Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2006, 11:09   #1
BHPian

Pics : Landrovers and other suv's visit the Himalayas

hey guys...its good to be back in mumbai where the temperature is still respectable.....after being in sub zeros temp for about 10 days ..mumbai feels peasant...
anyways i had just been to the foothills o the himalayas for a small expedition with all the men in our family.....it was one of the most exciting experiences of my life cause its the first time ive taken the suv's for serious off roading and drove in ice filled paths that could bearly manage the huge cars we were in......
our weapons for the terrain...
1. land rover range rover
2. newly restored land rover defender ( aditya uve seen this)
3. another land rover defender for the supplies
4. toyota land cruiser
5. totally modified maruti gypsy
6. forester (definiely indias best suv)
7. 6*6 landrover (one of a kind but joined us later in corbett cause it was too big to take to the himalayas)

anyways all of the cars had arrived in delhi from mumbai and were kept outside our house in friends colony and from there we left with 6 cars leaving the 6*6 to go alone to corbett with the women folk of the family..
all cars were equiped with snow tyres and all the works required for off roading.....one car was only for supplies including oxygen, heaters, and extra parts....the only serious problem we had was the fuel pump failure of the range rover which was fixed in 15 minutes cause we had extra pumps..alll cars except for the gypsy and forester had beem equippedwith ficd units.......we has two mechanics, one body guard and 4 drivers in total...me and my uncle drove throughout and my dad , two uncles and three cousins remained as passengers.
it was fun driving through rivers ....... muck and snow...
later we went to corbett too meet up with the women in the family for some wild life viewing..the 6*6 was built for this purpose only...it took my entire family of 25 in it....spotted 3 tigers in corbet and dikala and the roads out there were off roaders delight......
from there got back to delhi ...and one thing i want to say is that these delhi people have no road sense at all.......two wheelers are all over the place and the cars wont give u way to pass...all overtaking is done from the left only.....couldnt spend time in delhi cause had to get back in mumbai for a weeding....
thats all i want to tell u about
u will have better fun watching pics which i will post in the evening cause i got to go to work now........
Old 4th January 2006, 11:13   #2
Senior - BHPian

Thats an awesome expereince mate.. eagerly waiting for the pics!!
Old 4th January 2006, 15:28   #3
BHPian

Landrovers and other suv's visit he Himalayas (pics)

pics finally
sorry some pics have family members in it

the range rover

the blue silver defender

the other defender

the land cruiser

the forester

the gypsy

and finally 6*6 with me

some snow pics

misc pics

Pics : Landrovers and other suv's visit the Himalayas-allan01378qr.jpg
Pics : Landrovers and other suv's visit the Himalayas-allan01194by.jpg
Pics : Landrovers and other suv's visit the Himalayas-allan01152qu.jpg
Pics : Landrovers and other suv's visit the Himalayas-allan01162jm.jpg
Pics : Landrovers and other suv's visit the Himalayas-allan01170ns.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 25th February 2009 at 01:58. Reason: Moving pics over to Team-BHP hosting.
Old 4th January 2006, 15:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

Dude those are by far the best off roading pics I have seen in ages. And I just love that last pic of all the machines . Your 6*6 rocks but I'm totally in love with that blue & Silver coloured Defender

Can we make trip like this sometime ?
Old 4th January 2006, 16:17   #5
Team-BHP Support

Awesome pictures, man - all those Defenders & a Range Rover Classic! Man, a British car guy like myself will simply fall head over heels. How did your blue and silver Defender cope? Any breakdowns?
Nice to see the Gypsy and Forester rubbing shoulders with Land Rovers and the mighty Toyota Land Cruiser.
Old 4th January 2006, 16:31   #6
Senior - BHPian

Superb Pics. The Defenders are just too good and so is the Gypsy.
Old 4th January 2006, 16:52   #7
Team-BHP Support

Whooooaaa!!!!

Now THATS what an SUV is made for! Looks like you took over the hills for a brief period of time eh. I would've loved to see the looks on peoples faces as that convoy made its way through!

EDITE: What's been done to that Gypsy?

Last edited by Rtech : 4th January 2006 at 16:56.
Old 4th January 2006, 17:15   #8
BHPian

well no major breakdowns.....just a fuel pump failure for the rangerover....a small problem with the greens defenders electricals....the green defender was by the way mader eady in 3 days flat with complete suspension overhaul..aditya u must have seen it when u came but it was white then...
the last pics with all the cars together is in a dry river bed in corbett

rtech..the gypsy has gone through a major suspension overhaul......it was changed to coil spring but that did not work out to good so we went back to leaf spring.....but ow the springs are over the axle instead of under them and the leaf springs have been changed......it has roll bars all around it for standing purpose during safaris ....it has light force like all the other cars....the behind top is custom made and is totally diff from any other soft top available.....engine has been stripped and polished and air filter changed and it has a dual battery system along with an isolator for all the accesories....all in all the car is great for off roading....
Old 4th January 2006, 17:38   #9
BHPian

Simply superb...any plans to drive to south. Of course we have enough pot holes which your 4*4 & 6*6 will glide thru.

I admit - I'm gone mad at your 6*6....WOW
Old 4th January 2006, 17:42   #10
Joz
BHPian

Awesome set of wheels there and sounds like a must do trip for anyone who owns a 4*4... while the defenders and 6*6 are nice... i love the way that gypsy looks... xtreme, would be great if you could post a side view of that gypsy..love the color too.
Old 4th January 2006, 19:12   #11
BANNED

hey man that was jst ausum set of wheels i made the last pic of all the cars my pcs background thats jst ausumn man a family adventure

Last edited by thief : 4th January 2006 at 19:15.
Old 4th January 2006, 19:59   #12
BHPian

we are doing a trip in april-may this year to ladak and leh......only men...dippy u can come along if u get leave......no trips down south...up norths more fun cause of the cold and high altitude...
ill post more pics soon
Old 4th January 2006, 23:36   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme power
we are doing a trip in april-may this year to ladak and leh......only men...dippy u can come along if u get leave......no trips down south...up norths more fun cause of the cold and high altitude...
ill post more pics soon
Hey, Amazing pics .. !! As for ur Leh-Ladakh trip in April-May, I think June-July wud be a better time as April the road surely wont open and in May after it opens for the public they try and fix the damages that happen over the long winters .. though I know these machines wud luv the broken roads ....

Wonder what route u guys gonna take .. u cud always drop in incase u go via my back yard !!

Cheers
Old 5th January 2006, 00:17   #14
Team-BHP Support

Awesome pictures!! The gypsy looks quite beefed up. I am sure all Jeep/SUV lovers here are gonna drool over the pictures. Great stuff man.
Old 5th January 2006, 03:43   #15
BHPian

wow dude,those are aweomse pics and a really nice collection of cars, given the chance i would love to go for such a trip!!! once again simply awesome

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks