Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2010, 16:34   #1
BHPian

Automatic Required - but which one ??

Okay guys, need to buy an automatic for the better half by mid Sept

My options :
1. 2004 CRV Auto : 70K kms, dealer, 5.8L + 12K(insurance) + 3k (registration)
2. A-Star Auto : 4.35L (insurance and registration under co. lease)
3. Maruti SX-4 Auto : 8.3L ..upper end of spectrum
4. i10 Auto Magna : 4.51L
5. i20 Auto : 7.3L

Daily running would be about 10-20 KM so FE is not much of an issue
Which of these would be best for my requirements ?

Heart is set on the CR-V which is in very good condition but am worried about spares availability as this is the earlier version
Cons also include outright purchase (vit M outflow) and the fact that it might be a bit large for a beginner
OTOH, I get to drive it whenever its free )
Old 19th August 2010, 19:25   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: The CRV - parts are not scarce, it will take time to order. Escpcially if you prang it. Also insurance depreciation means you will take a big hit in an accident.

Rest = all depends on requirements re: space and usage, Test them and decide
Old 19th August 2010, 20:17   #3
Senior - BHPian

Looks like a fight between the A star and the i10 - if getting the car for your wife. Also your running indicates that it could be mostly city driven, right ?
Old 19th August 2010, 20:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

If its for a new driver and this is a second/third car - go for i10 / Astar.

i10 - nice interiors + rear seat space
astar - nice handling + sporty
Old 19th August 2010, 20:46   #5
BHPian

TD both i10 and A-star and choose the one which suits you best.
A-star has better handling.
i10, as Blackasta mentioned has brilliant interiors and looks quite too. But hearing confusing FE about i10 AT, though you mentioned FE is not a big factor.
But I am sure you wouldn't want 10-12 kmpl for a 1.2L vehicle.

Please rule out SX4- AT.

Again, TD both and take a decision.
Old 21st August 2010, 02:04   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

If it is for a new driver, and a second car, get the i10.
If this is the primary car and for a new driver, get the i20.

Since it looks like most of the driving will be done in the city, a smaller car will be easier to handle.

I would advice you to avoid the CR-V, as if there are any replacements in the future, you could get a big bill from Honda. Someone was advised a suspension overhaul for their CR-V and was given a quote of 80K upwards.
Old 21st August 2010, 02:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

Since the car is for a new driver and for city runs, a hatchback is better. Get the i10 A/T. It looks far better than the A-Star and women will surely love its interiors. I'd suggest you to get the i10 Sportz A/T.
Old 24th August 2010, 01:04   #8
BHPian

Thanks a lot guys ! - so the CRV is out !

The car will basically be used as a second car and the driver is new so I see the unanimous view is i10 AT.

Now, I have one more option ( suggested by the wife) - City CVT 2005-2006.

What are the pros and cons of this model ? Esp vis a vis the i10 AT which she has also driven.

A-Star AT is neither available for TD in GGN or in Kolkata ( in fact dealers in Kolkata dont even know that there is an A-Star AT) so Ajmat's review is all the dough I have on that one.
Old 24th August 2010, 13:57   #9
gou
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JishD View Post
Now, I have one more option ( suggested by the wife) - City CVT 2005-2006.
Thats what I was going to tell you about. I think this is a good option. You can even look out for OHC AT. Thats a brilliant car.

I have owned a used Santro and a used OHC AT. Both when bought were 7 yrs old and Santro had done 61k kms and OHC 70k kms. Surprising I find the maintenance cost to be less for OHC compared to Santro. Honda regular servicing cost is cheaper than Hyundai and well defined.

I understand FE is not a concern but just to inform you I will mention it. On the forum I read i10 AT to give around 6-9 kmpl. OHC AT will give you around 8-10 kmpl. NHC CVT which you mentioned would give you more - around 12-13kmpl (a colleague having it informed me).

My suggestion would be to go for a used City, either OHC or NHC CVT whichever you can find in good condition. You get a much better car and with Honda reliability is also good. And may be it will cost you less. You will also like the occasional drives which you will have in it.

Cons for this compared to i10 AT are that this is bigger car and parking in small spaces might be a problem, but I felt that once you use it you get used to it.

Also if you can inform us about the other primary car that you have it will be good and may be people can suggest you depending on that.
Old 24th August 2010, 15:15   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

What are the pros and cons of this model ? Esp vis a vis the i10 AT which she has also driven.
Extensively driven both the above models. The i10 autobox is much better than the Honda one IMO. The i10 is ideal for city driving. If you do go in for the i10, i suggest an immediate tyre upgrade. The current set is too thin and the car wallows like a boat in choppy waters.

However, if the car runs less than 10kms, expect poor FE.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 24th August 2010 at 15:17. Reason: typo
Old 27th August 2010, 13:07   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gou View Post

Also if you can inform us about the other primary car that you have it will be good and may be people can suggest you depending on that.
Well, currently I have a Honda City ZX 2006 which I use as my primary car. The AT will largely be used for short office / market runs.

Has anyone tested the A-Star AT in real world conditions yet ? Still not in the showrooms
Old 3rd September 2010, 13:52   #12
BHPian

Update : A - Star Automatic

Ok guys, yesterday I FINALLY got a test-drive on the A-star automatic. Suits the second car requirements to a T. A cramped rear seat will not matter as we will only have 1-2 people in the car at any time.

BUT....A-Star is not a great seller, so what resale values can I expect after a couple of years ?

Also, any other known problems with it ?

Finally, what are the best discounts I can get on the Star ? Any dealer recommendations in Gurgaon/NCR ?
Old 8th September 2010, 22:45   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A-Star AT is neither available for TD in GGN or in Kolkata ( in fact dealers in Kolkata dont even know that there is an A-Star AT
Took a test drive today in Kolkata.

Fairly long one, from south Cal to Dalhousie at 1 PM, to find out how it will behave in actual city conditions.

Kickdown response extremely inconsistent. Which means I'll not have the confidence to squirt through gaps. Think it is Maruti's tweaking to increase FE for India, as I don't think it will pass muster abroad. Decided against it.

Does anyone know whether the GBox control is electronic or hydraulic?

Sutripta
Old 5th October 2010, 10:38   #14
BHPian

Hyundai has made my decision much simpler by removing the i10 AT magna in the new lineup and upping the price of the AT sportz by about 28k.

With the price difference after discounts at around a lakh, and knowing the depreciation automatics face, am FINALLY going with the A-Star ( yes yes , I know I brickbatted the A-Star on the AT test drive thread )

Can anyone recommend me the best dealer in NCR /Gurgaon ? I'm having serious issues with Apra (courteous but cant close a deal) and Vipul (not even bothered).
Old 20th February 2012, 17:39   #15
BHPian

Re: Automatic Required - but which one ??

How is the i10 in the automatic?
I have an i10 Sportz which i bought about 2 months ago. The manual gearshift feels amazing and the peppy engine helps me beat traffic amazingly!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks