Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2008, 15:58   #31
BHPian
 
vikid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: UAE
Posts: 149
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
My Desert Duelers are really wide and work great in mud & sand, but require a much higher effort to turn (no power steering).

Regards,

hey RED: why dont you consider upgrading the R&P ratio; you will be a very happy person. The performance will be amazing
vikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2008, 16:17   #32
Senior - BHPian
 
gd1418's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,578
Thanked: 651 Times
Default

You get MT's in Delhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikid View Post
do you get MT's in india?
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2008, 16:46   #33
Senior - BHPian
 
ex670c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,454
Thanked: 1,789 Times
Default R&P - How will that help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikid View Post
hey RED: why dont you consider upgrading the R&P ratio; you will be a very happy person. The performance will be amazing
Hi Vikid,

If you mean Ring & Pinion can you please explain as to how it will help in improving Steering?

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2008, 16:49   #34
Senior - BHPian
 
ex670c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,454
Thanked: 1,789 Times
Default Are these Mud -Terrain Tyres

Hi Vikid,

The pic you have posted is of an MICKEY THOMPSON Baja ATZ.

Is that a Mud-Terrain Tyre?

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 18:00   #35
BHPian
 
RedMM340's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: on the move
Posts: 459
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikid View Post
hey RED: why dont you consider upgrading the R&P ratio; you will be a very happy person. The performance will be amazing
I assume you are talking about straight line acceleration etc. and not steering effort.

The stock R&P ratio was 5.38 which combined with a juiced up scorpio motor gives fantastic acceleration, but totally limits the top speed.

I switched to a 4.27 (or very close to this) and the acceleration is still very good and actually matches the engines torque characteristics much better. Problem is that it tops out at around 125 kph. But at least it gets to that top speed very quickly.

The 30x9.5R15 BFG Mud Terrains require very little effort for steering (for a jeep).
RedMM340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 22:37   #36
BHPian
 
vikid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: UAE
Posts: 149
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Vikid,

If you mean Ring & Pinion can you please explain as to how it will help in improving Steering?

Regards,

Arka
it wont; not related to steering. i didnt pay attention while reading and thought he experiences less power.

I cant think of anything to improve the steering if its not power assisted?
vikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 22:46   #37
BHPian
 
vikid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: UAE
Posts: 149
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Vikid,

The pic you have posted is of an MICKEY THOMPSON Baja ATZ.

Is that a Mud-Terrain Tyre?

Regards,

Arka
baja ATZ is a All-Terrain tyre; i guess Baja MTZ are mud terrain.
but i like the baja claws, are not noisy..
Attached Images
  
vikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2008, 12:04   #38
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 46,562
Thanked: 80,413 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
I switched to a 4.27 (or very close to this) and the acceleration is still very good and actually matches the engines torque characteristics much better.
I was running 4.27 with my stock 2.1 liter Peugeot. It did improve performance on the open road.

Quote:
Problem is that it tops out at around 125 kph. But at least it gets to that top speed very quickly.
I'd say thats in your favour. The CJ3B chassis was never meant to be a high speed cruiser, and is best at 90 - 100 kph. Any higher and the overall behaviour is vague or dangerous...depending on how you see it. The steering is horrible at speed.

Also, it is a bare basic 60 year old design. Safety (crumple zones etc.) is inexistent on the CJ3B.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2008, 16:13   #39
BHPian
 
vikid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: UAE
Posts: 149
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

so, if it takes lots of effort to steer; look at this option or similar..

The PSC Hydraulic Cylinder Assist Steering Kit, producing the proper valving ratios needed for extreme conditions. Kit includes steering gear, resevior, pump and cylinder kit along with all mounting hardware and hoses required. System requires use of fluid coolers for proper heat displacement and to keep from damaging pump.
Attached Images
 
vikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2008, 00:14   #40
BHPian
 
MM440's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 142
Thanked: 37 Times
Default

Practical thing that can be done :
1> Fit wider axles to help maintain wheel movement when turned.
2> Not doing so will mean damaged tires and suspension springs.Ask Arka his 540's 7.50x16 used to scrub the springs everytime he turned the steering.
3> Fit a petrol crown pinion 8/43 for better torque to turn the bigger tires,will negate the size to an extant.
4> Fit bigger brakes to ensure the vehicle stops when you want it to.
5> Fit a steering damper and also use heavier tie rod end to take the added load of the bigger tires.
6> Fit better rated SKF bearings in the front and back.
7> Convert the rear to a fully floating type axles to deal with stresses that will develop due to power transmission
8> Fit additional fender flares to prevent splash of mud onto body.Personally i like th designs that result from driving in the mud without fender flares and bigger tires.
9> Service you gearbox, else change over to the one used on the mahindra pikup which will reduce steering effort.
10> Fit freewheeling hubs from Lamda to make life easier for your engine in normal running.
Do the above and you will be able to fit the tire.Personally dont think you require JCB tires, the 9.00x16 tires you speak of are old arty issue used in the 16 pounders??? Well have seen them fitted to field artilery anyway.those are the treads (akin to NDMS)you are looking for,not agricultural JCB ones,
Cheers
Jammy


Quote:
Originally Posted by aandu View Post
hi ,

I am planning to fit 9.00 x 16" NDMS tires on a SWB Jeep. If you are wondering what tire this is, it is the one fitted on JCBs front wheels.

Wondering what kind of issues/performance I can expect. I could think of the following issues :

1. Need wider rims ( 6 to 6.5" width instead of the present 4.5")to fit the tires.
2. Need to increase clearance height to compensate for the bigger tires.
3. Better fuel efficiency due to large diameter of tire ?
4. Poor fuel efficiency due to heavier tires/rims ?
5. Poor braking due to bigger tires - Need to go for disc brakes.
6. Poor Pickup... Will the vehicle atleast move normally?

I am not in a position to fit the tires and then check out the performance. It would be better to at least in theory analyse it and then go for it...( if it makes sense...)

BTW it would have a Peugeot DI diesel engine, 5 speed gear box, 4x4, Free wheeling hubs, etc.

Regards
Anand
MM440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2008, 10:13   #41
Senior - BHPian
 
ex670c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,454
Thanked: 1,789 Times
Default JCB Tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM440 View Post
Practical thing that can be done :
1> Fit wider axles to help maintain wheel movement when turned.
2> Not doing so will mean damaged tires and suspension springs.Ask Arka his 540's 7.50x16 used to scrub the springs everytime he turned the
Do the above and you will be able to fit the tire.Personally dont think you require JCB tires, the 9.00x16 tires you speak of are old arty issue used in the 16 pounders??? Well have seen them fitted to field artilery anyway.those are the treads (akin to NDMS)you are looking for,not agricultural JCB ones,
Cheers
Jammy
I don't remember my tyres scrubbing the Leaf-spring because when I fitted the taller tyres, and had the turning radius adjusted behind the steering knuckle.

The 9.00X16 NDMS (MRF) NDCC(Ceat) are used on JCB front axle, also used on th 105mm IFG.

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2012, 10:16   #42
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: cochin
Posts: 6
Thanked: Once
Default re: Effect of bigger tyres on an offroader

Hi Guys,

I am actually new to Team-Bhp.. So i dont know the protocols or anything..

I am in the process of modifying my MM540 4x2.

It already contains a roll cage and bucket seats. I have installed a 235 70 r16 tires to the stock Jeep rims. I have been using the same for the past 1 year and there hasent been much problem.

I am planning to use the jeep on a regular basis, so decided to do some mods to make it comfortable and attractive.

Planning mods

1. Installing a used - refurbished BENZ power steering kit (Rs 22000)

2. Add booster to existing drum breaks (Rs 5000)

3. Clutch change to a rotary mechanism (not sure what it mean - but when i drove the vehicle with it done, it was really good) - Rs 3500

4. Wider Rims/alloys... I am confused on this... Since I have a 16inch rims and the tires are pretty new.... So the option of moving to a 15inch is not practical to me..
The other 2 options in my mind are
1 - widening the exiting rim and setting it with a negative profile
2 - Get a 160 PCD alloy and change pcd by drilling
3 - An alloy manufacture in Coimbatore has agreed to give me 139.7 pcd 16 inch alloys.. but they are taking for ever to follow up

Please advice on what best to do.. and also if you can help me source out 139.7 alloys from somewhere it would be good

My driving it mostly on the highways and some of my friends have advices me to move to Nylon tires as its easy to maintain and rethreading is possible. The jeep will be used to carry some loads...
I plan on using it on the weekends... so I would like to have wider tires and negative offset...
Can you please suggest a way to achieve this
visakh_nair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2012, 21:33   #43
BHPian
 
commander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Salem
Posts: 142
Thanked: 122 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by visakh_nair
Hi Guys,

I am actually new to Team-Bhp.. So i dont know the protocols or anything..

I am in the process of modifying my MM540 4x2.

It already contains a roll cage and bucket seats. I have installed a 235 70 r16 tires to the stock Jeep rims. I have been using the same for the past 1 year and there hasent been much problem.

I am planning to use the jeep on a regular basis, so decided to do some mods to make it comfortable and attractive.

Planning mods

1. Installing a used - refurbished BENZ power steering kit (Rs 22000)

2. Add booster to existing drum breaks (Rs 5000)

3. Clutch change to a rotary mechanism (not sure what it mean - but when i drove the vehicle with it done, it was really good) - Rs 3500

4. Wider Rims/alloys... I am confused on this... Since I have a 16inch rims and the tires are pretty new.... So the option of moving to a 15inch is not practical to me..
The other 2 options in my mind are
1 - widening the exiting rim and setting it with a negative profile
2 - Get a 160 PCD alloy and change pcd by drilling
3 - An alloy manufacture in Coimbatore has agreed to give me 139.7 pcd 16 inch alloys.. but they are taking for ever to follow up

Please advice on what best to do.. and also if you can help me source out 139.7 alloys from somewhere it would be good

My driving it mostly on the highways and some of my friends have advices me to move to Nylon tires as its easy to maintain and rethreading is possible. The jeep will be used to carry some loads...
I plan on using it on the weekends... so I would like to have wider tires and negative offset...
Can you please suggest a way to achieve this
Hi vishak,
Looks like the jeep bug has hit you as well. Please start a new thread as your posts will be off topic here. Am new to the jeep community as well but got to know a little bit during my rebuild. Was just casually browsing threads for a tyre size and happened to come across your post. As for your mods please go through a few threads which will make your jeep better , safer and save you money as well. Not an expert but just my suggestions on my limited knowledge.

1. Steering mod not good. Check MRCBT units used in pik ups. Have done it for my existing 245/70/16 and worth it.

2. Booster brakes should not be a problem. Clutch please consult.

3. Continue your tyres. 139.7 and 160 pcd disks available with swastik Viji. Have sourced them. No PCD.

Regards
Barani
commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2013, 17:15   #44
BHPian
 
Jerrycan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 160
Thanked: 107 Times
Default

[/quote]

2. Add booster to existing drum breaks (Rs 5000)

[/quote]

Adding a booster requires hanging pedals. If it's going to cost just 5k including labour, it's very cheap.

You might as well get disc brakes on the front.

[/quote]

2 - Get a 160 PCD alloy and change pcd by drilling

[/quote]

you will get ready made hubs for 160 pcd

Good luck for your moification
Regards
Jerrycan
Jerrycan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2016, 15:13   #45
BHPian
 
Roja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Outthere
Posts: 26
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Tata Xenon - Front torsion bar adjustment

Hey
So , I was looking at the possibility of tweaking the torsion bars on my Xenon to fit in 31 inch AT s. Would love to hear your thoughts about how, and advantages and disadvantages. Also any tips will be great.

Thank you
Roja is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spacers & OffSet Wheels for putting in bigger tyres | Pro's and Con's khan_sultan 4x4 Technical 20 13th May 2014 12:09
bigger tyres for enfield! devil_in_flesh Motorbikes 12 7th September 2009 13:11
NANO effect and EURO effect in Small Car market allwheeldrive The Indian Car Scene 8 15th June 2009 22:29
Dicor how good is it as an offroader ?? jango SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 14 9th December 2006 12:20
Need Guidance to buy an offroader pradeep_mk SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 13 25th July 2006 22:32


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:19.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks