem with not thinking for Endeavour, safari is that my built is normal & height is 5'7 , thats why I zeroed in for Scorpio VLX (as an option)
Old 11th August 2010, 14:35   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pug4u View Post
Hey Thanks guys for a quick & prompt replies:

here are some other details (as asked in your replies)

I would prefer AT anytime over and above the manual gearbox
I'm least concerned about FE, as the average use would be (1000km, a month) maximum

Secondly, as I mentioned that I don't like any sedan (new) in that range, however I luv SUV's, but only problem with not thinking for Endeavour, safari is that my built is normal & height is 5'7 , thats why I zeroed in for Scorpio VLX (as an option)
Frankly if your not going to be going off road or on bad roads. Or if you arent going to seat more than 5 people. Look NO further than a pre-owned Honda Accord or Civic.
Old 11th August 2010, 14:55   #9
BHPian

Why not a baleno

Hi Pug4u,

Why don't you look at a Baleno.

For your budget, you will get one with less kms on the Odo. It performs well and handles well, Reliable and its a MARUTI!
Old 11th August 2010, 15:22   #10
Senior - BHPian

How about a used vRS?
Nothing can beat the sportiness
Old 11th August 2010, 18:36   #11

I would prefer a Laura rather than a vRS, but not sure how good it can be as a second hand buy (as have heard that skoda cars have lot of issues moment they are 2-3 yrs old)
SO a bit skeptical, but if I come across a clean car, maybe can lookup for a change

But, would need to know what yr model of laura can be expected in this price range ??
Old 11th August 2010, 21:24   #12
BHPian

i still think civic is the best.how about cedia?
Old 11th August 2010, 21:27   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pug4u View Post
I would prefer a Laura rather than a vRS, but not sure how good it can be as a second hand buy (as have heard that skoda cars have lot of issues moment they are 2-3 yrs old)
SO a bit skeptical, but if I come across a clean car, maybe can lookup for a change

But, would need to know what yr model of laura can be expected in this price range ??
Laura, try to go for a post 07 model. If you want a '07 DSG (AT), you will need to shell something around 8.25l+ depending on the condition/kms done.
Old 11th August 2010, 23:17   #14
BHPian

Check out the Vento

Except for reliability and peace of mind factor for which only the coming years will tell(Skoda sibling is a matter of concern) I suggest you have a look at the Vento which has been released at a killer price.
Have a long talk with Jetta and Passat owners who have been using the car for more than the end of warranty period and then you can assess whether the car will be light on your pocket or not.
Old 12th August 2010, 01:56   #15
Senior - BHPian

From the thread title, the first thing that came to my mind was the Civic. And I think that;s your best option. You will buy a newer Civic than an Accord, and am sure you will spend less on the upkeep of the Civic vs the Accord.

BTW with 100 km a day, you should be looking at diesels. A mad fast Optra, maybe. Or a Verna.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks